Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #3681
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I'm in no position to judge anyone being off a day or two. And you seem to have more than a good reason for being absent. There is time for fictional characters to the end of the world but not to the real ones.

All my well-wishes to you and your dad. Against the call of Dylan Thomas I do hope he goes gently into that good night.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #3682
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
What Nogrod said. There is no hurry to post, and this should be the last thing on your mind at a time like this. And you know that you have our well-wishes and support, as small as it is, all the time.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:53 AM   #3683
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thanks so much for the good thoughts and words, friends.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #3684
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I've been meaning to ask if any of the writers for other women who would be in the kitchen are around and feel like writing. I thought it would be nice if someone actually pressed Ledwyn into telling her story.

And since the last post was about Harreld, I had a random idea that Theolain could follow Harreld around - without the need for his knowledge or consent, at least at first. I don't know what exactly happens next, but I have all the worst intentions for him. Are you ok with that, Elempi? If you have other plans for Harreld, I could stalk another character, or just "go exploring".
Old 06-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #3685
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Stalk as it please you, G55.

I was wondering if there might be anyone who takes exception to my license with a Human being able to do a limited form of osanwe, but nobody has said anything yet.

At any rate, my thought is that Harreld being especially introspective, is able to communicate inside his own mind if an Elf shows up there, but that's his limit. Sound okay?
Old 06-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #3686
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Actually, I'm really excited to hear more of this osanwe. When I read your post I thought that it would be a totally awesome loop to add to the story - which it already is. I was coming up with possible reasons for why it is there - ranging from "Harreld is just an introspective person" (which is what lmp says) to "he is an indirect (and unknowing) descendant of an Elf, probably Mithrellas, but perhaps of Luthien-through Numenor, so he has more potential than other Humans"... And all kind of crazy combinations in between...

So, in other words, I really like the osanwe discovery. And your post, btw.

I'll write up a post for Theolain today.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:22 PM   #3687
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
I was wondering if there might be anyone who takes exception to my license with a Human being able to do a limited form of osanwe, but nobody has said anything yet.
There has already been an RPG that Mithadan and I and Child of the 7th Age wrote in where a Human was able to do some osanwe. I have no doubt you'll handle your osanwe venture well.

~*~ Pio
Old 06-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #3688
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by piosenniel View Post
There has already been an RPG that Mithadan and I and Child of the 7th Age wrote in where a Human was able to do some osanwe. I have no doubt you'll handle your osanwe venture well.

~*~ Pio
Well, good! And thanks! Nice to know it's not an original notion with me.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #3689
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

G55: Is that literally head over heels? If so, he takes a spill....?
Old 06-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #3690
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
G55: Is that literally head over heels? If so, he takes a spill....?
Yes, "head over heels" in all of its meanings. (I didn't really mention it specifically, but I think he would fall more than once in his haste)

Last edited by Galadriel55; 06-18-2012 at 06:46 PM. Reason: whoops! Fixed Freudian slip: hills instead of heels...
Old 06-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #3691
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Hee hee! That'll garner some attention.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #3692
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Okay, having been home a week now, I finally feel like getting back into the writing business. I'll write a post tonight after catching up on all the reading.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #3693
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I've been meaning to ask if any of the writers for other women who would be in the kitchen are around and feel like writing. I thought it would be nice if someone actually pressed Ledwyn into telling her story.
Yes. Coming right up.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #3694
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Heh, the truth to that is that I forgot that there is a "Middle Emnet" when I was writing the bio, since I used a Third Age map for reference... Gonna drum something up.

Would Saeryn be curious enough to ask what happened to Theolain?

LMP, I'll post for Theolain too soon. I think it won't be today, but hopefully tomorrow.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #3695
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Yes, she will, once she notices he is missing. I wanted to give us a chance to chat before the mother was off worrying about her son.

I edited my post, because Elempi kindly pointed out that my character was sitting at the table with Athanar and Eodwine. The end is in essence the same, so you can carry on as before.

-- Folwren
Old 06-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #3696
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Well, couldn't refuse an excuse to stay up later, so I wrote and posted for both my characters.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #3697
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Robin? Hmmmm..... where I come from (Michigan) you don't see robins until March, but Rohan is kinda more like France or Missouri for latitude, I suppose. Yeah, I can go with that.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #3698
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Robin? Hmmmm..... where I come from (Michigan) you don't see robins until March, but Rohan is kinda more like France or Missouri for latitude, I suppose. Yeah, I can go with that.
I'm no expert. What kind of bird would be around in cold just-before-it-snows weather? I could change it to a finch or a sparrow or whatever you think best.

Edit: yeah, I checked and it seems I've mixed up all me birds. I think I was thinking of a finch or some such. So I'll change that.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 06-21-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #3699
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Gold finches or sparrows would work. So would chickadees. Of course, this is Europe 6,000 years ago, so who knows?
Old 06-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #3700
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

All done.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #3701
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

G55, would you please change your post a wee bit? I was planning on precisely the kind of thing as you describe ..... up until he sets him down. There was something I wanted to have happen before he sets him down. If you could just cut away that ending, I'd appreciate it.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #3702
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Sure thing, Elempi. I'm curious about what that something is...

Last edited by Galadriel55; 06-22-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #3703
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Thanks! Hope you like it.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:05 AM   #3704
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Great post, Nogrod.

Elempi, your post cracked me up, too, with the brothers. Haha. And, yeah, catching the little tyke will be slightly harder this time, I am thinking....

I hope to post tomorrow, but no promises. It's looking like another busy day.

By the way, in my post when Saeryn is sitting with the lords and ladies at the table, there is a line there I meant to have her THINK something and not say it aloud, but it may have been taken that she actually said it out loud. She didn't...and I edited it to reflect that. Just...wanted to shoot that out there. (I just now re-read my post, which is why I brought this up.)...(I need to go to bed and stop babbling.)

-- Folwren

Last edited by Folwren; 06-24-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #3705
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Aww, poor Harreld!

I'm afraid Foley's right, though; Theolain will be harder to catch, but then I have something in mind for him...

Nog, Athanar's stance on Saeryn reminds me very much of someone I know... well, some two people that I know - one for Athanar and one for Saeryn...
Old 06-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #3706
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

By the way, I'm really excited about when Athanar tries to tell Saeryn not to do the housework anymore. Hahahaha!
Old 06-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #3707
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
By the way, I'm really excited about when Athanar tries to tell Saeryn not to do the housework anymore. Hahahaha!
Well, he will... and he will also try to persuade Eodwine to come to his side on the issue.

If nothing else works, then he will be making a point about her pregnancy fitting ill with working.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #3708
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Love it. We need to get a move on. I'm looking forward to Thornden coming into play soon.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #3709
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post

Elempi, tell me if you planned for Harreld to approach differently. (For future posts, basically Theolain will keep at that exact distance for a while - even if he follows Harreld around, I think, unless you have something else in mind).
Old 06-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #3710
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I want to say two things. Firstly, I have reached the end of my quest of reading the SMH game thread from its very beginning until the most recent post. Secondly, YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!
Old 06-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #3711
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Wow. That's quite a feat. Yeah, we really wrote a lot, and there were several (many) interesting things that occured. I commend you on reading all of it.

-- Folwren
Old 06-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #3712
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Why thank you, Foley! It really was time well spent, at least if you ask me (and don't ask my mother), and much enjoyed! You lot are amazing writers.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #3713
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Sorry, email notifications seem to be spotty again and I haven't checked for a couple days. I'll write when I get a chance.

By the way, thanks G55 for your compliment. It's been a fun thread to write for.

And the "dance" between Harreld and Theolain is quite fine.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #3714
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Urgh - I'll be out of town for a few days, so I won't be able to post. I thought I'd have some time today to write, but it turns out I don't. Sorry.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #3715
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Okay.

I'm building up a sit around at the lord's table before the next meal hoping as many contributors to this thread would be able to participate as possible.

It may take place (RL) this week, next week, two weeks from now, a month from now... however busy the other storylines are. There's no hurry.

I can send PM's to Legate, Durelin and Mnemosyne to call them to read what is going on. Legate probably reads it quite soon, about Durelin or Mnemosyne I wouldn't be that optimist.

Then who'd wish to take Scyrr? I think it would be good for someone who is a long time writer of the Mead Hall, like lmp or Folwren (or anyone who has written things about Scyrr) to take him and to feel him. Basically he has been a loyal soldier of Athanar - and a good and trusted one - and then one of these people affiliating himself to the "original Mead Hall" had tried to kill him - and ran away. Scyrr understandably was not happy with it, not to mention he is a bit rash and proud in the first place.

But would it be time to partly overcome "the parties" here in general? So someone of the "old Mead Hall" -writers could be writing for the newcomer-characters as well (not those who have "just arrived", but those who belong to Athanar's retinue) and the newer writers could take an older characters long away or not mentioned?

The latter case of course is a more subtle one as there are some issues with characters written years ago by someone, like Degas whose place it would be in the table as there is this discussion about Scyrr, but if Fëa is not attending, then why write him there anyway as that is a major character?

But we could invent some of these older character, or rather pick on those who are just named like years ago but not actually played by anyone. We do have a host of characters inactive right now if we just look at all the characters that are named or written about.

What do you think?
Old 06-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #3716
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Great, Nogrod. Glad to see this moving forward.

There's a lot to think about, though, and right now I'm falling asleep, so can't really focus. I will be able to think better tomorrow, but I won't be on until later in the afternoon. So you'll probably hear from me then.

--Folwren
Old 07-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #3717
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Athanar requested a member of the household who could represent the older set of Scarburgians, so he doesn't have to be even a soldier. What if Stigend or Garstan came? They have been around since before they came to Scarburg and have had families there and everything. Stigend is your character, Nogrod, and Garstan has been bequeathed to all of us, and I feel Nogrod, Elempi, or I would be quite comfortable writing for him.

As for who to play Scyrr - Legate and I have both handled him most recently. Eorl of Rohan took Scyrr's character up for a while and I wish she were around - I was really excited about her getting into the game, but I don't think she is around. During the trial, I almost think it would be most fun if Legate took him, as I will be playing Saeryn who is rather upset with the situation, so having someone to play off of would be good. But I'd like to know your thoughts on that, Legate, because if you don't want to play him, I can do it.

So, the whole group will be Athanar, Wynflaed, Eodwine, Saeryn, Thornden, Coen, Hilderinc, one other (Stigend or Garstan are my suggestions), and Scyrr. Does Athanar want all these folks just to get a clear understanding of what occurred?

-- Folwren
Old 07-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #3718
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I'm game for whatever.

Once this storyline is wrapped up, I'd like to see us have a new storyline that is plot based instead of character based. Some event with implications for Scarburg.

Thoughts?
Old 07-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #3719
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Haha. In my last post I had written lord Athanar in two places where there should have read lord Eodwine... I've corrected that in the thread now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley
So, the whole group will be Athanar, Wynflaed, Eodwine, Saeryn, Thornden, Coen, Hilderinc, one other (Stigend or Garstan are my suggestions), and Scyrr.
With Laerdil the elf (and Degas should be there but I think it more complicated to get him there than just to ignore him and bring him in the hall when Fea actually shows interest). Also, Stigend or Garstan would be fine - I can write Stigend there if there is a shortage of writers there.
Quote:
Does Athanar want all these folks just to get a clear understanding of what occurred?
More or less that, but there are other considerations he has in mind as well. The last time he had a need to give a verdict he decided to go public with it so as to bring about trust to his justice, but as we all remember, it went pretty bad... So he has learned his lesson thus far and will not make it a public hearing this time in case some old wounds might be opened, but he wishes to know the truth - or to come as near to it as possible - and to hear especially Eodwine's opinion on the matter of sanctions (and there are many reasons for the last point).

Quote:
Once this storyline is wrapped up, I'd like to see us have a new storyline that is plot based instead of character based. Some event with implications for Scarburg.
Agreed. It's been a long time we've had plot-driven things going on. The issue with the local landlords was probably the last one. And I do not think that has been emptied either. But if you lmp have something particular in mind, I'm all game for it.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #3720
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
I was thinking about the possibilities for such an event. I have had two ideas I thought worth throwing out there, but then they're just that - ideas.

1) Skip to Saeryn's labour (incidentally, how long does she still have?). Nicking off from A. Ripley's Scarlett, it could happen at a kind of time when no one is around, and the local doctors can't help, and you have to send for someone else, or do it yourself, or all the messy complications. But if the day is months off still, it might be too early to go to that.

2) King Eomer sends a message to Athanar saying that there are outlaws/bandits/criminals/you-name-it hiding somewhere near Scarburg, and he charges Athanar to do something about that. Alternatively, Athanar could get word about the outlaws from a more local source and take the initiative himself... These options could give plenty of adventure, mystery, and, well, plot.

There is still the day to finish before anything happens, though, so there's still time to think and come up with stuff.