The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe Lord of the Rings as written by other authors

Just found a funny page on this topic, check it out here: http://www.astro.umd.edu/~pierce/lotrbyothers.html

Of course, if anyone has an idea of how another writer would write it, it would great to read some.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:32 AM   #2
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
I the ones by Mark Twain and Douglas Adams are my favourite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain?
Persons attempting to resolve the question of Balrog wings by means of this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to define the nature of Tom Bombadil will be banished; persons attempting to find allegory in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR
Like that would have stopped anyone. If this were a rule on the Barrow-Downs many would experience a painful second death.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:30 AM   #3
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Dashiell Hammett would be a good choice to parody. He's one of my favorites.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:34 AM   #4
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
There was a thread here with parodies on I think.... I haven't found it yet but I remember it was good...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:38 AM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
There's a nice long thread with lots of contributions by various Downers here: If LotR had been written by someone else

That thread has traditionally been located on the Books forum for so long that it has not been moved to Mirth. For those who would prefer to post here, I will leave this thread open for now.

If you would like to contribute a new parody tale, please use the above-linked thread so that there will be no confusion when searching. Thanks!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:43 AM   #6
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
That was it... no wonder I didn't find it ... I looked in Mirth....

Old 01-05-2010, 08:38 AM   #7
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sorry about that, didn't know there was another one for this.

Well, you could just move the first posts into the other thread and delete this one, that would be ok with me.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:22 PM   #8
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
By the way, the first couple (at least) on that linked page were cribbed from our old thread.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #9
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Thanks for the link Esty. That's a great thread. Wonderful to read through it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Underhill View Post
By the way, the first couple (at least) on that linked page were cribbed from our old thread.
Although, to be fair, the owner of the site (assuming that it is the same one) did pop up on the thread to request permission to use the Downers' contributions on his own site and appears generally to have been given licence to do so.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:34 AM   #10
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Well, it turned out that the first few on that thread were posted by a member who found them elsewhere and "forgot" to acknowledge his source. They did not originate on the Downs.

Anything that is published on the internet spreads rapidly, but whenever possible, the original author should be named.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #11
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Sorry about that, didn't know there was another one for this.

Well, you could just move the first posts into the other thread and delete this one, that would be ok with me.

I mentioned it because I remembered it being remarkably good and worth bringing to a new audience not because it was a duplicate

I don't think you possibly could have known about it - I only had a vague memory of it from my earliest days here and looked quite hard - though in the wrong place...

Old 01-07-2010, 10:41 AM   #12
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Yeah I remember reading that thread and laughing heartily. Some of those contributions were very good regardless of the source (which, as Esty points out, always should be acknowledged nevertheless)
Old 01-07-2010, 11:51 AM   #13
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Well then, let's keep the thread... enough talking about threads...

Looking forward to some new ideas on LotR as written by others.