Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #3281
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot View Post
Nope... he's still Nydfara to them. And the only other person who knows anything (Erbrand, I think) is gone.
I really think Rowenna has to stumble into him somehow. Just feels like it's meant to be.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:29 AM   #3282
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Oh, that looks just very interesting, but just as I predicted, the storm of events comes just when I am not available... I had barely time to read this, I am now just popping at the computer for literally few hours and it looks like I won't be able to post basically until close to the end of August. Well, let's see how it goes - I can always post just some retrospective evaluation of stuff on Hilderinc's part. However then I should be able to post normally and since by the close of August I'll be spending most of my time with studying for philosophy exam, I surely would use good breaks and could get on some posting spree myself.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 07-11-2011, 11:53 AM   #3283
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Not that I am in the middle of the action here or anything but wanted to let everyone know that I will be gone from the 14th-19th.

So, Foley, I would really like to have Coen and Thornden interact here just as Eodwine has returned (and Coen is in the hall with the men so it'd make sense) but it'd have to be brief otherwise I'll leave you hanging for a while... I'm sure there will be time later, I won't be gone that long hehe.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:34 PM   #3284
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
I really think Rowenna has to stumble into him somehow. Just feels like it's meant to be.
Agreed.

It doesn't look like I'm going to be able to get anything up tonight, but definitely tomorrow I'm going to get posts up for both Leof and Scyld.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:11 PM   #3285
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Durelin, I agree that it'd be fun to do some interaction between Coen and Thornden. If you get a chance to post before I have, go right ahead. I don't know when I'll get to post - this week at camp is really crazy. I wanted to today, but didn't get a chance, and who knows what tomorrow will bring. Maybe if I wake up early and can't get back to sleep, I'll post. Don't hold your breath. Sleep is a precious commodity around here.

EDIT: Never mind all that fuss. I actually just bit the bullet, stayed up past lights-out time, and wrote a post. I have no doubt it is poorly written, and I may revise it in time, but I'd thought I'd through it up so that if you have itme, Durelin, you can post. The conversation is open enough, I figure, Coen can get in somehow.

-- Foley

Last edited by Folwren; 07-11-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:35 AM   #3286
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Poorly written my foot.

Obviously, I must identify with Eodwine a lot - Thornden's good thoughts about him just about choked me up.

Firefoot - I thought so - starting with post 198 there has already been an exchange between "Nydfara" and Rowenna, and others. Might want to check it out. I will in more depth too.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 07-12-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #3287
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Obviously, I must identify with Eodwine a lot - Thornden's good thoughts about him just about choked me up.
Ah, how sweet.

Quote:
Firefoot - I thought so - starting with post 198 there has already been an exchange between "Nydfara" and Rowenna, and others. Might want to check it out. I will in more depth too.
I thought so. I seem to have remembered it quite clearly. Didn't she slap him?
Old 07-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #3288
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Ah yes, I remember the slap. How endearing of her.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #3289
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I just love to see things happening.

Yay for all!

Lord Athanar will be busy looking after the last works on the renovation as the winter is coming (it's like runnnig against time as any day could be the first day of winter), but I think there should be a feast in the honour of Eodwine coming back in the evening ordered by Athanar.

So you can take it for granted he has ordered the people in the kitchen to prepare for it.

I'll try to have time to involve Stigend and Garstan as well. But if anyone sees a natural way to include them with their character meanwhile - or Cnebba & the other kids - please be welcome to do it.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:20 PM   #3290
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

It's mid December...December13, I believe. They are about a month into winter, are they not? At least? We've described hard frosts, freezing wind, and snow...

-- Foley
Old 07-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #3291
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
It's mid December...December13, I believe. They are about a month into winter, are they not? At least? We've described hard frosts, freezing wind, and snow...
Heh, I thought it was a bit earlier (even if not much), but it comes down to what kind of climate we think Rohan has... I mean if you come to the central or northern Finland, December is more often than not wintertime with snow on the ground "permanently" and temperatures below freezing, but in Helsinki it has not been so for decades (on average - not counting the last two years which have been like back in the seventies) - and if you go to the Central Europe, it's not winter that early as if there is winter at all it is January & February... I don't know how it works in the States though.

But what I mean is, that in up North you will have a Winter where it is snow, ice and below freezing for months - and thus some freezing wind or occasional snow doesn't make a winter. But what is our idea of a Rohanian "winter"? I think we haven't thought about it yet and have our own unreflected ideas about it - and I can see I have myself been too sloppy about it.

Maybe we should exchange some views about the winter of Rohan, just to be on the same page?
Old 07-12-2011, 09:43 PM   #3292
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Ha...I vote for somewhere in between a Canadian or Finlandish winter and Florida/Italy.

I guess I was picturing it with a winter kind of like England or Ireland...not that I know much about winter there, but I do not think it is too severe. Not a great deal of snow, some freezing weather, ice, frost, etc. I dunno.

About my last post - it is clumsily done, Durelin, but I have engaged Coenred in conversation.

Firefoot, Quin is talking with Leof. Feel free to keep that conversation going and use NPCs for more conversation and comments from the men. I'll keep playing Quin with you, too.

-- Foley
Old 07-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #3293
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Folwren - will do.

My thoughts about the weather were pretty similar. My impression is that the Shire doesn't get a whole lot of snow, and Rohan is even further south, though more in the mountains. So definitely cold, with some snow, ice, etc.

Scyld has been brought back into the mix. It took me quite a while to get going with him (a couple hours), but once I got going I found there was quite a bit to say... but it's getting late so I cut the post off. I'm imagining him sticking around in the Great Hall with the soldiers though.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:21 AM   #3294
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
Next thing he’d be fluttering and sighing (or crying, as had been the case lately) over the hall romances like the kitchen girls.
Ouch. Nothing stays secret in the kitchen, huh?

I'm so happy to see Scyld again.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:24 AM   #3295
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien placed Rohan in the same kind of latitude as southern France. The White Mountains serve Eorling climate pretty much the way the Pyrenees and Alps serve southern France. Of course, Rohan has no Mediterranean so the winters might be less temperate.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #3296
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Hiya all, again sorry for my absence but I have been and will be busy. Anyway, Lhuna and LMP managed to get me to write a pm post with them so I wrote a little something for Modtryth today, and will try to keep up with stuff then (Modtryth seems to have been quite busy while I've been away ). Also, next week I will write for Wulfric and/or Wilheard, reveal what became of Wulfric's thoughts to go see Faramund and probably have them return from a hunting trip or something like that to Eodwine's homecoming - and also hopefully write a little something for Cnebba as what I wrote for Modtryth implied the boys have been up to some mischief again...
Old 07-14-2011, 06:06 PM   #3297
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Hiya all, again sorry for my absence but I have been and will be busy. Anyway, Lhuna and LMP managed to get me to write a pm post with them so I wrote a little something for Modtryth today, and will try to keep up with stuff then (Modtryth seems to have been quite busy while I've been away ). Also, next week I will write for Wulfric and/or Wilheard, reveal what became of Wulfric's thoughts to go see Faramund and probably have them return from a hunting trip or something like that to Eodwine's homecoming - and also hopefully write a little something for Cnebba as what I wrote for Modtryth implied the boys have been up to some mischief again...
Excellent. I am excited about everything above, Lommy. I was curious about the boys, too, but didn't feel like coming up with something. It would be amazing if you did write for them. Is Javan amongst the mischief makers?

I am also impatient to see this co-post that keeps being spoken about, between Elempi, Lhuna, and now you! It is a million pages long by now, or are you all just taking your time about writing it?

-- Folwren
Old 07-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #3298
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I ran out of time while writing my post, but I wanted to get it up... I'm not too clear on how swearing fealty works myself, so if need be I can edit the last few lines of my post if it doesn't make sense in context. Someone who has greater knowledge than me can let me know...
Old 07-14-2011, 07:50 PM   #3299
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
I am also impatient to see this co-post that keeps being spoken about, between Elempi, Lhuna, and now you! It is a million pages long by now, or are you all just taking your time about writing it?
No, it is not long. We've just been busy with other things so not much time has been devoted to writing it. But it's coming.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:14 PM   #3300
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Eodwine will soon assure everyone that what he has done is best, and he will restore order, if order must be restored.
I got a kick out of this. Durelin, you could really have Coen catch Thornden in his words here if you wanted to....

Actually, "fealty" as such may not be an appropriate concept for the Eorling setting. It automatically means feudal law and relationships. It would be more appropriate to simply say that Eodwine swore an oath of loyalty.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #3301
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Ack. Not fair to take advantage of dialogue written by a sleep-deprived camp-person.

What's so wrong with what he said, anyway?

-- Foley
Old 07-14-2011, 08:45 PM   #3302
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Firefoot, that post was amazing! Your talk among the men was so realistic it made me mad.

I decided Thornden wouldn't sit nearby and let them talk about Saeryn like that, so please work this in between these two paragraphs of your post somehow:

Quote:
“Hold your tongue,” Thornden said severely. His eyes clapped onto the last soldier who had spoken. “If you cannot speak respectfully of Lady Saeryn, then don’t speak at all.” He glanced about the table, taking them all in. “Another word in a similar thought, and I’ll see the man outside.” After a pause, he turned again to Coenred and they took up their conversation once more.
Quote:
“Enjoy it better if you weren’t sick,” someone chimed in, and the laughter rose louder. Léof felt distinctly uncomfortable hearing the Lady Saeryn discussed this way, and he wished he had a way of turning the conversation back to Eodwine. Fortunately, someone else did it for him.

“What I’d like to know is, why didn’t Lord Athanar formally accept Eodwine’s pledge? He said they had many things to discuss. That sounds to me like it’s not really over.”
Old 07-15-2011, 03:54 AM   #3303
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Ack. Not fair to take advantage of dialogue written by a sleep-deprived camp-person.

What's so wrong with what he said, anyway?

-- Foley
Nothing SO wrong. .... it's just not Eodwine's place to be restoring order - that's the eorl's responsibility.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:27 AM   #3304
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Elempi, do you mind attaching our co-post (with Lommy) before your post for Rowenna?
Old 07-15-2011, 08:50 AM   #3305
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Folwren - paragraph inserted. I like the flow of the post a lot better now - it was really missing that.

I also switched out the word "fealty" for "loyalty."
Old 07-15-2011, 10:13 AM   #3306
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen View Post
Elempi, do you mind attaching our co-post (with Lommy) before your post for Rowenna?
Done. Okay, I guess it did get a wee bit long....

Working many hours - will see about a post for Rowenna some time today yet.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #3307
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
Done. Okay, I guess it did get a wee bit long....
Haha, you're right. And at that rate you even left out the last part where Eodwine replies to Modtryth.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #3308
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
it's just not Eodwine's place to be restoring order - that's the eorl's responsibility.
Let's see if he hears about it... and when? He's busy with the planning right now as the winter is coming / upon them - and they need to do everything they can when they still can: if there is a cold season coming for good they need to be prepared and many a works are still undone. Expect the craftsmen being called to him - well at least Stigend and Garstan - if someone wishes to bring the smiths to a meeting, feel free to say so. I'll try to make up a post on the issue during the weekend and it would be nice to have company with it.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:31 PM   #3309
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Hopefully there will be no order to restore. Thornden was just sayin' 'what if'. I don't even think we'll have to worry about it. I guess we'll find out when Dury gets back.

-- Foley
Old 07-16-2011, 07:09 AM   #3310
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen View Post
Haha, you're right. And at that rate you even left out the last part where Eodwine replies to Modtryth.
Oops. Fixed.

Sorry for not posting last night. RL suddenly became very important.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:17 PM   #3311
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I've posted for Rowenna and Eodwine. Next posting opportunities fall to Foley and Lhuna respectively.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:51 AM   #3312
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Elempi,

If you would like, you can go ahead and have Saeryn tell Rowenna what has happened, if that will help you further your post. In my post, I considered just going over it very briefly, in a couple of sentences, saying Saeryn told Rowenna what the problem was. If you want to go ahead and have her do that so that Rowenna can more fully answer her, that's fine.

-- Foley
Old 07-17-2011, 02:13 PM   #3313
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Elempi, I have taken quite a few liberties with Eodwine's actions in my post. Feel free to slap my writing hand (lightly please) and make corrections.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #3314
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Not in the least, Lhuna. He's very much in character. Nicely done.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #3315
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

The post I just posted is a co-post between Elempi and I.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:54 AM   #3316
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Back to you Foley.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #3317
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Now we need someone to take up the thoughts of Athanar's group. Oh, I suppose Quin could do that now that the cat's out of the bag. Poor Léof.

I have three posts to write. But not tonight. Bed time soon since I'm working at least 10 hrs a day. Sorry.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #3318
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
I got a kick out of this. Durelin, you could really have Coen catch Thornden in his words here if you wanted to....
Yea Coen reacted quite strongly when I read that haha... There still opportunity to respond? I know I've been gone a bit... If so I'll try to asap, running off a few hours sleep atm...
Old 07-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #3319
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Yes, there is still time to respond. Thornden and Coenred have not gone anywhere and there are still men talking around the breakfast table.

I look forward to your response.

-- Foley
Old 07-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #3320
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Well, I wasn't sure if I could bring Rowenna round to supporting Saeryn's view on this, ambition or no ambition. Turns out Rowenna's calculating nature may be getting the best of them both. I hope you're happy, Foley.