The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-22-2007, 01:07 PM   #1
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
WW XXIX Dor-en-Gaur admin thread

When Gorlim came back from the war he found his village plundered and forsaken and thence he fled to the companions of Barahir.

But what had happened to the village? Were his wife Eiliniel and other villagers slain, taken or just hiding somewhere Gorlim couldn't find out on his nightly tours around his earlier homestead?

We all know where those searchings lead into, but now we will be visiting the village and mold it's destiny.

There will be three wolves to kill the villagers by the order of Sauron.

There will be three rangers to defend the village.

There will be three additional characters that may benefit the village or the wolves, depending on their luck and judgement.

The village will probably have to make it out without a Seer. (This case I will have to study still a bit)

The players (updated version):
Durelin
Rikae
Thinlómien
Volo
Kath
Macalaure
Rune son of Bjarne
Boromir88
Mithalwen
Lalwendë
Farael
Naria
Anguirel
Mormegil
Celuien
Firefoot
Eomer
Gil-Galad
Roa_Aoife

A couple of more players would be great, and I might be even ready to go over the 18. It's a lot easier to come up with some additional things than to have a game with too few players...

I have taken some "dry rounds" with this concept and after four trials the tally is 2-2, all games making at least 6 Days and the most clear win being by the villagers where three of them survived. Looks good, I think. I will have to make a few trials with some non-randomness introduced to make it sure it's even enough.

To begin with I would say:
- no to double-lynchings, as there will be enough action without them
- yes to one retractable vote / Day as it grants a chance for those who are not sure to make it before the end of the Day to vote and makes the last minute voting much more interesting
- suggested deadline 9 or 10 PM GMT, the actual time by the "world clock" (I'll be putting a link in the actual game thread for it)

Feel free to voice your points of view on these questions, and others...

I will be sending more stuff on rules and the like as soon as I have time. The first narration to set the scene will also be coming forwards in a day or two.

Last edited by Nogrod; 01-29-2007 at 01:51 AM.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Of those three at least yet undisclosed characters:

One of them would be new to this game. At least I haven't seen one like that before. The two others would be more familiar, but with a little twist. One of them might have some real influence on how the things turn out, another one would have her/his share over the fortunes of the village and with the third one everything would be a bit more subtle. My initial idea was and is that I would not disclose these roles to you before the game but that you might get some hints / revelations through the Nightly narrations about them.

Also trying to introduce a new character + three rangers, I felt I had to try those "dry rounds" just to make sure the game is in balance. Now it seems it is.

Are you ready to jump into the darkness with these or do you require that you know everything beforehand? As I said earlier, there will be no changing roles or new roles introduced in the middle of the game eg. everyone will be what they are from the beginning to their end. And you would be able to learn things from the narrations (even though that might mean some speculation).

Three added things I've thought:

- As long as there are three wolves they will have two kills / Night. As soon as one of them gets killed they will only have one kill / Night.
- The rangers will start not knowing the identities of each other. But due to certain circumstances they might learn each others identities and with good luck they might even earn the right to PM during the Days! (the last one would require some especially good luck or real cunning "teamplay" and daring by them)
- Of those three undisclosed ones two would basically be on the side of the villagers and one on the side of the wolves. They could all benefit the cause they are fighting for but they could also harm their cause. The one being on the wolves' side would not be counted as a wolf but as a villager in the last Days tally, but would win along with the wolves if they win.

What say you?
Old 01-22-2007, 09:26 PM   #3
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Where do I sign up?

If it's not here, then I'll delete this post, but count me in!
Old 01-22-2007, 10:22 PM   #4
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
Thumbs up

Sounds interesting Nog!! Pen me in.

PS: I will be voting early everyDay due to our lousy timezones
Old 01-22-2007, 11:12 PM   #5
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
About the times: 21:00 GTM would be much better.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:58 AM   #6
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Nice to see you around Farael and Naria! I have added you to the playerlist in post #1 of this thread.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:23 AM   #7
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Looks really promising!

I unfortunately can't participate during this weekend (Saturday+Sunday), but I hope that won't stop me from playing... I also have to vote quite early as I don't have that damn net access home.

edit: I'm for the earlier deadline too. Good ideas those special roles, and it'd be interesting not to have a seer.

Last edited by Thinlómien; 01-23-2007 at 05:11 AM.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:47 AM   #8
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

About the timetable

We now have thirteen players signed in (of which I would like to have a confirmation here from Kitanna, Mith and Lalwendë just to be sure). I would like to have eighteen. We can start the game with a smaller gang but then I will have to relook at the roles and numbers. We can have more players as it's not too hard to come up with additional twists...

I'm hoping to start this one with a Night-phase on coming Sunday (24-hours for the wolves to discuss their strategy and for everyone to fill in the "questionnaire" - more of that later). If we don't have 18 players by then I would be ready to wait for one or two days more to fill the roster up. If we have 18 players before Sunday I might be tempted to wait until Sunday anyhow as at least Lommy has said she will not be able to play during the weekend.

Do any others have time constraits?

Last edited by Nogrod; 01-23-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:51 AM   #9
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Irresistible - I'm in...I really like the multiple Rangers, though I feel this will be a "pawn of the gods" game...
Old 01-23-2007, 11:54 AM   #10
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

About the questionnaire

We all know how starting the Day1 can be hard. The occupations have served as excuses in many games to start the banter and take the game off.

Now I would like to try a different approach to the Day1's, and hopefully leave all those fabricated roles aside for good. I will be asking all of you players to fill a questionnaire before the game starts. The questions will be "officially" PM'd to you about 24 hours before the Day1 starts and the list of players is closed. You should give me your answers at least an hour before the game actually starts (so you have 23 hours to fill them) by replying to my PM. Please: do not post your answers to the thread! As we will have this "gallup" embedded to the narration of Night1, we might have more fruitful things to start from than just mere occupation-related stuff.

I hope you will make the most out of this gallup. I will be giving you a chance of leaving a question blank if you really feel you don't know how to answer it, but I just hope you remember that for this stuff to work we need as many answers as possible. No one's personal answers will be revealed. They will be presented as a sum total of the village attitude to one another so feel free to answer as honestly as you can - or as cunningly as you can, depending on who you are and how do you wish to play your game.

The questionnaire will look more or less the following (just for you to start thinking about it - naturally it can be answered only after the signing up is complete). You may have more than one name as an answer to any one of the questions.

1. Is there a person in this village you tend to trust? Who?
2. Is there a person in this village you tend to symphatise with? Who?
3. Is there a person in this village you tend to distrust whatever is the case? Who?
4. Is there a person in this village you're afraid of in principle? Who?
5. Name one or two persons (or more) you would really like to be on the same side with.

If you come up with other questions that would be worth asking or if you have points about why one or more of these are a bad ones to ask, please post your views on this thread or PM me about them.

Last edited by Nogrod; 01-23-2007 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:56 AM   #11
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
Irresistible - I'm in...I really like the multiple Rangers, though I feel this will be a "pawn of the gods" game...
Good to see you in Ang! And happily I can't suspect you this time!

"Pawn of the gods"? Possibly. But it's all up to how you people play it...
Old 01-23-2007, 02:12 PM   #12
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Fine I'm in but cannot guarantee 20 posts per day
Old 01-23-2007, 02:29 PM   #13
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
You don't need to, 19 will be just fine...

Welcome Morm! I do appreciate you being in this one!
Old 01-23-2007, 02:35 PM   #14
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh fab ... this is going to be so good .. I think that is confirmation unless something crops up...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:01 PM   #15
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
This looks so good! How can I stay away?

Please count me in.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:38 PM   #16
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
So we meet again Mormegil. . . .

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:59 PM   #17
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne
So we meet again Mormegil. . . .
Let's see how many Nemisi do I have now?

I personally am for giving full disclosure about the roles but I'm sure others would disagree, which is, of course, unacceptable
Old 01-23-2007, 04:19 PM   #18
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
*pops head out of the greasy-spoon kitchen*

I heard that!

Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:24 PM   #19
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
I personally am for giving full disclosure about the roles but I'm sure others would disagree, which is, of course, unacceptable
That is a point to be discussed. My first idea was that it would give you something to chew during the Days if you'd have to check the narrations for the three roles (the "hints" would not be too cryptic, but actually meant to be understood) but the baddies would have their chance of twisting the overall opinion about them too.

But I will make it the way you players wish. I would like to keep them a bit shady, but will reveal them quite happily if you wish so...
Old 01-23-2007, 04:34 PM   #20
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
My vote: I'm up for anything. I was all prepared to be sneaky about what all the actual roles were in my game...and this way I won't be the one to blame for being tricksy.

Though those questions are going to take some thought... I mean, thinking?! In this game? Absurd.

Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:46 PM   #21
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
Though those questions are going to take some thought... I mean, thinking?! In this game? Absurd.
Just burst your head with the questions!

But I truly hope they will provide you all with a lots of material to go on on Day1... I trust you on that!

But again, if you wish to have some occupations, just to be sure, it's okay by me. I just think / hope we won't need them this time as they have generally felt quite fabricated to me (not counting the few games where they were built in the game with more seriousness, like Dueling Wizards family-trees or the RPG-game).
Old 01-23-2007, 05:10 PM   #22
mormegil
Maundering Mage

The biggest problem I have is that you are asking us to draw conclusion about information we don't have yet and how it would impact the game, ergo I want the information...I'll tell you what, you tell me the info privately and I'll decide what I think.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:37 PM   #23
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
I'll tell you what, you tell me the info privately and I'll decide what I think.

Quote:
The biggest problem I have is that you are asking us to draw conclusion about information we don't have yet and how it would impact the game, ergo I want the information...
But to be honest, I'm not quite sure what you mean here: the undisclosed roles or the questionnaire (or something else)?

Leaving the three roles undisclosed in the beginning - but making them more or less clear in the Nightly narrations - I think could add to the suspension of the game and would make it more enjoyable. I'm not going to be too cryptic about them anyway as I'm not interested in being a foul moderator who intentionally leads people astray. That has never been my goal with this. It will all depend on the way the game turns out. They might be clear to everyone in one or two Nights or then not, all depending on the action that takes place...

If you were pointing at the questionnaire, well... I'm quite sure you all have your preconceptions of the others playing, of most of them. This I admit is a kind of exploitation, but only to make the Day1 more interesting. You were yourself referring to the nemesis of yours (whatever the plural of that is in old-Greek)... so just bring them forwards as the time is up and make them part of the village standings in the beginning of the game! Then we'll see what comes out of it - if anything. Remember, the idea of that is to replace the occupations with revealing something you think of each other collectively. You may use that information as you wish, but I think it better thing to grasp than any random occupations people have come up with before they even know what their role will be...

If it was something else you should come back to the subject... And if it was one of the two I mentioned and my answers didn't make you content, please raise the issue again.

All I wish is that you would have a nice game you all enjoy. It is perfectly possible that I think of this differently than some of you and because of that I would be happy to get all the differing views beforehand - as now we have time to change things...

Last edited by Nogrod; 01-23-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:07 PM   #24
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
All right... I'll play. Sounds fun.

10 GMT would be much better than 9 - I'm typically home by 10. Typically. I'm not making guarantees about the amount of time I can devote - evenings are clear but basically everything else isn't.

(It's been a looong time... last spring??)
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:12 PM   #25
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
All right... I'll play. Sounds fun.
So good to see you around Firefoot!
Old 01-23-2007, 11:04 PM   #26
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

As much as I want to play in this game, one of my classes has decided I am to have no fun this semester. I'm pretty swamped for the moment. So I must sit this out.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:10 AM   #27
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I've always been rather fond of occupations, as I regard Werewolf as at least half a dramatic exercise. But if most people don't want them, that's fine.

Couldn't we be roles related to distantly Eiliniel and Gorlim, like in the WerePenguin game with Elenwe's hangers-on? Or we could have a family tree; I missed the Dueling Wizards and would like to try the brother 'gainst brother aspect...which works well for a close knit village.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:36 AM   #28
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

3 games in a row? I've never done it before, but I can hardly turn down a request from such a stellar individual. Count me in, Nogrod. Although if Gaunt shows up he is welcome to take my spot.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:37 AM   #29
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up

This is just to say "I'm in!"

Yeah!

Will have to swot up on them rules again though!
Old 01-24-2007, 11:38 AM   #30
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:

Ah well comfort yourself by knowing you are mine ...... simply becasue you just know ...

Old 01-24-2007, 11:53 AM   #31
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Or we could have a family tree; I missed the Dueling Wizards and would like to try the brother 'gainst brother aspect...which works well for a close knit village.

Maybe Nogrod could draw that up on the basis of the questionnaire...

Old 01-24-2007, 01:10 PM   #32
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Oh boy Lal's back for another one...finally I get the pleasure of see how she is...hmm, should prove to be interesting.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:07 PM   #33
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
Oh boy Lal's back for another one...finally I get the pleasure of see how she is...hmm, should prove to be interesting.
Be careful Mr Boro...in that first game I wasn't successful as I didn't trust my instincts, but it turned out my instincts were correct in the end... I must be a good hunter

I was last one standing in that - so I'm betting I won't be in this one
Old 01-24-2007, 02:35 PM   #34
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

It's nice to have you around Eomer as it is sad to see Kitanna gone...

We're still in 17 confirmed players and that is very good I think. A few more would be fabulous but I'm ready to go with this line-up too. As I said earlier, Lommy has asked us to start after the weekend and if no one has anything against it the game will start on Sunday with a Night phase.
Quote:
I've always been rather fond of occupations, as I regard Werewolf as at least half a dramatic exercise. .............
Couldn't we be roles related to distantly Eiliniel and Gorlim, like in the WerePenguin game with Elenwe's hangers-on? Or we could have a family tree; I missed the Dueling Wizards and would like to try the brother 'gainst brother aspect...
I have nothing against occupations as such and am quite ready to take them with in this game. The whole idea of the questionnaire was just to give the players also something else to chew on Day1. And yes, you might have relations to Eiliniel and Gorlim if you wished. It's a small village in Taur-nu-Fuin, so the occupations should be something around that scenery... What say you? I'm happy with occupations or without them.

I also agree with Ang that the family-tree stuff was hilarious in the Dueling Wizards and really enhanced the experience. But it's hard to fit in with the questionnaire-idea and might make this game a bit too complicated with all possible features around at the same time. So I would leave that idea to some other game - in which I would really like to join myself in as a player!

About the deadline: At least for now I think Firefoot's hope of a later (10PM GMT) one weighs heavier than Lommy's and Volo's point on the earlier one (9PM GMT). As - if I interpret it right - it's a question of having a possibility to join at the last hour while other times are more problematic against the inconvenience of having to vote an hour earlier but still considerably late.

I would like to hear if there are any other problems with the deadline? If it's generally thought better or if someone's chances to take part are greatly enhanced by it, I might try to heave the deadline up to 10.30-11 PM GMT but would not be too happy with that as I live myself in +2GMT.

I'll try to have the initial narration and thence the actual game-thread up tomorrow for you to see.

Meanwhile I would like to hear your views on the occupations / the deadline... and other things you wish to discuss before the game.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:55 PM   #35
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Deadline - I think I'm in the same situation as Firefoot - that is, I'll have to vote very early in the day if it's 9 GMT. 10 would be fine, though.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:40 PM   #36
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Either deadline is fine but just as a personal preference I'd go with 10. As for roles having them is fun but I can live without.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:09 AM   #37
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I, too, am glad to see Lalwendë in this one, as I missed the last one she was in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
About the deadline: At least for now I think Firefoot's hope of a later (10PM GMT) one weighs heavier than Lommy's and Volo's point on the earlier one (9PM GMT).
Agreed. No problem with that then.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:54 AM   #38
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
10 GTM is fine.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:37 PM   #39
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
Can't resist. The singular is "nemesis" while the plural would be "nemeses" (pronounced nem-uh-seez).

<gins, ducks, and runs for his life...>
Old 01-25-2007, 02:41 PM   #40
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenamir
Can't resist. The singular is "nemesis" while the plural would be "nemeses" (pronounced nem-uh-seez).

<gins, ducks, and runs for his life...>
Thank you good sir, I was guessing and wrong.