The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-01-2003, 08:17 PM   #1
sindalomewen36

Tolkien Whose ur favorite actor/actress?or character

Mine r Elijah Wood, and...my fav characters from the books r probably sam and frodo.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:42 PM   #2
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

kittiewhirl1677 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiewhirl1677
Sting

Let's see... Actors(for who they were in the movie): Elijah Wood, Orlando Bloom, Viggo Mortensen... Characters from the book:<BR>Frodo, Aragorn, Eowyn, Gandalf.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:18 PM   #3
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting

Best actor? John Ryies Davis!!!!<P>Best Character? Probably Legolas<P>Himaran
Himaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 06:43 AM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Character: Faramir, Denethor, Eomer, Beregond, Aragorn, Isildur, Theoden, Grima, Imrahil, Boromir.<P>Actor: John Noble, David Wenham, Karl Urban, Craig Parker, Bernard Hill, Brad Dourif, Viggo Mortenson, that dude who plays Beregond, that dude who plays Imrahil, Harry Sinclair, Sean Bean.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:41 AM   #5
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Character: Bilbo<P>Actor: Tough call. I think my favourite acting in the series is the interaction between Ian Holm and Ian McKellen in Bag End.<P>Sean Bean's Boromir runs a very close second though.<P>H.C.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:07 AM   #6
Arpinor Romenel

Sting

gosh, that's real tough...<BR>Actor: tie- Viggo Mortensen & Orlando Bloom (i've seen a ton of their movies)<BR>Characters: easy- Aragorn, Eowyn, Pippin, Merry & SAM!!!!
Old 04-02-2003, 04:04 PM   #7
Peri
Wight

Peri has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Best actor? Hmm...Ian McKellen did a great job. Best character would have to be Aragorn. He's just like I pictured him.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:25 PM   #8
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Character would have to be Faramir. I've always liked Faramir. Boromir takes a rather close second.<P>Actor would be Sean Bean. Always been a fan of his. Ian McKellan did beautifully as well. I can't think of anyone but those two in the parts of Boromir and Gandalf, respectively.
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 07:27 PM   #9
BethoHOG
Haunting Spirit

BethoHOG has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to BethoHOG
Sting

<B>Best Actor:</B> Elijah Wood, Sean Astin<BR><B>Best Character:</B> Frodo, Samwise, and Legolas
Old 04-03-2003, 02:19 AM   #10
Estel Samwise

Silmaril

Best actor: Sean Astin<P>Best Character: SAMWISE and Legolas.<P>Sean potrays Sam so well. Sensitive,totaly cute, great sence of humor. What more could you want in a guy?
Old 04-03-2003, 03:47 PM   #11
OddEvenstar
Pile O'Bones

OddEvenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to OddEvenstar
Silmaril

Best Actor: I gotta stick with Viggo. He was by far the most in touch with his role. I heard that PJ addressed him as Aragorn for two hours or so and he didn't even notice. There just seemed like a certain majesty and courage in his portrayal. David Wenham is a close runner-up; I absolutely loved the lines, "Then let it be forfeit."<P>Fav Character: SAMWISE GAMGEE. This somewhat "insignificant" hobbit is often overlooked!!! For his size and stature, he brings great loyalty to his quest. He often comes off as a rather foolish person, but when it comes down to protecting Frodo, he will stand his ground.<P>Note: ALL of Tolkien's characters and ALL of the movie cast members should be recognized, but these are just a FEW of my personal favs!
Old 04-04-2003, 08:35 AM   #12
Merenwen Telrúnya

Sting

Actors: Viggo , Orlando , Elijah (cutie!), Sean Bean and David Wenham<BR>Characters: Aragorn (love him 4ever ), Boromir (sooo sad when he's killed by that f*cking orc!! ), Faramir, Eowyn, Sam and Merry & Pippin (they're just fun! )<p>[ April 19, 2003: Message edited by: Merenwen Telrúnya ]
Old 04-04-2003, 11:00 AM   #13
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked all the actors, except for Elijah's portrayal of Frodo in some parts. For me and a lot of people, he made Frodo out to be a wimp. Change your facial expressions, man! My special favs, though, were all the hobbits.<P>In the books, I liked all the hobbits as well. Hmm, I wonder what my favourite ME species is?
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 11:23 AM   #14
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I liked all the actors, except for Elijah's portrayal of Frodo in some parts. For me and a lot of people, he made Frodo out to be a wimp. Change your facial expressions, man! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Three cheers for Horse-Maiden of the Shire! I agree completely! He seems like such a wimp! <P>My favourite actor would be Orlando Bloom/Legolas and my favourite actress would be Liv Tyler/Arwen ! And the same in the books .
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 06:09 PM   #15
Minyataurien
Pile O'Bones

Minyataurien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Favorite Actors/Actresses-Viggo Mortensen, Liv Tyler, Ian Mckellen, Orlando Bloom<BR>Favorite Charcaters-Aragorn, Gandalf, Gollum
Old 04-07-2003, 02:10 PM   #16
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

favorite actors- sean bean, hugo weaving and christopher lee (theyre the only three characters that turned out as i imagined). viggo mortensen= very good but bad accent<P>favourite character- has to be saruman or elrond.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:49 PM   #17
Liamtan

Sting

My favorite actor has to be Viggo, because of his fantastic sword play.<BR>I don't like Elijah, because he is too young to play Frodo imho. He's also kinda doing the same gestures over and over again.<BR>I didn't get why they nomineed Ian for the Oscar, because everybody could have been elected. He did nothing others didn't do.<P>In the book Faramir, Aragorn and Eomer were my favorites. I couldn't/can't stand Theoden.<p>[ April 07, 2003: Message edited by: Liamtan ]
Old 04-07-2003, 04:17 PM   #18
Faybevin Bombadil
Pile O'Bones

Faybevin Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Actors/Actress: ALL OF THEM ... fine ... Brad Dourif, Andy Serkis, whoever played Haldir (was that Karl Urban?), Hugo Weaving (seriously), and Orlando Bloom ... but they were alll sooo goood<P>Characters: Bilbo; <B>Tom Bombadil</B>-> ALL time favorite; Goldberry; Haldir; Faramir; Imrahil; Smeagol & Gollum; (does anyone else see them as two diferent characters)<P>Love,<BR>Faybevin<p>[ April 07, 2003: Message edited by: Faybevin Bombadil ]
Her golden locks flowed behind her, bare of beads or braids. Naked shoulders led to elegant sleeves of forest green whilst her skirt was made of the same. Golden sheer was tied bout her waist and her feet were bare and everdancing, her mouth open in sweetest song.
Faybevin Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 07:27 PM   #19
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged

Sting

Actors: Viggo, Whoever plays Eowyn(I can't remember her name for some reason, though I'll probably think of it after I post this)<BR>Sean Bean, Ian Holm, all of them I guess.<P>Characters: Boromir, Aragorn, Bilbo, Gandalf, Frodo, Sam, Eowyn, Eomer, Faramir,<BR>Legolas, Gimli, Elrond. But favorite characters from ALL of tolkiens writings aren't in tLotR, but the Silmarillion
Old 04-07-2003, 08:42 PM   #20
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My favorite actors from the movie have to be Sir Ian, Viggo, Elijah, Sean Astin, Billy, Dom, oh all of them (even Orlando)<P>Actresses: Miranda Otto (Eowyn, I wish I had her costumes) and Cate Blanchett<P>Charaters: How can I choose, I love them all (except for maybe Faramir, hope he gets better in the next film)
Old 04-10-2003, 02:53 PM   #21
Sea Tiger
Newly Deceased

Sea Tiger has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hard Choice!<BR>Movie: Arwen,Legolas,Aragorn,Gandalf,Gimli,Eowyn,and Sam<BR>Book: Arwen,Legolas,Galadriel,Aragorn,Gandalf,Eowyn,and Sam
Sea Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 06:02 PM   #22
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>whoever played Haldir (was that Karl Urban)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>No, that was Craig Parker. Karl Urban is Éomer.
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 07:18 PM   #23
Cibbwin
Wight

Cibbwin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
Sting

Actors: Sean Bean, Miranda Otto, Bernard Hill, John Rys-Davies, Viggo Mortensen, Ian McKellen, Hugo Weaving, Cate Blanchett<P>Favorite Characters: Boromir, Eowyn, Gimli, Elrond, Galadriel, Theoden, Grima, Luthien
Cibbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 07:19 PM   #24
Cibbwin
Wight

Cibbwin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
Sting

All the actors played their parts beautifully in my opinion, so I guess I like them all.
Cibbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 12:19 PM   #25
Faramir Fan
Haunting Spirit

Faramir Fan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Character...Faramir of course!<P>Actors: Billy and the two Seans
"A new character has come on the scene (I am sure I did not invent him, I did not even want him, though I like him, but there he came walking into the woods of Ithilien): Faramir, the brother of Boromir..." J.R.R. Tolkien, Letters No. 66
Faramir Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 01:39 PM   #26
NinjaFerret
Animated Skeleton

NinjaFerret has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NinjaFerret
Sting

Favorite actor for his work: Holla to my man John Rhys-Davies! <P>Humor, bravery, unquenchable spirit, respect for those who respect him, racial pride, and character that is much larger than his dwarven frame. <P>Rhys-Davies also rocked in Indiana Jones. He goes from an Arab to a dwarf. Plus, you can't beat his beard. Wish I could grow one... <P>You know, on second thought, forget it... Women with beards don't go over well in the human race. <P>Also, Elijah Wood:<P>He plays an intense character. I think his is the most emotionally charged and tense role in the movie, and he carries it off beautifully. His dilemma lies within himself, and it can only be solved through a long arduous task. Compared with Aragorn who has to pick up a sword and fight to fulfill his destiny and claim his place in history, Frodo has to dig deep within himself and complete a mission while fighting an invasion of his soul by the evil of Sauron.<P>It is always harder to fight one's self than it is to accept a physical test.
Old 06-28-2003, 01:34 PM   #27
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I've just been watching 'Goldeneye' so I'm in Sean Bean mode. Not that I didn't like him before that. I think he made a wonderful Boromir and is a great actor. (For England James!) His death scene left a solitary tear running down my cheek (and I .<I>never</I> cry without good reason!) <P>Coming a close second is Billy Boyd. He is so gorgeous (see moving picture thingy <--). I adore him. <P>As for characters, Boromir and Pippin are my favorites. (Sean Bean's portrayal made me like Boromir more, and I warmed to Pippin the first time I read the books). Boromir is a tragic character, very deep and interesting. Pippin, on the other hand, is humorus, curious, very hobbit like, and although he's foolish sometimes you can't help but feel for him. Sometimes he reminds me of myself. I also like Faramir and poor old Bilbo Baggins from the Hobbit.
Old 06-28-2003, 01:57 PM   #28
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Sting

Favorite Actors: Sean Astin, Billy, and Dom. I liked Billy and Dom because they had awesome chemistry that helped in their roles as Merry and Pippin.<P>Favorite Characters: (in order) Merry, Pippin, Boromir, Nob! Yes, I'm a Nob fan...
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 04:36 PM   #29
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Actors: Ian McKellen (Gandalf), Viggo Mortenson (Aragorn), & Sean Bean (Borimir). Character: Borimir. Aragorn runs a close 2nd. gollum is so close to tying Aragorn for 2nd though. I find he's more than half the reason I actually watch TTT ( with Helm's Deep being the other almost half )! Favorite Character in the books: Aragorn, Legolas, or Borimir.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 08:59 PM   #30
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Pipe

Gandalf! and he was perfectly cast.
Old 06-28-2003, 09:07 PM   #31
QuickSlash
Wight

QuickSlash has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to QuickSlash Send a message via Yahoo to QuickSlash
Sting

Favorite actor: Viggo Mortensen (by far). Cate Blanchett would be second.<BR>Favorite character: Aragorn, Gandalf, and Legolas.
Old 06-29-2003, 12:02 AM   #32
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

Favorite Characters: Sam, Frodo, Aragorn, Gandalf<P>Favorite Actors: Sean Astin, Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Viggo Mortensen - Heck the <BR><B>entire</B> cast of FOTR and TTT as you have to admit they all did a wonderful job!!!<P>
Old 07-01-2003, 01:21 AM   #33
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Cate Blanchett, Viggo mortensen, Karl Urban and Craig Parker... their acting is tops..<P>I would say Orlando Bloom for Legolas, but thats only because he is so good looking c'mon all the girls love him, and i saw a pic of him as a teen around my age, and can i tell you now... I wouldnt have looked twice at him... just goes to show.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 12:23 AM   #34
MYyyPreciousSS
Wight

MYyyPreciousSS has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MYyyPreciousSS
Ring

(In Order)<P>Actors: Dominic Monaghan, Elijah Wood, Billy Boyd and Sean Astin<P>Characters: Merry!, Pippin, Gollum, Eowyn and Frodo. <BR>(And Book Faramir and Treebread.)

"My Preciousss" - the line that started the obsession.
MYyyPreciousSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 09:05 PM   #35
Kiah
Animated Skeleton

Kiah has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

My favorite actors are: Orlando Bloom (won't lie, i think he's so adorable!), Boromir (I think he is cute too), and Pippin (I like the funny guys).<BR>Favorite charachters: Legolas and Gimli are my most favorites because of their friendship. They crossed the chasm of racial hatred of milleniums and became friends, that is so touching and admirable. Also my other favorite is Eowyn. She is not the sort of girl who will stay at home and learn to sew a fine seam, she is the type who wants to do what she does best: fight. She is a fighter and I think she is the best female character I have read about in ages.
Old 07-19-2003, 10:21 PM   #36
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Characters: Frodo and Pippin are tops! Lots of other though, too, and I have this slowly rising thing for Aragorn that I can't really explain yet...won't try!<P>Actors: Sean Astin and Ian McKellen embody Sam and Gandalf perfectly! And Sean Bean as Boromir actually was a revelation and improved on Tolkien's Boromir, IMO! (Maybe it is just because I enjoy looking at him!) Also enjoy looking at Elijah Wood and Billy Boyd...OK, you didn't need to know that! One of the few who is NOT into "Orli" in the slightest...<P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 11:01 PM   #37
GrimaWormtounge

Sting

The cinematic versions of The Lord of the Rings are, as a whole, wonderfully acted, although some actors are clearly more talented than others. Here is my breakdown...<P>Frodo Baggins: Elijah does a terrific job of portraying Frodo, more particularly in the second movie, when his character shows a greater variety of emotions and struggle. His eyes are gorgeous and work wonders for his character.<P>Merry and Pippin: As much as I think Dominic is a cutie, it is clear that Billy Boyd is the more skillful actor.<P>Samwise: I don't like Sean Astin whatsoever, but admittedly, he does an excellent job.<P>Gandalf: Superlative performance by Ian MacKellen, as usual. He was better in FOTR, when Gandalf was much more human. Too distant in TTT and it will probably be even worse in ROTK, but nonetheless, nobody could do it better.<P>Gimli: John Rhyes-Davis is the best pure actor of the group, along with Sir Ian. "If you were asking for my advice, which I know you were not..." is classic. He is great.<P>Legolas: I happen to think that Orlando Bloom is the epitome of human physical perfection, but he is nothing extraordinary as an actor. Sorry to say it.<P>Aragorn: Played to perfection.<P>Boromir: Ditto.<P>Wormtounge: My absolute favorite in the books and movies. Dourif does a wonderful job.<P>Everyone in Rohan does a fine job.<P>As for the elves, Hugo Weaving is <I>not</I> Elrond at all. Worst of the trilogy. Liv Tyler is good for the token character, and Blanchett is pure excellence. Haldir was unremarkable.<P>Christopher Lee does an excellent job as Saruman. Faramir was well-acted (at least, with the script given to him). And Gollum...well, not a bad word can be said about Serkis' performance.
Old 07-19-2003, 11:31 PM   #38
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

Welcome to the Downs, GrimaWormtounge! I haven't been here too long either, but hopefully it will be as pleasurable for you as it has been for me. <P> An amazing breakdown. I'm a little to mentally disorganised to do anything of that sort and am awestricken by people who can. Although I do disagree with your not liking Sean Astin. I think he is a great actor and am proud to say that he played one of my favorites to perfection. <P> Wormtongue was freaky, I loved Gollum. But Grima was cast so well it was wierd. Most people complain that Gollum is nasty, but I disagree and would wholeheartedly place Grima Wormtongue in that position. <P>As for my favourites:<P>Film: Aragorn (I swear somebody took his image from my head), Samwise, Arwen, Boromir, Elrond, Gollum, Smeagol, who <I>doesn't</I> like Pippin?, Frodo, and the absolutely <I>unforgettable</I> Gandalf.<P>Book: No contest, I really admired them all.<p>[ July 20, 2003: Message edited by: Arwen Eruantale ]

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 09:22 AM   #39
Frodo2968thewhite
Haunting Spirit

Frodo2968thewhite has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Frodo2968thewhite
Ring

Favorite Actor- Christopher Lee!!!!!!!!!!!!<BR>Most Devoted Actors- Viggo Mortensen, Christopher Lee<BR>Favorite Characters-Frodo!! Sam!!!!!
Old 07-24-2003, 01:16 PM   #40
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Favorite actors: Sean Bean, Billy Boyd. I just loved both of their portrayals. <BR>Favorite characters: Pippin, Boromir. Pippin is a fun loving character who can be foolish sometimes but doesn't mean to be. I find I can relate to him sometimes. Boromir, on the other hand, I find very interesting and complex, but I love the guy.<BR>I just noticed that my characters and actors correspond. Coincidence, I assure you!<BR>Runners up: Merry and Faramir. Merry is great, he's funny and cheerful but you get the feeling he's more thoughtful than Pippin. Faramir, a sort of tradgic character but very heroic and interesting. His meeting with Frodo is one of my favorite parts of the book.<p>[ July 24, 2003: Message edited by: Daisy Brambleburr ]