The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2009, 10:16 PM   #41
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
I was not convinced by the "nothing more complicated than that" statement and asked for further explanation by taking a quote from a lovely book, written by an author I'm sure we all love to read and changed a few words to fit what I was asking for.
What other motive could she possibly have?

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:03 PM   #42
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
To the person who can identify the Chapter this references, you are up for being my Captain's vote. I'll give a hint: I think you'll find this book very...fitting. (Granted I tweaked the quote to fit the situation, and it probably makes no sense, but whatever)

To the person who can identify the noble, wisened figure I'm quoting, you will be considered a NG vote.

To the person who can identify who the noble, wisened figure is talking to, you will be also consided a NG vote.

Now have at it! (One answer per person please).
The Chapter is of course, Minas Tirith. Yay, now you have to vote me.

Actually, people, we need to take the Captain business more seriously. Unless I've totally misunderstand the rules, if we vote in a wolf, we're in trouble... and there doesn't seem to be any disadvantage to the wolves. So I'm kind of wondering about these people yelling, "Vote MEEEE!" toDay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa_Aoife View Post
Also, we must vote for a captain, but unless I'm very much confused, we don't need to vote for NG's. I don't have a problem having NG's- it's always good for the village to limit the wolves. Does anyone else?
No, I don't believe we need to (I think I've got that bit straight), but I don't see why we shouldn't... unless gifteds lose their power if they're Night Guards. I'll check.

Last edited by Nerwen; 09-21-2009 at 11:07 PM. Reason: fixed quotes.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:23 PM   #43
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Also, I want to know what Boro and Fea are up to (even apart from general principles).

I don't understand why Fea (in any role) would want to shed her retractables. I mean, you can say, "yeah, it makes her look innocent, therefore she must be evil," but is it worth it even then?

And Boro...

Quote:
I was trying to figure out how I was going to decide on a Captain/NG. I could have approached it a normal way, that is wait to see if there's anyone who jumped out that I trusted, and my other way would be to see how many hoops someone would jump through to appease the monkey (ie me).
So why not pick a more obscure quote, then?
Old 09-21-2009, 11:29 PM   #44
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
So I'm kind of wondering about these people yelling, "Vote MEEEE!" toDay.
Let's not misrepresent. Only a couple of people have actually said they want to be Captain and the rest have only expressed their lack of objection to holding the position.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:34 PM   #45
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I should let you all know in advance that I'm pretty busy, so while I'll be here, I won't be here a lot.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:12 AM   #46
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Hmm...I'm afraid to say I really don't have any time to devote towards toDay. It's already late and I still have homework to do. Then I have to leave by late morning for classes and I don't get back until way after deadline. Sorry about that.

Anyway, I admit I'm still a bit confused about how this game works, but I figured I'd make sense of it as I go along and play it by ear. After all, it's worked before.

It's always so hard to get a read out of anyone in the first half of Day One, so it sucks I have to vote so early. I've done random votes before, but I'm not sure I really care to do so this time around. For one thing, I'd hate to be partially responsible for electing a wolf into Captain position. Who knows, maybe I'll get a better feel for some players come morning, but if not, I just might not vote at all toDay. Which I think will be a first for me.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:49 AM   #47
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Well as for the Wolf-for-Captain business, Nerwen is right about that it's probably the most dangerous thing that could happen. However, I think the Wolves would try to approach such a position somewhat subtly. Though not necessarily, of course.

And I don't get the Fea and Boro business at all and I also have no idea why somebody should be picking in it. Because I thought that it's just something completely normal, like, what's happening? Nothing is happening, so what's the problem? (With both of them and for the others.)

I am sorry for such two-liners, but now I am in slightly bigger time pressure than I thought, I guess the time when I will really properly be around will be in the evening, i.e. some six hours from now. But I will be around yet for a really short while now.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:12 AM   #48
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Let's not misrepresent. Only a couple of people have actually said they want to be Captain and the rest have only expressed their lack of objection to holding the position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Well as for the Wolf-for-Captain business, Nerwen is right about that it's probably the most dangerous thing that could happen. However, I think the Wolves would try to approach such a position somewhat subtly.
All right, I'll concede the point.

Quote:
And I don't get the Fea and Boro business at all and I also have no idea why somebody should be picking in it. Because I thought that it's just something completely normal, like, what's happening? Nothing is happening, so what's the problem?
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, Legate.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:26 AM   #49
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, Legate.
I meant that I thought Fea explained why she did her retraction vote already in the first place, then she added another explanation for the sake of it, still Boro questioned her which I didn't quite get what for. But okay, whatever, I don't get it, but it doesn't seem as anything that could point towards wolfishness or something, so I think it's better to leave it be. But then again others have been wondering about them, but I just thought that the matter should be put at rest - which is exactly what it is not if I am talking about it here. In short: I think it would be all too easy for Wolves to pick on "huh! Fea wasted her vote! Isn't that suspicious?" (While in itself, I don't think there's anything suspicious about it.) Or again, they could also pick on Boro because of that. So that's it.

Okay, but now I have to go. See you in a few hours.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 09-22-2009, 06:22 AM   #50
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Anyway... I'm an old lady, and it's time for me to snuggle under my blankets with Isak Dinesen.
You know she had syphilis, right?
One of my friends work at the Karen Blixen museum at Rungstedlund, a very nice place dedicated to a very interesting person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Also also, I'm really excited that Kath's playing. If only she'd post....
Well, it is the trademark of Kath to forget about the game the first day, so we probably won't see her the first while.

Quote:
Also, I want to know what Boro and Fea are up to (even apart from general principles).

I don't understand why Fea (in any role) would want to shed her retractables. I mean, you can say, "yeah, it makes her look innocent, therefore she must be evil," but is it worth it even then?
I kind of understand why she did so, atleast I can relate. I really dislike retractable votes, I think they remove some of the fun from the game, but I guess I am a bit more pragmatic thatn Fea and couldn't make my self waste the retractable votes. . .
Don't you like the fact that when a person has cast a vote then you know what you are dealing with and it also forces you to think your votes over.

Anyways I will be arround for some hours.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:32 AM   #51
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Of my apparently bizarre retraction/interaction

The ones who benefit most from vote retractions are wolves, because so few people retract before the last five minutes of a Day. In that time span, people tend to second guess their votes, realize somebody they like is going to die, retract, re-vote, OH MY GODZ ONE MINUTE TILL DEADLINEZ, wolves slip in and vote for whoever they feel like, and next Day they can just say, "I cross-posted with everybody."

Or there's always the lovely, "I thought I'd be back before deadline to change my vote. Oops!" Which pretty much lets anybody off the hook for voting for people who appear completely innocent.

My giving up my retractions has nothing to do with my role and everything to do with me being a control freak and liking to have all my ducks lined up in a row.

My votes should mean something, and I don't want to listen to people saying, "Well yeah, she voted for this person, but she might still change her vote. That's suspicious!"

My votes are either going to be suspicious or not, based on my one shot at getting it right each day.

/explanation
Old 09-22-2009, 07:50 AM   #52
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
What other motive could she possibly have?
Is asking for further explanation from a throwaway one sentence comment a crime?

Quote:
The Chapter is of course, Minas Tirith. Yay, now you have to vote me.
I said you would be considered, much different than now you get my vote. Seriously, though since Minas Tirith is correct, you are a candidate (in my head), so far, along with Rune.

This means the other 2 possibilities for NGs are still up for grabs.

Quote:
So why not pick a more obscure quote, then?
I thought I was being pretty obscure? Anyway, I needed a quote that I felt fit the situation. The person the noble (old probably would have been a better descriptor ) wisened figure was talking to made the throw away comment "unless the king should come again" after boasting he wasn't going to give up his power to any man. The old, wisend, figure was not convinced by the last comments, hence why he ends up questioning "Unless the King should come again?"

In this situation, I was not convinced that Fea's statement, regarding why voting and retracting for me was "nothing more complicated" than being alphetically first. So, I needed a quote which would show my lack of being convinced, and ask for further explanation. Maybe it wasn't obscure, but I found it fitting regarding the situation, and pretty clever.

Quote:
I meant that I thought Fea explained why she did her retraction vote already in the first place, then she added another explanation for the sake of it, still Boro questioned her which I didn't quite get what for.
Actually, you misrepresent what happened Legate. Fea gave her post with the retraction and one-liner explanation. I asked for more, she gave it, and since then I have not asked for any more. That means you can assume that either 1. I have been convinced by Fea's reasoning or 2. I have gotten all that I need from it and find no more use in pursuing it.

My other posts have not been still asking Fea for more, but responses to Roa and Nerwen who have asked what the hell is going on?
Old 09-22-2009, 07:59 AM   #53
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
I thought I was being pretty obscure? Anyway, I needed a quote that I felt fit the situation. The person the noble (old probably would have been a better descriptor ) wisened figure was talking to made the throw away comment "unless the king should come again" after boasting he wasn't going to give up his power to any man. The old, wisend, figure was not convinced by the last comments, hence why he ends up questioning "Unless the King should come again?"
The speaker was none other than Gandalf the Grey. Considering the company you're in, there may not have been a quote obscure enough.

I don't really 'get' the controversy surrounding you and Fea. I'm not a fan of throwing away retractable votes that could serve a legitimate purpose, but that's just me.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:04 AM   #54
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
I can vouch for Fea hating retractable votes. It's not suspicious, she would do the same thing in any role that she had. This is why Fea can be sneaky. She doesn't necessarily have a particular playing style for a wolf that is noticeably different than when she is not a wolf. We just have to pay close attention to her in case of any slip-ups.

I also don't find the Boro thing weird but can understand people looking to find suspicion without a lot of information.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:09 AM   #55
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Responding as I read, so this may be jumbled:
Quote:
Originally Posted by legate
Well as for the Wolf-for-Captain business, Nerwen is right about that it's probably the most dangerous thing that could happen. However, I think the Wolves would try to approach such a position somewhat subtly. Though not necessarily, of course.
A wolf could always try bluffing. And seeing as there are four wolves, they can try out more than one strategy to get one of themselves picked. I, for one, don’t believe that people who want power should have it. But a wolf could always be subtle: “Sure, you could vote for me, if you want… not that I care, or anything…”
Quote:
Originally Posted by legate
And I don't get the Fea and Boro business at all and I also have no idea why somebody should be picking in it. Because I thought that it's just something completely normal, like, what's happening? Nothing is happening, so what's the problem? (With both of them and for the others.)
That was actually my point. Boro was saying that what Fea did was suspicious, and I can’t see a reason for him to think so, so I’d like him to explain why he thought so. If he cannot, then it looks a lot like someone trying to create suspicion where none would otherwise be. With no seer, there is only one reason why someone would do that.
Why shouldn’t we be looking at it? The behavior on Boro’s part is suspicious, ergo I question him. Why does that seem odd to you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by boromir88
Is asking for further explanation from a throwaway one sentence comment a crime?
Quote:
In this situation, I was not convinced that Fea's statement, regarding why voting and retracting for me was "nothing more complicated" than being alphabetically first. So, I needed a quote which would show my lack of being convinced, and ask for further explanation. Maybe it wasn't obscure, but I found it fitting regarding the situation, and pretty clever.
You didn’t answer my question. You said weren’t convinced that Fea used you to throw away her retractables because your name was first alphabetically. I want to know why you should need convincing of it. And no, it’s not a crime, but the comment was not a throwaway, and there was nothing suspicious about it. Your implication of suspicion here is what I find suspicious, and you have yet to give a satisfactory answer as to your reaction.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:11 AM   #56
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Also, 18 villagers, a two-thirds of the way though the Day, and we're only on page two? Where is everybody?

Old 09-22-2009, 08:15 AM   #57
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Where is everybody?
In my case, totally brainless without food.

After I shower and eat I should have a little more to say.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:31 AM   #58
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

There were a lot of people who mentioned they would have RL commitments so they probably wouldn't be around much.

But I'm here... for a bit anyway. Is there something you/anyone would like to discuss?
Old 09-22-2009, 08:32 AM   #59
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Also, 18 villagers, a two-thirds of the way though the Day, and we're only on page two? Where is everybody?
In my case my Max ran off under my parents watch and I must immediately drop my life and go drive 40 minutes to my house to wait for the poor guy to return.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:34 AM   #60
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nienna View Post
There were a lot of people who mentioned they would have RL commitments so they probably wouldn't be around much.

But I'm here... for a bit anyway. Is there something you/anyone would like to discuss?
Umm... the game? The players who have posted thus far? What you think of peoples assertions? Who you're considering to be captain? Who you think might be a wolf (and why)? Who don't think is a wolf (and why)? We may not have much but we do have two pages. What do you think of them?

Old 09-22-2009, 09:41 AM   #61
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

List of people in order of post count:

Roa: asking a lot of questions and prompting a lot of discussion. She subtly says that she could be captain and then says that wolves my do the same thing.

Boro: either being silly or spending the whole time defending the two not silly things he said (questioning Fea’s use of him as a retraction and his quote method of picking people to vote for)

Sally: doesn’t want to be captain and won’t be around much

Zil: could be captain, suspicious of Hakon

Rune: wants to be captain

Fea: doesn’t like retractable votes

Nienna:

Nerwen: thinks we need to be careful not to vote in a wolf for captain

Legate: questions the Fea/Boro thing

Hakon: wants to be captain

Gwath: won’t be around much

Lottie: doesn’t want to be captain

Valier: wouldn’t mind holding a position

Brinn: won’t be around much

------

I have a few vague suspicions but nothing really concrete.

Whats hard about the captain thing is that wolves want it but don't want to seem eager while the gifteds don't want it but don't want to seem like they don't want it. This could make their behavior very similar... we just have to be careful.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:42 AM   #62
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Don't make me start flooding with analysis... I'll do it!

*sigh* Something tells me that the wolves are going be deep down undercover this game.

At this point, Rikae, Kath, Greenie, and Lommy have yet to even post. Greenie's a quiet one, fine, but what happened to the others?

I will probably vote someone who isn't here yet for captain. That way, if they are evil, at least they won't have a chance to do serious damage.

And at the moment my top suspect is Boromir. Yes, my points against him are circumstantial, but no one's posting.

EDIT: crossed with Nienna. YAY!

Old 09-22-2009, 09:54 AM   #63
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Actually, I may vote one of them NG, since they are a likely pick for a wolf kill. (No trail to follow.)

Old 09-22-2009, 09:57 AM   #64
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Actually, you misrepresent what happened Legate. Fea gave her post with the retraction and one-liner explanation. I asked for more, she gave it, and since then I have not asked for any more. That means you can assume that either 1. I have been convinced by Fea's reasoning or 2. I have gotten all that I need from it and find no more use in pursuing it.

My other posts have not been still asking Fea for more, but responses to Roa and Nerwen who have asked what the hell is going on?
Okay, fine with me then, though in fact, I could still join in asking the question which Roa asked you:
Quote:
You didn’t answer my question. You said weren’t convinced that Fea used you to throw away her retractables because your name was first alphabetically. I want to know why you should need convincing of it. And no, it’s not a crime, but the comment was not a throwaway, and there was nothing suspicious about it. Your implication of suspicion here is what I find suspicious, and you have yet to give a satisfactory answer as to your reaction.
---

Quote:
Why shouldn’t we be looking at it? The behavior on Boro’s part is suspicious, ergo I question him. Why does that seem odd to you?
It does not necessarily seem odd to me, but I think it's too much of an easy place to pick on somebody. Boro's behavior seemed, let's say, weird to me, but not necessarily suspicous - I could as well imagine him acting that way. (Despite the fact that I would like to hear his explanation of that, mind you!) But I was, or am, slightly afraid of the easiness of creating a big issue from such a rather minor thing, which is actually what in some ways seems to be happening right now. So just in other words, I am warning innocents of jumping onto this discussion without clear head, because I think this is a model situation of how the Day 1 lynches always emerge. That's not to say that we couldn't lynch Boro, for that matter. But I just think that this case of one comment should not be let to overgrow into a huge bandwaggon suspicion, which so often happens from small seeds like this. And that's what makes the first Day easier for the Wolves, needless to say (unless in this case Boro was one of them).

Quote:
Umm... the game? The players who have posted thus far? What you think of peoples assertions? Who you're considering to be captain? Who you think might be a wolf (and why)? Who don't think is a wolf (and why)? We may not have much but we do have two pages. What do you think of them?
Well yes, that's what I would like to discuss too. However, I don't exactly want to say much yet before some more players appear - indeed, as it's been said, there had been quite a lot of people who still didn't show up, or who did not post much more than one short post or something. Also, then, from what I can say, I don't really feel like having read enough to vote for somebody as a Captain. I would really like to see others first. But okay, for the sake of it, one name - Nerwen, for instance. But that's really a long run yet, like I said. Very, very preliminary ideas.

If more people show up, you may get more from me.

EDIT: x-ed with Nienna and on
Old 09-22-2009, 10:04 AM   #65
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
NB. There will be a change of a player in the game.

Rikae will have to withdraw but Mac will take her place.

I'll narrate Mac in in a short time replacing this announcement with it. But if someone is leaving the thread for good for toDay you should probably know it now.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:04 AM   #66
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Haha, okay, I may as well post what I thought of, because I considered it a brilliant idea and it took me a few seconds to realise that it actually is not much of a help (if you say it just like that). After reading Nienna's post, I thought: "Hmm, Nienna is either an innocent... or a wolf."

Brilliant revelation, isn't it? Though you see, even though it seems like stating the obvious, the point is the dynamic behind the thinking. I have concluded that myself, I wasn't told that by the rules.

Well anyway, I may as well ask, Nienna, are you innocent?
Old 09-22-2009, 10:07 AM   #67
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
It does not necessarily seem odd to me, but I think it's too much of an easy place to pick on somebody. Boro's behavior seemed, let's say, weird to me, but not necessarily suspicous - I could as well imagine him acting that way. (Despite the fact that I would like to hear his explanation of that, mind you!)
Granted it's been a while, but I always remembered Boro as being one the more vocal ones, and right now he's said only one serious thing and it was just downright weird.

Quote:
But I was, or am, slightly afraid of the easiness of creating a big issue from such a rather minor thing, which is actually what in some ways seems to be happening right now.
A fair point. In my mind, that's exactly what it looks like Boromir was trying for with his comment on Fea, inviting others to look at it suspiciously as well, and then he backed off when no one took the bait. That's a move I've seen before.

Quote:
So just in other words, I am warning innocents of jumping onto this discussion without clear head, because I think this is a model situation of how the Day 1 lynches always emerge.That's not to say that we couldn't lynch Boro, for that matter. But I just think that this case of one comment should not be let to overgrow into a huge bandwaggon suspicion, which so often happens from small seeds like this. And that's what makes the first Day easier for the Wolves, needless to say (unless in this case Boro was one of them).
Another fair point. But no one else is coming forward with anything. I can't catch everything, and the quiet ones (minimal posters who say little and post less) are my blind spot. Which means I'm operating really blindly in this game. Discussion is the only the village has during the Day. We can't catch anything if we aren't looking.

Edit: Cross posted with Nogrod down

Old 09-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #68
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'm here and should be around till deadline today, but alas I am having pc problems so my posts will probably be sporatic.
Hmmmm my thoughts so far....well not much I must say. Roa's a wolf (well I always think Roas a wolf so....) I really don't think Boro is one...not sure why yet. I don't think Fea is, so far. I understand her reasoning behind her throwing away her retracts.

There are quite a few ways I can see the wolves playing the Captain thing...ie: Out right ask to be the Captain, or just subtly say they wouldn't mind or the most likely, be really really helpful and make alot of sense, tricking people into voting for you. Which if I was a wolf would probably be the way I would go, lol but just me saying that could be construed as suspisious, but hey it's true. When trying to catch wolves one must think like them.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #69
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Nienna, are you innocent?
Yes. Innocent of wolvery, that is. Innocent of other things??... well...
Old 09-22-2009, 10:13 AM   #70
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Roa, you tense?
Quote:
That was actually my point. Boro was saying that what Fea did was suspicious, and I can’t see a reason for him to think so, so I’d like him to explain why he thought so. If he cannot, then it looks a lot like someone trying to create suspicion where none would otherwise be. With no seer, there is only one reason why someone would do that.
I just think you're making too big of a deal about the whole thing. No offense to Fea, but she does a well enough job making herself look suspicious, because everything she says will be scrutinized. If not by me someone else (as others did comment on it).

Secondly, instead of throwaway (maybe that was a poor choice of wording) think of it this way. It's like if someone is the 4th consecutive vote for a Captain, and adds on "because I agree with Inzil, but this is not a bandwagon vote." Maybe the person doesn't want to bandwagon, but the point is, it's clearly a bandwagon and therfor the person saying it isn't one, is not convincing.

Basically, I never find what Fea does is random, whether she says it or not, or if it really is random or not. She chooses and uses people who will be an advantage to her, and sorry for prodding around a bit to figure out "why me?"

Quote:
Were you the one who was supposedly at random voted for? No. So, you are not looking at it from my perspective. I already have an inflated ego of myself, most of the time I just scroll through the thread and see who has mentioned my name, so when someone votes me twice, retracts me twice, I don't see it as being the product of someone's random choice. I get picked for a reason...sorry if this sounds arrogant to you, but would you deny it?

As an aside, Fea, you bold the person you want to lynch and you highlight your Captain/NG votes. I don't know if that means you technically still have your retractions or not?

Clarification from Master Nogrod. Do we get 2 retractions to use for the entire game (whether Captain, lynch, or NG)? Or do we get 2 lynch-vote retractions for the entire game?

Edit: crossed with everyone since Roa's post that I quoted here.

Last edited by Boromir88; 09-22-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:13 AM   #71
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

lol Legate did you just expect Nienna to go "oh ya I'm a wolf Hooowwwwwllllll" of course she will say she's innocent. In this game everyones word is well, just a word.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:14 AM   #72
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valier View Post
or the most likely, be really really helpful and make alot of sense, tricking people into voting for you.
The problem with that line of reasoning is that an innocent villager would do the exact same thing. If we start lynching people for being helpful, then we lose all the people who are being helpful.

EDIT: more corss posting. I feel much better now.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:20 AM   #73
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Of course Roa I agree with you, butttt still the more wolves act like innocents and be helpful, the better their chances of being voted a Captain. Am I wrong? uggg it's been so long since I've played. this game messes with my head. There are so many ways to play as a wolf. My way of weeding them out is I look for people who play like I would as a wolf, or I look for people who do the opposite...lol so everyone is a suspect. (sorry it's early morning and I'm not quite awake)
Old 09-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #74
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
A fair point. In my mind, that's exactly what it looks like Boromir was trying for with his comment on Fea, inviting others to look at it suspiciously as well, and then he backed off when no one took the bait. That's a move I've seen before.
Sure, and the same is also impeding in picking on Boro picking on Fea. It's just one level further. But right so, whatever - just if there was a suspicion for example against Boro, it should not be based just on this, but also on something else. Once again, too easy to create a bandwaggon with this, as it often happens.

Quote:
Another fair point. But no one else is coming forward with anything. I can't catch everything, and the quiet ones (minimal posters who say little and post less) are my blind spot. Which means I'm operating really blindly in this game. Discussion is the only the village has during the Day. We can't catch anything if we aren't looking.
Surely not. You are making absolutely reasonable points, I completely forgot how you play. I acknowledge all you say, but the best would really be now if all people appeared and said something. Then we could move on. But as the Day passes, we may not have as much time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nienna View Post
Yes. Innocent of wolvery, that is. Innocent of other things??... well...
Okay, fair enough, that's all I need to know. Thanks for answering.

Okay... I guess I will wait a while around here, it seems people are popping up, like Valier, which is nice.

I think I might vote some person who was silent for the NG, but as not all have shown up yet, let's see. I'll probably stay until DL, or at least very short before the DL.

EDIT: x-ed with Boro and onwards
Old 09-22-2009, 10:24 AM   #75
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Roa, you tense?
I find the lack of helpful posts frustrating, yes. Surprisingly, this makes not want to vote you, since you are the second loudest person in the village, and I may lynch myself if it continues on this way.

Quote:
I just think you're making too big of a deal about the whole thing. No offense to Fea, but she does a well enough job making herself look suspicious, because everything she says will be scrutinized. If not by me someone else (as others did comment on it).
I have nothing else to go on, and I refuse to not say anything.

Quote:
Secondly, instead of throwaway (maybe that was a poor choice of wording) think of it this way. It's like if someone is the 4th consecutive vote for a Captain, and adds on "because I agree with Inzil, but this is not a bandwagon vote." Maybe the person doesn't want to bandwagon, but the point is, it's clearly a bandwagon and therfor the person saying it isn't one, is not convincing.
I fail to see the similarity.

Quote:
Basically, I never find what Fea does is random, whether she says it or not, or if it really is random or not. She chooses and uses people who will be an advantage to her, and sorry for prodding around a bit to figure out "why me?"
Fea can be quite random. But what could possibly have come of her post? Unless she's some dashedly complicated scheme, I can't see what could possibly come of it.

Quote:
Were you the one who was supposedly at random voted for? No. So, you are not looking at it from my perspective. I already have an inflated ego of myself, most of the time I just scroll through the thread and see who has mentioned my name, so when someone votes me twice, retracts me twice, I don't see it as being the product of someone's random choice. I get picked for a reason...sorry if this sounds arrogant to you, but would you deny it?
Yes, I would deny it. It's meaningless. I would have ignored her post had she picked my name, because nothing can possibly come of it.

Edit: crossed with 73 down

Old 09-22-2009, 10:25 AM   #76
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Hi, folks!

I'm stepping in for Rikae, who went missing under an avalanche of schoolwork.

I read most of the thread and see the usual suspects out-arguing each other, but barely any actual suspicions. No votes, not even for captain and nightguards. I can see a beautifully random lynch coming up.

I have a few people who I vaguely trust or distrust, but nothing of it is based on any actual reasons, so I won't bother bothering you with it yet.

I'll be back there with you for more later.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #77
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

hmmm I'm not sure I like the idea of voting a quiet person for NG, that would be giving them a free ride for the night. They could just choose to stay quiet for the day after seeing that.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:27 AM   #78
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Oi! To sally and Rune. I've actually made it to a Day 1 this time so there.

Actually I must admit it's only because Nog put the link on the admin thread which I get emails from ... but never mind! I am here. By the way a 10pm deadline is always a little bit of a rush for me as I tend to forget until the last minute so don't be surprised if you suddenly get a flurry of (and by that I mean my usual 3) posts all in one go at about half 9!

Off for a bit now. Will return later.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:28 AM   #79
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valier View Post
lol Legate did you just expect Nienna to go "oh ya I'm a wolf Hooowwwwwllllll" of course she will say she's innocent. In this game everyones word is well, just a word.
Oh no, really? I assumed that she would confess, how short-sighted of me!

Well, of course not. But I was just trying it for the sake of seeing how she replies. There may be people who reply in exactly that way and make it a joke, or something... the point is that if you are a Wolf and somebody asks you that, you have to lie, and well, sometimes it can cause some change in behavior or different way of posting or thinking. Some would try not to reply at all. The point is not the answer, but the form. It was just worth a try.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:31 AM   #80
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Ah I see where you were going with that Legate. I too like to post things to see peoples reactions. I find they tell alot about people.