The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-24-2004, 08:07 AM   #1
Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Bombadil
Boots Drawing Symbolism from the movies

One scene that always catches my attention when seeing ROTK is that of the battle of Gollum and Frodo at Sammath Naur. Now, we all know that in the books this struggle never occurred. (The struggle of course being after Gollum bit off Frodo's finger)

It's just how epic it feels at that moment. The mix of the music, the slow walk of Frodo towards Gollum...and how when they grab each other they look almost the same height. This made me think...Could that battle have represented "Frodo now," fighting with "the future Frodo?" Gollum is a representation of what frodo could become if keeping the ring. Therefore, if "Frodo now" wins and hurls "future Frodo" into the fire, along with the destruction of the ring goes his potential to turn out like Gollum. NOw if "Frodo now" fell in with the ring, could it represent the ultimate destruction the ring has caused him?

These are a little far-fetched, but I thought I'd get them out there. Any other thoughts? Or findings of your own?
Old 04-24-2004, 08:30 PM   #2
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
White Tree

I think that's certainly an excellent way of looking at it. I doubt that Peter Jackson put that in, but we've already seen how dangerous it is to critique Peter Jackson for what themes he did or did not put in.

They spoke in the EE specials of how they had originally thought to put a scene in where Faramir had a slight vision of what Frodo could become, when he came to confront him in the back of their caves...a Gollum-esque Frodo. As well, Frodo saw the Shire in ruins in the Mirror of Galadriel scene. So I suppose they were somewhat conscious of the future that Frodo was striving to destroy -- both for himself, and for Middle-Earth.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 08:34 PM   #3
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
They spoke in the EE specials of how they had originally thought to put a scene in where Faramir had a slight vision of what Frodo could become, when he came to confront him in the back of their caves...a Gollum-esque Frodo.
They probably made the right choice in cutting that scene, but I still would've liked to have the option to view that particular part of the movie in the EE with the Gollumish-Frodo scene in there.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 05:46 PM   #4
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

I agree. It would have been interesting, but might also have been dangerous to Mr. Jackson... There are just too many fans that are (yes, concievably) crazier than I.

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 08:39 PM   #5
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
White Tree

Yes, I'm somewhat glad they didn't implement that scene either. It wouldn't make much sense for Faramir to have that kind of vision.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote