The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-01-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
Erendis
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Imloth Melui,with Yoreth's sister...Just finished the Panadol stock.
Erendis has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Erendis Send a message via Skype™ to Erendis
Silmaril The daughters of Fingwe

While making a research for my new facebook quiz,I found a reference to Findis and Imwe,the two daughters of Fingwe and Indis.Does anyone know in which book they are mentionned?Neither "the Silmarillion" nor "Unfinished Tales"include them to the geneological trees of the House of Fingwe.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erendis View Post
While making a research for my new facebook quiz,I found a reference to Findis and Imwe,the two daughters of Fingwe and Indis.Does anyone know in which book they are mentionned?Neither "the Silmarillion" nor "Unfinished Tales"include them to the geneological trees of the House of Fingwe.
This is information from The Peoples of Middle-earth, the final volume of the History of Middle-earth series, particularly the chapter Christopher Tolkien titled "The Shibboleth of Fëanor." This discussion, which centres around Tolkien's attempts to reconcile the old, established, forms of the Elven names with the later course taken by his shifting development of the Elven tongues, involves one of his last words on the family tree of Finwë.

Whether or not Findis and Írimë are canonical is a whole mess of issues. When Christopher Tolkien was assembling The Silmarillion, he mostly drew from the mostly completed Quenta Silmarillion of the late 1930s, and from the more complete materials of the 1950s. "The Shibboleth of Fëanor," quite apart from not being a story, per say, is only utilised in the published Silmarillion insofar as Christopher Tolkien used it as a guide to the latest (I dare not say "final") preferences of his father in terms of names for the royal Noldor. Together with other later texts in the last few History of Middle-earth books, "The Shibboleth of Fëanor" was not published in Unfinished Tales because at the time that collection was published, Christopher Tolkien was not aiming at publishing as complete a corpus of Middle-earth as possible, but as many tales (preferably on the completer side) as possible.

Ummm... I think that should answer the textual end of the question, anyway.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
Erendis
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Imloth Melui,with Yoreth's sister...Just finished the Panadol stock.
Erendis has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Erendis Send a message via Skype™ to Erendis
Thumbs up

Wow,I couldn't even dream of a better answer!

Unfortunately," The History of Middle-Earth"is not translated in greek yet and,as usual,the original book is too rare to be found.There is only one "summary" in greek,there is no way to compare it with the complete edition,though.

Anyway,thank you very much Formendacil!!!!