The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-31-2002, 11:14 AM   #1
Mankáno
Animated Skeleton

Mankáno has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Mankáno
Sting Were Elladan, Elrohir and Arwen Elves?

We know that Earendil was the son of an elf (Idril) and a man (Tuor). Elwing was the daughter of Nimloth (an elf) and Dior who in turn was the son of Luthien (elf) and Beren (man), so, both were half-elves.
But in recognition for their services in the war against Morgoth they were given the chance to choose, and they both wanted to be elves.
They already had two children: Elrond and Elros, so, they were given the choice too and Elrond chose to be an elf but Elros wanted to be a man.
All Elros' descendants were men, which makes sense, none of them were born when Elros made his decision and when Elros' children were born, he was a man.
For me it was then clear that, since Elrond was an elf after the choice and he married Celebrian (an elf) that his children would be elves, without the choice to be men.

And that seems to be clear, by the time of the war of the ring, they were over 3,000 years old.

However, I read one of Tolkien's letter that says they were given the choice too, and it wasn't clear if they had made that choice by the time of war of the ring, that Arwen wanted to be a mortal to marry Aragorn but it wasn't known what decision Elladan and Elrohir made afterwards.

That I think was an idea that Tolkien had at some point, then rejected. It wouldn't make much sense. First, what would they be until they make a choice? having living 3,000 years they obviously were not simple mortals, and what if they died before making the choice? would they follow the men or the elves' destiny?
About Arwen, she resigned her right to go to Aman, but not to her elf condition, the reasons why she couldn't go to Valinor after Aragorn died would be a matter of discussion for another topic but, she didn't need to become a woman to marry Aragorn. Idril didn't, and Luthien did only because Beren was already dead and he obtained his life in exchange.

What are your thoughts?
Mankáno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 01:04 PM   #2
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

I think that they were all elves, or at least mostly elves...
Old 01-31-2002, 03:05 PM   #3
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Elrond's children were Elven. The choice they were given was whether they wanted to go with their father to the west, or to stay in ME. If they stayed in ME, they became mortal, which is what Arwen chose because she had married Aragorn. Hope this helps! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]