The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2020, 10:00 AM   #1401
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
My dear village! It seems you could use the help of your Seer toDay.

Well I did do the math, and considered revealing yesterDay. But once I saw the lynch moving towards The Ka, I decided I needed to risk waiting one more Day and luckily it paid off. Thank you Shasta for putting out seerish vibes and saving me from the wolves one more Night.

So the math...

We have 8 players. 4 ordos, 2 wolves, 1 seer, 1 innocent child.

The good news: I know who 3 out of 4 ordos are: Lommy, Eonwe, Greenie.
The better news: I know 1 out the 2 wolves.

++Kath

That means there is one more wolf hiding among Rune, Boro, and Lottie.

So, if the innocent child comes out toDay, we can confirm the innocence of one more player. Then I can dream toNight and signal who the final wolf is toMorrow via the QT vote. We've got this village.

In case you're wondering about my dreams:

Night 1: Lommy
Night 2: Pitch
Night 3: Lhuna
Night 4: Shasta
Night 5: Eonwe
Night 6: Greenie
Night 7: Kath
Incredible. Absolutely amazing. What a Seer game! I don't know about the wolves, but I didn't think it was you for one second. What a play!

++Kath

I am not the last wolf; my initial reaction would be to say that I don't think it's Boro, either, but I was so wrong about Eonwe, maybe it's not a great idea to trust that at this point! Still, I don't know why a Borowolf would give up control of the QT vote if he secretly knew he had it, so I would guess that the last wolf is Rune.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:02 AM   #1402
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Those of you who are innocent: I urge you to talk more and actually have meaningful discussion toDay. When it turns out I'm innocent, you don't want to have realised you've wasted the Day's discussion as well as the vote.

edit: x-ed with Rune (I wrote this post and forgot to actually click 'submit')

Last edited by Eönwë; 05-17-2020 at 10:05 AM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:05 AM   #1403
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.

Amazing!

But, in all fairness, I'm gonna sit on this a sec and see if there's a counter reveal; I think it's the only prudent choice. Let's not shoot ourselves in the foot, right?

Now I don't really see why a wolf!Brinn would choose to save a packmate Eönwë like this - frankly, if there's a competing reveal that says he's a wolf, everyone would rather believe that one.

But something's just very off about the Shasta kill.

Anyway, extremely clever suggestion about the QT which I also think a not-genuine seer would not make.

I need to think a sec and do maths.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:05 AM   #1404
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Well done Brinn! I'm interested to see how the wolves react to this.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:17 AM   #1405
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

If you're wondering why I acted as I did...

To those of you who did want to quarantine me, think about this: if you were an innocent and someone who very well may have made a wolf slip was pretending to be the seer and voted you two Days in a row (while a real Seer would have already checked by that point), wouldn't you you go after him once it was clear he was not?

And when, after this ended up backfiring, someone else posted seerishly but hinted at you also being a wolf, wouldn't you suspect that too, even if the person they voted for does look a bit suspicious to you?

I really don't see what the benefit would've been in doing any of this as a wolf, except for maybe a more toned-down and refined version of my first post against Boro yesterDay.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:22 AM   #1406
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Let's do this then.

++Kath
Old 05-17-2020, 10:35 AM   #1407
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
We're 8, including 2 wolves.

We lynch an innocent toDay? ToMorrow is Day7 - we are 6, including 2 wolves. We lynch a wolf, then on Day8 we are 4 including 1. We need to lynch a wolf again. (We don't lynch a wolf toDay or toMorrow, game over immediately. But frankly that's not possible.)

We lynch a wolf toDay? ToMorrow it's 6, including 1 wolf. We miss our shot? On Day8 we have still the 4 including 1 scenario.

So: in short, in order to win we have to lynch 2 wolves in 3 days. In other words, we can afford to mislynch once.

So: I don't think it would make sense for the wolves to fake seer reveal in this situation. Okay, maybe to "flush out the real seer" but what's really the chance at this point that the real seer 1) won't come out toDay anyway, 2) would survive the next Night in hiding?

I'm still quite baffled by this turn of events, probably because I still find it hard to believe Eönwë is innocent (really, the wolves have been killing people who suspected him for at least three Nights in a row. What's up with that?)

(Side note: Also recalling what I said about there having to be one wolf among Brinn-Boro-Eönwë. Hmm...)

Lastly - I did the maths, what Brinn says about the innocent child is foolproof, especially with the clever qt communication plan. The innocent child will not die if they come out in this case. (Of course if they're neurotic, they can do it very late toDay and wait if a more credible counter reveal appears. But I just don't know what would be a more believable counter reveal. I mean this reveal comes with a great innocent village plan that no sane wolf would spell out loud. MAYBE this could be a brilliant wolf move if the wolves would win if we mislynched toDay. But as it is? Highly doubt it. Stellar job from Brinn either way. )

Seriously this is a bit too good to be true?! If Brinn is legit, we just won???

But yes, the innocent child has to come out for this to work. And there's no way the bad guys in the qt can mess this up either.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:43 AM   #1408
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottie
Incredible. Absolutely amazing. What a Seer game! I don't know about the wolves, but I didn't think it was you for one second. What a play!
Thank you! I did my best to leave clues but remain undetected. When dreamed of Lhuna, I made my suspicions of her clear, but I didn't want to be the driving force of her lynch, especially once that bandwagon took off. I never did dream of Inzil because if I was wrong about him, pulling a Legate180 could be too obvious to the wolves (sorry Inzil). I really thought I could be killed last Night after defending Eonwe's innocence, but they went for Shasta instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
But something's just very off about the Shasta kill.
I was a little surprised about it. But my guess is they thought he was a seer who hadn't dreamt of Eonwe yet. If that's the case, then I think Lottie's more likely innocent.

Quote:
I am not the last wolf; my initial reaction would be to say that I don't think it's Boro, either, but I was so wrong about Eonwe, maybe it's not a great idea to trust that at this point! Still, I don't know why a Borowolf would give up control of the QT vote if he secretly knew he had it, so I would guess that the last wolf is Rune.
My guess is Rune too, but I'm not going to completely discount the possibility of you or Boro being evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
Seriously this is a bit too good to be true?! If Brinn is legit, we just won???
I think yeah, pretty much. That's why I had to come out toDay.

If the Innocent Child doesn't come out, we can technically afford a mislynch toMorrow if I don't dream a wolf. However, I can't understand why they wouldn't come out at this point.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:44 AM   #1409
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
But, in all fairness, I'm gonna sit on this a sec and see if there's a counter reveal; I think it's the only prudent choice. Let's not shoot ourselves in the foot, right?
I'm not sure why there would be a counter reveal. The 2 remaining wolves need two innocents lynched to win.

So there is no sense in Brinnwolf faking seer now. If she is, then the real seer should still stay hidden, because lynching an innocent today wouldn't result in wolf victory

Lynch Kath today...

If wolf, then Brinn will surely be killed at night.

If Kath's innocent, then it's clear Brinn was lying and we lynch her tomorrow.

To Brinn, I would say think if who of the unknowns you're going to dream of tonight and lets set up a signal with the QT vote tomorrow.

Say you post before the end of day you're going to dream Lottie.

If Lottie turns up wolf, get the QT to vote Lottie. Game set match.

If Lottie turns up innocent, get the QT to vote for one of the confirmed/dreamed innocents and it would signal to us that you dreamed Lottie innocent. Because even with the QT and the 1 wolf, there would still be enough innocents to not lynch Lottie.

I don't think there's any way of wolves tampering with that signal.

Edit: crossed with Lommy and Brinn

Last edited by Boromir88; 05-17-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:21 AM   #1410
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Erm ... no I'm not? I'm mean I'm nothing exciting like the Seer or the Innocent Child either but I'm not a wolf.

I have no time toDay and just popped in to see what was happening. Wasn't expecting this! I'm not going to be around until near deadline now so I guess do what you have to do? The numbers are still on our side if an innocent is lynched toDay I believe so while I'd obviously rather we lynched a wolf toDay, if it's easier just to go for me then so be it.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:25 AM   #1411
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I have to say, what a game this has been. Absolutely insane and suspenseful. Also a beautiful demonstration that virtually anything can be done by either an innocent or a wolf. There's almost no foolproof logic to things. Also probably people who analyse Night kills might pay more attention than those who committed the Night kills in the first place.

Also did I personally learn anything? If I'm convinced someone's a wolf, they most likely are not. *blowing kisses to Mac, Sally, Inzil and Eönwë*

Wellll at least I got Lhuna and Ka and several of the innocents right........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Erm ... no I'm not? I'm mean I'm nothing exciting like the Seer or the Innocent Child either but I'm not a wolf.

I have no time toDay and just popped in to see what was happening. Wasn't expecting this! I'm not going to be around until near deadline now so I guess do what you have to do? The numbers are still on our side if an innocent is lynched toDay I believe so while I'd obviously rather we lynched a wolf toDay, if it's easier just to go for me then so be it.
I'm sure you'd say this as a wolf with no time either, but thank you for not taking the fake reveal route. Even though it would have been entertaining.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:29 AM   #1412
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
My dear village! It seems you could use the help of your Seer toDay.

Well I did do the math, and considered revealing yesterDay. But once I saw the lynch moving towards The Ka, I decided I needed to risk waiting one more Day and luckily it paid off. Thank you Shasta for putting out seerish vibes and saving me from the wolves one more Night.

So the math...

We have 8 players. 4 ordos, 2 wolves, 1 seer, 1 innocent child.

The good news: I know who 3 out of 4 ordos are: Lommy, Eonwe, Greenie.
The better news: I know 1 out the 2 wolves.

++Kath

That means there is one more wolf hiding among Rune, Boro, and Lottie.

So, if the innocent child comes out toDay, we can confirm the innocence of one more player. Then I can dream toNight and signal who the final wolf is toMorrow via the QT vote. We've got this village.

In case you're wondering about my dreams:

Night 1: Lommy
Night 2: Pitch
Night 3: Lhuna
Night 4: Shasta
Night 5: Eonwe
Night 6: Greenie
Night 7: Kath
If this turns out to be true, and I don't see why it shouldn't, it means I have played the worst game ever. I mean, I will have been wrong about 95-100% of my suspicions...

I cannot see any logic in a wolf doing a fake reveal, as they would surely be lynched tomorrow. I guess if the wolves are Brinn and Eönwë it would buy them some time, but it really dosen't seem likely. So yeah, I am very much inclined to believe Brinn.

I am innocent. If Lottie is a wolf then she is ruthless, if Boromir is a wolf then he is very bold. Right now I am inclined to believe that the last wolf is Boromir, but I don't have anything in particular to back it up.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:32 AM   #1413
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
I think Shasta and Brinn just won us the game.

Actually (smug moment) I did think Brinn was a possible Seer from Day 1. I mean, look at this -

Quote:
Originally Posted by G55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel
Hey guys! I've come bearing gifts - masks, hand sanitizer, soap, and most importantly...toilet paper! Now I better see you all using these items - we wouldn't want to spread any diseases now, would we?
Beware of Greeks bearing gifts!
She literally started her first post of the game with "I come bearing gifts" - and what's even crazier, G55 actually noticed it and pointed it out under the guise of responding to banter. If anything, that exchange made me rather doubt whether Brinn could be the real Seer given that the wolves didn't kill her for it. Well played, hun!

As for the Shasta kill - I think it's possible that the wolves just pegged him as a possible Seer based on his comments about Ka, Lottie and me. To be honest, I first read his stuff about Eonwe as more like someone he suspected and was going to dream next, though admittedly still somewhat incriminating without the knowledge we now have. That whole thing still makes me think Lottie is innocent though, which leaves the last wolf to be Boro or Rune. I'm guessing Rune is the likelier candidate, though I'd still need to try and figure out whether Boro's non-reveal still makes sense as a wolf thing given Eonwe's innocence.

Last thing - smug moments re: Brinn and Kath notwithstanding, I was obviously wrong about Eonwe. Note to self: next time I have a feeling someone is innocent but my logic says they're not, I shouldn't listen to the logic because werewolf isn't a logical game. Sorry Eonwe (not to mention Mac, Sally and Inzil - this hasn't been my brightest game ever ), lesson learned.

Also might as well get this over with -

++Kath
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:41 AM   #1414
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

So no counter claim? How boring! I like fake reveals and hunter kills and all kinds of other messy complications

++Kath

Now where's the innocent baby child whose head we all want to pat next for doing well and surviving? I have a guess, but given my track record of guessing anyone's roles (*compulsory side-eye at Boro* ) in this game I think I'll spare myself further humiliation and just shut up...
Old 05-17-2020, 11:44 AM   #1415
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
To Brinn, I would say think if who of the unknowns you're going to dream of tonight and lets set up a signal with the QT vote tomorrow.

Say you post before the end of day you're going to dream Lottie.

If Lottie turns up wolf, get the QT to vote Lottie. Game set match.

If Lottie turns up innocent, get the QT to vote for one of the confirmed/dreamed innocents and it would signal to us that you dreamed Lottie innocent. Because even with the QT and the 1 wolf, there would still be enough innocents to not lynch Lottie.
Um, I was thinking less complicated than that. Like if the person I dream is innocent then I will not vote for them, but still vote for an unknown.

It would be nice to know who the innocent child is before I decide who to dream of, so I don't waste the dream on them. Anyone?
Old 05-17-2020, 11:45 AM   #1416
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Now where's the innocent baby child whose head we all want to pat next for doing well and surviving? I have a guess, but given my track record of guessing anyone's roles (*compulsory side-eye at Boro* ) in this game I think I'll spare myself further humiliation and just shut up...
I think that's everyone! No counter reveal, so:

I am the Innocent Child.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:49 AM   #1417
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

1420! Toast to Brinn and Lottie

Quote:
Um, I was thinking less complicated than that. Like if the person I dream is innocent then I will not vote for them, but still vote for an unknown.
Yeah this makes sense. Now the remaining unknowns are Boro and Rune, so when Brinn has had her dream she knows which one is which, and can just organise the cuties to vote the wolfy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote
I am the Innocent Child.
Good job, little one! *pats head*
Old 05-17-2020, 11:49 AM   #1418
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Yes.

Lottie is Lalaith, the Innocent Child.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:51 AM   #1419
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Good job, little one! *pats head*
Remember when Sally was going to hunt me and I didn't reveal? That was so stressful!
Old 05-17-2020, 11:52 AM   #1420
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
Remember when Sally was going to hunt me and I didn't reveal? That was so stressful!

........well hey at least it made me consider you innocent..........
Old 05-17-2020, 11:54 AM   #1421
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Also, I totally might get Night killed for revealing here, but it's worth it if it allows Brinn to guarantee the win.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:55 AM   #1422
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:

........well hey at least it made me consider you innocent..........
In the end, I decided it was less of a certain death to try to just persuade Sally than it would be to reveal that early. But it was one rough deadline.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:01 PM   #1423
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:

It would be nice to know who the innocent child is before I decide who to dream of, so I don't waste the dream on them. Anyone?
Wasn't thinking about the Innocent Child revealing, just there being 3 unknowns and 1 wolf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post

I am the Innocent Child.
Wish you had not felt the need to do that, giving Rune the chance to salvage one small victory. Ah, well it is done.

++Kath
Old 05-17-2020, 12:05 PM   #1424
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Yes.

It’s official, I have been wrong about everything!

It will be nice to win, even if my contribution have been on par with a cobbler.

Old 05-17-2020, 12:08 PM   #1425
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

++Kath

Last edited by Rune Son of Bjarne; 05-17-2020 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Formatting
Old 05-17-2020, 12:08 PM   #1426
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NogMod
I suspected as much. Mainly because if Rune were the IC, I think he would've revealed when it looked like he might get lynched the other Day and I don't think an IC Boro would put a target on his back with his fake seer ploy.

And you know, I was kinda frustrated when Sally switched her hunt to Mac since he seemed more innocent to me at the time, but now I'm certainly glad she did!

So either Boro or Rune is our final wolf. Any preference on who I dream? Either way, the GT will find out who the wolf is before the end of toMorrow, but I'd love to hear opinions before I make my decision (which will be soon).
Old 05-17-2020, 12:08 PM   #1427
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Wish you had not felt the need to do that, giving Rune the chance to salvage one small victory. Ah, well it is done.
The only chance the remaining wolf has is hoping that his fellows in the QT can mess up the vote toMorrow. If Brinn lives, their fate is sealed. So I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that I will be Night killed.

On the other hand, you're the only other person who seemed to realize (or at least said) that the wolves might want to Night kill me as a consolation prize - which may point to your being a wolf after all. Glad Brinn is going to find out for sure, and I don't have to try to guess!
Old 05-17-2020, 12:38 PM   #1428
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Quote:
Also, I totally might get Night killed for revealing here, but it's worth it if it allows Brinn to guarantee the win.
I think it's more likely the last wolf will kill me toNight, but it's possible they'll choose you. Either way it's done - it's just a matter of whether the GT will need to wait for the QT vote or not.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:51 PM   #1429
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
So either Boro or Rune is our final wolf. Any preference on who I dream? Either way, the GT will find out who the wolf is before the end of toMorrow, but I'd love to hear opinions before I make my decision (which will be soon).
I don't think I'm included in this request for a preference. But I prefer Rune

I did provide cover and protect you from the infectors until yesterday. I hope that counts for something.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:55 PM   #1430
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Oh you lot are no fun!

Alright ...

++KATH

And next time I play as a wolf I will go with my own blasted Seer feelings!! Soooo nearly had her ...

Old 05-17-2020, 01:00 PM   #1431
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
QT vote

The Quarantine Thread has voted.

++ Kath

An unanimous vote so far.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:04 PM   #1432
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Final words

I do have to say kudos to the baddies - spotting them was not easy and for me it was more of a process of elimination than anything.

I'm actually torn on who the final wolf is. Initially I was thinking Rune, but the last few posts from Boro has me questioning him again. But if he is a wolf, he would be a bold one indeed.

Okay, I have to run and will likely not be back before the end of the Day. So I'm going to dream of Boromir - just because I can't stand the idea of assuming him more likely innocent all this time and end up being wrong.

If the final wolf kills me toNight, you'll hear from me via the QT. If Boro is evil the QT vote will be for him. If he's innocent, the QT vote will be for Rune. The QT will be 10-5 by toMorrow, so as long as the other quarantined innocent villagers show up and vote, I can't see how the baddies in the thread could mess it up.

That's all from me. Should I be quarantined, I'll see you on the other side.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:17 PM   #1433
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thumbs up

Thank you, Brinn!
Old 05-17-2020, 02:38 PM   #1434
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Thanks for everything Brinn!

Not that there's much point in having this discussion since based on our numbers it wouldn't have much effect, but I really couldn't help feeling while reading this that Boro was trying to find a way to muddy the signal and add an extra vote for an innocent with this:
Quote:
Since Brinn mentioned it in her reveal post, I find this hard to believe this:
Quote:
Wasn't thinking about the Innocent Child revealing, just there being 3 unknowns and 1 wolf.
In any case, Lommy and Brinn put a stop to it and unless two people were to miss out on the vote toMorrow, it still wouldn't be enough to get us to quarantine an innocent.

But maybe I was wrong about Boro all along and Rune's the wolf. It's easy to see evil when you already suspect it. We'll see soon enough.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:44 PM   #1435
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Yes, thank you.

Will Boro be found innocent in the eyes of Brinn?
Will our heroes be saved from Morgoth’s Black Plague?
Will the Innocent survive?

Tune in next time, same Wight-time. Same Wight-channel
Old 05-17-2020, 02:57 PM   #1436
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Well, if the wolf decides to accept his fate and go for me out of spite, it's been a really, really fun game.
Old 05-17-2020, 03:00 PM   #1437
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Night 8 / Closing Day 7

After thinking over everything through and through for several times, Húrin knew what to do. It wasn’t an easy decision, but it was what he had to do. He called the survivors under the oak and addressed them.

“My dear friends and kinsmen. It is time I share with you my knowledge and my decision”.

There was a keen silence and all the eyes were fixed on him.

“Morgoth has spoiled some of us and they have been franticly searching for someone who was in turn aided by the forces of light. It only became clear to me little by little, that I was the one. Remember when I was convinced old Sador had fallen under the spell: it felt wrong to me as his lord and friend of so many years, but somehow I knew it. Now I know another and will come clear with it, whatever it might mean to me.”

People were confused, especially about the last sentence.

“Now that I’m in the open, the last one will come to me, and he has the power of Morgoth in him, which I’m afraid is too much for me to fight against. I mean how were these ordinary people able to overpower Huor? He’s a strong warrior and he was armed, but still they beat him.”

People glanced at each other starting to realize the sacrifice Húrin was making. But Húrin turned lovingly to his wife and child.

“It may be I could have had something to do in the wars to come, but here and now as your lord, I’m responsible to you: to my family, my friends, my kinsmen. I couldn’t live if I didn’t do this now, and would then have lost any more of you my friends.”

Morwen bit her lip and took her husband by the hand.

“So…” Húrin broke the uneasy silence. “Algund and Gethron, take Forweg. He’s the second last Infector.”

With that the big man turned and came yelling wildly towards Húrin, but Algund and Gethron were on him already. Forweg struggled but finally, with the help of both Aerin and Húrin himself, he was tied down and dragged to the Great Hall.

“I may not wake up healthy tomorrow, but I trust you can find out the last one – as I know, it is either good old blind Ragnir or sweet Aerin. Others of you I know are not infected by this monstrosity."

"But we will defend you, everyone, we all!" Morwen said determinatedly. "Aren't we?"

The others agreed in unison. Only one of them was not sincere.

~*~

Dead, yes dead

Nogrod – “The Badger”, the Mod (dead on Night1)
Urwen – Glóredhel, healthy person (withered away in grief during Day2)

Quarantined

Galadriel55 – Andróg, the Cobbler (voted into QT on Day1)
Rikae – Haldir, formerly healthy person (infected by the shady Infectors on Night2)
Huinesoron – Hareth, an Infector (voted into QT on Day2)
Kitanna – Huor, the Ranger (infected in the woods by the Infectors on Night3)
Sally – Túrin, the Hunter (voted into QT on Day3)
Macalaure – Grithnir, healthy person (dragged into the QT by the Hunter on Day3)
Legate of Amon Lanc – Asgon, healthy person (infected sneakily on Night4)
Lhunardawen – Sador, an Infector (voted into QT on Day4)
Lalaith – Rían, healthy person (overrun and infected by the Infectors on Night5)
Inziladun – Halmir, healthy person (voted into QT on Day5)
Pitchwife – Turin’s Nurse, healthy person (infected by the Infectors on Night6)
THE Ka – Indor, an Infector (voted into QT on Day6)
Shastanis Althreduin – Brandir, healthy little child (outrageously infected on Night7)
Kath – Forweg, an Infector (unanimously quarantined on Day7)

Hanging around

Thinlómien
Loslote
A Little Green
Boromir88
Brinniel
Eönwë
Rune Son of Bjarne

It’s now Night 8

... and it is dark.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:00 PM   #1438
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Day 8

As the night fell the villagers gathered around a great fire under the village oak. Húrin and Morwen sat side by side beside the great old tree. Next to them on one side sat Algund and on the other Gethron, both soldiers looking grave but alert, their eyes intensely on the two people on the opposite side of the fire. Blind Ragnir seemed to look at nowhere like he did, and Aerin looked anguished.

Three years old Lalaith didn’t stand the silence and grimness of the situation she didn’t quite understand. She was not content to sit on her mother’s or father’s lap but wanted to go on running around, or sitting in either Ragnir’s or Aerin’s lap like she had used to. Her parents allowed her to climb in the tree for a while but even that fun didn’t last long. Finally, after a few hours of shared inconvenience for everyone – as there was nothing else to do or say for anyone around the fire but to follow her frustration and childish energy only slowly wearing out – she fell asleep in Morwen’s lap.

There was an awkward silence.

Suddenly Algund turned his head towards the gate. “Did you hear that?”, he whispered as the others tried to see into the darkness. “There is movement there”, Gethron said softly reaching silently for his bow.

“Orcs. This is no coincidence…” Húrin muttered between his teeth. He turned to Morwen. “Take Lalaith out from here”, he hissed, “But not to the Guesthouse or anyway far… Sador’s hut… that’s just around the corner, it has a sturdy door which can be bolted from inside”

Morwen looked startled, but still managed to look at her husband stoutly in the eyes, holding sleeping little Lalaith tighter to her bosom. She nodded.

“Go now, But go quietly” he leaned lightly towards her and kissed her shortly on the forehead. Morwen started backing away slowly and quietly.

“Whatever happens, you two, don’t leave my sight”, he said then to Ragnir and Aerin, quietly but clearly. “Fight for your life, but don’t try anything. Algund, Gethron or I myself will put killing either of you in front of any orc-bussiness, if one of you tries to sneak away.” With that he glanced at the two warriors. They nodded back to their lord.

Húrin threw his knife to Aerin. “I know you don’t carry a weapon, but it’s your right to fight for your life.”

Then the orcs were upon them.

~*~

An orc raiding-party, deserters from war, a few self-nominated brigands… whatever they were, it was clear to Húrin, Morgoth had his fingers in this. Of all the nights they broke into their village this night.

It was hard to say how many they were, but Húrin didn’t care of their numbers. He was ready to kill a hundred if it needed be so.

“Four on the left!” Gethron yelled while releasing his first arrow.

“At least six straight ahead!” called Algund drawing his blade.

“Fall back”, Húrin said sternly to Ragnir and Aerin. “You don’t want to receive the first blow”. Before rushing forwards with his sword he glanced the two one more time. “You watch each other as tightly as you watch these vile creatures! Defend, but don’t try to run away! I’ll be watching you. Even save you if I can.”

Gethron managed a second arrow before he had to draw his axe.

Algund was clearly shorthanded against several orcs – and Húrin flew to aid him.
Suddenly, as the battle had just begun, the orcs seemed to vanish in thin air. A black whirlwind blew through them and also Ragnir and Aerin were both gone.

Just as Húrin yelled his warriors to hurry back, there was a real enough orc-club hitting him in the back. He heard Algund roaring “My lord!” and then everything went black.

~*~

Morwen rushed towards Sador’s hut when she heard the fight start. Her blood ran cold but she forced herself to continue running even if she felt she was tripping in her dress with every step she made. Tears in her eyes she tried to reach the hut as fast as possible. Open the door. Bolt it behind you. Get into cover inside. Defend your sunshine. Defend the light of men. Fight like a shewolf.

Lalaith had woken up. She was wriggling in her arms trying to get free from her grip. “No Lalaith, not now! We need to make it to the hut!”

All of a sudden, just a few yards away from the hut, something or someone grasped her legs and she fell face on to the ground, partly stumbling to her own feet.
“Lalaith!” she cried as she fell down and felt her grip loosen form her child.

The last thing she was conscious of, before she was hit in the back with a knife, was Lalaith screaming, sounding more confused than afraid.

~*~

There weren’t that many orcs after all. Maybe a half a dozen. When the phantoms of Morgoth disappeared, Algund and Gethron had only two real ones to deal with. Rushing back they ran into blind Ragnir standing alone with his small blade in the darkness shaking all over. Húrin was down but seemed alive. Gethron stayed with their lord with Ragnir while Algund rushed towards Sador’s hut.

There he found Morwen lying on the ground face down and bleeding heavily from a wound on her back.

“Where is the Laughter?”, he yelled so loud Morwen came to her senses.

“Lalaith!” she cried out. “Someone took her…”, she added murmured, trying to force herself up. With the help of the old soldier, Morwen managed to get up to her feet and they limped slowly towards the Great Hall. Gethron and Ragnir had dragged Húrin there as well.

The door of the Great Hall opened slowly. Aerin stepped to the doorway holding Lalaith in her arms.

“You won this fight. But Morgoth took your hope of a future with his failure.”
With that she closed the door – it was all over.

Left healthy and alive in the end

Brinniel – Húrin
Thinlómien – Morwen
A Little Green - Algund
Eönwë - Gethron
Rune Son of Bjarne – Blind Ragnir

The Quarantined

Galadriel55 – Andróg, the Cobbler (voted into QT on Day1)
Rikae – Haldir, formerly healthy person (infected by the shady Infectors on Night2)
Huinesoron – Hareth, an Infector (voted into QT on Day2)
Kitanna – Huor, the Ranger (infected in the woods by the Infectors on Night3)
Sally – Túrin, the Hunter (voted into QT on Day3)
Macalaure – Grithnir, healthy person (dragged into the QT by the Hunter on Day3)
Legate of Amon Lanc – Asgon, healthy person (infected sneakily on Night4)
Lhunardawen – Sador, an Infector (voted into QT on Day4)
Lalaith – Rían, healthy person (overrun and infected by the Infectors on Night5)
Inziladun – Halmir, healthy person (voted into QT on Day5)
Pitchwife – Turin’s Nurse, healthy person (infected by the Infectors on Night6)
THE Ka – Indor, an Infector (voted into QT on Day6)
Shastanis Althreduin – Brandir, healthy little child (outrageously infected on Night7)
Kath – Forweg, an Infector (unanimously quarantined on Day7)
Loslote – Lalaith, a totally innocent and healthy villager (kidnapped by the last Infector on Night8)
Boromir88 – Aerin, an Infector (self-surrendered in the end of Night8)

~*~

THE GAME IS OVER

VILLAGE WIN!

THE INFECTORS CLAIM THE CONSOLATION PRIZE.

What a game this was!

And it earned a decent finish instead of withering away slowly. Thanks to Boro for wishing to make it thus.

I suggest we should have the discussion in the “Discussion Thread”, but whatever and where-ever. Let’s try to keep it in one Thread anyway. That means Tol-in-Gaurhoth CXIV – The Evil Breath of Morgoth in Dor-lómin, discussion thread

PS. Well, it was not exactly “all over”. The people in the quarantine were just ill – or some even healthy. One can recover from illness and one can get infected if hanging with people who are already ill, and surely, some people die from illness while others don’t.

I did the “behind the scenes” epidemiological survey to find out what happened to everyone.

Coming in a moment...
Old 05-18-2020, 03:27 PM   #1439
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Epilogue

What happened to everyone who were put on the quarantine?

Well, here's what happened.

Andróg (G55) might have his leanings, but he was healthy when he got into the QT and stayed so until D4 when he got ill by Hareth (Huinesoron). Somehow he fell really deep into the sickness, getting deeper into it, like triple-infection, both on N&D5. He never recovered from that and was banished from the village – to make a career as an outlaw.

The first actually infected person to enter the QT was Haldir (Rikae) for 9 consecutive Days/Nights before she gor better. He didn’t infect anyone, but there were questions asked afterwards, whether he should have fought more valiantly in the Nirnaeth….

Hareth (Huinesoron) did infect Asgon (Legate), but otherwise was unsuccessful in her attempts to spread the virus. In the end she recovered only just and just to see her sons flourish and then wither away.

Huor (Kitanna) got infected a double infection immediately on arrival, and more on D4 and N8. He was also sadly responsible for infecting old Halmir who later died into his illness and never saw the battlefield again. Huor did miraculously survive seeing Aerin and Lalaith coming in and gathered all his spiritual energy to save the little Lalaith from infection. After the recovery he was only a shell of his former self and died in a less glorified manner in Nirnaeth.

Túrin (Sally) stayed well from the very first Night he was put into the Quarantine and never felt any symptoms of the disease. Unfathomable are the ways of Valar.

Grithnir (Macalaure) got infected one Night and one Day after he was quarantined against anyone’s will on Day3 by Túrin. He was well built and strong though, and even if he didn’t exactly get well during the time of our story, he did incidentally recover from the illness – to pay it back by helping Túrin in his adventures.

Asgon (Legate) was infected by Night but as a steadfast warrior got over it in relatively short time. So he was able to help Túrin later on, like the original legendarium tells us.

Poor old Sador (Lhuna) showed some decent resistance against Morgoth’s spells and did actually get fine in a few days. With Túrin and Huor he was one of those who were locked in the QT for the longest being heatlhy.

Rían (Lalaith) did indeed fight for her life, being very ill all the time believing her husband would die. She did survive in the end upon hearing Haldir had gotten better against all odds. She committed a suicide after news from Nirnaeth and Haldir’s final death spread to Brethil Woods.

Old Halmir (Inziladun) entered the QT healthy, but got the infection from Huor. It was a sad business indeed. Like Morgoth himself had planned it. Being too old and weak, Halmir never entered a battlefield again after this episode. Sadly his son and heir wasn’t able to fill his place in Nirnaeth and the results were that much worse.

Túrin’s Nurse (Pitchwife) was a healthy young woman and fought the illness over in a couple of days coming out fresh and clean, ready to take care of the children once again.

Indor (THE Ka) was too old and weak to resist Morgoth’s spell and even if everyone tried their best he did in the end die on it. A little prematurely maybe, but not long before it would have been his time anyway.

Brandir (Shasta) was a little child, and his body just pushed the virus away, like a child forgets a bad thing when seeing ice-cream (like meeting healthy Túrin inside to play with).

Forweg (Kath) had been under Morgoth’s spell for a long time, but he was a stout man and did away with it quite easily. Some people still think that his later destinies were tied into this little incident. Otherwise he might have been counted among the heroes of men, instead of being remembered just as a decent outlaw.

Lalaith (Lottie) went into the QT forced by Aerin, but she laughed all the way – and rejoiced even more meeting her brother there – and Brandir – and if there was a sign of an infection in her by Aerin, she did recover from it astonishingly fast and without notice.

Aerin (Boro) had a strong will and recovered in the end – even if it took time. She was thus able to help Morwen in the future and was an instrumental part of the story of the Children of Húrin.

Last edited by Nogrod; 05-18-2020 at 03:55 PM.