The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-27-2007, 06:59 AM   #1
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe The Tramp/Wizard Link

Ever noticed how many tramps look like Wizards?

As I was telling Mr Hookbill recently, there are two tramps who hang around the cider-soaked open air drinking establishment that is the shopping area by my office, who bear an uncanny resemblance to Gandalf. One may in fact not be a tramp as I have never seen him clutching two litres of Special Red nor begging money with menaces, but he hangs around all day, in a slightly dreamlike state, drifting in and out of the Co-op and Thorntons like a tall, hairy fairy. He wears socks with his Jesus sandals too, which is intriguing - I thought that trend went out with my old German teacher and the 1980s...

But the other is definitely a tramp.

Anyway last night I caught a bus that had come from Chesterfield and was delighted to find that it contained two more Gandalf Tramps!

Is there some kind of wizard/tramp mathematical formula gving you the probability that any given tramp will be wizard-like?

Or is something quite sinister going on round here?

Am I very close to Diagon Alley or something?

Have the Sheffield floods brought some Istari on an urgent mission, sailing down the swollen Don on the front passenger door of an abandoned Ford Mondeo?
Old 06-27-2007, 07:40 AM   #2
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė
One may in fact not be a tramp as I have never seen him clutching two litres of Special Red nor begging money with menaces, but he hangs around all day, in a slightly dreamlike state, drifting in and out of the Co-op and Thorntons like a tall, hairy fairy.
As it happens that was me. I was trying to find your office to take you for a quick lunch...or is that supper....dinner? Luncheon? Tea? (What kind of a people name a meal after a drink, anyway?)
Fordim Hedgethistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:40 AM   #3
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Perhaps there is a connection. The term 'to tramp' and 'tramping' is used in The Lord of the Rings several times to describe wandering around in the open for long periods of time. Gandalf most certainly did this, having no fixed abode and this is often one of the criticisms made of him.

Let us not forget, also, that one of Wormtongs' insults to ol' Gandalf is "... and you, the most beggar like of them all..." Which suggests that wizardry and tramp...ery?... were connected in some way. Or was it perhaps just Gandalf's lifestyle? Radagast the Brown can't have been that much better; living in the forest and all. And as for the Blue wizards, who can say.

In conclusion...

Gandalf should shave his eyebrows a bit...
Old 06-27-2007, 08:05 AM   #4
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim
As it happens that was me. I was trying to find your office to take you for a quick lunch...or is that supper....dinner? Luncheon? Tea? (What kind of a people name a meal after a drink, anyway?)
A hard-drinking people

Have you got a long beard, long hair, tweed jacket with greasy elbows and a faint whiff of cider about you?

It certainly wouldn't be supper anyway - you don't see me for dust come 4 or 5pm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill
Perhaps there is a connection. The term 'to tramp' and 'tramping' is used in The Lord of the Rings several times to describe wandering around in the open for long periods of time. Gandalf most certainly did this, having no fixed abode and this is often one of the criticisms made of him.

Let us not forget, also, that one of Wormtongs' insults to ol' Gandalf is "... and you, the most beggar like of them all..." Which suggests that wizardry and tramp...ery?... were connected in some way. Or was it perhaps just Gandalf's lifestyle? Radagast the Brown can't have been that much better; living in the forest and all. And as for the Blue wizards, who can say.

In conclusion...

Gandalf should shave his eyebrows a bit...
You see, this is proof positive that we should all be kinder to tramps! Next time one of 'em goes "yergotfiftypeeferracupoteamate!" we ought to be aware as they may be secret bearers of firey rings....errr....

The Blue Wizards are the ones who scream obscenities at the pigeons...I'm just not going to go there with regard to the Brown Wizards...
Old 06-27-2007, 02:22 PM   #5
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Ever noticed how many tramps look like Wizards?

As I was telling Mr Hookbill recently, there are two tramps who hang around the cider-soaked open air drinking establishment that is the shopping area by my office, who bear an uncanny resemblance to Gandalf. One may in fact not be a tramp as I have never seen him clutching two litres of Special Red nor begging money with menaces, but he hangs around all day, in a slightly dreamlike state, drifting in and out of the Co-op and Thorntons like a tall, hairy fairy. He wears socks with his Jesus sandals too, which is intriguing - I thought that trend went out with my old German teacher and the 1980s...

But the other is definitely a tramp.

Anyway last night I caught a bus that had come from Chesterfield and was delighted to find that it contained two more Gandalf Tramps!

Is there some kind of wizard/tramp mathematical formula gving you the probability that any given tramp will be wizard-like?

Or is something quite sinister going on round here?

Am I very close to Diagon Alley or something?

Have the Sheffield floods brought some Istari on an urgent mission, sailing down the swollen Don on the front passenger door of an abandoned Ford Mondeo?

I know who you mean for I have seen him too and I thought he looked like Gandalf! He is very tall as well, around 6 foot 4 I would think. I don't think that he is homeless but he always seems to be wearing a smile and drifting around aimlessly (or perhaps that is what he wants us to think?). I am so glad someone else has seen him and put 2 and 2 together as I thought my girlfriend and I were the only ones!

Quote:
You see, this is proof positive that we should all be kinder to tramps! Next time one of 'em goes "yergotfiftypeeferracupoteamate!" we ought to be aware as they may be secret bearers of firey rings....errr....

The Blue Wizards are the ones who scream obscenities at the pigeons...I'm just not going to go there with regard to the Brown Wizards...?
You have it wrong, the Blue Wizards are the two who as you if you can lend them 10p for the bus (what bus are they catching for 10p anyway?)