The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2006, 01:31 PM   #1
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up Paper Telephone.

Okay, this is slightly more unusual than your average Mirth game, but it's worth it.
I discovered this game while on this forum.

I am not sure such an art focused game is a conventional Barrow Downs thread, but when I saw the results, I couldn't hep but think the Downers deserve to share in the experience.

The first player comes up with a sentence and shows it to the second player in private.
The second player draws a picture to illustrate this sentence and shows it to the third player in private.
The third player then writes a sentence to describe this picture and shows it to the fourth player in private.
And so on.

Normally the results are fantastic, but it's slightly more difficult to play on a forum than at a regular party. So here's how it works:

People sign up to play.
I (as the first player) think of a sentence and PM it to the second player.
The second player draws a picture and PMs it back to me.
I PM this picture to the third player, who writes a suitable sentence and PMs it to me. And so on and so forth till the end

This way we have the entire chain at one person's disposal, so that once it's finished it can be posted quickly and easily.

Pictures can be created in any medium - computer-created or scanned. Be creative.

Sign up now. I want at least 10 people so we get 5 pictures. It may take some time, but I think it will be worth it.

Oh, and the first sentence will be Middle Earth related. So worry not.

If you think this thread inappropriate for the Downs, I'll completely understand. But the results of this game literally had me in tears with laughter when I first read it, so I thought some folks here would like it...

Old 09-06-2006, 04:45 PM   #2
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Sounds fun ... count me in!
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:45 PM   #3
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill
You mean the first sentence in every round, right?

I would suggest that each player in a round should try to keep their contribution at least vaguely Tolkien-related. You never know, that might make it even funnier.

I'm happy to let it pass for now, but let's see how it goes.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:48 PM   #4
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I'll give it a shot.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:15 PM   #5
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpM
I would suggest that each player in a round should try to keep their contribution at least vaguely Tolkien-related. You never know, that might make it even funnier.
Agreed. So long as this stays Tolkien-related it can continue. If it gets out of control and evolves to something that is 100% non-Tolkien-related, which I can see happening quickly if we're not careful, I will shut it down.

Hookbill I trust that you will help to oversee that it remains as requested.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:53 PM   #6
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
As long as artistic ability is not required, I'd love to take part.

(In other words...will stick figures convey enough of a message? )
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:06 PM   #7
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The 1,000 Reader is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
I'll sign up, but due to a lack of a scanner I'll have to only make up sentences.
"And forth went Morgoth, and he was halted by the elves. Then went Sauron, who was stopped by a dog and then aged men. Finally, there came the Witch-King, who destroyed Arnor, but nobody seems to remember that."

-A History of Villains
The 1,000 Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:06 PM   #8
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'd love to sign up. Sounds like fun. Rather like "Whisper Down the Alley", which I always enjoyed as a kid.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:54 AM   #9
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
Hookbill I trust that you will help to oversee that it remains as requested.
I will try my best.
But it will be mostly up to the individual writers and artists to keep it Tolkien, but if I see something going too far, I'll send it back and say "Change it! Ye fool!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 1,000 Reader
I'll sign up, but due to a lack of a scanner I'll have to only make up sentences.
Oh, you can use Microsoft paint or something if you wish. Check out the example in the link I provided on the first post.

Players signed up

1) Hookbill
2) Rikae
3) Firefoot
4) Durelin
5) The 1,000 Reader
6) Oddwen
7) Macalaure

8)
9)
10)

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 09-07-2006 at 03:11 AM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:56 AM   #10
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
This sounds like a lot of fun. Count me in!
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:03 AM   #11
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Count me in to, though all the pics will be done on the computer, so I'm not sure how well that will turn out. But it sounds like a great idea.

Oh, and a question, will everyone get the chance to make up a sentence and do a picture? Or will we only get to do one?
Old 09-07-2006, 05:30 AM   #12
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Count me in too.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:50 AM   #13
Precioussss
Wight

Precioussss has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I'll play!
Old 09-07-2006, 06:15 AM   #14
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

I'd like to play, though the best thing I can ever draw is a stick figure with a top hat.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:45 AM   #15
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
I'm in...where's the Ka? She should be around for this one.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:37 AM   #16
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538
Oh, and a question, will everyone get the chance to make up a sentence and do a picture? Or will we only get to do one?
Just one, I'm afraid. But if you don't get to do one you wanted to, then you'll get a special place for the next game.

Players signed up:

1) Hookbill
2) Rikae
3) Firefoot
4) Durelin
5) The 1,000 Reader
6) Oddwen
7) Macalaure
8) wilwarin538
9) Thinlómien
10) Precioussss

Sorry, Kitanna and JennyHallu, you were a little late. However, I'll make sure you are first on the list for the next game.

The Game will start in a few moments when I send the first sentence to Rikae. If everyone is punctual, the first game should be done quickly and we'll all get to see the lovely pictures...
Old 09-07-2006, 01:53 PM   #17
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Ok, I've finished my masterpiece.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:16 PM   #18
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quick question, and I thought it best to ask this here than through PM, since it might be of concern to others (maybe...):

Are the pictures allowed/should they be allowed to have any words in them at all? Even labels, names, the like?

I'm assuming probably not, for mere shock/amusement value.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:59 PM   #19
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
Quick question, and I thought it best to ask this here than through PM, since it might be of concern to others (maybe...):

Are the pictures allowed/should they be allowed to have any words in them at all? Even labels, names, the like?

I'm assuming probably not, for mere shock/amusement value.
Agreed. It seems rather contrary to the nature of the game to have words included when we are trying to create a sentence from a picture. I did this once at a work meeting ( ) and we weren't allowed to put words on the pictures but I guess it's up to Hookbill in this case.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:24 PM   #20
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Quote:
I did this once at a work meeting
Where do you work? It sounds like a fun place.

I agree, I don't think words should be allowed in the pictures either.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:47 PM   #21
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The 1,000 Reader is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba
Oh, you can use Microsoft paint or something if you wish. Check out the example in the link I provided on the first post.

I use a mac.
"And forth went Morgoth, and he was halted by the elves. Then went Sauron, who was stopped by a dog and then aged men. Finally, there came the Witch-King, who destroyed Arnor, but nobody seems to remember that."

-A History of Villains
The 1,000 Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:29 AM   #22
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
Agreed. It seems rather contrary to the nature of the game to have words included when we are trying to create a sentence from a picture. I did this once at a work meeting ( ) and we weren't allowed to put words on the pictures but I guess it's up to Hookbill in this case.
Generally it probably shouldn't be allowed, yes. Unless its a joke and doesn’t give too much away, I'll probably let it slide. For example, you could have a Balrog saying, "I don't have wings!" or something.

1,000 Reader, dont' worry, you'll be writing.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:47 PM   #23
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
This sounds extremely amusing, so please sign me up for the next game!
Old 09-10-2006, 02:51 PM   #24
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

We're about half way through now! At the moment I'm awaiting Oddwen to finish the drawing!

So far, this is the list of players for the second game...

- Kitanna
- JennyHallu
- Orominuialwen

Doth anyone want to mod the next one or should I do it again? If so, I'll explain in more detail what that entails.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:12 PM   #25
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

We're nearly finished! We just need Precioussss to do a picture for us!

If Precioussss still hasn't done it by... say... Monday, I'll pass it on to Kitanna (being the first in the next list). Thou hast been warnéd
Old 09-15-2006, 03:53 PM   #26
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
My, my, I missed this?

Oh well, I don't mind joining up for any further games, if there is a spot open.

I swear, sometimes I am such a dingaling about these things on the downs, but ah, c'est le vie, and it demands much too. This looks too good to miss anymore.

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:13 PM   #27
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Are the lines down?
Old 09-20-2006, 02:22 AM   #28
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

No, no they're not. I've sent a message to Kitanna yesterday and we're just awaiting the final picture.

The results will be put up as soon as possible.

I think for the next game, we'll need to put a proper time limit on the pictures and sentences. That way we can work out when each player will need to work.

I think for dwawing I'll set a limit of 4 days, and for sentences I'll say 2 days.

Players signed up for Game 2...

- Game Mod
- JennyHallu
- Orominuialwen
- The Ka
Old 09-22-2006, 09:06 AM   #29
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up *Ring Ring*

Finnaly, the first Paper telephone call is over.

Here was the order:

1) Hookbill (Write)
2) Rikae (Draw)
3) Firefoot (Write)
4) Durelin(Draw)
5) The 1,000 Reader (Write)
6) Oddwen (Draw)
7) Macalaure (Write)
8) wilwarin538 (Draw)
9) Thinlómien (Write)
10) Precioussss (Draw)

We began with the sentence:

“Bilbo always knew the Sackvill-Bagginses were hiding under the table."

To which Rikae produced this work of art…

I've linked it, because it's kind of big.

Firefoot described it as:

“Merry and Pippin hide under a table from an Elf.”

Durelin decided to draw this:

‘The 1,000 reader’ said it looked like:

“Elrond's kids are abused by their dad.”

Oddwen drew this masterpiece:

Macalaure could only reply with:

“A female Elf in a red dress with sunglasses doing Karaoke, much to the displeasure of her three screaming daughters dressed in blue and grey, one of which has her hair stood on end.”

wilwarin decided to draw this in reply:

And Thinlómien wrote:

“Galadriel's "The Big Neo G and the G-Girls" took part in the Middle-Earth X-factor.”

To finish off, Precioussss didn’t reply, so Kitanna drew instead and finished this game off with this masterpiece!

So, a telephone call ends. What will the next one bring? Only time will tell…
Old 09-22-2006, 09:26 AM   #30
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
That was magnificent

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:39 AM   #31
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Wow. I can only say... Count me in for the next round!
Old 09-22-2006, 09:42 AM   #32
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Yeah me too

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:44 AM   #33
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

*giggles*

Thank God for autoshapes in paint...
Old 09-22-2006, 09:55 AM   #34
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Yes, it was rather good, wasn't it?

Exactly why the Sacvill-Bagginses were under the table is anyone's guess...

So, players so far:

- Hookbill (Write)
- JennyHallu (Draw)
- Orominuialwen (Write)
- The Ka (Draw)
- Rune (Write)
- elronds_daughter (Draw)
- mormegil (Write)

1 more player and we can start a new game...

[Edit] Morm, you've been added.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 09-22-2006 at 12:49 PM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:10 PM   #35
mormegil
Maundering Mage

I could write.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:20 PM   #36
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Thumbs up

I literally laughed 'til I cried. Awesome game, Goomba!
Old 09-22-2006, 01:53 PM   #37
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Hilarious.

I'd like to play again, as well - if not for this time, then next time, and I'd prefer drawing when I do play next, if possible.

Last edited by Firefoot; 09-22-2006 at 02:35 PM.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:05 PM   #38
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

I'll play again, as needed.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:09 PM   #39
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

I'd like to play again too, but only if there isn't someone else who'd like a chance.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:59 PM   #40
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Female elf? It's Agent Elrond!

That is seriously hilarious, seriously. Really. I find each person's different interpretations fascinating.

Kitanna's "Word". Haha. Love the pun.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote