The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-28-2008, 06:39 AM   #281
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa_Aoife View Post

Professions: Celuien, Morm, Kitanna, Kath, and Eonwe- do have jobs and if so, what are they?
I had planned to claim lonely goat herder, but opted not to since Legate and phantom are already sheep herders. So everyone village, town, city, place with two houses in it, needs a tavern wench. Gladly shall I fill that role.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:21 AM   #282
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Ooh you're right Roa, I don't have a role. Hmm, I can't think of anything. If anyone wants to give me one please do! Or you Roa if you need to get that chart finished.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:42 AM   #283
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Ooh you're right Roa, I don't have a role. Hmm, I can't think of anything. If anyone wants to give me one please do! Or you Roa if you need to get that chart finished.
Eomer: "Is Kath playing?"

Me: "Yeah."

Eomer: "Hm. I'd probably vote for her. I think she's a wolf."

---

Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:09 AM   #284
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta
*goes down on one knee*

Greenie, will you marry me?
Of course my horse... umm... I mean husband.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:02 AM   #285
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailín View Post
Eomer: "Is Kath playing?"

Me: "Yeah."

Eomer: "Hm. I'd probably vote for her. I think she's a wolf."

---

I feel honoured. Perhaps my role should be perenially suspicious person.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:24 PM   #286
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Nog, two technical things: first, given the age of me and my sisters, perhaps you should remove my label as "big" brother, because I am younger than both of them. Unless it's meant physically. Which... well, why not. At least you won't have to change anything.

But second, a question: I suppose even the people like Ranger will be informed, when they post their pick to the GW and it's changed, that it has been changed and who was protected, right? Like, I am a Ranger, want to protect Volo, my GW chooses that I will rather protect Greenie, so I will be informed that I protected Greenie (even if nothing happens during the night which should concern me)? It's only logical, but asking just to be certain (and because it means giving the Gifteds at least a confirmation of what they have done all night).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:57 PM   #287
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
A soap opera indeed... or a wicked sitcom...

Concerning Legate's question: yes I think it would be fair for the gifteds to know who they have actually targeted. I was a wolf myself in the first DW and being totally in the darkness was a bit annoying. Given that information the gifted might at least speculate herself what is going on. So unless anyone strongly objects this with good reasons I'd like the gifteds (and wolves) to know what the wizards final decision was.

About the modfire then. If someone doesn't post anything on two Days in a row she will be modfired eg. removed from the game. I don't know whether you consider this a light or strong version of it but to me it looks like not playing and thence getting removed.

Relations & occupations are upgraded once more.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:16 PM   #288
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
*giggles and casts a sideway glance to Aganzir*
*giggles and casts a sideway glance at Lommy*
Let's just hope that the lean abhorred monster won't take sally to be his paramour... But a pity that our ww got him to dislike the story this much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Ka View Post
Our game already is more confusing than a Sim's neighbourhood
Only the fact that I haven't had too much time to play the Sims recently helps me to resist the temptation to create a Sims neighbourhood for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
So unless anyone strongly objects this with good reasons I'd like the gifteds (and wolves) to know what the wizards final decision was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog
If someone doesn't post anything on two Days in a row she will be modfired eg. removed from the game.
I think these both sound fair.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:47 PM   #289
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna
I had planned to claim lonely goat herder, but opted not to since Legate and phantom are already sheep herders. So everyone village, town, city, place with two houses in it, needs a tavern wench. Gladly shall I fill that role.
My daughter, a tavern wench? Why couldn't you be a respectable apprentice like your sister?

If we have a tavern wench, then we likely need a tavern, and thus a tavern owner. There's a job for anyone who can't think of something.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 03:11 PM   #290
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
If we have a tavern wench, then we likely need a tavern, and thus a tavern owner. There's a job for anyone who can't think of something.
Wasn't Kath still without an occupation and not having too many ideas about it? I could see her as the tavern owner... and think about how she and Brinn might have then met and how, or at least think what the villagers would talk about it!

A few days to the beginning!

I'll try to make some extra fun by providing a small map of the village if I have time so that you can relate to the narrations and possibly use it in your own posting as well.

And btw. even if all this relations-stuff and all strongly suggests something like roleplaying nothing of the sort is required. All these things are here just for the fun of it (just think of all this discussion here already - and the game hasn't even started yet!) and possibly helping us to have a more enjoyable Day1. And surely to help me with the narrations even if this is admittedly getting a bit complicated. But who wouldn't love a challenge?
Old 05-28-2008, 03:13 PM   #291
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir
Only the fact that I haven't had too much time to play the Sims recently helps me to resist the temptation to create a Sims neighbourhood for this.
Oh no, how could you? Now that you've mentioned it and I do in fact have too much time on my hands, I'm actually considering creating the neighbourhood myself...
Old 05-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #292
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
Everyone, please be sure to review the last chart I posted and double check to make sure everything is correct for you.
Would you add Eomer into the chart as Cailín's husband? He will be in the narration of Night1 and if he will actually play as well in a situation when Cailín can't it would be nice to have him on board there as well.

And a minor correction: Gwath is a highwayman but his brother McCaber is a henchman. So they are not both highwaymen.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:03 PM   #293
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Quote:
Wasn't Kath still without an occupation and not having too many ideas about it? I could see her as the tavern owner... and think about how she and Brinn might have then met and how, or at least think what the villagers would talk about it!
Ah! That's brilliant. Alright, I'll take tavern owner if that alright with my life partner. Brinn's occupation should run alongside mine quite nicely that way.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:12 PM   #294
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Alright, I'll take tavern owner if that alright with my life partner.
Will you sell your dad's sandwiches in there? Or maybe some poultry-dishes provided by your mom? And as your uncle is an apple farmer you'd surely have some cider there as well...
Old 05-28-2008, 05:26 PM   #295
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

So long as Brinn keeps an eye on her sister.... And keeps those trouble-making cousins of hers away.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:29 PM   #296
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Roa - I'd like to really be an evil twin, not just an evil sister, so I'll go with 20 as well, though we'll say I am the technically younger twin.

Thanks for tackling the chart!!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:38 PM   #297
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë
Thank you for accepting me as a son Lommy and Nilp. But how old does that make me?
Your sisters are 20 and 17. Do you want to be the oldest, youngest, or middle child? And do you want to have a profession? If you're young enough to be in school, I need a teacher's pet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
Roa - I'd like to really be an evil twin, not just an evil sister, so I'll go with 20 as well, though we'll say I am the technically younger twin.
Got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
Would you add Eomer into the chart as Cailín's husband? He will be in the narration of Night1 and if he will actually play as well in a situation when Cailín can't it would be nice to have him on board there as well.

And a minor correction: Gwath is a highwayman but his brother McCaber is a henchman. So they are not both highwaymen.
Done and done.

I still need professions from Morm and Celuien. Anyone know where they are?

Last edited by Roa_Aoife; 05-28-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:34 PM   #298
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post
*goes down on one knee*

Greenie, will you marry me?

*hugs* Grandfather! I'm so excited you agreed to play!
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:45 PM   #299
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Oh dear, I see a swift rap with a cane in your future, Sally, my beloved granddaughter. <_<;;

(No, just kidding. :P)
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:25 PM   #300
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Thank's Roa!

Both families seem to stick to themselves with the exception of Brinn & Kath and Legate & Sally who dare to mix with the other family!

Well, since I'm from the midwest in real-life, I decided to go for a change of pace and exclude my kin from the dating pool in the game.

And yes, I'm kidding. Sickos. :P
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:20 AM   #301
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
One last question about the rules:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Rules
The number of gifteds the GW can scry is three eg. one each. One that dies can be replaced on the next Night.
What if a gifted is unscried by the EW? Does the person scried by the GW (if not evil) automatically become the new gifted even when his roster was full when he scried, or is "unscried" treated the same way as "killed" in this regard?
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #302
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
Oh no, how could you? Now that you've mentioned it and I do in fact have too much time on my hands, I'm actually considering creating the neighbourhood myself...
Hehe.

Quote:
So long as Brinn keeps an eye on her sister.... And keeps those trouble-making cousins of hers away.
Speaking about me, eh?
Mom!! Aunt Roa is being nasty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
What if a gifted is unscried by the EW? Does the person scried by the GW (if not evil) automatically become the new gifted even when his roster was full when he scried, or is "unscried" treated the same way as "killed" in this regard?
In the first DW there was
Quote:
Order of Night Activities:
1. Evil wizard picks whom to curse.
2. Good wizard pickes whom to scry.
3. Affected players are informed of results of #1 & #2 (if both wizards pick same villager, this phase gets longer but is completed before the next phase begins).
and if the same were to apply to here, the one the GW picked would become a new gifted immediately.
Yet I don't really know what to think of it. I mean, if the GW has her roster full and can't scry a new gifted that night, she can partly replace the lost one herself (by working as a seer or whatever her ability was). Therefore it might be fairer if the GW got to scry a new one only the following night. What do you others think?
Old 05-29-2008, 12:19 PM   #303
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
if the GW has her roster full and can't scry a new gifted that night, she can partly replace the lost one herself (by working as a seer or whatever her ability was). Therefore it might be fairer if the GW got to scry a new one only the following night. What do you others think?
I think we discussed this already...

But any issue that is unclear should be clarified.

There will be no immediate "replacements". If a gifted dies during the Night the GW can scry her roster full the next Night the earliest.

First of all there is no basic difference between the two options as the gifteds only work at Nights with special powers (and if the gift can be reassigned in the beginning of the next Night then there is no loss from the GW's viewpoint as the new gifted is fully operational that Night).

Secondly when scrying her roster full the GW is after the EW eg. trying to find out who she is. That is not automatically the same person she would like to have as her gifted so we should leave the choices to the GW and not force them upon her.

I'd like to see one or two players more (30 would be just great!). Rune and Mith are busy as well as Oddwen. Firefoot has not answered my call.

Then there were both Holby and Zali who said they were interested in joining the game earlier but of whom I have heard nothing since. If someone of you has more direct contacts with them please ask what is their situation.

If you know of anyone not yet playing feel free to invite them in the game. We still have two days before the game starts!

And don't get me wrong: I'm quite happy with the size of the village. Thirty would just be magnificient and a bit tougher game.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:29 PM   #304
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
I think we discussed this already...
Then I just seemingly missed the conclusion reached.

I asked Groin and Sixth but both are busy. Sixth said though that he might like to play in the next game, so whoever mods it can keep him in mind.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:45 PM   #305
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Then I just seemingly missed the conclusion reached.
I think the arguments behind that conclusion were never made this open though, so it was good the issue arised anyway.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #306
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Concerning Legate's question: yes I think it would be fair for the gifteds to know who they have actually targeted. I was a wolf myself in the first DW and being totally in the darkness was a bit annoying. Given that information the gifted might at least speculate herself what is going on. So unless anyone strongly objects this with good reasons I'd like the gifteds (and wolves) to know what the wizards final decision was.

About the modfire then. If someone doesn't post anything on two Days in a row she will be modfired eg. removed from the game. I don't know whether you consider this a light or strong version of it but to me it looks like not playing and thence getting removed.
All okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
*giggles and casts a sideway glance to Aganzir*
Quote:
*giggles and casts a sideway glance at Lommy*
Let's just hope that the lean abhorred monster won't take sally to be his paramour... But a pity that our ww got him to dislike the story this much.
I really have no idea what these two are talking about...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:15 PM   #307
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I asked Isabell. Waiting on an answer...
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:49 PM   #308
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir
Same here indeed, but mostly because I was unsure about guessing everyone's physical appearance and insulting someone by accident.

Though, I'm a bit afraid what you'd do to my sim after the last WW...

I'm racking my head of who to invite, but everyone I know for the most part has already been asked. Such a small world...

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:53 AM   #309
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
There will be no immediate "replacements". If a gifted dies during the Night the GW can scry her roster full the next Night the earliest.
But if a gifted is turned into an ordo by the EW, then that gifted did not actually die.

Quote:
First of all there is no basic difference between the two options as the gifteds only work at Nights with special powers (and if the gift can be reassigned in the beginning of the next Night then there is no loss from the GW's viewpoint as the new gifted is fully operational that Night).
You lost me. Sure, if a gifted is killed, then by the nightly order, the gift of that individual already took effect, so there's no issue there. But if a gifted is "ordo-ed" by the EW, that gift is lost to the good team for this particular night (because the scry takes place before the abilities of the gifted). It is only reassigned and fully operational the next night.

Quote:
Secondly when scrying her roster full the GW is after the EW eg. trying to find out who she is. That is not automatically the same person she would like to have as her gifted so we should leave the choices to the GW and not force them upon her.
That's true. The question is what is worse to the GW and whether we want him to have this disadvantage to the EW (whose minions are immediately replaced). There would, of course, also be the possibility to ask the GW what he wants, or to let him give his decision on this matter beforehand each time.

Quote:
I think the arguments behind that conclusion were never made this open though, so it was good the issue arised anyway.
At your service.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:01 AM   #310
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
The question is what is worse to the GW and whether we want him to have this disadvantage to the EW (whose minions are immediately replaced).
I just want to remind you that there is a greater risk to the EW than simply being down a wolf if the GW scries one. The scried wolf immediately changes teams, and all the info that they have goes with them. The absolute worst risk that the GW faces is a lost dream if the seer is turned, a role which the GW is already filling at that point. When the gifted roster is full, the good team has two seers. They don't need automatic respawns to balance the game.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:35 AM   #311
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Quote:
I just want to remind you that there is a greater risk to the EW than simply being down a wolf if the GW scries one. The scried wolf immediately changes teams, and all the info that they have goes with them. The absolute worst risk that the GW faces is a lost dream if the seer is turned, a role which the GW is already filling at that point. When the gifted roster is full, the good team has two seers. They don't need automatic respawns to balance the game.
That's a fair point, though of course the knowledge of each individual wolf will probably be kept very limited by the EW.

I'm just concerned about the unbalance that seemed to exist in the previous DW, so I was looking for possible disadvantages for the good team. They lose a gift, while the "gifts" of the evil team (# of kills) is not impaired in the equivalent situation. Sure, the evil team loses a member immediately when he's scried, but in turn the size of the team is not limited.

I'm sorry if I appear picky about this point.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:44 AM   #312
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Hmmm... I tried to lure Jenny to talk with me on Facebook so that I could invite her later, but she never replied... I think I'll go to spam TORE and the previous GW Gurth. Wish me good luck.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:20 AM   #313
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I pestered Kuru, but he's in the midst of moving.

Yeah, I miss TORE and Gurthang!

And what happened to Gil-galad?

I imagine Boro has been pestered?
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:09 PM   #314
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Rikae, can I be your apprentice? (or whatever you call the equivalent thing for a lumberjack).
Old 05-30-2008, 02:04 PM   #315
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Ka View Post
Though, I'm a bit afraid what you'd do to my sim after the last WW...
Thanks for reminding, now I just must find the time.

Has anyone asked Fea?
Old 05-30-2008, 02:38 PM   #316
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
I'm just concerned about the unbalance that seemed to exist in the previous DW, so I was looking for possible disadvantages for the good team. They lose a gift, while the "gifts" of the evil team (# of kills) is not impaired in the equivalent situation. Sure, the evil team loses a member immediately when he's scried, but in turn the size of the team is not limited.
The last game wasn't really unbalanced. The only disadvantage that Gurthang, the previous GW, complained about was the difficulty of communication, which has already been solved. My only complaint was what happened with the hunter, which has again been solved. LMP put a lot of work into balancing the last game, and he did a pretty good job. Everyone seems so concerned about balancing the game, but we all seem to have forgotten LMP's work. We are getting dangerously close to Unbalancing the game in favor of the good side.

Look, if the GW can just instantly replace his gifted, then what would be the point of the wolves trying to kill them? The goal of each Wizard is to bolster their own team while limiting the other. Wolves are not aiming for innocents, they're aiming for gifted. You can't take that away from them, or you heavily unbalance the game in favor of the Good Team. If a seer dream happens EVEN THOUGH the wolves manage to kill the seer, can you really call that fair?

Old 05-30-2008, 04:11 PM   #317
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
If a seer dream happens EVEN THOUGH the wolves manage to kill the seer, can you really call that fair?
This discussion is not a new one. There was a lot of talk whether the first DW was balanced or not. But I do think we have corrected the few main issues (the GW will get all three gifteds from the start + both teams can communicate only during the Nights) and I do share Roa's fear of "balancing" it too much.

But that exact ruling I would like to keep. There is a clear and certain order how things happen during the Night and thence as the seer's dream is before the wolves will kill anyone the dream will be revealed to the GW even if the seer dies that Night.

About questions concerning invitations:

Fea has been sent an invitation - a long ago it was but still. There has been no answer - which holds true for Holby, Naria and Anguirel as well.

Boro had to decline because of RL busyness.

Spm and tgwbs have not visited the 'Downs since I've sent them an invitation so I wouldn't count on them either.

I have just sent a PM to both Zali and Holby who both have declared their interest in playing this game earlier.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:27 PM   #318
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
Look, if the GW can just instantly replace his gifted, then what would be the point of the wolves trying to kill them? The goal of each Wizard is to bolster their own team while limiting the other. Wolves are not aiming for innocents, they're aiming for gifted. You can't take that away from them, or you heavily unbalance the game in favor of the Good Team. If a seer dream happens EVEN THOUGH the wolves manage to kill the seer, can you really call that fair?
I'm not talking about the wolf-kills at all. As Nogrod said, the rules are clear on that, whether they're fair or not is another thing. My original question was what happens if a gifted is taken away from the good team by the scry of the EW (i.e. doesn't die). I guess "no immediate" regifting counts in both cases, dying and not dying. I didn't mean to overbalance things either.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:13 AM   #319
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
There has been no answer - which holds true for Holby, Naria and Anguirel as well.

Spm and tgwbs have not visited the 'Downs since I've sent them an invitation so I wouldn't count on them either.
I mentioned the game to tgwbs awhile ago, but he replied he's still in school and will remain fairly busy throughout the summer. As for Anguirel, since he's also at Oxford I can only assume he's still in school as well...and getting a glimpse at his crazy schedule, I can only guess he won't be available.

I mentioned DW in a message to Formy, but he hasn't replied yet. Hmm...has anyone tried Sleepy Ranger and Farael? Or how about Elf-Warrior and Menel? Well, I know I can pester at least half of these guys via Facebook...
Old 05-31-2008, 05:21 PM   #320
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
Hmm...has anyone tried Sleepy Ranger and Farael? Or how about Elf-Warrior and Menel? Well, I know I can pester at least half of these guys via Facebook...
Just do it!