Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #161
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oh it's no big deal, I'm sure I can BS the times so that Edwin's father arrived at the Pony later, after the boys left. As for Jess' dad...if he would have heard Edwin was the one who sort of lead the gang and is missing, too (which I'm guessing he has), well I suppose he could have had an interesting conversation with Edwin's dad... What do you think? No need to go back and edit anything in, though, can just refer to it having happened if it works out in the timeline. (Which I do not have a grasp on, at all, through entirely my own fault...)

Of course it’s likely the news is all over the Pony…so I suppose he’s probably heard regardless. Not sure if Edwin's dad would do anything other than mope about the possibility of losing his son as he did his wife. (Yay sob story)

Sorry for not having as clear an idea what's been going on back in Bree as I should. I really need to re-read your posts, Mith.

As for the next adventure...I had a couple very vague ideas cross my mind but nothing that's really stuck. If Edwin and Jessamy continue to keep in touch with Karl a bit (I was planning on Edwin doing so), then something could happen to him on his wanderings haha. I also thought of Edwin deciding he was leaving Bree for good or some such, of course I haven’t come up with where or why…

Any thoughts on what Jess might get up to in the future? Or Willem?

Okay back to homework...><
Old 04-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #162
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Admittedly it is a long real world time since the brothers were in Bree which is largely my fault however her Dad only went up to Bree when the brothers weren't back as expected so there is a window of opportunity there. Filbert knows Edwin was the ringleader and when I left Erling he was asking Filbert what was going on. The remainder of the group may have got back to Bree by now.

So it may well be that the fact that only Jess and Edwin are still missing is only just known in Bree and if Edwin's dad is self pitying and self concerned he may just be coming up to speed. Do imagine a conversation if you wish. I don't think Erling would blame Edwin but he might get a bit annoyed that HIS sons are out in the Snow on the downs doing the looking while E's dad is moping. And of course he has already lost the family he was born into - though that isn't widely known, and Jess is the pet lamb so he may not be very sympathetic.

Oh you did have Edwin worry about what his mother would do when he got back (post 17!!)so that should be changed to Father (I read through over the fourday weekend!!! )Don't feel bad -not your fault Jessamy came with such a large supporting cast.

As to the future I have been a bit stumped because Bree is such an isolated, limited place and Jess would need very strong reason to cause so much upset again. She would definitely want to keep up with Karl. She might have learnt a trade and be "let out"! to go to a market in the Shire or somewhere and use it as a cover to visit the Elves or something - but I can't imagine what dire danger she might meet there.

Perhaps if her father died in the interim, her mother would be very keen to have her "settled" (ie married) and Jess would be very keen not to be. With her father gone and brothers mainly by then more occupied by her own families she might have a huge row with her mother and make a bid for freedom - maybe go south and try to see where her father came from. That would be potentially more dangerous but exactly how it would manifest I don't know,

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 04-27-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:23 PM   #163
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Yes I can imagine him not having any patience for Edwin's dad! Who really needs a name...

And thanks for pointing out I mentioned a mother! I wasn't sure if I had...might have mentioned plural parents too... Can't believe it took me over a year to come up with what was waiting for Edwin at home...

Quote:
she might have a huge row with her mother and make a bid for freedom - maybe go south and try to see where her father came from. That would be potentially more dangerous but exactly how it would manifest I don't know
Well that definitely sounds like it has potential! Finding out half her heritage...some mystery to it perhaps hehe. If Edwin could work as a sort of encouragement for that? I see him wanting to get out of Bree, you know, get away from home and whatever reputation he might have there heh... So he might seize on that as a good excuse/somewhere to go. I don't know, I could see him maintaining a sort of awkward friendship with Jess, where he doesn't like anyone knowing they can get along and share things in common but he likes her and can confide certain things in her.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #164
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I had a vague idea that between them they might have a "what happened on the Downs, stays on the Downs" policy and that if she does not broadcasting that Edwin spent most of the adventure unconscious (and she hasn't really made that clear to even her brothers as yet) she might have a little leverage with Edwin in the future if she ever needed his help. So yes that would work.

Names ..yes well since it started out as an informal RPG I didn't worry so much about plausibility and merely ripped off the likes of "Precious Bane" and "Cold Comfort Farm"

Old 04-27-2011, 10:50 PM   #165
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Haha, yes definitely a "what happened on the Downs, stays on the Downs" policy... Yea she has serious leverage. I also forgot he got sprayed by a skunk so should still smell like heck, woops. (And also I've managed to bring two animals into this RP which aren't in Tolkien's homeland...oh the uncanonicity!)

I hope I was right in assuming that we were going to continue with this little stall for a bit before getting them moving toward town. (And then an accident gets them stuck, too? Or should we just have them get back since we're already drawing things out?)

Feel free to sketch out a plot for the next adventure if you get the inspiration, Mith! I think it would be cool and fitting if Jess was sort of the start of the next one.

Also I'd like to apologize that I always start these RPGs and then have characters that fall out of the story or take supporting roles and can't lead or direct things...not that I want to be in control, but I feel like I leave a lot of the 'burden' of moving things along to others because of that...
Old 04-28-2011, 01:43 AM   #166
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I don't know what is happening now. I think I had better go back and edit my last post to fit because it doesn't really fit with the following ones. I'll try and do that today since if I don't it prolly won't be til at least Saturday hangover permitting. But I relaly feel a bit clueless at the moment. Plotting isn't really my thing...

Last edited by Mithalwen; 04-28-2011 at 02:34 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:14 AM   #167
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin View Post
(And also I've managed to bring two animals into this RP which aren't in Tolkien's homeland...oh the uncanonicity!)
Maggot had dogs, if you're referring to them.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:31 AM   #168
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Hi Galadriel, I think Dury is referring to the skunk and the porcupine which are not native to Britain though possibly the porcupine is to South Africa. Neither are bears any more (apart from the ones that hang around street corners waiting for people to tread on the cracks in the pavement).

Old 04-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #169
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Yep, those two critters...

Oh dear, what did I mess up? You shouldn't have to edit your post. The boys suggested Willem and Karl go back with them, and then Willem basically said they should wait until Duke is de-quilled (so essentially accepting that he and Karl will go back with them), and in the meantime...

But duh, I forgot to write Seth into my post. I'll edit! Sorry, shouldn't have posted that late at night...
Old 04-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #170
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Yep, those two critters...

But duh, I forgot to write Seth into my post. I'll edit! Sorry, shouldn't have posted that late at night...
Seth isn't a problem. I need space for Silas to say or think something before he is taken into the caravan if they are staying. Sorry but he said that he really felt they should go home and been ignored/overruled which isn't a problem itself but it feels wrong that he is just doing as he is told without a quibble. He isn't a six year old, he is a grown man and is very conscious of the family waiting at home. Also the brothers have brought their own provisions which they would surely offer to share if they are camping. Can you split your post to let him respond maybe before taking him off to the caravan? Cheers. As it is I dont' know what to do with him that makes any sense to me.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 04-28-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #171
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Oh totally, understood. Sorry. I actually had left it with just Edwin considering things and nothing about actually going in to the caravan, but then added on... It seems like whenever I decide to 'move things ahead' in my posts it ends up at the wrong time... XD
Old 04-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #172
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

No, sorry to be a grump. I was already thrown a bit when Envinyatar, having said that he thought one of the brothers should get them on the road, then kept the group in place when I had one of them suggest it! So I jsut wanted a bit of clarification about where I was meant to be going and then when Silas got carried off it all felt out of joint. Anyway I will sort him out in a minute.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #173
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Mith

Hmmm . . .

I don't see any reason for you to edit your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen re:Silas/Jessamy
"I don't know, Bryn, Jessie's done in, maybe we should get on our way straight away - it's getting late and the sooner she is safe home the better . "

. . . but the reviving effects of the tea and biscuits had worn off and she rested wearily against Silas . . .
That's what I cued in on. And the offer to take Jess and Edwin into the caravan was more to get them warmer. I then added:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me re: staying the night
‘The night’s dark is well upon us,’ he said. ‘And it looks like the snow is starting to come down more heavily.’ His hands gestured about the small camp. ‘You’re more than welcome to share this little camp . . . if you wish.’
The brothers can still make the decision to leave - it was only an offer. But with the dark and the convenient change in the weather so it's snowing more heavily they could choose to wait 'til day.

It's still up the Silas and his brothers at this point what happens.

No one's gone into the caravan - they're still standing about as they were . . .
Old 04-28-2011, 06:00 PM   #174
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Dury has edited in the interim so they aren't. I just haven't done my post yet. I will try to now if hte caffeine does its stuff.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #175
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Done, probably not worth the wait especially since Silas hasn't ended up saying much. Really sorry for getting ratty.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #176
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

You were not ratty! I hate when people trample over other people's characters in order to move on or accomplish what they had in mind... I just wasn't thinking.

Okey......yea can't think of anything else to make this post accomplish anything more.

I've been thinking about our sequel for this though and will write some ideas down soon. I really have to work to be coherent sometimes...
Old 05-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #177
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
I've been thinking about our sequel for this though and will write some ideas down soon. I really have to work to be coherent sometimes...
Ooh exciting.... but no I do feel I overreacted and feel bad because of the state of flux rl is in at the moment I couldn't cope well with feeling out of control here too. Which is really unfair to take it out on you guys when having this to escape to has been such a comfort.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #178
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

RL is intruding on my fun time at the moment!

I'll try to get a post up sometime tomorrow, most likely later than sooner.

Mith - ain't real life grand sometimes... Feel free to over-react as needed or throw some horrid monster at us - rend us stem to stern...

Looking forward to seeing your ideas, Dury
Old 05-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #179
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Bless you, I suspect I am already the horrid monster. Take your time, and take care of yourself until RL starts behaving itself.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:50 AM   #180
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sorry, sorry, sorry... I'm back after dealing with the end of the semester and graduation and have some time on my hands...so I will get back into the whole RPing thing! Maybe it's time for some caffeine so I can get started on that...
Old 05-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #181
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

No need to apologise! Congratulations! Assuming that Master Envinyatar's Real Life continues to take priority, shall we do something with the fathers back in Bree. I feel I should do something that end...

I did think that Bryn might have taken some fireworks to signal back to base but if it is snowing again they wouldn't be seen so I guess they will be sweating it out.

As for a final fright... I was reading some stuff about Herne the Hunter which led to finding about "the Wild Hunt" ... it would be about the right time of the year - in the UK it was meant to happen around Halloween though elsewhere it would be Yule:
"When the winter winds blow and the Yule fires are lit, it is best to stay indoors, safely shut away from the dark paths and the wild heaths. Those who wander out by themselves during the Yule-nights may hear a sudden rustling through the tops of the trees - a rustling that might be the wind, though the rest of the wood is still.

"But then the barking of dogs fills the air, and the host of wild souls sweeps down, fire flashing from the eyes of the black hounds and the hooves of the black horses"

It seems it needn't be personally fatal to the obsever if they avoid looking at it but is a harbinger of fairly major disaster like war or pestilence and since we are at the point where Sauron is searching the Anduin and Bilbo is shortly to go off on his adventures it might be relevant. Anyway .let me know what you think.....at least I think they need a meal first ..I found it quite scary and they might lose their appetites.... Which reminds me I am expected elsewhere for supper... laters...

Old 06-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #182
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Well I fail.

Something with the fathers sounds like it'd be very interesting! I'll figure out Edwin's dad and get a post up soon, and if you feel like it you can post for Jess and the boys' father. But it can just as easily be a lone post if we get the kids, Willem, and Karl going again.

Also that sounds like a brilliant idea to me, the spotting of a black horseman...

I need to get my head back into RP stuff and get some ideas fleshed out for a 'sequel'...

And thank you for the congrats!
Old 06-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #183
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Yay... I knew I owed you a lot of patience after my months of absence but I was beginning to fret and am happy to see you back. Hope Envinyatar is alright...

I'll send Silas out with the provisions so Jess can fill in some of the details
Might be several black horsement - foretaste of the Nazgul!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Hunt

Old 06-21-2011, 06:08 PM   #184
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

sorry Dury I will get a reply done tomorrow.

Envinyatar - if youhappen tobe lurking, do you have any preference as to whether Jessamy realises the connection between William and the bear or if you have plans for this information to be known another way or saved for the next episode in their adventures. But don't feel pressured if RL is too pressured.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #185
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

No, no apology, I was supposed to do a post for the dads anyway but I haven't bothered.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #186
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Thumbs up

Quick reply from a friend's computer (mine has uttered it's last gasp - will have a new one up and running soon...money, money, money, sigh...has to be scraped together for the one I want.....)

It's fine if Jessamy figures out the connection. Will she share it with the others, I wonder. Or keep it secret.

Must get off and go home now. Will look in when I can
Old 06-23-2011, 04:06 AM   #187
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Yay!!!!! But condolences on the 'puter's demise. What a nuisance. Good luck with the scraping, rummaging around the back of the sofa. etc..

I think unless forced by circumstances she would keep it to herself. I don't think she would trust her brothers or Edwin to "be cool about it". Karl, already an outsider himself, might be a possibility especially if she thought he knew already. William has helped and protected her and I think she would feel obliged to return the favour... not that her inclination wouldn't be that way anyway. I suspect she will be delighted if her instant conviction that Willem is a bit "magical" is confirmed but I won't really find out til I try and write it....

Old 06-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #188
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

I tossed something out about Edwin's father who's apparently named Tate. I am so awful with names. Anyway, let me know if it's a good enough lead in to a possible (ridiculous) conversation of sorts. I mentioned Erling 'standing over' him so let me know if I should change that.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #189
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Yes I think I can do something with that. Assuming that Tate would perceive any comment as berating.... What sort of shop does he have?

Old 06-23-2011, 06:50 PM   #190
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Yea, he probably would. Hahah. Not that he's really a formed character... Oh yea, I glossed over that didn't I...totally not on purpose because I'm completely un-creative... I was actually thinking he was a cobbler at one point. So he has a cobbler's workshop that may or may not be at the front of his house. Yea.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:05 PM   #191
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Yes Dury of course you are uncreative.... Right ho..well will skim back over what I have already posted for ERling and try andpost tomorrow but I won't guaruntee it as have a ton of stuff to do and then taking my godson out.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:29 PM   #192
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

OK well I will try and do Jessie tomorrow but Sunday is more likely. I may slot it in before the post for Erling. Let me know if I need to change anything.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:57 AM   #193
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Just to let you know I'll be gone from the 14th-19th!

Maybe when I get back we can talk about that sequel again.

Hope life is treating you well, Mith, Evinyatar!
Old 07-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #194
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Sorry I keep meaning ot post then get distracted. but I am nearly there... Sorry I am so damn lazy. I have been thinking about it a lot but forget that I can't just get the puter to process my thoughts... I have also been thinking about the sequel but haven't got much further than the circumstances that might conspire to make Jess leave. Anyway... I should maybe stop talking about the post in hand and get on with it... and hope Envinyatar will be able to join us soon

Old 07-20-2011, 12:57 PM   #195
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I Thought reviewing events for Edwin's benefit might lead Jessamy to twig about Willem - but he will have to agree to her conditions.

Let me know if I need to change anything particularly as concerns Edwin's dad - I amy have made too many assumptions. Such as Cassy being dead rather than otherwise lost.

There is another mother reference in p23 you might want to correct in case anyone else reads this.

Hope you enjoyed your gallivanting!!

Last edited by Mithalwen; 07-20-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:30 PM   #196
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Oh geez...thanks Mith for noticing another reference. I should read the whole thread over but I kind of dread doing that for fear of noticing all the discrepancies on my part...

But yes, I was thinking Cassy was dead. Illness when Edwin was very young or something.

I really should read the thread over and maybe get some ideas about Part 2...you been thinking about it at all, Mith?

And thank you, I did enjoy my adventure! Except for it being very humid and getting lots of bug bites... Great company though so it was fun.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #197
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I don't know what insects live on when I am not around. I left Venice with bites the size of fifty pence pieces all over my arms and looked like I had a medieaval disease. Awful. So the next time I went to somewhere hot and insecty (Florida Everglades) I covered myself with so much DEET all the lettering came off camera. I daren't ever go somewhere they have malaria. But it is so cold here I might be grateful for any warmth - I even turned the central heating back on yesterday.

Anyway hmm I don't know... I can see clearly circumstances which would cause Jessamy to leave, stifled and unappreciated but after not sure... as far as I have found out so far any survivors of Tharbad pretty much hid themselves away in teh Eryn Vorn so if they found noone around there they might carry on south. Now if I have got the dates right Thengel is Lord of Rohan and Saruman is starting to cause trouble for them having declared himself Lord of Isengard and started causing trouble. Might get something out of that? Dunlendings maybe... Plot isn't my strongest suit.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:28 PM   #198
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sorry for being MIA for a bit! Have you had some warm days up there yet? We've finally been having some pleasant days in the upper 80s rather than upper 90s

Posted for Tate and Edwin; I'll try to do a post for Karl soon, too.

As for Part 2! I suppose it depends on how many years we want to skip ahead in their lives. From what I found online, Saruman claims Isengard in 2953. So that would be 14 years. It would certainly work fine, except that it might be unrealistic that Jessamy's avoided marriage for that long.

I'm sure we can assume there's other trouble stirring in the meantime, as well...

I suppose for Edwin the is his father dying, once his liver gives out. Edwin would want to move on, probably, to get away from his father's legacy. And because of his friendship with Karl, who also doesn't belong in Bree. So he'll maybe convince Karl to finally move on to somewhere else, travel further since he doesn't really have a home there to begin with.

I'm having these ideas that really aren't very lore-friendly. I'm thinking it would be too much for (one of) them to have a run in with a Black Rider and (of course no one takes them seriously round Bree)...then I guess there's two possibilities. The more realistic (by a little) is them being afraid it's after them and wanting to flee their little town so it won't terrorize people or something. The other might be that they want to find out what it is and warn someone important about it. But I'm not entirely sure where that would send them.

Sauron didn't know Bilbo had the ring until 3017ish, but I imagine the Nazgul were up to something at this point. I imagine they could have been searching for the ring rather than just sitting around in Minas Morgul? But each on their own, not in a group, and scattered all over.

I know we were talking about the last fright maybe being seeing a Black Rider, so it might be redundant. But it also might make it all the more concerning for whoever runs in to the Black Rider (sees it, speaks to it?) that this Rider has been around before.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #199
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
*sticks her nose in*

I'm butting in again. Sorry. But I had an idea. What about a visit to the mysterious Deadmen's Dike, aka Fornost?

*disappears*
Old 08-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #200
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Do you wait for the rare evening when I am gallivanting?

Fornost Erain is a possibility but need motivation for going there... . *yawns* sorry a bit late for me but it is nice of you to take an interest Gally - though possibly inhibiting to thing someone actually reads this..

I'll answer properly when I have slept. Lovely to see you back....