The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #641
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thanks!
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:33 AM   #642
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Seven years dead as of yesterday......

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:37 AM   #643
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Happy (belated) deathday, Mith! Seven is just the number - can't say it's lucky, but it's special.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #644
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thank you. Seven comes from the Hebrew word for completeness. Not that I plan going anywhere (though RL enforced a degree of sabbatical last year)..yes...seven stars and seven stones and one white tree...

Old 05-22-2011, 11:17 AM   #645
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Thank you. Seven comes from the Hebrew word for completeness.
Well, your time on the Downs is far from complete!
Old 05-22-2011, 11:22 AM   #646
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I hope that is the case!

Old 05-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #647
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Hope you had a fun deathday, Mith.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:26 PM   #648
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Happy Deathday, Mith!
Old 05-22-2011, 12:32 PM   #649
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I did I went to Brighton with my cousins and met my sister who lives there and we went to a talk (very funny) on gin in literature and drank an assortment of cocktails and had a splendid time. Not for nothing is my nom de plume elsewhere ginslinger

http://www.hendrickshorselesscarriage.com/

Old 05-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #650
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Happy Deathday, Mith, and seven times seven more years!

Quote:
For a moment there, I thought your account had been hacked by a spambot...
Old 05-22-2011, 03:06 PM   #651
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Only a gin bot(tle).. seven times seven may be a bit optimistic....but as the judge instructed, I'll do as many as I can....

Old 05-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #652
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Happy Deathday, Mithalwen!
Old 05-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #653
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Belated happy deathday, Mother dear!
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:56 AM   #654
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Hmmm...it seems I died in June four years ago. I hadn't noticed. Now where's this white light everyone mentions?
Old 06-25-2011, 10:17 AM   #655
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Happy deathday, Morth! The white light is for regular people; we have wight light!
Old 08-09-2011, 03:39 AM   #656
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
A very happy deathday to Volo! Five years, right?
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:22 AM   #657
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Happy deathday, Volo!

On birthdays it's like we are born again. So we die again every deathday? Or, we simply rot a little more...
Old 10-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #658
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

This day, exactly a year ago, was a turning point for the world: the Downs gained one new member called Galadriel55.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #659
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Seeing the thread posted to reminded me, I missed my Deathday on Friday the 14th. 9 years...

And congrats, G55, it gained an excellent member indeed!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #660
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Conratulations, Dury! Yeah, 9 years seems a lot!

And thanks!
Old 10-18-2011, 06:51 AM   #661
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Belated happy deathday to both of you, G55 (has it been already a year!) and Dury! (And to all whomever else's deathday might have been in the course of the past weeks but who have not reminded us of that yet.) It's nice to have you around here both
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #662
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Thanks Legate!
Old 10-25-2011, 12:26 AM   #663
hubesiagosa67

What! I have never heard of that, anyway I wish you die today maybe it could be a better taste for you, happy death day in advance.
  Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 10-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #664
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubesiagosa67 View Post
What! I have never heard of that, anyway I wish you die today maybe it could be a better taste for you, happy death day in advance.
Hey, hey, what are you so mad about? It's the forum theme. Those who read Fellowship of the Ring know that the Barrow Downs are located between Bree and the Old Forest, and that they are "haunted" by Barrow Wights. Anyone who dares to cross the Downs at night is "killed" by them and joins the ranks of the undead.

For me joining this forum was certainly a change for the better, and I think I speak for the majority here as well. The "deathday" is like a birthday on this forum.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 10-25-2011 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Spelling
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #665
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Ten years, hooray!

Just popped over here by chance and then suddenly remembered October's just been... An entire decade has now passed since I began haunting the site. How the time flies. I took up permanent residency as Meela a year and a bit after I actually came to the site and the forum, so it's nine years of continuous posting, but ten years now overall. I might even bake a cake to celebrate.

(Update) On second thoughts, scrap the cake. Have decided on a fitting way to celebrate ten years of talking, thinking, watching, living, breathing LotR. I am going to read the Lord of the Rings for the first time ever.

Last edited by Meela; 11-16-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Meela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #666
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Wow, what a date! Congratulations!
Old 11-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #667
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Congrats, G55! One year, but it feels like you've been haunting this place for much longer.

Also congrats to Durelin and Meela, celebratory cakes are definitely necessary!
Old 11-06-2011, 10:09 PM   #668
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Thanks, Miggy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
One year, but it feels like you've been haunting this place for much longer.
Must be the predominating quantity over quality of posts....
Old 11-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #669
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Happy deathday little wolf cub

Old 11-07-2011, 05:25 PM   #670
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Happy deathday little wolf cub
Thank you, Mama Wolf.

(quite coincidentally ironical, your congratulation, with my recent WW death... )

Last edited by Galadriel55; 11-07-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #671
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

1420! Although I congrtulated you elsewhere...

Happy deathday, sally! May many more come yet!
Old 11-15-2011, 06:16 PM   #672
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Because you deserve it, old pal!

In only 5 years you found not only interesting discussions and quizzes in these deathly halls, but a soulmate to rot together with as well! Here's to the next 5 years, Legate!

PS: Not sure if you are a TES fan, but it was just too tempting to use the Skyrim logo for a "V"

Last edited by The Might; 11-15-2011 at 06:20 PM.
The Might is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:59 PM   #673
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Happy deathday Legate!

Quote:
Here's to the next 5 years
Only five? More like five times fifty-five!
Old 11-16-2011, 08:48 AM   #674
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
PS: Not sure if you are a TES fan, but it was just too tempting to use the Skyrim logo for a "V"
Well, I am not, so in fact I have no idea what it is about, but that does not matter, I can at least just take it as it is, and it's nice

Thank you both for remembering me! It's rather amazing thing... five years sounds incredibly creepy. I mean, by the time I joined, "five years dead" people were the ones who have joined the 'Downs basically after it came to existence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Only five? More like five times fifty-five!
I certainly hope for as much
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 11-16-2011, 10:13 AM   #675
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
My goodness. Though I am not as active as I once was in this forum, I still haunt and read now and then. But it has been an entire decade! I was unaware the internet was even that old... How things have changed since I was a wee 14 year old bopping my way around the Quiz Room.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:07 PM   #676
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Thumbs up

Happy Deathday, Lindorilian!
It's always nice to see "old-timers" find their way back to the Downs!
Old 11-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #677
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Happy birthday, Lindolirian, and belatedly to Legate, sally, G55 and all you other beloved corpses I've missed lately!
Old 11-16-2011, 09:11 PM   #678
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Happy deathday Lindolirian!

I feel such a new-caught hobbit compared to all you old-timers...
Old 11-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #679
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Happy deathday Lindolirian!

I feel such a new-caught hobbit compared to all you old-timers...
No, that's just exactly what I was talking about - that's how I felt as compared to those like Lindolirian, yet now the difference between me and you is the same as it was between the two of us. Before you know it, you'll be there as well.

Belated happy deathday to Lindolirian, too! And I think it is really nice to have the true "most ancient 'Downers" still being with us and coming back! The 'Downs is truly a magnetic site - should I say, the world of magnets and miracles
Old 12-03-2011, 07:35 PM   #680
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I almost forgot, but today marks my fourth year on the 'Downs. It definitely doesn't feel as long.