The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-05-2007, 04:56 AM   #961
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Why are all the good one's wedded

Your photos are stunning and the dress is very Elven, it's at this point I wish I was a few hundred years younger.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:04 AM   #962
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Okay, I has a new picture, but you don't have to put it on the photo page, I just thought it might be interesting for some of the peoples.

Hookbill the Bombadil?

Good, eh?
Old 05-07-2007, 04:16 AM   #963
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Hookbill moans like a very old man
His jackets too tight and his boots are tan
He can't skip far since he got fatter
His boots aren't right and he's mad as a hatter.

Hooky's off home to his pretty Goldigga
She's very pretty with a really nice figure
Down by the canal, that's where he caught her
Silly old Hooky and The Glibber-womans daughter.

Old Hooky smiles but he's not happy
Goldigga's broody so he has to wear a nappy
That's why he walks a little bit funny
So he skips along like a frightened bunny.

Sorry Hooky couldn't resist, I will pay my due at Oxonmoot , make sure you bring your costume to Oxonmoot.

Last edited by narfforc; 05-07-2007 at 05:14 AM.
narfforc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:20 AM   #964
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc
make sure you bring your costume to Oxonmoot.
That's what it's for. I know the boots aren't right, but have you ever tried to get yellow boots? It's really hard! I'm going to see if I can change the colour of the ones I've got at some point before September...
Old 05-07-2007, 06:11 AM   #965
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
It should not be too hard if you could do with rain-boots (wellingtons?), it is unlikely that Tom B was wearing this kind of boots, but it might do the trick.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:13 AM   #966
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Hookbill, that's wonderful! I really like the Bombadil outfit. Now that I'm seriously considering coming to Oxonmoot too, I'm starting to plan a new costume and identity - maybe a hobbit this time?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:00 AM   #967
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne
It should not be too hard if you could do with rain-boots (wellingtons?), it is unlikely that Tom B was wearing this kind of boots, but it might do the trick.
Wellingtons were my first port of call.
They just don't do yellow ones unless you're 4 years old. Anyway, Those boots I can colour so, they should do for their purpose.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:27 AM   #968
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Back in the days all wellingtons used to be yellow, but then they started to make them in many colours for children and green for adults. . . The work of Saruman, I am sure!

Old 05-07-2007, 07:59 AM   #969
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba
Okay, I has a new picture, but you don't have to put it on the photo page, I just thought it might be interesting for some of the peoples.

Hookbill the Bombadil?

Good, eh?

DADDY!!

And in time for an early Father's Day, here's a website that has adult yellow boots!!

yelly wellies
Old 05-07-2007, 08:10 AM   #970
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry
Ah! Thank'ee very much.
I'll give you golds.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #971
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
Ok, Tigerlilly, I sent my picture! The site looks great! How fun to finally see what y'all look like.

-The Elfchick
Old 05-22-2007, 11:11 AM   #972
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
This is why we need the photo page, as none of you have the moniker "Bob" or "Tim" but have more interesting names that confound all understanding.

And just what's a Bethberry supposed to look like?
Old 05-22-2007, 12:12 PM   #973
Beleg Cuthalion
Wight

Beleg Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
This is why we need the photo page, as none of you have the moniker "Bob" or "Tim" but have more interesting names that confound all understanding.

Interesting study...And yeah what the heck is a Bethberry supposed to look like?!?

Btw, nice pic Hookbill very humorous. Also, Feanor your friend is a pretty good photographer. Rikae, the red looks good and I've seen worse lighting. To everyone else sorry, I'm to lazy to comment any more right now, soooo.... to all.

~Beleg

Quis ut Deus
Beleg Cuthalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:43 PM   #974
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Leaf

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleg Cuthalion
...And yeah what the heck is a Bethberry supposed to look like?!?
Well, would a Sindarin berry look like this?

And just how is Beleg loading up his posts with so many smilies? Does the three smilie limit work only on the forum smilie choices?
Old 05-22-2007, 03:52 PM   #975
Beleg Cuthalion
Wight

Eye

Quote:
Well, would a Sindarin berry look like this?

And just how is Beleg loading up his posts with so many smilies? Does the three smilie limit work only on the forum smilie choices?
I really don't know. (What are those exactly?) Btw, my extra smiles are from other sources it's still a limit of three.

~Beleg

Quis ut Deus
Old 05-22-2007, 04:04 PM   #976
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

In Denmark we call them "Snow-berrys" (Sne-bær)

Old 05-22-2007, 04:11 PM   #977
Beleg Cuthalion
Wight

Eye

Quote:
Ahh. Thanks for the intel.

Quis ut Deus
Old 05-22-2007, 08:16 PM   #978
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:
Of course, one could question whether such Sindarin or snow berries would be suitable for a child who grew up in the Old Forest. Now, willows don't produce berries, but there are holly berries and mistletoe, to say nothing of the myriad berries available in The Shire. Why, I think I shall have to refer people to a solid source if they wish to know what a bethberry looks like.

And there you see, Beleg, how we may entertain ourselves while we wait with happy expectations to see the next round of photos. For wait we must, as our hostess is a very busy lady who kindly volunteers her time to maintain our photo site. Think of it as a life skill, patience.

Last edited by Bêthberry; 05-22-2007 at 08:23 PM.
Bêthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:12 PM   #979
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
There's a three smilie limit - but there's probably an eight or so limit on other pics. How else would Crazy Scenes with Pics survive?

Oh and - you're all gorgeous. Or weird. Or both.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:58 AM   #980
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

1420! Happy Day Mistress Gamgee

Today is Tigerlily Gamgee's birthday. Let us praise her with great praise for her wonderful efforts at maintaining this site that is the true uncloaking of our mysteries here.

*insert birthday cake smiley here*
Old 05-23-2007, 11:26 AM   #981
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
Ms. Gamgee, I salute you for a lovely photo page. Thank you so much! Happy birthday!
Old 05-26-2007, 06:11 AM   #982
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!

Chat skwerl is closing this thread temporarily for clean-up. All chat posts will be deleted without warning. Please remember that the purpose of this thread is only to support and augment Tigerlily's site - either send in your picture, post a new one here, or comment briefly on others' new photos. Idle and 'toying' conversations are off topic; personal remarks should be sent by PM.

If you notice that your post count has decreased significantly after I finish pruning this thread, you should be careful in the future - too much chatting can result in the (hopefully temporary! ) loss of your posting privileges.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:00 AM   #983
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Like every Father's Day, my wife - with a little help from the kids - makes the family tie dye shirts, which become my gift, along with the requisite picture with the kids. I've uploaded this year's version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alatars.jpg (92.4 KB, 402 views)
Old 06-18-2007, 11:28 AM   #984
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

mrs. alatar has a great eye for design--the great shirts almost outshine the gorgeous kids--but why are you hiding your shirt behind the kids? And does she get one?

PS. I hope you had a great Father's Day, with some sleep and the only hallucinations being those of celebrating fatherhood.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:14 PM   #985
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
mrs. alatar has a great eye for design--the great shirts almost outshine the gorgeous kids--but why are you hiding your shirt behind the kids?
Thanks for your kind words. It was a rough weekend, and so I was taking advantage of the moment to sit.

Quote:
And does she get one?
As a rule, no, she never makes herself one. As our family has grown, the dog no longer gets a shirt, and this year, the kit that she bought didn't have enough rubber bands, and so the kids' shirts look less spirally and more circular. Mrs. alatar said that next year she has to buy two.

Quote:
PS. I hope you had a great Father's Day, with some sleep and the only hallucinations being those of celebrating fatherhood.
Thanks; not much sleep, though, but why would some greeting card industry-invented day be any different? Your mention of Father's Day makes me think about how Tolkien loved his kids, and how he wrote TH and LotR (somewhat) to entertain his children. That is so cool. And so...

Fathers, I know that you would face down a winged Balrog, or jump in front of that dragon-sounding locomotive that mysteriously chugs along in the Shire, or even cross the Gorgoroth barefoot if that's what it took to save your children and their mother, but I'm guessing that the opportunities to do so may be few and far between. So while you sit waiting with the endurance of Hurin, take a moment and put down the remote, turn off the game, postpone that golf outing or yardwork that is just so important to finish - even log off the Downs (until they're asleep) - and pick up a ball, a doll or even better a book and sit with your kids and focus on them. Read them the Hobbit; play LotR (light sabres serve as Anduril and Glamdring) or make up stories about the day-to-day life of Galadriel.

When that's done, help out their mother - clean up something, be the first one up when someone's crying at night, get up and get them breakfast, eat last at dinner - you said that you'd be on the front line for the Dagor Dagorath, and so waiting to eat, losing a little sleep, and doing without a few comforts surely doesn't even compare.

"Emotions!" alatar almost falls getting off his high horse, and goes to get his dictionary to see if his avatar is next to the words hypocrite, sanctimonious, and banned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg no_joke.jpg (80.8 KB, 393 views)

Last edited by alatar; 06-18-2007 at 08:24 PM.
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:05 AM   #986
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

It isn't like me to share photos, but I'm in an odd mood tonight, so there.

These were taken a month ago, during our summer "holidays." It depicts our subject in two different states of haggardness, which you will notice if you observe the hair closely. Our subject and her companions were studying an hour or so before a Biochemistry quiz, you see.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp haysigenanga.bmp (56.3 KB, 420 views)
File Type: bmp feelingsadako.bmp (56.3 KB, 393 views)
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:23 AM   #987
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
my favorite way to disappoint my elders...

Pink hair!

Old 06-21-2007, 08:24 AM   #988
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Nice. . . I wonder if pink or red hair would suit me.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:44 AM   #989
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up Red Rune?*

I think it suits you, Mr Rune.

Looks good Fea. If you want to be really outrageous, try green hair and add yellow spots.

*Sounds like a Peter Gabriel song, no?
Old 06-21-2007, 08:56 AM   #990
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Why didn't you dye the eyebrows, Fea?
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:03 AM   #991
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
Why didn't you dye the eyebrows, Fea?
Fear of accidental blindness ensuing.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:10 AM   #992
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Fair enough. It still looks very cool. One day my tongue will be as prehensile as yours.

And Lhuny looks lovely - no hairy hagardness noted.

Last edited by the guy who be short; 06-21-2007 at 09:16 AM. Reason: formatting
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:10 AM   #993
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
Pink hair!
Very nice. Ah...to be young again when colouring one's hair doesn't cause an office panic/expulsion nor calls for an exorcism.

Is that a fly in the upper corner that you're trying to catch?

Lhunardawen, nice. Note that, being me, I see a person whose head can spin round like an owl...which is a little creepy.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:31 AM   #994
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Ah...to be young again when colouring one's hair doesn't cause an office panic/expulsion nor calls for an exorcism.
I'm not sure youth applies... I've spent the past two days with my father's voice in my head asking "And just who do you expect to hire you looking like some dumb punk kid? I certainly wouldn't have you working for me."

Quote:
Is that a fly in the upper corner that you're trying to catch?
But of course.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:59 PM   #995
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgwbs
And Lhuny looks lovely - no hairy hagardness noted.
You're sweet. But that's because the photo's too small to show it, I now realise.

Quote:
Lhunardawen, nice. Note that, being me, I see a person whose head can spin round like an owl...which is a little creepy.
There's a certain trick to it. I could teach you, if you like.

Fea, you amazingly manage to look good in anything.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:14 PM   #996
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Thanks for the inlightentment Hookbill, now I just need to cut my hair, let my beard grow, gain a few pounds and then use that die. . . .

Of course I would have to stay away from fea as well, otherwise I would steal her thunder.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:50 PM   #997
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Eh, er...hm...I will refrain from any comments.

But, tell me, seriously - why can't people be satisfied with natural hair colors??

-- Folwren
Old 06-22-2007, 08:30 PM   #998
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by It Is Folly
Eh, er...hm...I will refrain from any comments.

But, tell me, seriously - why can't people be satisfied with natural hair colors??
I love it. I've seen people wearing similar shades, and am so envious.

I love my haircolor - but would love to try something different, just once, because I love color so much.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:44 PM   #999
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Satisfied, sure. But why not have fun with it; it's just hair?

Love it, Fea...it reminds me of when my friend dyed hers a sort of dark turquoise recently, and I was surprised how good it looked... I’m now considering that colour myself. XD
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 07:47 PM   #1000
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
There's a certain trick to it. I could teach you, if you like.
If you mean teaching me how to look like picture #2, (1) I can look haggard without any assistance (it's genetic), or (2) if you hadn't noticed, there's no way with my current hair style that I'd ever be able to accomplish said feat, regardless of training (and long hair takes up time that I'd rather use drinking coffee) or (3) learning to spin my head completely around might sound like a good thing, but, as a parent, sometimes it's better not to turn around and to just keep walking.

Fea, I'm reminded of the commercial for those little teeny breath mints where the woman juggles a bunch on her tongue. Your picture could be inserted in the last 5 seconds of the ad with the tag line, "Now in pink lemonade!"

If I were you, I'd be sending your photo now. And when you make it big, just now and then remember us little people.