The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2002, 09:29 PM   #1
zifnab
Shade of Carn Dûm

zifnab has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Magic in Middle Earth?

I was just wondering about magic in M-E, was the Istari , Maiar, Valar, Ring-bearers, and some of Morguth/Saurons creations the only ones that could use magic, I cant seem to recall anybody else.

I always thought it was Elrond himself(with his own magic powers), that helped Frodo across the Ford by Rivendell, but I read that it was the ring, Vilya’s power in doing that ( but in the movie I believe it is Arwen that seems to be casting a spell on the Nazgul/Ford).

Did the Rangers have any magic powers, and any Elves or Men, without the use of an item/artifact?

Quote:
Lady Galadriel talking to Sam about the Mirror of Galadriel.
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel. Did you not say that you wished to see Elf-magic?"
It seems to me from this that there is Elf-magic out there being used.

And who made all the artifacts(Besides the rings of course)?

Just some more silly questions! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Gandalf
Old 01-08-2002, 11:28 PM   #2
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Sting

There's a lot about Tolkien's use of the word "magic", and what it meant in his stories in The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien. Here's a quote you may be interested in:
Quote:
Anyway, a difference in the use of 'magic' in this story is that it is not to be come by by 'lore' or spells; but is in an inherent power not possessed or attainable by Men as such. Aragorn's 'healing' might be regarded as 'magical', or at least a blend of magic with pharmacy and 'hypnotic' processes. But it is (in theory) reported by hobbits who have very little notions of philosophy and science; while A. is not a pure 'Man', but at long remove one of the 'children of Luthien'.
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 10:12 AM   #3
zifnab
Shade of Carn Dûm

zifnab has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Thanks for the info Obloquy, theres still ALOT of Tolkien stuff out there that I HAVENT read yet. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Gandalf