The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-28-2006, 05:59 PM   #2841
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
*cheers loudly over Saucie's entrance*

Ooh, this shall be woooonderful.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:40 PM   #2842
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Hurray for Sauce the Jolly Barman!

Morm makes a good point about allowing both the Good and Evil Wizards to scry more than one player on night 1. Seems like the evil side gets a head start if only the EW can multiply scry at the beginning.

What were you thinking, Elempi?
Old 04-28-2006, 07:46 PM   #2843
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
I said retired Mayor but a retired merchant of the sea fits nicely as well. I made a good living and can now rest and relax in peace and quiet...or can I?
How about "retired mariner and currently mayor overseeing honorary functions"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond
Does the "maybe widowed" apply to me or one of my daughters?
Oops! Fixed.

the phantom: to clarify: there may be only one seer at a time, one ranger at a time, and one hunter at a time. The clarification shall be in the updated rules post (# 2770).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa_Aoife
Something that's recently occured to me- if the Evil wizard overrules the nightly kill, do the wolves get to pick another kill?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
LMP, to offset the EW first night ability do you plan on allowing the GW to scry more than one? Otherwise it might be a bit slanted.
No. The game is designed so that the good guys will feel at a disadvantage early, like the War of the Ring. Tolkienian, but still a basically level playing field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
As the wolfs can't PM - so they can't discuss eg. give arguments about the kill, it might come to an undecided (due to the timezones etc.). Would that also mean a "no kill" -night, or has the sub-mod a right to decide in that kind of event?
It may be a good reason to extend Nights to 48 hours, for the sake of all that needs to get done at Night. We won't start that way, but we'll keep an eye on things. It will likely often come down to a vote by the werewolves. Boromir88 is going to be busy informing the werewolves who their nominees are, then they vote, and there will probably be run-offs and the like until a kill is determined.

Quote:
I duly see, that a "good" evil wizard would not go appointing only the "top-three", but anyhow, this might be a problem - comparing to the dry-runs?
I didn't account for player personality in the dry runs, as I had no idea who would join. I might have time to run a dry run with 24 for-sure's now, and see if I can predict personality choices, but that could be like trying to rewrite the Lord of the Rings by replacing all the main characters with Barrowdowners! We'll probably just see how this goes.

No werebears or cobblers in this game; however, if there were, the evil wizard could curse new ones if old ones were lynched.

The wizards may discuss whatever they want with gifteds and werewolves. Such discussions would be had knowing full well that gifteds could end up werewolves, and werewolves could end up gifted.

One thing favoring the good team, thus offsetting the early advantage of the evil team, is that the good wizard really has no reason to hide. It's like having an invincible shirriff. The evil wizard might feel desperate enough and be unwise enough to call the good wizard out to battle as soon as the good wizard declares, but that's only three or four werewolves against a village of at least 20 innocents; the evil wizard would be foolish to call out the good wizard until as late as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azaelia
When do we start?
When Diamond's WWJ game is done, and we have 30 players (minimum), and the two wizards have been picked and are ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPM
OK. I do have a question. If a Gifted or Werewolf loses their Gift during the Night as a result of a Wizard's choice, does their Nightly vhoice still count. For example, if the Evil Wizard picks the Seer, does the ex-Seer still get the result of their dream. Does an ex-Werewolf's kill choice still count?
Good question. The wizards' actions will always be considered to be the first actions of the Night. Therefore, using your example above, the seer may not dream that Night. The kill is the last thing to be decided each Night, and therefore any uncursed werewolf is by that time a "mere" ordo.

Update rules and sign up
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 07:48 PM   #2844
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
Hurray for Sauce the Jolly Barman!

Morm makes a good point about allowing both the Good and Evil Wizards to scry more than one player on night 1. Seems like the evil side gets a head start if only the EW can multiply scry at the beginning.

What were you thinking, Elempi?
That I didn't want this game to be over after only one Day. Just imagine if there was only one evil wizard and one werewolf on Day 1, and the good wizard had successfully scried the evil wizard on Night 1, and the villagers lynched the only werewolf on Day 1? Not a fun game. So I increased the number of werewolves to 3 right away, and decided that I liked the early advantage given to the evil team. That's what I was thinking.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:52 PM   #2845
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
That I didn't want this game to be over after only one Day. Just imagine if there was only one evil wizard and one werewolf on Day 1, and the good wizard had successfully scried the evil wizard on Night 1, and the villagers lynched the only werewolf on Day 1? Not a fun game. So I increased the number of werewolves to 3 right away, and decided that I liked the early advantage given to the evil team. That's what I was thinking.
I see.

(BTW, that wasn't intended as a 'whatever could you have been thinking' comment. I was just wondering what your thoughts were. Knowing about all those dry runs, far be it from me to suggest that there was anything that missed your attention. )
Old 04-28-2006, 08:05 PM   #2846
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
far be it from me to suggest that there was anything that missed your attention.
Hah! I would be surprised if something didn't.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:06 PM   #2847
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
My vote is not to have 48 hour nights. This game will go on forever if we do that.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:20 PM   #2848
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
My vote is not to have 48 hour nights. This game will go on forever if we do that.
You do have a very good point. However, I have to put the other side here.

One of the times I was a wolf we were dealing with that irritating and bothersome Atlantic Ocean in trying to make decisions. It made it rather awkward even in that rather straightforward situation. With all the potential for argument and general mess here...I'm not sure that extra time is really a bad thing here.

Don't forget, more people are going to be getting the chop more rapidly here.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:24 PM   #2849
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Hah! I would be surprised if something didn't.
Well, I'm still in awe of the complexity of the whole process that went into planning this game.

30+ players and 48 hour nights does make for one very long game, but I'm already planning to be in the village for some time, so if lengthening the night facilitates running the game, I have no objection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPM
Anyone need a husband?
Maybe.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:46 PM   #2850
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Any Idea as to what time day and night will begin? Timezones and all....
Old 04-28-2006, 10:17 PM   #2851
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valier
Any Idea as to what time day and night will begin? Timezones and all....
I was thinking 6 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time is the least INconvenient for the most players. ..... a little rough on mountain and pacific, but quite manageable for Brits; for Philippinos however, Day and Night would end at, what, 6 in the morning? blah. Is there a better solution?
Old 04-28-2006, 10:47 PM   #2852
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
the phantom: to clarify: there may be only one seer at a time, one ranger at a time, and one hunter at a time. The clarification shall be in the updated rules post
Understood, sir.
Quote:
One thing favoring the good team, thus offsetting the early advantage of the evil team, is that the good wizard really has no reason to hide. It's like having an invincible shirriff. The evil wizard might feel desperate enough and be unwise enough to call the good wizard out to battle as soon as the good wizard declares, but that's only three or four werewolves against a village of at least 20 innocents; the evil wizard would be foolish to call out the good wizard until as late as possible.
Good point, though if the GW tells everyone who he is, the EW can then terminate him at the time of his choosing, if some sort of situation arises where it would be to his advantage to kill the GW.

For instance, if for some reason the identity of the seer is known, that would be a good time for the EW to kill the GW and then allow his wolves to kill the seer that night, and with the GW gone the seer gift could not be passed on to another villager.

Now, about this "assigning" a gift to someone if a gifted dies, how is this done? Is the new assignment made via the nightly scry, or the instant the gifted dies, does the GW reassign the gift independent from his scrying?

There is a HUGE difference between the two and what they could lead to.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:21 AM   #2853
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
Narya

I guess I will be a servant who empties and cleans chamber pots.

Yeah, yeah....ewwww, but hey, someones gotta do it . I would most likely be pretty single because of it too. My head wouldn't always be in the pots, I would always be keeping an eye out for a hubby !

Lmp, if you have too many single people I can always change my status.

Last edited by Naria; 04-29-2006 at 12:24 AM.
Naria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 01:17 AM   #2854
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Hey, how come no one wants to be my hubby? We can adopt one or so of those eligible maidens if it's my childlessness that's bothering you...

EDIT: Elempi, don't worry so much about us. We're used to being in this weird time zone so any time will do for us. Maybe.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 04-29-2006 at 01:21 AM.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:59 AM   #2855
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Though no one asked me anything , I agree to be Sleepy's and Roa's child. It's good to have nice parents, even once.

Great, I have a brother and a sister to tease. Though, I have thought my character to be pretty young (so that she can be cute and lovely though se steals candy ) and Glirdan's character with all his love-issues gives me an idea of an older child... So I think I need a word from Glirdy about his character's approximate age so that we can check if we can be twins.

Beware, village, here comes a spoiled (thanks, Sleepy-daddy) little girl!

I'm not entirely clear about the rules, but maybe reading them through carefully would help. I promise to take time and study them properly before the game...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 06:52 AM   #2856
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
And one more point before I forget it: if I'm playing a child I insist you all call me Lommy during the game, regardless which nickname you prefer using for me.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:23 AM   #2857
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dūm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

Quote:
I was thinking 6 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time is the least INconvenient for the most players. ..... a little rough on mountain and pacific, but quite manageable for Brits; for Philippinos however, Day and Night would end at, what, 6 in the morning? blah. Is there a better solution?
Six PM is ok for me, but you'll have to expect some pretty early votes from me, since I wouldn't be able to arrive until 6 on two days a week. This doesn't cause a problem if the day's just starting, but when it ends, I may have to vote early. So just a heads-up in advance--early votes are not that way by choice, but by necessity, at least from me.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:28 AM   #2858
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
this actually may work out for me....but I don't know how often I'd be able to vote....and post for that matter.....soo....umm...I'm gonna have to say --6pm
Old 04-29-2006, 09:12 AM   #2859
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp
I'd much rather have the time moved back a bit, to 5 or better yet 4 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time.

Of course, my ideal preference would be about 1 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:19 AM   #2860
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Will you have retractable votes?

And do the Werewolves know who the EW is?

And if no-one wants to 'dopt me, I'll be a filthy, insane street urchin who steals chickens & other fowl and keeps them locked up in boxes. Or whatever, at LMP's discretion.

Last edited by Oddwen; 04-29-2006 at 10:27 AM.
Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 10:36 AM   #2861
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Quote:
Maybe.
What? You want me to get down on one knee ...
Old 04-29-2006, 10:52 AM   #2862
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well, as I am very frivolous, perhaps Oddwen could belong to me, either as daughter or niece, hence her feral, urchin-like state.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:01 AM   #2863
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
And do the Werewolves know who the EW is?
The EW can tell them who he/she is.

Not that the wolves can believe what the EW says- it could be a lie.
Quote:
What? You want me to get down on one knee...
Yes, she does. You know how those women are. The bigger cliff we throw ourselves off of, the more they like it. She wants you to make a big proposal, and then she'll dilly-dally around and make you sweat before she finally says yes. It's a typical ploy.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:02 AM   #2864
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
Yes, she does. You know how those women are. The bigger cliff we throw ourselves off of, the more they like it.
So true. Throw yourself off of the Grand Canyon, love, and I might change my mind about being a widow. Wait... no, I'd still be a widow.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:04 PM   #2865
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

6 PM... It's perfect for me! I strongly second it.

A question: When a person dies, will we get to know also his/her previous roles?
I assume we don't, but I think this needs to be cleared.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:31 PM   #2866
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
A question: When a person dies, will we get to know also his/her previous roles?
I assume we don't, but I think this needs to be cleared.
I wouldn't think so. Whoever is elected to be lynched on a given day should have the ability to lie to us about their previous roles.
Quote:
Throw yourself off of the Grand Canyon, love, and I might change my mind about being a widow.
Much as I'd love to (and I know you'd love to), Sauce would quit the game if we became a married couple. As a matter of fact, anyone who played in or read WW II would probably quit.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:49 PM   #2867
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Any time between about 5 and 11 pm EST works brilliantly for me.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 01:33 PM   #2868
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
As a matter of fact, anyone who played in or read WW II would probably quit.
Oh, the memories.

All times are equally convenient (or inconvenient) for me. Whatever works for the most will do for me.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:54 PM   #2869
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Well as I went over in the TiGJ thread, my schedule is such that 10 PM (or 8 AM which I don't care for) is the only deadline that works for me every day of the week. So, I have no input. Whatever deadline you decide on I will have to make due with. The moderator is the only person who really HAS to be present at the exact hour of the deadline anyway. The rest of us will just have to get our work in early if necessary. Trust me, moderating is hell enough without having to worry about getting on a computer at an awkward time.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:16 PM   #2870
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
What? You want me to get down on one knee ...
Certainly. The phantom speaks the truth.

But if you'd prefer, I'll go first.

Oh, Jolly Barkeeper, long have I admired you standing in your tavern from afar and close by in my adjoining Healing and Cupping establishment. What say you to an alliance betwixt us? You supply the ale, and I'll supply the easing of headaches that follow the next day.

Right. The serious business of deadlines:

6 PM EDT works for me, though it may be cutting things a bit close. I'm changing hospitals again next week and am back to a one hour commute. I'd prefer going a little later (7-8 PM), but don't object to 6 if that's best for everyone.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:33 PM   #2871
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Any room left? With finals ending, I thinks it time I tried my hand at another game!
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 07:55 PM   #2872
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
6 pm is okay, but cutting it a little close. Any chance it could be moved ahead a bit? Pleeease? Just half an hour?
Alcarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 08:52 PM   #2873
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Does anyone know what time that would be for Central Standard Time?
Old 04-29-2006, 08:53 PM   #2874
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valier
Does anyone know what time that would be for Central Standard Time?
and GMT?
Old 04-29-2006, 08:59 PM   #2875
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
5 PM CST, and 10 PM GMT, I do believe.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 09:01 PM   #2876
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Thanks a million Roa!
Old 04-30-2006, 03:20 AM   #2877
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
10PM (GMT) would be fine with me.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:21 AM   #2878
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
10PM (GMT) would be fine with me.
With me too. Just perfect.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 04:32 AM   #2879
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Quote:
With me too. Just perfect.
Ditto. (Surprisingly... )
Old 04-30-2006, 09:47 AM   #2880
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dūm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

I'd like it to be a little later (11:00 PM GMT is ideal) but if it doesn't work well for everyone else, I can deal with it. (Early votes... )