The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 03:47 AM   #561
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia
Well deserved too. Enjoy your permanent vacation.
Thank you. Don't know if its deserved, but its nice....
Old 02-10-2005, 08:09 AM   #562
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thanks, but I still can't understand how I got here.....
Old 02-10-2005, 08:17 AM   #563
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Welcome aboard davem! I hope you remembered some pipeweed as I utterly neglected to pick some up on my way through the Shire!
Old 02-10-2005, 08:27 AM   #564
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Unsmoking Lands ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim
I hope you remembered some pipeweed as I utterly neglected to pick some up on my way through the Shire!
Alas, I suspect that smoking is forbidden in Valleyfornia ... er ... I mean Valinor.

Old 02-10-2005, 10:21 PM   #565
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Congrats, davem.

You know, I saw a road sign today giving directions for "Straight Path"... I wonder if that's how you really get to Valinor...

Well, I'd like to think so.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:06 AM   #566
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Quote:
You know, I saw a road sign today giving directions for "Straight Path"... I wonder if that's how you really get to Valinor...
If you have a chance of taking a picture of it, pray do so. There is a fun page of ME signs of the main site here, it will fit in nicely, I suppose

cheers

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
Old 02-11-2005, 11:27 AM   #567
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

HI: I'm not sure wether that page is still being operated or not; I sent in a picture of a sign that read Brandywine Rd. a few months ago but it isn't up there yet. So maybe it's not being watched anymore?
Old 02-11-2005, 11:56 AM   #568
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Barrow-Wight
If you don't meet any of these criteria, you add 0 points when giving reputations and are wasting your time.
Could this information be presented elsewhere, such as in the FAQ? I stumbled onto the reputation thing purely by accident, (got excited) thought that I knew what it was doing, then found out here that I was most likely 'wasting my time.'

Thanks.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:48 PM   #569
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Heren-- I think I may, if I can convince my mother to pull over to the side of the road so I can take a picture of a sign... she'll think I'm nuts. Or, I could just take one out the window if I timed it right...

Alatar-- It's not exactly a "waste of time" even though some people may not yet be able to give reps. The comments are great to read.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:24 PM   #570
tar-ancalime
Shade of Carn Dűm

tar-ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Alatar,

I don't think it's a waste of time to give points-free reputations--the comments are always appreciated. I posed the question on this thread several pages back, when I had no points to give (I think I have at least one now), whether I should continue to rep people, and several people responded, saying yes, please do!

The only thing you're not doing is adding to the green jewel count, and if the rhetoric is to be believed, that's not REALLY the important part, right folks?
Old 02-11-2005, 11:45 PM   #571
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Could this information be presented elsewhere, such as in the FAQ? I stumbled onto the reputation thing purely by accident, (got excited) thought that I knew what it was doing, then found out here that I was most likely 'wasting my time.'

Thanks.
It's the thought that counts.

Old 02-12-2005, 01:03 PM   #572
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
I likes boats. And you don't need to fork out for a passport, neither. Though as I am no Ellen McArthur, a quick pleasure cruise around the Bay of Belfalas would be enough excitement for me.

Can you get Duty Free on the straight path? And if so, how much pipeweed do you get in your allowance?
You better go via the Channel Islands, Lal - only place I can think of where you can get Duty Free without a passport ( I spent all summer coping with the suppliers.. ). And as for liking boats well .. it depends on the boats.... but I guess Cirdan provides something better than the rusty floating carpark that is the Isle of Wight ferry......

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 02-13-2005, 10:27 PM   #573
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encaitare
Alatar-- It's not exactly a "waste of time" even though some people may not yet be able to give reps. The comments are great to read.
Just saw that 'quote' in some of the first few posts to this thread, knew that I was guilty of the same and also, technically, I'm a wizard (ouch!) - then said, "Wow! These people foresaw my coming and repping like a mumakil without a driver - how neat is that?"

Just thought that the information might serve better if more easily found. And I too really appreciate the comments/feedback. Haven't figured out a way to get the gems off of the screen and into a gold setting yet...hmm. Anyone have Feanor on speed dial?
Old 02-14-2005, 11:37 AM   #574
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
Anyone have Feanor on speed dial?

No.. but I do have his fax number...

Old 02-15-2005, 11:15 AM   #575
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Congratulations on finding the straight road Lalwende - you never know you might find you get the travel bug after all ...... Albeit rather late if this is indeed the final journey ... or is there a level that puts you on Taniquetil with Manwe and Varda? And if there is I bet that is definitely non smoking

Old 02-15-2005, 02:42 PM   #576
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Congratulations on finding the straight road Lalwende - you never know you might find you get the travel bug after all ...... Albeit rather late if this is indeed the final journey ... or is there a level that puts you on Taniquetil with Manwe and Varda? And if there is I bet that is definitely non smoking
I bet it isn't - after all, can you imagine Gandalf relinquishing his pipeweed habit?

I'm just wondering when this ship sets sail, I've brought my fishing rod along.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:51 PM   #577
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Well it only says you are bound for the Straight Road ... doesn't say when ..... you weren't planning on taking my car again were you?

Old 02-15-2005, 03:03 PM   #578
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Did your car come back to you in the end? If I see it wandering free on the Tower Hills then I'll erm, look after it for you. That is, if Cirdan has indeed invented the roll on- roll off ferry. Those huge steel doors might look quite ugly in the swan like prow of an Elven ship. And I can't see him taking kindly to lots of lorry drivers tucking into greasy fry ups on the poop deck, either.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:10 PM   #579
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Didn't read post 458 then? That fuel line cost Ł30 btw ..... should have called the AA who fixed the last one for nada ..... but my Relay service doesn't cover Middle Earth

Old 02-15-2005, 04:00 PM   #580
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

'Tis getting positively crowded up on the poop deck! Welcome aboard Lalwende!

It's nice to once again have the feminine touch about the place. No looms here, but I'm sure there's some dusting that needs doing.

*Fordim ducks, and scrambles to put on some trousers*
Old 02-16-2005, 08:12 AM   #581
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Trousers? What are you doing without trousers? Don't tell me they are creased and I'll have to do the ironing as well as all that dusting?

What's a 'poop deck' anyway? Is it some obscure term left over from the days of the great ocean liners, when posh ladies used to take their little lap dogs on board?
Old 02-16-2005, 08:22 AM   #582
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

From the Fount of All Wisdom and Knowlege (a.k.a. the OED):

Quote:
The largest ships of the line had main-deck, middle and lower deck; also the upper or spar-deck, extending from stem to stern over the main-deck, and the orlop deck (which carried no guns) below the lower deck; they had also a poop-deck, or short deck in the after part of the ship above the spar-deck, and sometimes a forecastle deck, or similar short deck in the fore-part of the ship, sometimes retained in merchant ships and called the top-gallant forecastle. See also HALF-DECK, HURRICANE-DECK, QUARTER-DECK, etc.
As to the lack of trousers: when it's only blokes about we like to strip down to our knickers, balance cans of lager on our heads and watch some footy on the telly.

(Or so I'm told.)
Old 02-16-2005, 08:35 AM   #583
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

That's shattered my illusions about the origins of 'poop deck' anyway, which is perhaps a good thing, considering those illusions!

I just hope you all have clean underwear on, 'cause I'm not doing the laundry. Who's the ring-leader in all this laddishness then? I'm not that bad at balancing cans of lager on my head, actually...
Old 02-16-2005, 08:48 AM   #584
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

As I recall, it was davem who first introduced the casual tone of laddishness (what a great word! Is that actual British lingo or something of your own creation?) way back when he first got to Aragorn's Court.

But this is becoming Chatty, and thus in danger of earning us both a right good Barrow-Wighting.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:38 PM   #585
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle
As I recall, it was davem who first introduced the casual tone of laddishness (what a great word! Is that actual British lingo or something of your own creation?) way back when he first got to Aragorn's Court.

Laddish is British Lingo but is not always a term of approbation

Much scarier however is the ladette.

http://english2american.com/dictionary/cat_people.html

Last edited by Mithalwen; 02-16-2005 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:11 PM   #586
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots A friendly update

Sea shanties and beer on the tides, I see. Whatever will those stone-faced Immortal Ones think?

The residents of Minas Tirith have become slighty perturbed about the incessant loud rock music blaring from the massive speakers of the Court. They are also outraged at the so-called - and I quote - 'lack of morals' displayed by the guests. O my! Kids these days!

A greeting to all our friends,

from the Court of Aragorn.

(Where I don't think I'll ever be leaving, judging by the deranged warblings that are my recent posts)
Old 02-16-2005, 05:58 PM   #587
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
The residents of Minas Tirith have become slighty perturbed about the incessant loud rock music blaring from the massive speakers of the Court. They are also outraged at the so-called - and I quote - 'lack of morals' displayed by the guests.
The people of Minas Tirith can rest easy now that the phantom has arrived. He will have things looking and sounding regal again within the day, and the worst of the misbehaving miscreants will be locked in the White Tower.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:15 PM   #588
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Quote:
The residents of Minas Tirith have become slighty perturbed about the incessant loud rock music blaring from the massive speakers of the Court. They are also outraged at the so-called - and I quote - 'lack of morals' displayed by the guests.
The people of Minas Tirith can rest easy now that the phantom has arrived. He will have things looking and sounding regal again within the day, and the worst of the misbehaving miscreants will be locked in the White Tower.
Finally! They've not been listening to me...
Old 02-17-2005, 10:23 AM   #589
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

[QUOTE=Eomer of the Rohirrim]
The residents of Minas Tirith have become slighty perturbed about the incessant loud rock music blaring from the massive speakers of the Court. They are also outraged at the so-called - and I quote - 'lack of morals' displayed by the guests. O my! Kids these days!

from the Court of Aragorn.
QUOTE]

Look what they started here when they took to drinking beer in their undies... and my redecoration was a complete waste of time ...... it is now more "moulin rouge" than a citadel of taste and elegance ...... the string quartet is playing electric instruments and wearing leather and the library has been turned into a "chill out" room - whatever that is .... .and don't get me started on what they have done to the court of the fountain...

Last edited by Mithalwen; 02-17-2005 at 11:26 AM. Reason: crucial missing word
Old 02-17-2005, 10:58 AM   #590
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Don't I have immunity, granted by the King himself?

Anyway, acts of debauchery are victimless crimes; like punching someone in the dark.

Peace.

Last edited by Eomer of the Rohirrim; 02-17-2005 at 10:59 AM. Reason: To add yet more hilarity; also the Wargs made me do it.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:01 AM   #591
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
Don't I have immunity, granted by the King himself?

Anyway, acts of debauchery are victimless crimes; like punching someone in the dark.

Peace.

Find me wheatgrass, alka-seltzer and ear-plugs and all is forgiven. Find me a decent espresso and I might give this debauchery another go....

Old 02-17-2005, 11:10 AM   #592
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Debauchery's a funny thing (no, bear with me, I'm actually going somewhere with this). You see, back in the day, it was considered debauched to eat marshmallows. Why, when I used to live in the Old Forest, I could barely walk around without angry deer shooting me wicked glances for wearing red boots.

So you see, the Court should be permitted our freedoms. It's like a big social experiment.

As much coffee as you please Mithalwen. It's some of the finest Nurn coffee, I believe. Wonderful stuff...
Old 02-17-2005, 11:12 AM   #593
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
Debauchery's a funny thing (no, bare with me.....

Is that an invitation? LOL

Old 02-17-2005, 11:15 AM   #594
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Swiftly edited.

The first time I've ever felt the need to use that particular emoticon.

Biff did it. He wants to make me look terrible (even more so) because he is sickened by what the Court has become. Biff's favourite barrowdowners are Fordim, davem, Sauce and the Wight himself. I think he loathes me. Probably because I scream at him all the time.

Last edited by Eomer of the Rohirrim; 02-17-2005 at 11:19 AM. Reason: To punish Biff
Old 02-17-2005, 11:23 AM   #595
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
...... the string quartet is playing electric instruments and leather ...
The quartet is playing leather? Horrifying indeed. I brought my strat to Elrond's porch just in time.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:27 AM   #596
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Oops I have corrected this to the intended "wearing leather" ... sorry Eomer distracted me....

Old 02-17-2005, 11:35 AM   #597
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I have used my influence to obtain a new decree the King!

"I, Aragorn Elessar Estel Strider Longshanks Telcontar, declare that from this moment until the Last Battle-

1) The fountain is to spout WATER!

2) The library is off limits to all but those on my list of scholars. Anyone caught using books or piles of manuscript as a foot rest, a coaster, or as tinder will be booked and then "booked" (like a stoning, only books are used in place of rocks).

3) Anyone who uses the word "debauchery" without cringing will be taken to "Denny's leap" where the perpetrator will be made to emulate the recently deceased Steward.

4) Those who hinder Mithalwen's redecoration efforts will be locked in Chinese handcuffs and have their mouths sealed, and then will be taken to Ioreth's house to sit in the living room as a conversation piece."

Last edited by the phantom; 02-17-2005 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:40 AM   #598
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Oh Phantom .... you are no fun anymore......

And the library thing reminds me of the solemn declaration I had to make on joining the Bodleian, not to set fire to the place .... I mean the thought never occured til they suggested it......

Old 02-17-2005, 11:52 AM   #599
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
4) Those who hinder Mithalwen's redecoration efforts will be locked in Chinese handcuffs and have their mouths sealed, and then will be taken to Ioreth's house to sit in the living room as a conversation piece."
With all this talk of debauchery and freudian slips about baring things and leather, they might like that kind of thing. I should think up some more sedate punishments if I were you, like being forced to learn embroidery or something of that nature.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:08 PM   #600
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Chat-room