The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2002, 02:56 PM   #1
WarBringer
Wight

WarBringer has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Weapon of Choice

Many weapons exist on middle earth...Which is most effective?The magical staff, the masterful sword, the crude scimitar, or something else?

I think the Sword, because in the right hands, a sword wielding warrior can be unstoppable.
Old 12-04-2002, 03:04 PM   #2
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

mmmm.... sword...

im learning to use a sword
Old 12-04-2002, 04:15 PM   #3
the witch king
Wight

the witch king has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

If it counts the ring of power lol
Old 12-04-2002, 04:40 PM   #4
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Yes, I agree, the sword. Think about it and the history of it. Most great warriors held teh sword too, and not just in ME. Think about it in the middle-ages, like William Wallace or Joan of Arc. I think that it is most effective, because there are many variations of it and it will suit the fighting style of a warrior. It can be quick and powerful. Some can be held with one, others need to, and some can be either way. The onehanded swords only need one hand obviously, so you can keep the other hand free, hold a shield (this helps in balancing your offense and defense) or you can even hold another sword. Even if you're using a two-handed sword, you can still use the sword to block to some degree.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 04:43 PM   #5
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

Well after all this about swords, I think i'll try something else.....Bows.

Bows are a perfect long range weapon which, when used collectively can stop swordsmen dead in their tracks (literally). Think of the English Longbowmen, the most feared enemies through parts of European Medieval History.

Go Longbow
Old 12-04-2002, 05:59 PM   #6
WarBringer
Wight

WarBringer has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The longbow is good, but what about in hand to hand combat?It wouldnt stand a chance. Also, its only as good as the number of arrows you have.
Old 12-04-2002, 06:36 PM   #7
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I know it's not original, but I'll say that overall (note, I said overall, not in every situation) the sword is the best. From Turin and Fingolfin all the way to Elendil through Aragorn, most of the great warriors became famous in battle while weilding their sword.

Exceptions would be Gil-Galad's with his spear and Hurin with his axe (and a few others).
Old 12-04-2002, 06:52 PM   #8
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

I'd like a RPG launcher but, ME doesn't have them. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I think I would just throw rocks. I can throw real hard but I don't wanna know how good I am at using a sword or a bow or something. I'd end up not only dying (duh) but taking some of my allies with me! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] But, if I could do what an elf or man could do in ME I would probably choose the bow because I like to pick people off from long range! I also prefer hiding behind a big boulder and shooting people from charging at them! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 07:34 PM   #9
Aengthrea Greenleaf Of Mirkwood
Animated Skeleton

Aengthrea Greenleaf Of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Aengthrea Greenleaf Of Mirkwood Send a message via AIM to Aengthrea Greenleaf Of Mirkwood
Sting

Hmmm I would want to use a bow for a reason which is already obvious.
Old 12-05-2002, 09:45 PM   #10
TheLordNazgul

Sting

I'll go with a bow or a longsword (bows are sooooo awesome in the right hands
Old 12-06-2002, 01:36 PM   #11
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

I don't know if that is a real good reason for wanting to use a bow Aengthrea! Although, I guess it persuaded me a little to choose the bow! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

200 POSTS!! YAY!! I ROCK!! Right, I'm okay! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Yes!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 05:59 AM   #12
HammerTime
Pile O'Bones

HammerTime has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, just to be different I'd have to say, when in the right hands, a magical staff would be best. Think of any swordsman, say Aragorn with Narsil, running at Gandalf. Gandalf raises his staff and BANG... So long Aragorn.
I also think a bow fitted with (if this is possible, or feasible) mithril tipped arrows. Fired at speed, surely they would pierce armour.
Old 12-07-2002, 02:21 PM   #13
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Sting

the most deadly weapon in Middle earth woudl have to be either a crossbow because a long bow does damage from afar byt if your enemy closes the gap between you, your dead.
or i would choose a Bardache, for those of you unknown it is a long polearm with a large semicircle blace on the end similar to a Ax but alot more deadly
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 02:46 PM   #14
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think it depends on the circumstances, but I'd choose either a bow or a sword. It would depend on the type of fighting I'd be doing.

~*~Orual~*~
Old 01-31-2003, 04:53 PM   #15
Pherdacilion the Elf

Sting

Come on, get with it people, the best would definitely be the staff!
Can a sword provide light in the dark?
Can a swordsman attack you from far off with spells?
Can a sword double as a walking stick?
Can you make an excuse not to consider a sword a weapon?
My conclusion: The magical staff (in capable hands) is infinitely better than a sword, bow, etc.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:40 PM   #16
Vardamar
Haunting Spirit

Vardamar has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Well I think that the elves have the right idea. Use both bows and swords. While a bow can kill your enemy before he can get to you (always a good thing), you will eventually run out of arrows, and/or there will be so many enemies, that they will over run your position. This is where your sword will come in handy.
You cant say which weapon is best overall, because different weapons have different function. You wouldn’t want to use a bow in close quarters combat. And you wouldn’t want to use a sword a long range.

By the way has anyone tried to a sword like object in the way the elves in the movie do?
I can’t get it to swing straight in front
of me, it always go to the side some. look in the pic.

Old 02-02-2003, 04:54 PM   #17
Jesse
Animated Skeleton

Location: My home is in the Twin Cities, but my soul is at Loch Ness in Scotland
Jesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In my opinion, the most powerful and effective weapon in Middle Earth would have to be a wizard's staff. He can cast spells with it and do many things with it.
Old 02-02-2003, 05:43 PM   #18
Arpinor Romenel

Sting

A sword is my choice weapon. It is fairly difficult, though. Anyway, it is an extremely reliable weapon and, if made properly, can last for ages.
Old 02-02-2003, 05:45 PM   #19
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Sting

i think any wepon is powerful i mean depending on how you use it.
for gimli legolas or agagorn gandalf sauron and so on all have diffeernt kind of wepons(ax,bow,sword,staff,rings of power).each of these wepons are very effective and are more effectife depending on whose using it. my fav though is a bow. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
elven maiden Earwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 09:53 PM   #20
Demloth of Dol Amroth
Wight

Demloth of Dol Amroth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hey people- i'm back. saw this thread and decided to hop in. for me, two-handed sword or hand-and-half sword. i don't do sword and shield too well, it doesn't feel right. I WANT NARSIL BAD!!! i do, however, have the gold-plated one ring. to wield a magical staff, going strictly by canon, you would *have* to be a maia at least. bows are okay, i might be able to shoot something with one of those, but probably not whatever i was aiming at.

[ February 02, 2003: Message edited by: Demloth of Dol Amroth ]
Old 02-03-2003, 08:32 AM   #21
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

After all this swords-stuff, and naming good examples... I say: 'No sword, but an axe or a morningstar!'
The axe had many good examples as well:Turin, Gimli, Dain and many other Dwarves!
Apparently I like Dwarves, so that may be the reason for me taking an Axe!
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 05:28 PM   #22
Evenstar1069
Pile O'Bones

Evenstar1069 has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

A bow at long range and a spear for uhh... not long range. Swords are heavy I don't think I'd do too well with one. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2003, 06:21 PM   #23
devil_666

The Eye

I'd definetly say bows and arrows is my style. they're so freaking practical. they're light weight and easy to use and aim with, but my second choise would definately be a sword or a shay-ray.

[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] what can I say I'm a weaponry girl in every sence of the words
Old 02-03-2003, 06:59 PM   #24
Anorien
Wight

Anorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anorien
Sting

hmm, i'd choose the magical elven spatula, for those burger flipping Mirkwooders! or maybe the magical pointy hat of Saruman...did he have a hat? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ February 03, 2003: Message edited by: Anorien ]
Anorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 05:47 AM   #25
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Weapon of Choice
Love (awww...).

Or the Phial of Galadriel.

Or Grond.
Old 02-05-2003, 07:20 AM   #26
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well I was going to say a nice, long broadsword, but those of you that recommended it make good arguments for a wizard's staff.

If you dont have a staff, I'd go for a strong broadsword. And, if you are disarmed, or if Hama makes you leave it at the door, keep a useful sized dagger in your sleeve. Just for emergencies. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-05-2003, 12:06 PM   #27
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

swords? staffs? bows?
imagine the scene. your walking down the street with a bow in your hand. ur gonna get arrested!
now, in real life, you need a ruler. its what i use. i tuck them in my belt or pockets, and make sure i always have 1 handy. any1 threatens me, i stick a sharp metal/ serrated plastic ruler n them.

my second choice wood b a bowmerang.
this is a "bow" made of 4 rulers stuck together in a boomerang shape, with a piece of elastic to use as string. (i fire pens) the good thing is, if you run outta pens, u can use the bow as a boomerang - throw it! thus the name
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 10:34 PM   #28
Aerandir Carnesir
Wight

Aerandir Carnesir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would definitley want to use one of those magical elvish blades that glow blue when orcs are around, like Sting, Orcbane, Glamdring, etc. In the Hobbit, doesn't it kind of say that Glamdring also glows when orcs are around? I have a cheap remake of Glamdring and I was just wondering.

I would have a bow as a secondary weapon. You can only use a bow for so long. Even Legolas/Elves have to use their knives eventually.
Aerandir Carnesir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 10:42 PM   #29
Ten'oio
Pile O'Bones

Ten'oio has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Although a wizard's staff would be pretty awsome...I'd have to agree with Aerandir on this one(sting, Orcbane, etc...). Those swords are so cool!
Old 03-03-2003, 07:54 PM   #30
NAri Brassbow
Pile O'Bones

NAri Brassbow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

one word "GROND" or Sauron's mace or some kind of enchanted ax
Old 03-03-2003, 08:44 PM   #31
Durion the Dark

Shield

c'mon, there is no class on this message board. Everything is either arrow this, or sword that!,....can not swords be stopped by simple armor even,..but hey, every waeopn has its faults. So I'd pick a MACE, a clerical weapon with power, and no matter what kinda armor you wearing its gonna crush bones....(rolls eyes at everyone so bold as to put magical weapon, i.e. magic axe, instead of using talent to fight) P.S. no offense to mages.
Old 03-03-2003, 09:06 PM   #32
Lhuntathrawen

Sting

swords? staffs? bows?
imagine the scene. your walking down the street with a bow in your hand. ur gonna get arrested!
now, in real life, you need a ruler. its what i use. i tuck them in my belt or pockets, and make sure i always have 1 handy. any1 threatens me, i stick a sharp metal/ serrated plastic ruler n them.
my second choice wood b a bowmerang.
this is a "bow" made of 4 rulers stuck together in a boomerang shape, with a piece of elastic to use as string. (i fire pens) the good thing is, if you run outta pens, u can use the bow as a boomerang - throw it! thus the name

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] that is probably the coolest thing i have ever heard!! i am so going to do that during my History class. i know exactly who i'm gonna get too..hehe [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
anywho, i'd use a sword or the wizard's staff. i like the maigical quality of the staff, but a sword talkes mucho skill to handle, i think (not ever having handled one)and looks sort of artistic yet at the same time deadly. kewlness, dontcha think?
Old 03-03-2003, 09:09 PM   #33
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Most effective? That depends entirely on the one who wields the weapon. For example: a wizard's staff in Gandalf's (or any other wizard's) hands can be a force to reckon with, but if someone like Aragorn were to pick it up, it'd be just a stick. If a Hobbit were to wield a broadsword, it'd be about as helpful as three whoops in Hell, yet a Man could easily destroy several foes with it.

That said, I think my weapon(s) of choice would be a sword and crossbow. I like to spar with my brothers (we use long sticks so we don't cut each other to pieces), but a crossbow would work efficiently for those enemies out of range of the blade. It is also eaiser to carry around than a longbow (in my opinion). And if I could throw a shield into that ensemble, I'd be ready for battle. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 05:38 PM   #34
nPiLL
Haunting Spirit

nPiLL has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to nPiLL
Sting

Id have to say an elven bow. Im not sure if you listed that as one of the choices but thats the one i would choose. Just the way legolas uses it explains it all.
nPiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 03:48 AM   #35
Pukel-Man
Haunting Spirit

Pukel-Man has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I think a nice war-hammer would do the trick. There is much less chance of a hammer getting lodged in the body, so weapon retention would be less of a concern. Most also had a spike on the weapon to add extra injury if need be.
This is not the time or the place to perform some kind of a half-assed autopsy on a fish... And I'm not going to stand here and see that thing cut open and see that little Kintner boy spill out all over the dock!-Mayor Vaughn
Pukel-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 04:24 AM   #36
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The garrote - quiet, quick, deadly.
Old 03-07-2003, 06:43 AM   #37
nPiLL
Haunting Spirit

nPiLL has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to nPiLL
Sting

The best would definatly be a bow. The way Legolas uses it that pretty much explains everything right there. If i had to choose another one it would probably be a sword like Aragorns.
nPiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 07:18 AM   #38
Durazor
Pile O'Bones

Durazor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I believe the Mace is most effective, not as clusmy as a Flail or Morningstar, strong wooden shaft with a handle with good grip, strong well balanced steel headpiece ontop of the shaft, maybe a spike sticking out of it for an extra piercing attack [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. My choice for a weapon.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:56 PM   #39
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

This is so obvious I can't believe no one has mentioned it yet.

A horse!

From horse back it really doesn't matter what the heck you have in your hand.

(Of course, Bill Ferny would still prefer a pitch'n catch net.)
Old 03-09-2003, 01:16 AM   #40
Chancellen the True
Pile O'Bones

Chancellen the True has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm a big fan of polearms; but, I don't remember anyone using them. I'd have to go with Gil Galad's choice of a spear. A very versitile weapon. It can be braced against a charge when on foot; or, used for charging when on horseback. It can be thrown if you have more than one. Does anyone know if Gil Galad's spear was a longspear or a shortspear? (please give source of info' or support your claim). If he uses a longspear, I'll get my polearm. A mace is also a fine weapon. It's effective against most defences.