The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-12-2002, 03:30 PM   #1
Ravenna
Haunting Spirit

Ravenna has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Aragorn's Life

I was thinking about Aragorn and his life span, and came up with this question.
Why did he live so much longer than the other Numenorean descendants?

I don't necessarily mean those of Gondor, as I know that their life span has waned, but it seems implied in the book that Aragorn will live much longer than even the others of the Dunedain like Halbarad, who are a less diminished breed than the Numenoreans, and that Aragorn knows this even before he becomes king.
Any thoughts?
Ravenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 03:34 PM   #2
Durialion
Animated Skeleton

Durialion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Durialion Send a message via AIM to Durialion
Sting

Well I would guess since he is the heir of Isildor he would probally live longer than normal. He is also the rightful king of Gondor. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Durialion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 04:17 PM   #3
Galorme
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galorme has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I like to think as it as a gift from the powers, and perhaps the presence of an Elf-maiden and the healing stone of the west helped. I am sure that some of the glow of Valmar that originally gave the Numinoreans tbeir long life would travel with the Elisar. (Additional question, was it the closeness to Aman that bestowed the long life onto the men of Westenesse, or was it the elven blood in them). Hmm come to think of it the elven blood wasn't in all of them, only in the kings. Answers?
Old 08-13-2002, 07:22 AM   #4
O'Boile
Wight

O'Boile has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The kings generally lived longer then 'normal' numenoreans. Aragorn was also long lived for a king (or chieftain since his immediate anncestors were did not claim the title) at that time, the earlier kings lived longer, but the length of their lives waned through out history. Aragorn was somewhat of the exception to this. He may have been able to tell buy comparing how much he appeared to have aged relative to normal people his age (which was I think about 80 during the war of the ring, anyway he was a year younger then Denethor).
O'Boile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 11:12 AM   #5
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Silmaril

Remember, he has that little bit of Elvish/Maia blood in him. Aside from that, all the reasons above, and his bloodline hasn't been mixed with those of lesser Men.
Old 08-13-2002, 11:28 AM   #6
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think everyone has a really good answer to this. I always thought of it as a gift to him from the Valar. He restored the line of kings. And he was a great king. And also, he let go of his life when he saw that his time was come. When the Numenoreans turned 'bad' they didn't do that, they would try to live as long as they wanted to, they wouldn't let go. So they didn't have as long as lives after that. I think that was reffered to in Unfinished Tales.
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 10:29 AM   #7
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

the people of Numenor had unusualy long life because the first one...(Elros) was half-elven, and though he chose mortality, the Valar gifted him still with a 500 year life span. I guess when he wed and had children, this trait passed on until there was nothing special about them. But i think maybe Aragorn lived so long because....well. actually, thats a good question.....now youve all confused me in my own thoughts [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2002, 11:04 AM   #8
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

How long Elros lived didn't have anything to do with the Valar. Aragorn lived as long as he did because he was Good. A lot of the kings before him were Not Good, and Good gets to live longer than Not Good. How long Aragorn lived also didn't have anything to do with the Valar.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:29 PM   #9
O'Boile
Wight

O'Boile has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Valar did extend the lives of the Numenoreans.
O'Boile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 11:17 AM   #10
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Valar did extend their life and the royal houses and rulers lived longer than the 'common folk'.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote