The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2002, 12:23 PM   #41
Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood
Eye

Yes Nianna Telmnar I congratulate you as well! Your posts are most sincere and you seem to really care.

Yeah, and another reason my father understands me is because he loves it that instead of watching T.V sometimes I just sit and read. Though sometimes I read for an overwhelmingly long time and that's when he gets mad because he thinks I'm being lazy.

All of you people are great in my eyes. You have so much passion and love for the books. It's great that you don't change for other people, because it truly is their loss. You must be strong and hold up, because in the end all of this great literature and creativity will help us all for the better.

Oh and Ar-Gilien I'd just like to let you know that I'm a female. Therefore a lady not a lord, but it's a simple mistake. And no problem about the guest book. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2002, 12:45 PM   #42
Maylin
Haunting Spirit

Maylin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maylin
Sting

No one at my house understands it at all. My younger bros read it, but they don't have the greatest reading comprehension ever. My dad tried the first book, but he didn't get through the first chapter, thinking it was a kids book. the sad part about that is that I read the same books he does, and I certainly don't think it's a "kids" book. (I'm 12, though I don't really consider myself a kid) I don't have any friends who are really LotR fans either.
Maylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 12:58 PM   #43
Ainahithiel of Mirkwood
Animated Skeleton

Ainahithiel of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hello. My mother and father know nothing about Lord of the Rings, but they have seen the movies. SO, now my mother keeps asking these stupid questions like "So frodo dies?" and "Sauron is going to rule Middle Earth" and my father is a gastrointeroligist and he's always making stupid jokes like "yep, the elves die when they go to the Grey Havens"

NO! it is a cursed house hold that I live in.... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2002, 04:39 PM   #44
Nianna Telmnar
Haunting Spirit

Nianna Telmnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nianna Telmnar
Silmaril

Maylin, I want to congratulate you for reading LOTR at your age! You are right. It is certinly not a "childrens" book. Most of your peers no doubt find it either too difficult or too boring to spend time on.
Have faith and keep reading. In a few years, they may change their minds. Untill then, there's always the Barrow Downs!

~May your stay here be long and peaceful.
Old 12-29-2002, 04:50 PM   #45
Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood
Eye

Yep Maylin good job! I'm 13, but am going to be 14 in less than 2 weeks. I also read the LOTR series at the age of 12, though I had known about it since I was 7 or so, because we had the scary little cartoon movies. LoL! Keep it up everyone!
Old 12-29-2002, 05:01 PM   #46
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
I forced my sister to read the books so I would have someone to talk to...but she's not exactly the brightest knife in the drawer [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] And my parents are always asking me the stupidest questions. Oh no, now my cousin is doing it too! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2002, 02:37 AM   #47
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Thumbs up

Thats funny gollum elf pup [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] And this is a great topic i must say...i enjoy reading peoples posts...some of them are indeed inspiring...Nianna Telmnar's as i pointed out are indeed worth the read.

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 06:53 PM   #48
nuguernachil
Pile O'Bones

nuguernachil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

my parents, sister, and brother think they're cool and knowledgeable because they've seen the first movie. They keep asking me little sideways questions about TTT to see if i'll spill anything they might like to know before they see it. fools.
for me, it's more like they're intruding on something that's always been mine(LOTR). since the movies came out everyone who's seen it suddenly think that they're experts on tolkien. there's no privacy in my house anyway; it was nice to be the only one who knew how to speak elvish. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2002, 08:15 PM   #49
elsye
Animated Skeleton

elsye has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't have many friends who like LOTR. However, I do have a friend in middle school who is also obsessed. We ramble on for hours about it, and people try to get into the conversation with phrases such as "aren't those elf names funny?" when we're in the middle of discussing the Sindarin language. My family totally supports me, though [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2002, 08:27 PM   #50
Nianna Telmnar
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

I understand where your coming from nuguernachil. You feel as if these "newbie fans" are intruding on your "territory" of LOTR as it were. Something which you feel very passionate about they treat with the casual indifference of passing tourists.

But I do not believe that you should judge them too harshly. Since the release of FOTR a year ago, intrest in Tolken has been sparked in many who might never have glanced in its direction before. I admit it was seeing FOTR that made me want to read the book.

If your family seems to show genuine interest in LOTR, you might present the idea of reading the book (or books). Give them hints of what they could expect in TTT and how much more to expect in the book. If they decide to read the book, wonderful. If they dismiss the idea of reading and only want to watch the movies, let them. At the very least, you can go to the movies together and watch how they react to the end of TTT. (it will most likely drive them crazy)

Understand, that I am not trying tell you what you should or shouldn't do. Merely offing my advice as best as I can give it. Make of it what you will, and remember you will always find refuge here at BD, if you need it.

~May your stay here be long and peaceful. (and don't forget to sign the guestbook!
[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img])
Old 01-02-2003, 10:52 AM   #51
Finiel
Haunting Spirit

Finiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Nianna has a point. Old time fans shouldn't discriminate newbies. Like any other newbie, I wouldn't even know that there is such a thing as LOTR and a person named Tolkien if I didn't watched FOTR last yr. A year ago I thought LOTR is the same as Harry Potter (like another witches and wizards movie) and I never attempted to watch it until I saw Cate Blanchett in the trailer. Oh dear...I was ignorant (concerning Middle-Earth culture) a yr ago, Cate Blanchett saved my life. heehee [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] .

As for being the only hardcore-obsessed fan in our house, well some of you are lucky to have parents who at least ask questions about LOTR. My parents just kindda mock me and thinks that I'm weird reading Tolkien books, my dad snorts and tells me to shut up when I recite one of Tolkien's poems whenever I feel poetic. My brothers think that LOTR is boring but they at least ask questions. The bad thing is that my other brother thinks that the TTT was just a hindrance to the story. He just couldn't grasp that it connects FOTR and ROTK.

Well my parents might mock me but I'm happy enough that they bought me those books. But they're still quite annoying.
[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

sorry if my whining and complaining was pretty long. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
I just couldn't help it.

[ January 02, 2003: Message edited by: Finiel ]
"The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet the light of a bright world dies when day is done. The mind has a thousand eyes, And the heart but one; Yet the light of a whole life dies when love is done."-- F.W. Bourdillon
Finiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 12:04 PM   #52
Jedana

Sting

/waves
Hiyas! I'm not the biggest Tolkien fan in my house; that would be my husband. But now we've hooked our 9 year old daughter; she is on the Return of the King book; and she actually cried in the theater when she thought Aragorn died.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:21 PM   #53
Nianna Telmnar
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Welcome to the Barrow Downs. It's great that your entire family can enjoy LOTR together. Plus I'm thrilled you got her to read ANYTHING. Even if it's being read to her. My kid sisters spend all their time staring at a screen.
And hey, I almost got teary when Aragorn fell in the movie and I knew he didn't die already.
Old 01-03-2003, 06:57 PM   #54
Jedana

Sting

Thanks Nianna! The little one is a big reader...she's on the 4th HP novel and loves anything scary. LoTR is one of the family favorites!
Old 01-03-2003, 07:09 PM   #55
Artalwen
Haunting Spirit

Artalwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Artalwen
Sting

I also am alone in my love for Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit and such...none of my family likes it...I think they're crazy. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
The flowering stars, on crowns they hung
The dragon fire, in twisted wire
They meshed the light of moon and sun."
-verse from a song found in 'The Hobbit'-
Artalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 09:50 PM   #56
Nevvasaiel
Animated Skeleton

Nevvasaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm a 'newbie' too, but I have to admit that the movie was what got me interested in the first place. Around where I come from, LoTR was considered a 'guy's' thing, and girls weren't even supposed to be interested in fantasy novels!

My parents (and most of my friends), seem to find it very strange that i've become quite devoted - i've read most of Tolkien's books and I'm learning Elvish. My parents fell asleep after 5 mins of LoTR.... and they refuse to even read the book, although I've tried convincing them to. I know they wish I would concentrate on something that is more 'realistic', and not have my head in the clouds (apparently) all the time - but I think that Lord of the Rings actually reflects reality despite the fact that it is fantasy.* Does that make any sense?*

My parents hadn't even HEARD of LoTR... but I guess that the good thing is i've gotten some of friends really into LoTR too, and NOT Just because of some pretty blond elf!
(*No offense to O.B. fans*) Although I do spend quite a lot time explaining complicated details that they would understand if only they would read the books.

This is a great site! I'm so glad that I can communicate with other LotR fans without having to go through hours of silly questions.Thanks BD!
Old 01-04-2003, 01:35 AM   #57
pherostien
Animated Skeleton

pherostien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi I'm pherostien. I live in a house where my family likes the movie and thats all. I saw FotR and two days later I bought the book. Eight days later I finished the whole trilogy. In one year I have read the books 10 times. I have found peers at school but I am alone at home. I will admit that I can become very defensive when people talk badly of LotR. I am a hardcore over obsessive fan.
Woo hoo!! Go me!!
(sorry 'bout that) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2003, 07:58 AM   #58
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Greetings all,

Hmm Elmo and Gollum some how I can picture that. The both have long thin arm's only Elmo is anoying and Sm?agol is just plain cute.

Anyway I am sad. My local book store doesn't have The Silmarillion. Poor me, now how am I supposed to read it?

Greetings,

Anuion
________
Marijuana

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 02:01 AM.
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 07:15 PM   #59
Benny

Thumbs up

order it from the internet or go to a non lokal store. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2003, 07:21 PM   #60
Benny

Pipe

i am also verry sad, because i must be the only tolkien fan in my town! my family doesen`t care about lotr, they think i`m realy strange. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2003, 09:03 PM   #61
arwen baranhir

Sting

hey everyone! ( i think nearly everyone here is 'newly deceased'!) as you may want to know, i am only 14, and no one else in my house has read the books, and it gets boring. can anyone out there teach me elvish?
seriously...it sounds fun!
Old 01-04-2003, 11:33 PM   #62
zacattack
Haunting Spirit

zacattack has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am the only decent fan in my fmaily,I mean my dad and bro have seen the movies and they keep asking me stuff and it gets annoying because I know heaps
zacattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 06:08 PM   #63
Sindafalathiel
Haunting Spirit

Sindafalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sindafalathiel
Sting

I admit it, I am a newbie, but I have read all the books. I'm really the only true fan in my family, I mean, my brother has The Hobbit, but never reads it, and my father has the DVD of FotR but never watches it (probably because it now lives in my room [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]).
"My Legions of Terror will be an equal-opportunity employer. Conversely, when it is prophesied that no man can defeat me, I will keep in mind the increasing number of non-traditional gender roles." ~The Evil Overlord List
Sindafalathiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 01:00 PM   #64
Nianna Telmnar
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Hail and Welcome to all the newcomers to the Barrow Downs! I have been away from the thread for awhile and was pleased to return and find so many "newly deceased". May you all enjoy your stay here and don't forget to sign the guestbook. (if you've read this thread all the way through then you understand)

~Namaria (farewell)~
Old 01-08-2003, 05:52 AM   #65
Lidija Kasik

Silmaril

Happy New Year to all of you! I'm a little late, I know. Well, I can't say I'm the only one in my house who likes Tolkien, but I'm definitely the one who knows about the books and has actually read them, better to say "swallowed". The problem is, I've noone to talk to and discuss the LOTR, share my fascination and admiration. To me it's a whole new world, history and future. My friends usually say they don't like fantasy, but I hate the most when someone goes and reads the book just to say he/she's read it, but actually doesn't care. It's not that I don't want other people to read it, that would be sick, but to read it because it's "IN" just now. How can I talk to these people about Tolkien, when they don't understand his work? Do you agree? [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2003, 04:31 PM   #66
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi everyone!
I am a loner also. My mom says LOTR is evil, my dad really doesn't care and my kid brother hates to read and is too scared to watch the movie. That's not all, my whole church says LOTR is evil and constantly tells me and my best friend that we need to stop this nonsense and find something to obsess over that's less "satanic". [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2003, 07:58 PM   #67
Adramir Elenkalina

Eye

(phew, back from a LONG absence from BD forums but glad to be back)

I'm a lone-fan in my household too. My mom thinks that i'm abnormal and that it's unhealthy to be so obsessed. My dad is the same way, only he's worse because he makes fun of me for it. And me little sister is extremely annoying because she thinks that because she saw the movies that she is a fan and she knows everything about LotR. This wouldn't bother me except NONE of my friends are as passionate about LotR as I am. Although i've convinced one of my friends to read the books. There is one girl at my church who loves the books also but we never seem to talk about them when i see her. I think there's a kid in my German class who likes them, i don't really know though. I walked in one day and he started speaking a little elvish to me. (I think my obsession is now common knowlage [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]) So a friendship may devolop there. Really my ONLY source of any sort of encouragement is here a BD and Torc(only like the RPG threads, their conversation topics are really dull) For which i am eternally gratefull. I have to get off now but i'll probably come back later for some more complaining [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~Adramir~
Old 03-25-2003, 08:20 PM   #68
Haelothiel
Animated Skeleton

Haelothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh, me too! My parents aren't unsuportative, but they don't know about LOTR anyway. Honestly, during TTT my dad thought there were only two hobbits, that it was just Sam and Frodo having flashbacks. Me and my mom laughed at him, but she doesn't really understand anything that's going on either. Both brothers have seen the movies, and one has read the books, but neither are hard-core. Besides, they've already moved out. I have a cousin (God bless you, Calencoire!) who introduced me to this site, but she lives too far away. The worst part I think, is that NONE of my friends want to go any farther than the movies. My one friend gives me some pretty strange looks when I talk about this website or say that I'm going to paint my room with elvish sayings (YES!!! MY FOREST HOME WILL BE COMPLETE THIS WEEK!!! Speaking of which, anyone wanna give me some cool elvish quotes?) Well anyway, thank you all for listening to me whine and for giving me hope! How can one survive with out LOTR and people who understand it?
Old 03-25-2003, 08:52 PM   #69
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Quote:
Hello, my name is Nianna and I am the only Tolken fan in my house. Every time I start talking about it my father gets this blank expression on his face. Kinda like the one I get when he tries to explain football to me.
Lol. I can agree with the blank look part, but mmy parents don't like football [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] . Pretty much the same thing, though. I would explode if I didn't have the Downs. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I talk about it nonstop anyway, so my friends are careful not to approach me when I'm looking off in a dream, and never, under any circumstances, bring up the word elf. They don't even have to ask what book I'm reading anymore! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] And I'm a bookworm, so that's a big thing for me [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2003, 09:18 PM   #70
Scott
Wight

Scott has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Scott
Tolkien

If I didn't have my good friends Slaby and Premier Lee (inside jokes, I guess) I would probably have spontaneously combusted long before I found the Downs. It's too bad they don't speak any ME languages though. But they're still lifesavers when I can't get to a school computer and ramble on the Downs. I'm the only one in my family to have even thought of reading the books too (and when you live with nine people at any given time, that's pretty unnerving).

It's great that there are communities like this one on the web.

Thanks, oh valiant and kind Wights.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:29 PM   #71
Adutincowen
Pile O'Bones

Adutincowen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

hi, my name is Donegal, and I'm the ONLY Tolkien fan in my house! I'll often say how this beautiful day reminds me of "Lothlorien oh so long ago" only to be stared at as though I just said I wanted to have fish for supper.... yes, you can stare blankly too...

*~Adutincowen Whitetree~*
Adutincowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 09:55 PM   #72
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
Happy Gondorian New Year Everyone!!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I am The Morgul Queen and Im the ONLY Tolkien fan at my school/college. And lets not even mention my friends...they have ignored my ramblings all year (and last too) and then when they want to know about the endings of the TTT and RotK I refuse to tell them saying if they were listening to me earlier they would know...well actually they wouldn't I was mainly screaming about PJ and the no Glorfindel and the skipping of the Barrowdowns, the parts of the book I most wanted to see on film!
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 12:01 PM   #73
Sillabub
Wight

Sillabub has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I am alonnne! And not just as a Tolkeinite, but also as a Jellicle fan!

I am a convert from one of my friends, and I am the only obsessed member of my household. Plus, I'm stuck between my duty as a Tolkeinite and a Jellicle.....help.....
Old 05-23-2003, 11:57 AM   #74
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Greetings all!

Hello!

I'm the only Tolkien fan in the family (including aunts, grandparents, distant relations...) and yea, like you said Nianna, they give me an annoyingly blank expression whenever I bring up LOTR or just go "Whah?" [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Best wishes and of course, many smiles [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Tarien Ithil

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 02:07 PM   #75
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

to learn quenya go to here and then click on quenya course.
i read the books before the movie when i was 12. the movies came out straight after and ive been hooked ever since! i too am alone, yet my family understands my obsession
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 06:59 PM   #76
Estella Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Estella Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Estella Brandybuck
Sting

*sigh* Yes, I too am alone when it comes to Tolkien fanaticism (don't know if that's a word...). My brother-in-law has read the books, but he and my sister live in California, so I never get to talk to him. As for my parents... well, they've both sort of seen the first movie, but my mom fell asleep about half an hour into it, and my dad just didn't understand any of it. "So wait, what's with the big eye?", "Hang on, he's also in the second book? But he died! He fell off a friggin' bridge!" [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

I've got two friends who have also read The Hobbit and LotR, but neither of them come close to my level of fervor. They know the basics of the story, but whenever I go into those trite little details around them, all I get is a blank stare. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] I think the only person - outside of the Internet, that is - who I can really talk to about LotR is my art teacher, who is just darned cool. I was the only person in the class who understood what he was doing when he decided to sculpt the Nazgûl King and his "fell beast." 'Twas quite awesome.

But of course, despite my occasional loneliness, I've always got someplace to go if I want to get my daily dose of Tolkien-talk. Ahh, bless the internet and the Barrow Downs, and all those other sites. And though I've become known as "Uber-Geek" among my friends, no amount of teasing would be enough to turn me away from LotR, or any of my other nerdy loves. It can be fun to stand out from the rest of the family. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I agree with everyone else, this is a great idea for a topic. It's nice to see that I'm not alone in this crazy world. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
"But the Rohirrim sang no more. Death they cried with one voice loud and terrible, and gathering speed like a great tide their battle swept about their fallen king and passed, roaring away southwards." - RotK

Do you enjoy reading and writing LotR fanfiction?
Estella Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 02:48 PM   #77
Nerwen

Shield

ok, im not the only tolkien fan in the house, but i am the only tolkien fanatic. i even did a french project on it with my friend at school. we got a pretty good grade. i have been told that i am obsessed, well, me and my friend actually, and it kind of gets annoying after a while, but i can live with it. the only thing anyone else in my house knows about the lotr is what they got from the movie. its too bad that some of you guys' parents dont want you to read tolkien and stuff, how do you deal?
Old 05-24-2003, 03:00 PM   #78
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am 15, except i red the book when i was 14. My sister likes the LOTR movies but hasnt actually read the book yet, and as for my other family members they have not read the book either so i think i am realy the only Tolkein fan in my family. Although i know 2 of my friends at school have read the book and enjoy it.
Old 05-26-2003, 12:57 PM   #79
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

I think it's wonderful you've started a support group. I am the only Tolkien fan in my house(that knows anything)
My little sister like it cause her and her teenybopper friends like Viggo. Can't blame em, but still!
Whenever I start talking LOTR with my dad(who is the only one who listends) he goes off about star wars saying it's way better, he's never even seen the movies, much less read the LOTR books.
I'm surrounded by Tolkien idiots! Not knowing one single thing!
All the salvation I have is to lock my door to watch my FOTR movie.
Like I said, I like the idea of a support group.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 10:25 PM   #80
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Earendil Halfelven has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hello, my name is Earendil Halfelven, and I'm a Tolkien-aholic. I have FOTR and TTT movie posters hanging up in my room that are from an AMC movie theater, a 4ftX6ft canvas banner of TTT with a life size Frodo also hanging in my room that is from another AMC movie theater (I have connections at the theater [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) , a copy of the TTT DVD from the Oscars (now, you may say its a scam dvd or that copy in Chinese, but since its in English and about 6 times throughout the movie, the words "For Your Consideration" come onto the screen, which shows that its from the Oscars.), and that I've read LOTR 5 times since I was in 7th grade and am now a senior in highschool (I can bet that there are others that have read it billion more times than me but hey, I like to read other stuff too).

*tears form in Earendil's eyes*
My friends make fun of me because I like LOTR, and I don't like to watch the Dallas Mavericks (which btw, are getting spanked by the Spurs [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ). I defend myself by saying that I'd rather read books which will help me prevent alzhiemer's in the long run, than sit perplexed at the tv and watch sweaty men bounce a teeny orange, leather ball. And, with my little brothers, they used to make fun of me, but not anymore!
*a crazed look replaces the tears in Earendil's eyes*
They used to tease me, but after a few beatings, they stopped. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I have cultivated and conditioned them into good ol' LOTR fans like us!