The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-27-2010, 12:23 AM   #1
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Did Maedhros kill Laughter?

But wise were still concerned that Maedhros revealed his growing strength too early "Always some new evil might be born in Angband."

....for Evil breath came to Dor-Lomin...and when Turin rose, he asked for Lalaith...and when Morwen came, he said "I'm not sick anymore and I want to see Urwen;but why can't I call her Lalaith anymore?"
"Because Lalaith's dead and no more laughter is here." answered Morwen.

Really,did Maedhros kill Laughter?

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
No, Morgoth did.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Indeed. I don't think that questions like that have much sense - it's like asking "Did Elrond kill Gandalf?" or something like that.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

So the base question is, if everyone had just given up and stopped opposing Morgoth, would he have let them live?

Given what Tolkien says about his nature in Morgoth's Ring- no. Morgoth wished to destroy all life. Ask the question about Sauron on the other hand- perhaps.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
PrinceOfTheHalflings
Wight

PrinceOfTheHalflings is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
So the base question is, if everyone had just given up and stopped opposing Morgoth, would he have let them live?

Given what Tolkien says about his nature in Morgoth's Ring- no. Morgoth wished to destroy all life. Ask the question about Sauron on the other hand- perhaps.
Oh yes, Sauron would have been happy to have everyone as his slaves. Especially The Wise.
PrinceOfTheHalflings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:35 AM   #6
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

No, Morgoth did.

Yes,but he would have no reason to send plague if Maedhros never formed his Union. Therefore, Maedhros is to be blamed for death of Lalaith.

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Or, in more words: the only way Maedhros could construably be blamed for Lalaith's death would be if by better timing his attacks he could have defeated Morgoth in time to prevent the ill wind and the plague being sent. But as Mandos made clear when the Noldor left Valinor, they never had a hope of overcoming Morgoth without the help of the Valar, no matter how great their prowess and courage and how cunning their strategies might be. So if anybody else than Morgoth is to blame, it would be the Valar for setting him free in the first place, and for taking so long to come to the help of the Eldar and Edain after his return to Middle-earth.

EDIT: x-ed with the phantom.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:31 AM   #8
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Palantir-Green

This is one of those incredibly pointless threads, where everyone knows (or thinks they know) the answer, because this topic has no definite beginning or end, and that is perhaps the very reason why people want to to ON debating about it, even though they know it will never reach an answer.

Er...did that make any sense? O.O
Old 07-21-2010, 07:18 AM   #9
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel View Post
This is one of those incredibly pointless threads, where everyone knows (or thinks they know) the answer, because this topic has no definite beginning or end, and that is perhaps the very reason why people want to to ON debating about it, even though they know it will never reach an answer.
People are debating the answer to this thread!?

Really? I think I must be missing something...
Old 07-21-2010, 09:01 AM   #10
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Did Maedhros kill Laughter? No she was hit by a Volts-Waggon Beatle!
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #11
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
People are debating the answer to this thread!?

Really? I think I must be missing something...
No, everyone else is missing something, as you are quite right- the answer no longer requires any debate. I settled things once and for all here, where I proved that Maedhros did indeed kill Lalaith. Everything after that is completely pointless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGuard
No she was hit by a Volts-Waggon Beatle!
Okay, now you're just being ridiculous! In HoME XIV Tolkien states quite clearly that Morgoth did not unleash his VW Beatles until the War of Wrath against the Valar.

And can I just add that I never imagined in my wildest dreams that a toddler could receive this amount of fangirl love.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #12
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Orcs driving VW Beatles! Uh-oh....

I like your analagy except for the eating hand part. Maybe she dug it up, then went gross and dropped it, and, of course, never washed her hands. It would be so much simpler then saying she ate it!
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #13
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel View Post

Er...did that make any sense? O.O
I think the point of this thread now, in so far as it has one, is that we're waiting for Urwen to come up with a remotely plausible Lalaith-saves-the-world scenario.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:35 PM   #14
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
I think the point of this thread now, in so far as it has one, is that we're waiting for Urwen to come up with a remotely plausible Lalaith-saves-the-world scenario.
Without any spine-ripping or mutant goose action, basically.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:35 PM   #15
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
What is this thread of slander against my dear Russandol, and how did I miss it? He wouldn't hurt a fly, I assure you. A mosquito, maybe... a spider, if I wasn't there to catch it for him, but really. As irritating as the young girls in our household get, he wouldn't harm a hair on their heads, and they have to be far more annoying than Urwen ever was.

Now, as for killing "laughter", he has certainly been known to make an awkward remark now and then that had the effect of, if not actually killing, knocking laughter unconscious for a good while. But that's not the same thing.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:52 PM   #16
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
What is this thread of slander against my dear Russandol, and how did I miss it? He wouldn't hurt a fly, I assure you. A mosquito, maybe... a spider, if I wasn't there to catch it for him, but really. As irritating as the young girls in our household get, he wouldn't harm a hair on their heads, and they have to be far more annoying than Urwen ever was.

Now, as for killing "laughter", he has certainly been known to make an awkward remark now and then that had the effect of, if not actually killing, knocking laughter unconscious for a good while. But that's not the same thing.
*cough* wrong SoF, Rikae *cough*
Old 08-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #17
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Without any spine-ripping or mutant goose action, basically.
Yes. That is what 'remotely plausible' means.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #18
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Can't you read the sign?

"Please don't feed the trolls."

Is anyone else just waiting to see what Urwen comes up with next? Personally, I'm hoping for metamorphing Oompa Loompas this time.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote