The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
WW: LXXXV - The Lost Philosophers of Maiar

Eä Herald - Narvinyë 6, 7th age

It is said in the Ainulindalë, that when Ilúvatar made the third theme to finally counter Melkor’s music it was “deep and wide and beautiful, but slow and blended with immeasurable sorrow”. But Melkor’s theme which was “loud, vain and endlessly repeated” , and having little harmony, came louder and louder drowning the other music “by the violence of it’s voice”. And so Ilúvatar had to come forth with the powerful chord “deeper than the Abyss” to end the Music.

Numerous interpretations have been entertained ever since as to what actually happened there in the beginning with the Music of Ainur assembled by Ilúvatar Himself. What did Melkor weave into the Music and how did it affect the fate of and all that is with it?

In the annals of the Middle-Earth it is said that no one but Ilúvatar knew or understood what his exact legacy was, not even Melkor himself. But in the light of the latest research by the honorable scholar Mr. Nogrod from the University of Past Wisdom – and by the sensational tapes that were uncovered by the recent excavations from Utumno’s deepest caverns – it seems quite credible that Melkor actually had quite a clear hunch of what his part in the music was and how he would study the possibilities of exploiting it to his liking.

Here’s professor Nogrod on the issue.

Contrary to the generally accepted truth, it seems either Ilúvatar did do some really neat spin-doctoring with the Ainulindalë, or then His ways are even more unpredictable we’ve even imagined. For according to my recent studies it looks clear to me what Melkor’s part in the Music was. It was mortality, plain and simple.

Melkor had absolute doubt about it until Aulë’s deeds were revealed to him by his spies. The creation of the mortal dwarves made him confident the secret was there; not only had he influenced Aulë to follow a path not laid out by Ilúvatar, but his theme had also introduced a new element into being: the waning of the created life, the unavoidable death of something that was alive, power that negated being! It was clear to him then why Ilúvatar had been so agitated and why he ended the Music so abruptly, like that. It would be an understatement to say he was thrilled.

And he then knew deep inside that the Eä would be swarming with mortal life! But being immortal himself, Melkor had no idea how it would feel to know you’re going to die one day, and how that would affect the psychology of a being. And how powerless the dwarves were? What would it feel like to have no power? And Melkor was fully aware that in order to be fully able to exploit other creatures you have to master their psychology. So he had to learn about those sorry conditions somehow to start scheming against the new life that he knew was coming forth but whose conditions of being he couldn’t understand.

To his disappointment Ilúvatar and Aulë had hid the dwarves so well that even if he sent his best and most trusted spies to look for them, they couldn’t find them for experimenting. It was then he had the inklings of a master-plan. And that’s what the newly found tapes from Utumno tell a story of, confirming many of my hypotheses.

So what was Melkor’s master-plan about?

What is the immeasurable sorrow in Ilúvatar’s theme?

What is the vain and endless repetition of violence with no harmony on Melkor’s theme?

Why was the end of it deeper than the abyss?

Follow the Eä Herald (TM) to find out. We’ll be publishing you some incredible footage from ages ago with the kind permission and co-operation by the University of Past Wisdom’s Historico-philosophical department and our good professor Nogrod!

NB. Do not post in this thread yet! The game begins around New year.

Patience... is one of the virtues.

Last edited by Nogrod; 12-29-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:18 AM   #2
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Rules and Regulations

There 24 players.

There are 4 wolves - with double-kills at Night as long as there are four of them.

There is 1 Cobbler.

There will be 3 gifteds: a seer, a ranger and a hunter.

The rest of the players will be just plain ordos with no other capabilities but their brains.

Roles and regulations on the roles.

The Wolves can PM together during the Nights, but not during Days. The wolves should send me the name of the one they intend to kill every Night an hour before the deadline. So long as there are four wolves alive, they get to kill two players every Night. If the number of innocents is reduced to equal the number of the wolves, the wolves win. The cobbler is counted as an innocent.

The Cobbler wishes for the wolves to win and will do whatever she thinks best to obtain that goal. The cobbler doesn’t know the identity of the wolves – and the wolves don’t know the identity of the cobbler. The cobbler can send one suggestion to the wolves every Night as whom to kill (via the mod). The cobbler wins if she is alive (is one of the remaining innocents) when the wolves claim victory. She is also granted bragging rights if she manages to give the victory to the wolves with a deliberate sacrifice.

The Seer can send me a name of one person every Night (including Night1) and I will send her the role of that person. All the roles are visible to the seer, so she will also learn the cobbler.

The Ranger can send me a name of one person every Night she would like to protect that Night. The ranger should PM that name to me at least an hour before the deadline. If the wolves attack a protected person there will be no kill that Night – and that will be revealed in the narration. The ranger can not protect herself or protect the same person two Nights in a row.

In this game the Hunter is an addition of Sauron so she will be what is sometimes called a “chaotic hunter”. That means that she will take one player with her whether lynched by Day or killed during the Night, regardless of the role of that person. The hunter should send me a name of the one she will hunt before the end of D1 – thereafter she has a right to change the name anytime she wishes. The hunter may change her target during Daytime to the last minute (if it looks like she is going to be lynched she can make a last minute change of target if so wishing), but if she wishes to change her target during the Night she should do that at least an hour before the deadline.

Miscellaneous rules.

- Everyone will have one retractable vote during the whole game. It is there mainly for the use when someone needs to vote very early but then against the expectations gets a chance to come online again before the deadline – and with the possible new information she may then retract her vote and vote again. But everyone is allowed to use the retrackie the way they wish: throw it away on your first post of the game, fool others and use it at the last second of the Day… whatever you like. Just remember that there is only one of them for you for the entire game.

- All the votes having a time-stamp of .00 (on the BD-post clock) will be counted. Any votes with the time .01 or more will not be counted. The votes should be bolded and posted on a separate row (with preferably an empty row both over and under it) for easier recognition. The form is the basic:

++ Nogrod

- As it looks like being a bit larger game there will be modfire. If someone doesn’t post and vote for two Days in a row that player is modfired regardless of her role. Other slackers you will have to deal with by your own means.

- No PM from me – or anyone else for that matter – is allowed to be used as evidence. In case you find an issue that is not explained in these rules and regulations you can ask about it in the thread or PM me (in case you don’t want to be known to be the person who asked, or if you want to ensure a speedier answer) – I will then clear the issue in the thread.

- No game-related discussions should go on outside the thread between players still living or between the living and those dead while the game is on. But as there will be no miraculous rebirths in this game, I find it futile to try and prohibit any communication between the already dead people.

- Fight as hard as you can but don’t be abrasive or dishonoring of other players. All tactics are allowed but hurting other peoples’ feelings is not (consequently: there's no need to get hurt personally when some others suspect you). The idea of the game is to have fun.

- Remember to turn invisible. I will be on visible mode so you can easily see whether I'm online or not if you have a quick question etc.

- For the convenience of other players and for easier reference, please bold all the names of your fellow-players in your posts.

- In a case of a tie the one who gets the last highest vote will be lynched (as she is the "last word" of yours).

GAME STARTS ON 1.1.11. AT 10PM GMT/UTC (5PM EST) WITH N1.

Last edited by Nogrod; 01-08-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Night 1, ca. 4500 Valian time

It is widely known that around year 4500 Valian time the Valar held council because of the grave news Yavanna and Oromë had brought them concerning the Middle-Earth. But one of the matters discussed there has remained secret to this day; that of the missing of a host of Maiar. They had just disappeared, one by one, never coming back from their missions.

“We don’t know where they have gone or how many of them have disappeared”, Yavanna said darkly.

“I’ve searched for them in vain from all over the Middle-Earth but there is no trace of them, anywhere.” Oromë added.

“It’s getting too dangerous for anyone to dwell there, thank’s to Melkor” Irmo sighed hearing the news.

“And think of the coming Eruhíni, the Children… what a terrible ordeal they’ll face.” Nienna sobbed quietly.

“A solution, anyone?” Manwë asked letting his eyes scan the hall.

“Let’s invade!” Tulkas bellowed and rose up from his bench.

“No one’s invading anything before we know of the Children. Eru will not be pleased if his children will be born into the midst of a battle.” Manwë cut in and waved his brother to sit down again.

“It is the destiny of theirs to be born into this age. Unknown are the paths of the Eru… But they shall cling on Varda.” Mandos said solemnly and turned towards Varda.

“I could gather light from the Trees and make ever brighter stars into the sky above” Varda suggested, “to guide the Children and to defy Melkor.”

“That indeed shall happen.” Manwë declared. “The next issue, the decoration of Taniquetil… ”

~*~

Meanwhile back in the jung… oops. *a wrong one*

Meanwhile the Middle-Earth lay in twilight; the sky was dark and the forests were quiet. Save the dark creatures old and strong that roamed the lands with the monsters and shapes of dread created by Melkor in his deep dungeons. And up in the north, Utumno laid in the darkness emerging as a massive black form, deeper dark than its surroundings. From there the balrogs went on their errands, twisting all life and bringing it to Him.

Their latest mission had been to catch all the Maiar they could find moving around the Middle-Earth. Sneakily avoiding the attention of Yavanna and Oromë they had
managed to catch a bunch of them bringing them back to Melkor in Utumno.

“A full twenty captured, like you ordered, Master.” Gothmog declared to his Master.

“Evil… and they’re all under the binding of the spell of hollow sleep?” Melkor checked.

“Yes Mylord, and in the deepest dungeon.”

“Then let us prepare the music… I need Sauron, get him to me!” Melkor said in excitement but just as he was turning away from Gothmog he suddenly halted. “While you’re at it, pick four Maia from ours, preferably some who are fair enough to look at to join the twenty. But do not spellbind them, for they shall not sleep.”

Gothmog bowed and went to his errand.

Melkor started concentrating on a few simple notes first, beginning to weave a web of unaudible sounds. After a while he felt new series of notes coming forwards and knew Sauron had accompanied him. And soon there were a host of evil spirits joining in the music. They sunk into the clusters of polyphony slowly but firmly… and behold, it took a form in sound and sneaked into the dreams of the spellbound Maiar.

It was dark.

The players:

Eomer of the Rohirrim - An associate of Ossë, speciality: lochs and ponds, great alliance with frogs
elronds_daughter - A spirit of no-nonsense
Macalaure - Carmótar, the Maia of housework
Shastanis Althreduin - A spirit of water
Loslote - A spirit of sunshine and rainbows
Kitanna - A spirit of all things unimaginative
wilwarin538 - Belongs to Vána, cares for all the small garden dwelling, winged creatures
Nessa Telrunya - The patron of town criers across the world
Pitchwife - Tender of Oromë's dogs
Satansaloser2005 - A spirit of ducks, muffins and cookies
Inziladun - A vassal of Námo, serving as a warden in Mandos
Rikae - A spirit in charge of silicon & static electricity
Boromir88 - A Maia of Mandos, the interpretter of dreams
A Little Green - A spirit in charge of aliens, hummingbirds and farming
Blind Guardian -A spirit of evil ways
Skip Spence - A follower of Aule with an avid interest in behavioural sciences
Mänwe - A spirit of short acquintances
Valier - A handmaiden of Yavanna, collecting the morning dew from the petals of flowers
Legate of Amon Lanc - A Maia associated with the unfathomed depths of the world's seas but also with the waters surrounding Arda in the outer space...
Thinlómien - A maia who lives in Lórien and paints the dreams of those sleeping there
Aganzir - Aka. Firebeck, a spirit of fire
Ozban - Yavanna's underling with inferiority complex. Caretaker of undergrowth and small bushes in general, especially blackberries
Caílin - A spirit of secrecy
Kath - A spirit of nostalgy

NIGHT1 has begun. The treacherous Maiar can start talking. Seer send me your pick. You others, enjoy the music for the next 36 hours.

D1 will start on 3.1. at 10AM GMT.

PS. The music is there for the mood. So enjoy the deepest dungeon of Utumno!

Last edited by Nogrod; 01-03-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:00 AM   #4
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Day 1, 4520 Valian time

As the music faded the Maiar awoke in the deep darkness of their dungeon. At first most of them thought they were being dumped alone into that sorrowful night, but little by little they started sensing others around them in the darkness. Just as a few of the bravest ones were trying to make contact to others a new music started to emerge; eerily disturbing, intense, horrifying… And then there was the glimmer of light up above them accompanied by the deep voice of Melkor himself.

“Welcome to Utumno you lower spirits. Ever heard music like that?” That seemed to be a rhetorical question as he followed suite.

“You are all probably well versed with the story of the Ainulindalë? But you don’t know what really happened, or what was my actual part in there... Or has someone of you been told about that?” That for sure was yet another rhetorical question.

“Of course not… Iluvatar is so in love with himself and his precious “all-mighty game” that he doesn’t want to tell you how my powers rival his. He is afraid of telling you the truth!” Melkor made an artsy pause, letting the meaning of his words hammer in.

“And here's the secret: not all in the creation is the making of his… Actually I even turned his faithful pet-smith Aulë to work for my ends disobeying him, “the Mighty”. Hah, that petty thing... But the most splendid seed that I planted in the original Music has now started to bear fruit. Do you know what Aulë did? He created living beings with a soul like you – but they are MORTAL!” Melkor bellowed the last words so loud that the Maiar were screaming with pain, holding on to their ears.

“You know what mortality means? It means dying, it means wholly ceasing to exist, it means not being anymore, it means being reduced to nothingness… and the Middle-Earth will be filled with mortal souls in the future; millions of souls dying, disappearing into the void of non-being… and that is MY CREATION!”

The Maiar were shocked. That was unheard of, unbelievable, and more or less impossible to even get to grips with as an idea. Melkor was the great trickster, but they couldn’t disprove his words either.

“So the music you heard while you slept, you now ask? What has all this to do with you?” There was another rhetorical pause. The horror of what this all would mean was making the Maiar tremble. After a longer pause Melkor finally made the announcement.

“You are mortals now… you proud Maiar have been reduced to mortal beings! You will not live forever, but only the time you manage to stay alive. And that time will be up to you. If you survive this dungeon of mine you will live, for a century, a millennia or two, well whatever time you’d live… but in the end you will die and your souls will be sent into oblivion, into a limbo of nothingness.”

Some of the Maiar were already falling into despair while others showed a brave or even defiant face – but four of them grinned maliciously admiring their master’s artful execution of the intro.

“But you may die fast and furiously much sooner… And here’s the deal for you. There are four of my servants with you and they will kill some of you during the periods I put a spell of sleep on you. During the times you are awake, you should then decide who the perpetrators are and try to get rid of them… If you manage to spot all my servants, those still living may go free to live your limited lives as you see fit. But if you do not succeed, the death will meet you here in my dungeon and you’ll never see the light of Valinor anymore, or the twilight of the Middle-Earth – or any other light. You will see nothing as you will not be anymore.”

Melkor disappeared with a flash which blinded everyone for a moment.

~*~

As the effect of the sudden burst of light waned and the Maiar’s eyes got used to the darkness again they realized that it was not pitch dark anymore. There was a shallow yellowish-greenish light everywhere around them. In the dim lighting they were for the first time able to see each other. Seeing many familiar faces around was a great joy… and a deep sorrow at the same time. For a moment they just stared at each other as their feelings went on with their own inner rollercoaster-ride.

Suddenly a cry broke the silence.

“Hey, everyone! Look at this! There is writing on the wall!” Valier yelled.

“I’m here to help you out! – I’ll dream the traitors out!” , the Blind Guardian spelled the text from the wall.

“So not all hope is lost! – I will protect you!” Skip read aloud the handwriting that was written under the first one.

“”Like it or not, but I’m not going down alone…”, now what does this mean?” Lottie wondered after reading the third writing.

“What about this: “Go Melkor!”?” Lommy shook her head discovering a fourth one from the next wall.

The Maiar, alive:

Eomer of the Rohirrim - An associate of Ossë, speciality: lochs and ponds, great alliance with frogs
elronds_daughter - A spirit of no-nonsense
Macalaure - Carmótar, the Maia of housework
Shastanis Althreduin - A spirit of water
Loslote - A spirit of sunshine and rainbows
Kitanna - A spirit of all things unimaginative
wilwarin538 - Belongs to Vána, cares for all the small garden dwelling, winged creatures
Nessa Telrunya - The patron of town criers across the world
Pitchwife - Tender of Oromë's dogs
Satansaloser2005 - A spirit of ducks, muffins and cookies
Inziladun - A vassal of Námo, serving as a warden in Mandos
Rikae - A spirit in charge of silicon & static electricity
Boromir88 - A Maia of Mandos, the interpretter of dreams
A Little Green - A spirit in charge of aliens, hummingbirds and farming
Blind Guardian - A spirit of evil ways
Skip Spence - A follower of Aule with an avid interest in behavioural sciences
Mänwe - A spirit of short acquintances
Valier - A handmaiden of Yavanna, collecting the morning dew from the petals of flowers
Legate of Amon Lanc - A Maia associated with the unfathomed depths of the world's seas but also with the waters surrounding Arda in the outer space...
Thinlómien - A maia who lives in Lórien and paints the dreams of those sleeping there
Aganzir - Aka. Firebeck, a spirit of fire
Ozban - Yavanna's underling with inferiority complex. Caretaker of undergrowth and small bushes in general, especially blackberries
Caílin - A spirit of secrecy
Kath - A spirit of nostalgy

DAY 1 has started.

D1 will last for 36 hours and will end on 4.1. at 10PM GMT/UTC (5PM EST).

Last edited by Nogrod; 01-03-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:39 AM   #5
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

2,5h since the DL and I'm the first...?

But yay. This is my first ever first post on a ww thread. Celebration!

Err, not much substance to say. Mostly the obvious thing: we should get a wolf down asap since as long as they are all alive they get two kills per night which is plain disgusting.

Which means, no slacking on Day1. (No random votes, no kathing, no nerwening. )

I'll be back later but now I'm off to have breakfast (at 2.30 pm. )
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:12 AM   #6
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
What did he say? Mortal? That is ridiculous! That is absurd! Nothing like that can exist... actually, it is us that should not exist, we should be eternal, not merely existing for a measurable amount of time... but looks like we are existing now! If he had said the truth! That is ridiculous! That is absurd! I mean, imagine, even what I have just said, the truth - the truth is eternal, what he had said is therefore eternal, the truth about us is eternal, but we are not? How can that make any sense? Oh unfathomable depths of the ocean, where unseen forms of many creatures appear, will I ever see you again? Ai, ai, iä, iä, oh Outer Seas in the quiet darkness of Eä, shall I ever lay my eyes upon you? My dearest companions of old, my elder friends of the deep and dark waters, shall I ever return to you... and even if so, what fate awaits me? How much I now recall thine words: "That is not dead which can eternal lie..." But they are no comfort of me now anymore! In the strange aeons of Time, even we might die!

But is there anything more that we can do than to do what now Melkor had told us about, to look for his servants among us? We die regardless, yet I cling to life! If for but one more day.

[/in-character]
That said, I do not know how much active I shall be this Day. I will definitely post at least once something of substance before I vote, but between being busy with other RL things, including a several-hour long journey on a plane, I cannot promise any high activity. However, from next Day on, if I am still alive by then, my schedule should be completely normal and I should be posting normally.

Until then... I don't have anything special to say, other than I would like to encourage everybody to start in their second or at most third post posting already game-relevant stuff, if they don't do it earlier (I think most people will like to have at least one post for some in-character or random banter stuff, but let's not prolongate it too much).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:16 AM   #7
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
So this is what Melkor's disharmonious braying in the Music was all about - Mortality? The waning of life, unavoidable death? Now this is a grave matter, if you'll forgive the pun, and all the more so if he has indeed contrived to inflict this doom upon us, changing our nature in despite of the One who made us and him.

Yet I feel this only proves once more that Melkor can only ape and distort what already is, not create anew. For do not the kelvar and olvar die even in the Spring of Arda and return to earth and mould so that new life can come into being? And how can it be otherwise, since only the One himself can create ex nihilo! So if there is anything new in this design of Melkor's, it can only be the introduction of mortality to sentient creatures.

But not even that is true, as I know full well from observing the Lord Oromë's hounds (which, as you know, it is my privilege to tend when they're not hunting with him). Only a fool could deny that they are aware of themselves and feel and even dream, yet mortal though they are, they do not fear death, being content to live in the present.

So my advice is, let us follow our example and not be unmanned by the change that has allegedly been wrought upon us, but concentrate on the matter at hand and find the servants of the Marrer in our middle, so that we may escape from this dungeon.

(As for those threats of sending our souls to the void of nothingness, it is my firm conviction that Melkor is deluding himself in this, and the One will not let Himself be deprived of His own as easily as he thinks. But the truth about this only time will tell.)
Old 01-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #8
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I'll be back later but now I'm off to have breakfast (at 2.30 pm. )
She woke up so late because she was so busy plotting last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
from next Day on, if I am still alive by then
I doubt you are.

It's more than likely that the wolves and the cobbler try to identify each other as soon as possible, so we should watch out for people who look like they know too much (even if they can't really do that till tomorrow). Of course the wolves & the cobbler have information we don't, but it's still possible they get overly confident and slip something.

And as Lommy said the sooner we get a wolf, the better. If the seer dreams of one at an early stage (ie before we've lynched any), she should probably consider if it's worth coming out and getting rid of the double kills.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:47 AM   #9
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Legate, my friend, you've clearly spent too much time in the cold reigns of abstract reasoning and too little with living creatures. Their company offers such pleasure and comfort, and lessons of wisdom too, as I've already said.

Nevertheless, I fully concur with these words of yours:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
I would like to encourage everybody to start in their second or at most third post posting already game-relevant stuff, if they don't do it earlier (I think most people will like to have at least one post for some in-character or random banter stuff, but let's not prolongate it too much).
Never fear, I fully intend to shine the lamp of reason on my fellow prisoners and seek to discriminate fair from foul. But this can only be done if everybody speaks up. As our first Day here has been preternaturally prolonged, we've got lots of time for discussion - let's not waste it with moping about the uselessness of Day One!

Also this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
Mostly the obvious thing: we should get a wolf down asap since as long as they are all alive they get two kills per night which is plain disgusting.

Which means, no slacking on Day1. (No random votes, no kathing, no nerwening. )
To which I'd like to add, No BlindGuardianing either, please. She's been the default D1 lynch in her last two games, I'd be very wroth to see that repeated without very good reasons.

In other news, I've just discovered that this newly mortal body has unexpected needs, to which I have to attend for a while. Back in a few hours, hopefully to a lively discussion!
Old 01-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #10
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
Good morning, everyone.

All are so quiet... I suppose we all need some time to come to terms with this new concept of "mortality". I believe the saddest part of all is that we are now forced to strike the first blow ourselves and lynch the evil in our midst: from mortals to murderers in one Day. It cannot be helped, however. And since Melkor did select many to become part of this wicked experiment (surely he did not need all of us, really)... well, let's just say, if you have to die, why not toDay?

Of course I'd rather not die. Not before I discover some of your secrets, anyway.

My participation toDay will be limited I'm afraid. I have a long journey ahead of me (by the very modern and secretive means of an airplane) and will even travel into the future (we of great powers can do this). I will be back to cast my vote within mere hours. In the meantime, I suggest all the evil beings should reveal themselves and repent before it is too late.
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:48 AM   #11
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Some new faces, some returning faces, some long time faces, this will be a game to remember. If anyone has a dream (either dark or light, makes no difference to me) that needs interpretting, speak up. Dreams can reveal some of the darkest secrets and inner-most secrets.

I find the counsel of what we should be doing today interesting. If it was suggested by evil or not I can't tell, but right away we have "let's not do this or that." The problem is, we know the "this or that" we should not do, is going to happen, as that is the way these days typically play out.

The sooner we get a wolf the better, but this is a rather obvious statement. The wolves will likely want to keep their 2-kill advantage as long as possible, with how large a number we have. So, I doubt the wolves will be looking to sacrifice their first one, as some wolf packs are prone to do. However, once we nab the first one, they will likely revert to more aggressive behavior of sacrificing one of their own if it serves the pack's greater good. Something to keep in mind, the wolves may be shy in the first few days, banking on the size of the village and wanting to keep the 2-kills per night to steer the lynches.

The longer day is definitely going to help, as I'm still unsure of how active I can be when we go to the 24-hour days. Today, call it random voting or what have you, but my vote will go towards the ones who make absolutely no impression, or have nice poker faces.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #12
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the modly one
There 24 players.

There are 4 wolves - with double-kills at Night as long as there are four of them.

There is 1 Cobbler.

There will be 3 gifteds: a seer, a ranger and a hunter.

The rest of the players will be just plain ordos with no other capabilities but their brains.

That's okay. I can kill you with my brain.

I'll try to be on later this afternoon, but expect me in short bursts, rather than long drawn-out posts. Somehow I don't think anyone will mind that.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #13
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
But...but...but I don't wannit!

^ Yeah that's the extent of Early Day 1 IC posting for me. I'll be popping in and out for the next...nine or so hours, and then I'll be around more.

On to more game-related stuff - knee jerk reaction to the posts so far gives me a good feeling about Boro and Pitchie and a not-quite-as-good feeling about Sally. The other people I didn't get much of an impression from. (Normal disclaimer follows; I do not claim that this is exactly right; I do not want everyone voting Sally in a bandwagon of Shastanic porportions the moment I leave; I hold no responsibility if this happens. )
Old 01-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #14
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
He wakes and sits up groggily, shaking long hair the deep green of a kelp bed out of his eyes, cerulean skin sallow and green in this sickly yellow half-light, eyes of gray pain-filled, a protective scar circling his throat.

-----------

And that's the obligatory in-character intro from me. Thought I'd post it.

Off to re-read what's been said so far now, although I will mention I adore Lottie's new adjective. Can that go in the glossary?
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #15
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailín View Post
In the meantime, I suggest all the evil beings should reveal themselves and repent before it is too late.
Great idea! Only not very likely to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agan
It's more than likely that the wolves and the cobbler try to identify each other as soon as possible, so we should watch out for people who look like they know too much (even if they can't really do that till tomorrow). Of course the wolves & the cobbler have information we don't, but it's still possible they get overly confident and slip something.
Well, the wolves obviously know more than we do, but the cobbler not so much, as of now - so xe will indeed probably want to make xyrself known to the pack in time.
On the other hand, I see our Mod has seen fit to grant the cobbler a means to send secret messages to the wolves, so I don't know how much 'open' hinting we're going to see on the thread. Still worth keeping an eye open, to be sure.

Quote:
And as Lommy said the sooner we get a wolf, the better. If the seer dreams of one at an early stage (ie before we've lynched any), she should probably consider if it's worth coming out and getting rid of the double kills.
Yep, the double Night-Kill sucks for us, and getting rid of it is imperative. I'm not sure if I'd like to risk the Seer for it - as long as the Ranger is still alive, maybe it's worth it. But it's not like an open Seer reveal is the only way to catch a wolf, so we should all do our best and not rely on the Seer to risk their neck for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
The wolves will likely want to keep their 2-kill advantage as long as possible, with how large a number we have. So, I doubt the wolves will be looking to sacrifice their first one, as some wolf packs are prone to do.
True, although it's probably easier for them to blend in among a larger crowd. The question is, what conclusions should we draw from this once we manage to lynch our first wolf? Like, should we automatically rule out wolf-on-wolf votes? I don't think so - even if the wolves won't sacrifice one of them frivolously, they still may be forced to do so willy-nilly, e.g. if two of them are in danger at the same time.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #16
Ozban
Haunting Spirit

Ozban has just left Hobbiton.
Being back once more,
I find myself again
in some loathsome dungeon,
and even worse this time.

What did I do to deserve this!?

I enlisted myself.

Melkor, as little as I may be, I shall state something you despicable jailor shall probably never understand. The death never was of your doing! Yavanna Kementári sooner saw that chord in the music, and we all have seen olvar she brought upon Eä. Withering and growing time and again. If that is to be the melody leading life of children of Aule, so be it. For after every wilting, plants grow stronger and more beautiful. Every generation shall surpass the previous. And with our deaths we lay out the path for those, that shall overthrow you one day. After that you might just see that the true damnation lies in immortality.

[/in-character]

After saying what I had... I hate Day1s. There is not a thing.
I shall refrain from stating the obvious...

later...

P.S.: right now I'd vote Agan, no reason, she just deserves it most.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #17
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Happy New Vailan Year to all of you!

Now mortality, that's something new and frightening. But even if the wicked Melkor was behind this as he claims, is he not also a mind-seed of the almighty and all-good Illuvatar, as we are also? And could not Melkor's deeds, evil though they may seem, be used as an instrument for the greater good by the One?

For the mortal beings must now fear the extermination of their being in Arda and that, my breathren, may be a gift for us shepherds of new life. For isn't the fear of seizing to exist among the coming mortal inhabitants of Arda a wonderful incitement for them to do what is right, to keep the peace, to acknowledge authority, to stay obedient to the One and his lieutenants? And isn't this "death" therefore a wonderful instrument for us shepherds to help and control the new mortal inhabitants? I think so.

But that this fate should be shared by us here who are of the Ainur, Arda's prime guardians and creators, we who were here before the physical world itself, is truly a horrific and blasphemous crime by Melkor the abhorred! Curse him until the end should it be true!

- - -

So, it's Day one and there will be little to go on as usual. I think Boro's got a point about the wolves trying to stay moderately quiet early on and my initial thought is to vote for one of the quiet players toDay. Then again, if that idea becomes commonly accepted, the wolves can easily escape by making some noice. Hm.

I do feel that we should have a mind to spread out the votes toDay though (unless there's an obvious reason not to). Last game I played, where Shasta-seer was lynched with a Day 1 bandwagon, was an experience I'd rather not have repeated. More can be learned if the voting is reasonably close, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
On the other hand, I see our Mod has seen fit to grant the cobbler a means to send secret messages to the wolves, so I don't know how much 'open' hinting we're going to see on the thread. Still worth keeping an eye open, to be sure.
It sure is. The added ability to send a message to the wolves will probably make the cobbler increasingly dangerous as the game progresses since it could make it easier for the wolves and the cobbler to identify each other by methods of elimination.

I should be in touch now for the next hours. My participation tomorrow will probably be more limited.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:43 PM   #18
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
I feel kind of horrid having to vote for someone with nothing to go on. Most people have not even had a chance to speak.

As always, I like everything Boromir88 says, but he has fooled me before (and again, and again).

Pitchwife seems to have a response for everyone. This is polite behaviour and for now I approve.

I also feel obliged to say something about Eomer of the Rohirrim even though he has not posted yet. Will be watching him closely and warily, I assure you.

No one has said anything controversial or unexpected. How dull.

My vote goes to

(where is the plus sign on this bewildering keyboard?)

++ Aganzir

Because I know she can take it and I owe her one anyway.

If I am killed in my absence, please avenge my death.

Got to fly!
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #19
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Skip and Pitch make me nervous. I'm not yet sure why.

When is deadline for toDay? In an hour or so?
Old 01-03-2011, 02:16 PM   #20
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Skip and Pitch make me nervous. I'm not yet sure why.

When is deadline for toDay? In an hour or so?
I thought Day 1 was 36 hours long, which would put DL in 13 hours.

Also, Cailín's vote isn't all that great, but it doesn't look particularly wolfy to me. I don't really see a wolf voting that way. I've never played with her, though, so I don't know what a Wolín looks like.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #21
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

A pox on that double post. Anyway, thanks, Pop. In that case, I'll wait to do stuff until this evening. If I don't vote, blame Lottie.

*shuffles away*

Last edited by satansaloser2005; 01-03-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #22
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Actually, toDay startet at 10AM GMT, didn't it, so with a 36 hours Day, DL should be at 10PM GMT tomorrow evening, if I can count right. So we've got plenty of time left.
And yet there's already a vote! To me, that looks like Cailín maybe wasn't quite sure about the DL either and wanted to get a vote in just in case she couldn't come back later - so not dreadfully wolvish. (Plus, I agree that it can't harm to lynch Agan just to be on the safe side!)

I don't quite know what to make of Ozzy. I surely agree with his philosophy, but apart from that, his first post was a little, hm, lazy. OK, there's little else to do beyond stating the obvious early on Day One, but if everybody just shuts up we'll never get to discussing non-obvious things, so that's not really helping.

skip's philosophy I strongly disagree with (what, mortality is OK for the sheep but it's blasphemy to inflict it on the shepherds? Arrogance!), but he sounds reasonable enough and has a point about spreading the votes - which is very probably going to happen anyway in a village as large and diverse as hours. (Don't remind me of that Shastawagon!*shudder*)
Old 01-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #23
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Pitchwife is making me uneasy.

Last edited by Rikae; 01-03-2011 at 03:19 PM. Reason: bold name
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #24
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Melkor, thou art not the King of Arda, and this is not thy realm. Manwë (the Vala, not the player ), shall not forsake us, and under the dominion of the One, those faithful to him shall yet triumph.

In other news, as soon as I have a moment to actually look at what people have said, I'll be back with more.

x/d with Rikae
Old 01-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #25
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
woah!!! Ok so the start time was not what I was expecting...D1 started at 4am for me. I thought that it would be starting today at 4pm my time (CST) so does this day end at 4am tonight (CST) my time? And does it continue with day starts and ends at 4am? (my time CST) Because that would definately suck!! Ok well I've had a quick skim over the posts and should be in and out today...

So far...hmm noone really stands out to me..Boro seems a little too reasonable maybe?... also I noticed this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir
I noticed you said she..... any reasons?
Old 01-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #26
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valier View Post
woah!!! Ok so the start time was not what I was expecting...D1 started at 4am for me. I thought that it would be starting today at 4pm my time (CST) so does this day end at 4am tonight (CST) my time? And does it continue with day starts and ends at 4am? (my time CST) Because that would definately suck!! Ok well I've had a quick skim over the posts and should be in and out today...
No, it should end at 4pm your time, I think.

Quote:
also I noticed this I noticed you said she..... any reasons?
Agan calls certain roles 'she' habitually - the one that comes to mind is the cobbler. I haven't noticed her calling the seer 'she' before, but it seems like an Aganish sort of thing to do.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #27
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
Care to explain? (Sally too, who seems to be sharing your feelings.)
Old 01-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #28
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nessa Telrunya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Nessa Telrunya
The time is now... Whatever time it currently is!

Whew, there's a nice little intro. And hopefully, as town crier, I can shed light on the situation in the same manner as my brother tradesmen. Day1 is always confusing, so I suppose I'll do some statistics.

We have 19 villagers now,a cobbler, and four wolves. That means our percentage of catching a wolf is about 16%, and their percentage of a gifted toNight would be about 12, with a 4% chance of also catching their own cobbler.

So now we are at 19-5, if we count the cobbler with the wolves. If we kill a villager, it is 18-5, and 19-4 if we kill the cobbler or a wolf. But if we kill a wolf, after toNight's kills we'll be at 18-4 toMorrow, instead of 17-4. If we kill a villager, we'll be at 16-5 toMorrow. No good there.

Whew, I love math.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #29
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

It seems this mortal body gets tired and needs to sleep. See you all later!
Old 01-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #30
Ozban
Haunting Spirit

Ozban has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessa Telrunya View Post
We have 19 villagers now,a cobbler, and four wolves. That means our percentage of catching a wolf is about 16%, and their percentage of a gifted toNight would be about 12, with a 4% chance of also catching their own cobbler.

I concur with calculations of our chances of lynching a wolf + there's about 4% of getting a cobb.
But Wolves kill 2 of 20. (this presumes worst case scenario) There are 3 gifted in that number = 15% of "non-wolves".
Therefore I belive, that Furries have twice 15% chance of hitting a gifted. With twice 5% chance of wasting a cobbler. This is only approximate calcul, making precise ones would be way past my abilities. I always sucked at math, but the way my calculations go, we are way more screwed, than according to yours, Nessa.

Hey, I actually invented a way to lessen wolves chance of murdering one of gifteds, we can lynch one of them ourselves! Has anyone seen Shasta?

Ok, quite insane, better go to sleep.

See you later.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #31
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
Who are you and what have you done with our beloved over-verbose Rikae?

X'd since the post I quoted, as I've not refreshed in....quite a while, actually
Old 01-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #32
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I spent an hour on a post where I went through all the posts thus far! And I mis- typed and it's all gone. There are no words for how I feel that I can use on a family site.

So to sum up what I spent my life typing...

Rikae and Sally need to state their reasons against Pitch (and Skip in Sally's case) They made no promise to return or even explain it as a knee jerk reaction like Lottie did. A flimsy reason would do this early in game. "I suspect Kit because she drinks ginger ale." Rikae's said nothing else, but Sally has. I don't like the fact Sally has popped in a few times, but not actually said anything or promised anything for when RL allows her to contribute. I can't cast too much suspicion on her, but I'm watching her.

Pitch talks a lot in regards to suggestions made by others. Yet he has yet to really provide his own feedback. That's a little unsettling. [/serious]

So this game, based on what I've read so far, one or all of the following will happen:
-Eomer, Agan, Shasta, Pitch, Boro, Wilwa, Sally, or myself will be accused, possibly killed, based on meta game or personal vendettas
-A joke will become evidence, death follows
-One wolf will lead the bandwagon against an innocent, one will lynch a fellow wolf, or one may possibly dance on town corpses
-I will drink heavily and cry
[/shenanigans and joke]
Old 01-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #33
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I thought I wrote the beginning and th ending times of D1 into like ten places + added the reminder that D1 lasts 36 hours like as many times...

Well it seems you can never give out too much info...

So this Day1 lasts for 36 hours.

It began on 10AM GMT/UTC (5AM EST)

and will end on 10PM GMT/UTC (5PM EST) tomorrow.

So you have 22 hours left of the Day.

22 hours and fifteen minutes left to be more exact.

ADD: Valier & Lottie: there seems to be also a "one hour" miss in your calculations (or then I have given you faulty information). But that is easily checked. Look at my post that starts this ongoing D1 (post #4) and see the time stamp on the top left corner. The hour that post was sent is the deadline hour. The only change is that as the D1 is exceptionally 36 hours long, the deadline for D1 is not that X AM as it reads in your screen but the same X PM tomorrow. Like I said above; about 22 hours from now.

Last edited by Nogrod; 01-03-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #34
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
For such a large village it's eerily quiet, isn't it?

Backtracking a bit since there's precious little new.
Quote:
Quote:
Yep, the double Night-Kill sucks for us, and getting rid of it is imperative. I'm not sure if I'd like to risk the Seer for it - as long as the Ranger is still alive, maybe it's worth it. But it's not like an open Seer reveal is the only way to catch a wolf, so we should all do our best and not rely on the Seer to risk their neck for us.
I'd agree with Pitch here. The Seer is our strongest piece, our Queen, and should not be sacrificed lightly. It's up to the Seer to decide what to do if he/she catches a wolf or already has done so, but if it were me, I'd wait with the open reveal unless I faced the gallows. The Seer must however be very careful to not leave any false trails should he/she happen to get killed. If we lose the Seer and the trail points to an innocent, we're in big trouble.

Need to sleep soon. I probably won't return until close to the DL.

Last edited by skip spence; 01-03-2011 at 05:52 PM. Reason: x-ed with Kitanna and Modgrod
skip spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #35
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
My, my, my, what a mess here. Cobblers and wolves and chaotic hunters, people wanting to kill with their brain, people doing math (do not tempt me!)... If you think that I'm going to clean this all up you're mighty wrong. Mighty wrong!

*glares*

Alright, I'll do it.

Let's put all the absent ones in a box and put it in a corner. Ozban goes into the safe, since I haven't played with him yet. The feel-good ones (Boro, Skip, Legate, Lommy, Sally) go into the drawer over there. The ones who haven't said much of consequence yet (Shasta, Lottie, Nessa, Inzil, Valier) go on that (rather big) shelf over the drawer.

Is anybody going to help me with this?

*sigh*

The suspicious ones go in the oven to roast:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir
It's more than likely that the wolves and the cobbler try to identify each other as soon as possible
Radar make *bling* (remembrance of a game of old)

Pitch's "on the one hand - one the other hand - I don't know" reply to this doesn't look good either, if you ask me. Compare it to skip's straightforward logic.

Finally, Cailín and Rikae get the nice place on the mantelpiece for putting their suspicion and vote in the right place. The safe with Ozban goes on the mantelpiece, too.

edit: Kitanna gets a place on the mantelpiece, too, for putting tons of good points into a concise post. There's not enough of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip
The Seer must however be very careful to not leave any false trails should he/she happen to get killed.
This makes the seer extremely identifyable by the wolves.

*puts skip in the oven and turns up the heat*

Last edited by Macalaure; 01-03-2011 at 06:58 PM. Reason: typo
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #36
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

Quote:
This makes the seer extremely identifyable by the wolves.

*puts skip in the oven and turns up the heat*
Haha, thank you for that.

I disagree with you that a measure of carefulness would reveal the Seer in such a large village (or even in a small). And I'm not saying the Seer shouldn't suspect someone at all unless he/she is sure, only that the Seer at this point shouldn't strongly accuse one specific person in the instance he or she happens to get killed because that is very risky. When Shasta was the Seer in that already mentioned game, we foolishly killed him, and then proceeded to almost unanimously lynch an innocent the following Day - I believe it was Pitch) - because Shasta seemed to come after him strongly and we though he was a dreamed of wolf. It was horrible.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:35 PM   #37
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Care to explain? (Sally too, who seems to be sharing your feelings.)
Nope, not at the moment. And no, I'm afraid I never could explain Sally.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:39 PM   #38
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Ah! I actually thought I'd missed Day 1 there. I mean I am spirit of nostalgia I know but I have been trying not to do that!

Now, what is deadline? 10 pm tomorrow?

We have retractables so I will vote just in case that's totally wrong, but I sincerely intend to return and vote based on more information assuming I'm right.

Oh! Ignore that, I've just got to the bottom of Nog's post which confirms that deadline IS 10 pm tomorrow. This is now just a random stream of consciousness. Oh well.

Lommy - I would take offence at my inability to play Day 1 being made into a verb, but as I thought I'd done it again I can't.

For once I'm with Legate. Banter is fun but some substance is good too. A mix within posts then would be the solution! If I was someone who had any skills with this in role business.

Wow Agan starts Seer talk in post number 8! Get you with your attention seeking. Fair point though. If we're getting to the stage where the wolves are cutting the innocent numbers by such a degree it probably would be necessary.

I love Pitch. 'Don't lynch Blind Guardian for silly default reasons'. Followed by 'Hmm I don't like Ozban's lazy way of stating the obvious.' (Oddly in text that comes across as really ... mean. It's not meant that way.)

To answer Valier: Agan said 'she' when referring to the Seer because Nog-God has explained all his special roles using 'she'.

So there you have the thoughts that have sprung up on my readthrough. Beats me what's going on right now and so I am off to bed. I imagine there will be 17 new pages to read by tomorrow.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #39
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Who are you and what have you done with our beloved over-verbose Rikae?
Something like this:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I can't make it out... must be some kind of code or something. If only I had the time, but alas, that's just what we don't have, isn't it? A few millennia just isn't enough.

And Mackie-Pie, I haven't voted yet. And could you take these glasses into the kitchen for me? While you're there, check whether those pastries - er, players - in the oven are done...
Old 01-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #40
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
To which I'd like to add, No BlindGuardianing either, please. She's been the default D1 lynch in her last two games, I'd be very wroth to see that repeated without very good reasons.
So if she turns out to be a wolf, I know who to look at.

Quote:
xe will indeed probably want to make xyrself known to the pack in time.
I would poke some fun at one Bill Ferny here (not you wilwa) but I don't want to give anyone ideas.

Quote:
You can blame me for that because it was originally my suggestion. I semi-regret it now, just like I regret opposing Lommy who said the ranger should get two saves as long as the wolves get two kills (this took place somewhere else than the admin thread).
However I'm pretty sure we are going to see hinting. I've done it before and the village didn't pay any attention to me, and at least I intend not to be so careless. It's an entirely different matter how easy it is to spot, but however careful they are, in the long run we should be able to see connections.

Quote:
But it's not like an open Seer reveal is the only way to catch a wolf, so we should all do our best and not rely on the Seer to risk their neck for us.
I know and I'm not asking the seer to reveal early just for the general good (because no one wants to sacrifice herself just like that)... But hypothetically if we lynch an innocent each day and the wolves kill two a night, it's going to be 5-10 (I count the cobbler as a wolf because the risk is high they manage to identify each other and can therefore vote more or less together) at the beginning of day 4. That isn't too bad yet, but the seer can't really afford to die without leaving hints (which is risky too because it will lead the wolves to her quicker, etc etc).

Quote:
The question is, what conclusions should we draw from this once we manage to lynch our first wolf?
I think normal wolf behaviour rules also apply to them this time. Yeah they have more to lose by lynching one of their own, but they might still do it. So I don't think we can draw any conclusions whatsoever, and least of all that we should draw conclusions from it.

Ozban but day 1s are fun! And if you dare to vote for me I'm going to burn all your blackberries once I get out of here!

I have nothing against voting for a quiet player today if I don't have a better idea, just because I dislike both quiet wolves, gifteds and ordos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailín
Because I know she can take it and I owe her one anyway.
Actually no, we were even before you did that... You lynched me in Dueling Wizards 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottie
so I don't know what a Wolín looks like.
Even scarier than Cardo.

I like Rikae. Not that it makes her innocent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val
I noticed you said she..... any reasons?
Yes. I dreamed of her and found out she's the seer.
Anyway for me everyone is a she until proven otherwise.

I don't know what to make of Nessa's maths... On the one hand it makes me slightly uneasy (you'd think a baddie had more of a reason to know where exactly she stands), on the other it's good to know how many innocents we can afford to lynch without being in serious trouble (one of my favourite wolf strategies is to give the villagers a false sense of security by being strongly yet discreetly of the opinion we can check out yet another quiet/enigmatic person, and another, and another, until it's too late).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozban
Hey, I actually invented a way to lessen wolves chance of murdering one of gifteds, we can lynch one of them ourselves!
I don't think I like this plan. :P

I also like Kitanna, which doesn't mean that she's innocent though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
Radar make *bling* (remembrance of a game of old)
Hey what's suspicious about that? They have the means to do it, and the only thing we can do about it is to try to make it as difficult for them as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
Cailín and Rikae get the nice place on the mantelpiece for putting their suspicion and vote in the right place.
I would've thought this was sarcasm, but then he also puts Kitanna on the mantelpiece. What's up Mac?

Last edited by Aganzir; 01-03-2011 at 07:01 PM. Reason: xed with Kath & Rikae
Aganzir is offline   Reply With Quote