Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2003, 10:39 AM   #41
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

J'ai un vacation en le vacation de toussaints pour sept jours, le 25-2 Novembre, je sait - je vais aller au Italy. Pardon, mais c'est le temp unique je vais prendre le vacation, je sait.

Ca va? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Ahem: I have a holiday in the October half term for seven days from 25th October to 2nd November I think - I'm going to Italy. Sorry - but its the only time I'm taking a holiday think (in the span of this RPG).
Old 10-16-2003, 01:44 PM   #42
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

C'est d'accord Aman. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Yeah, and that's all I know...

Arien & Earendil: Please check your PMs.

-Maikafanawen
Old 10-16-2003, 01:59 PM   #43
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Sting

O merciful Maika,

I shall be camping for three weekends:

October 17-19
October 24-26 (possibly just 1 or 2 days - don't know yet)
November 21-23

Those include the days I leave and get back, so I'll be gone just over 2 days, aggregately.

My apologies for these absences!

~ Nuranar
Old 10-16-2003, 06:32 PM   #44
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

Pipe

Quote:
Characters Needed / Players Interested

- Female Corsair -
Arien's Acacia (Replied)
Menelien's Hessa ( ½ way through)

- Male Corsair -
Arvedui's Menelcar (Replied)
Himaran's Jurex (Replied)

- Female Gondor Ally -
Brinniel's Adeline (Replied)
Durelin's Rytin (Replied)

- Fourth Gondor Ally -
No one
Okay, this is the current situation and I've just realized something frightening. No one's auditioned for the Fourth Gondor Ally. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Once there is a good vignette for him I will make the grueling decision. *bites lip*

Anyone feel like advertising for the fourth spot so we can get started with the RPG? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

-Maikafanawen
Old 10-16-2003, 07:22 PM   #45
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I'm rather appreciating all this French. For once I'm semi-understanding a foreign language. Ah, the wonders of being a French 1 student. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

maika- I don't know if it really matters yet since you haven't made your decision yet, but if you want a heads up on when I'll be gone anyway, here it is:

-January 9-11
-January 30 - February 1

Those two weekends are my scheduled dance competitions, but they may change. Otherwise, I'm planning to be home, even for the holidays. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2003, 12:02 PM   #46
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Oops, as Maika pointed out, I made a mistake...prepare to be crucified by my french teacher, as I have a feeling I made that mistake all the way through my last homework...urk...

[ October 17, 2003: Message edited by: Amanaduial the archer ]
Old 10-17-2003, 03:52 PM   #47
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

Pipe

Aman: That would be a good idea but I had something certain in mind for the fourth ally and I'd really like him to be a part of the RPG. What I'm going to do is pick from what I have so far so that someone who doesn't get the part they want will have a chance to be a fourth ally.

This is going to be a very hard decision and I'm going to take care of it by PMs.

-Maikafanawen
Old 10-19-2003, 11:29 AM   #48
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Everyone

There are new rules in effect for all the forums which will be enforced by the administrators and moderators. Please familiarize yourselves with them here:

NEW POLICIES
Old 10-19-2003, 11:52 AM   #49
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

Pipe

Everyone, please check your PMs. I have sent out notes on your character and whether he or she will be in The Ambassador's Son.

It was very dificult and I didn't intend to insult or offend anyone. It was NOTHING PERSONAL. I know most all of your RPGing skills very well and both of us know that each and every one of you are fantastic writers!

We still have a place left for the Fourth Ally. Since he is not needed until a little while after the rest of us have posted, we can start soon w/o him.

Pio: When do you want the order of the posts to go on the RPG thread?

Fondly,
Maikafanawen
Old 10-20-2003, 10:20 AM   #50
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Maika

Go ahead and put the order for posts on the Discussion Thread.

I have to work today - so it will probably be tomorrow before I can transfer them (or very late tonight).

Once they are placed - shall I leave the game open for play?
Old 10-20-2003, 02:52 PM   #51
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

Pipe

Posting Order:

Quote:
Earendil - Jythralo
Arien - Acacia
Himaran - Jurex
GaladrieloftheOlden - Hessa
Nuranar - Calnan
Amanduial - Callath
Brinniel – Adeline
Pio—Let's wait to open the RPG for another day or so. I want everyone to get a vague idea of where this is going since it's not one of those Beginning/Journey/End RPGs.

Okay kids, here is the outline for this RPG. It is subject to change under ideas and suggestions given! But this is more or less what I had in mind. PLEASE feel free to give ideas that will put more action/adventure into the PART I. It's a bit standard from where I’m sitting.

Quote:
OUTLINE:

PART I: Act I

*Devon tells his friends about Jythralo.
*We meet Ally #3.
*Devon has to go home for his lessons but meets up later with his friends again for dinner at an inn.
*Corsair Allies #1 & #2 are at the same inn—They know that Devon knows and plot to kidnap him under Jythralo's orders.
*So while Devon's on his way home—this time armed—they try to kidnap him. It doesn't work and Devon gets away.
*He goes to where Callath is in the stables to tell him what happened. Callath convinces him to stay the night in the stables in case they try something in his house.
*Jythralo begins his plan in the inn after Devon has left.
*The Gondorian dies

Act II

*Devon & 3 friends go to the embassy where Mr. Thrann is working to pass harsh laws against the Corsairs who are being v rebellious and wreaking havoc. Devon tries to tell him that it was Jythralo but he doesn’t believe him and tells him to leave him alone.
*Devon & three friends do what little they can, mostly just staying out of trouble.
*Jythralo finishes up the last of his plan and confronts the Ambassador, requesting protection because he claims that lots of corsairs are branding him a traitor and threatening him.
*The Ambassador consents but Jythralo stages his own kidnapping. At the failure of even the Ambassador's protection, all the politicians leave in a frenzied rush to save their own skins.
*Madness ensues.

Act III

*Ally #4 rushes in to see the Ambassador. He tries to help but no one will listen to him b/c he's a foreigner and because their too worried about their own safety.
*Devon introduces himself and his friends and tells Ally #4 about Jythralo Doran. Ally #4 has heard of him and agrees to help and tells them that they need to do some spying. Ally #3 volunteers.
*She will get into Jythralo's office and look through the papers and things in his desk. She finds the map of The Bay and copies it, taking it back to Devon.
*One of the allies has seen her and that night they kidnap her. Jythralo leaves a pretty note.
*Outraged, Devon swears to rescue her and the v next day, the four men left decide to find a captain, ship, and crew!

Act III

*We meet Ally #5
*It takes some convincing to get him off his lazy butt and back on a ship with crew but he does finally.
*Devon also needs to come up with money to help pay the crew.
*Then they're on their way to The Bay.

PART II: Act I

Will be pretty much erratic and open to whims and impulses! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I will lay out steps once we finish Part I and are ready to move on.
Another thing on the outline: If you don't like some of the things I've got your character doing, speak up and I'll take care of it. For example, if Himaran or Arien, either of you don't want your characters in an inn the night when Devon is there, we can whip up a few secondary characters working under Jythralo to take care of it.

Also, Brinniel: Adeline may or may not be kidnapped. It was just something that sort of came to me. You can decide when we get to that part.

Earendil: I hope you're thinking about Jythralo's plan. One of the first things Acacia, Jurex and Jythralo do in the RPG is putting it into action.

Any questions anyone?

-Maikafanawen

[ October 20, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]
Old 10-20-2003, 03:10 PM   #52
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Very simple question- just, where is Hessa while all this is going on? I'm a bit disoriented. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

-Menelien
Old 10-21-2003, 09:56 AM   #53
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting

I'm alive.....

For some reason, I could not log on to the BarrowDowns for several days.

I'm fine with Jurex being at the inn, and being one of the *rueful glance* unsuccesful kidnappers. I'll hang around and wait my turn to post.

Himaran
Old 10-21-2003, 10:30 AM   #54
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting

Pio: I made some corrections to my first post; could you please transfer them to the post you placed in the game?

Thanks, Himaran
Old 10-21-2003, 10:56 AM   #55
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Himaran

Your edited post is on board.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:49 PM   #56
Arien
Shade of Carn Dūm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Question

I am happy for Acacia to be at the Inn the night Devon is there. However I think it would be more appropriate if she did not attempt to kidnap Devon alongside Jurex. It would probably seem very suspicious if a Council member was to take part in the kidnap of The Ambassadors son.

Could she stay in the Inn and maybe send a secondary to help Jurex?

[ October 22, 2003: Message edited by: Arien ]
Old 10-21-2003, 01:59 PM   #57
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

Pipe

One thing I'd like to clear up is that just because you are not having a specific part in the RPG right now that is in the outline, you can always keep your character involved by keeping him active.

This IS still an RPG even though we've got a very profound collection of characters so feel free to write for and develop your character whenever you feel like it during the course of the game.

Menelien: Hessa will be with Acacia most of the time, but there will be times, of course, when she'll be given her special duties and sent off on errands for PART I of the game. We'll be coming up with intricate ideas on how to keep things as adventerous as possible! So always be thinking about it! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

As soon as I hear from the others (Nuranar, Earendil, Arien, and Aman) about the outline, I'll post again and we'll get started.

Nuranar and Menelien: Can you come up with last names for your character? Things will play deep in this game and a fair deal of personal information will be needed. Thanks!

One last question, on average, how often will each of your be able to check up on both threads per week? I'm wondering how I should pace the game.

Thanks!
-Maikafanawen
Old 10-21-2003, 02:05 PM   #58
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

Pipe

Ah! Corresponding posts! As rare as they sometimes are they're still aggravating! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Arien: I agree with you. That's actually why I brought the point up. When I had first drafted the outline I was planning on having both corsair allies be male, but that would have made for a tedious RPG IMO. Anywho, send on in a secondary. We'll be using quite a few of them I believe.

Fingers itching with anticipation,
Maikafanawen

P.S. Arvedui: Do try and hurry with our little favor. *Puppydog eyes*--you have no idea. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2003, 02:13 PM   #59
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Last name... eh... Hessa Taiel? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

-Menelien

EDIT

I put Hessa's last name up on the list. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

~*~ Pio

[ October 21, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-21-2003, 02:36 PM   #60
Arien
Shade of Carn Dūm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Sting

Maika, just to let you know I will probably be able to check up on both threads nearly evryday (I hope!).
Old 10-21-2003, 03:19 PM   #61
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Quote:
As soon as I hear from the others (Nuranar, Earendil, Arien, and Aman) about the outline, I'll post again and we'll get started.
Oh, I do apologise. If you mean the outline posted here, I didn't realise we had to comment, I was just sitting back quietly admiring it... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I'm good with all of that, it fits together nicely. Excellent.

Raring to go,
Aman
Old 10-21-2003, 03:35 PM   #62
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Earendil Halfelven has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The outline....peachy!
I'm feeling a little bit of the stomach flu thats going around here, but hey! I never get sick, just feeling a little nasty. So I'll be on here regularly.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:48 PM   #63
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

So sorry, I wasn't aware that my input on the outline was requested. Although I was meditating something...

At this point, I'm just a little concerned about the attempted kidnapping (how DO you spell that?!) in Act I. Calnan's the type to see the very imminent danger to Devon if Jythralo knows who heard him. I deliberately wrote Calnan as the eldest of Devon's friends - and by a good bit, I might add - to make such a realization consistent with his, shall I say, savvy character. (It also comes, on my part, from a mind enriched by many detective and espionage books. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img])

That being said, I feel it would be inconsistent with the abilities of the allies to just bop around without protecting themselves, much less to let Devon ramble around on his own. Not to mention that that was just what he was doing when he got involved in the whole mess.

Any thoughts? Am I getting through?

I shall edit in a last name for Calnan as soon as I find/make one - I agonized over "Calnan" as it was. I wasn't aware one was needed - most of Tolkien's characters lack them, especially as we use them.

[EDIT: Calnan is now "Calnan Dontal," for those who are curious. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]]

And finally, I anticipate being able to at least check the threads at least once a day (with the exception of a few weekends). Just don't count on me being able to post every day - I am still in school, as patient Pio can attest. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Many thanks!

Edit: Re-reading the outline, I'm a bit concerned about the lack of action on the Allies' part. They basically do nothing (except for what seems a rather haphazard raid on Jythralo's office) until Jythralo acts and they lose the initiative. The initiative - very important in military matters, as I am learning. But I digress.

If Devon's story is true, some very decisive action is needed very quickly. Since the authorities won't do it - at the present time - I see two alternatives: (A) Try to put a spoke in Jythralo's wheel themselves, or (B) Find out all they can about his plan, his preparations, and especially his own allies; then, depending on the strength of the evidence they gather, they can again approach the Gondorians with a case worth looking into (and in a manner very different from Devon's first attempt), or they can implement a modified Plan A.

How's that?

[ October 22, 2003: Message edited by: Nuranar ]
Old 10-21-2003, 07:49 PM   #64
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Quote:
Also, Brinniel: Adeline may or may not be kidnapped. It was just something that sort of came to me. You can decide when we get to that part
I actually really liked that idea the moment you mentioned it. Adeline seems the type who would get stuck in that position....and make sure the corsairs regret every moment of it. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

As for checking threads, I should be able to do so almost everyday except for Monday; it is rare you'll find me on that day. As for posting, I think I can do that 2-3 times a week. Of course, like I mentioned once before, my schedule can be erratic, and there may be some days I can't get on. *sigh*
Old 10-22-2003, 06:08 PM   #65
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

At your request, Maika, here's the fourth ally. I do apologize for being so late, my homework has been stupid of late and wouldn't get done.
----------------------
Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – YES, Road to Erebor, Reclaiming the City, Truth in a Dark Place.

How many RPG's on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? 2- Resistance, Resettling the Lost Kingdom.

Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? –NO _______________________________________

NAME: Telson

RACE: Man of Gondor.

WEAPONS: Telson wields two short swords slung comfortably at each hip. Although he's not shy with a bow or lance if it presents itself, he prefers close-quarter combat.

APPEARANCE: With ice blue eyes and a sallow, pocketmarked face, Telson has a habit of attracting unwanted attention. He stands about 5'11", and his lithe frame and long, loose black hair only adds to his somewhat peculiar demeanor, although the ratty brown cloak he wears often helps him slightly. But, perhaps his most distinguishing feature is his smile, which is very rarely not in place.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Telson, quite simply, is a dreamer. He prefers hearing of great deeds rather than preforming them, and curling up with a good book as opposed to experiencing the dangers of the world. He has a ready, often sardonic wit, and a need for laughter. When called upon, though, Telson can devote himself completely to a cause he believes in. He has a strong love for his country and those who lead it. And, while he is no orator, Telson has a gift for tongues and a weakness for words. And wine. Well, cheer of any kind, really. Telson loves a good time, and a good nap, and while he frequently belittles his fighting ability, he's not a shy warrior. Even if he chooses not to be.

HISTORY: Born originally in Minas Tirith, Telson's mother died in childbirth leaving him to be raised by a father engrossed in service to the citadel guard. He was sheltered in the southern fiefdoms with other women and children during the War of the Ring, and then moved to Ithilien with his father and the white company after it was over. Growing up in Emyn Arnen, Telson studied both lore and warcraft, although there was no doubt in his mind that he wanted to be a scholar. This presented somewhat of a problem, as his father had no doubt that he was meant to be a soldier.

After many lengthy arguments, Telson gave into his father's wishes and served a small commission at the crossings at Poross, which lasted about a year until he was transferred back to Emyn Arnen as a supply officer. This suited Telson just fine, as the cushy post gave him more time to read and write freely. His stories and notes gained some notice as well, for he began to be given special assignments and extra work that, for the most part, required his ability to observe and then write about what he saw. The latest in these is a trip to the isle of Umbar, to assess the possible aid it might send in time of war.

Arvedui III's post

As the creak of the deck of the Miranel swayed and finally stopped, a shaky, stooped, figure clutching dearly to the port railing had finally decided on one thing: He hated ships. And oceans. He hated oceans too, which was two things, really, but he supposed that was irreverent. The cargo vessel lurched horribly as it dropped anchor into what looked like lurid, black, and, there was no other word for it, chunky water; The mingled smell of dead fish and alcohol was near palpable in the humid, windless night, and the stars seemed to glare at him rather than twinkle. As he stepped unto the warf, it creaked ominously under him.

Telson Telemarson's first impression of the isle of Umbar was not a kind one.

He rubbed the stiff parchment tucked rather haphazardly into his belt with one sweaty palm and somehow felt comforted by its presence. Standing nervously on the warf, the figure dressed in a tattered, brown, now wet cloak shifted his weight several times before a equally ratty looking seaman tossed him a rough haversack from the ship. "Such care," he muttered under his breath and without waiting for a word from anyone set his bag on his back and started walking as quickly as he could away from the port. The street he found himself traveling on was lit with sickly yellow street lamps, and the uneven cobblestone road looked like rough obsidian in the dim light. The path seemed devoid of people, although the dull sounds of drunkards and dullards babbling in distant alleyways mixed eerily with the squeaky signs hung above various shops and smithies.

If Telson had known what part of Umbar he had entered, he might have gladly traded the five minutes he had spent walking for another five days onboard ship.

Eventually, an overtly noisy sign in the shape of a tankard caught his attention and he squinted up to the figure which read, "Low Tide Inn: Hearty Food and Spirits". With a sigh he muttered, "Charming, I'm sure," And pulled the handle. The pub was lively enough. Unlike the street outside it was well lit and warm, and full of noise. About ten men were drinking and laughing at different tables, with another three at the bar. The place itself was shabby, with pealing, stained walls and a floor seemed to tilt in some places. The wood of the tables was gnarled and rotting, but, he noted that the shelf holding rum behind the bar was elegant and smooth, finished with a fine veneer.

Chuckling softly, Telson set himself comfortably into a lopsided seat and licked his lips. If the low tide inn did indeed serve hearty food and spirits, he intented to sample some. A ruddy bartender with a wholly unnecessary number of tatoos on his face came over and smiled broadly at him. "What can I do fer yeh, good sir?" He asked in a raspy voice. "A room, and a brew if you have both." The man chuckled. "Aye sir. I have both if your coin's good." Nodding, Telson plunged a hand into his shirt pocket and produced two silver coins stamped with the likeness of the king on one side and the white tree on the other. The bartender gave a low whistle.

"Those'll do jus' fine, sir." He said, briskly sweeping them off the counter. Drawing himself up, he added, " What'll it be?" "Whatever's a bargain." Telson shrugged. He was not in the mood for expensive ale tonight. That only lead to trouble. After about five minutes the bartender returned with a frothy mug in hand. " ‘Ere, mayhap that'll redden your checks a bit." Telson smiled self-consciously, remembering that his pallid face was not a regular at this bar. ‘I doubt that, meaning no offense to your ale, good sir." The bartender nodded sagely. "Course, sir. Er, beggin' your pardon, sir, but, you ain't from round ‘ere, are yeh?"

"Is it that obvious?" Telson responded with a sigh and a smile. "No. Well, yes. Well, well it's just that not many a man with a fair face comes round the low district, much less buys whatever's cheap, if you take my meaning, sir." The bartender bumbled and grinned apologetically. Telson only laughed. "Guess I should of known better. No, I'm not from around here." The bartender nodded and then bit his lip. "Er, if you don't mind me askin', sir, who are you?" Telson looked and the bartender slowly, appraising what type of answer he should give. "Oh, nobody, really. Just another lowly, lazy, ne'er do well trying to make a way in the world." He shrugged and laughed. The bartender joined in. "Well, you'll fit in quite nicely here, then. What're yeh tryin' ta do in Umbar, Mr. Nair do well?"

Telson again let a silence stretch out before answering. He supposed it could do no harm, after all, he'd need all the help he could get, and making a few friends, a few friends with knowledge of the island, would be invaluable. So he answered,

"Oh, I count things." "Count things?" The bartender echoed, confused. "Yep. Ships, arms, men, wood, stone, things like that." The bartender still looked confused "Why and who in middle-earth would pay yeh to do that?" "That's the steward's business, not mine." He answered and took a slip of his mug. The old barkeep's eyes near doubled in size. "You're a steward's man?" He asked incredulously. "Sure." Telson replied offhandedly, enjoying the bartender's reaction. "Got a note to see the ambassador about my business, too." He added for the effect. The reaction wasn't quite what he expected. The man snorted.

"You aren't from ‘round ‘ere. That ambassador, Thrann? E's worthless, to be shure. Now lord Doran, e's a good man, so he is, why if I has a coin fer every man e's helped on this isle, why," Sensing a rant on politics that he did not, nor wanted to understand, Telson interrupted the man with an overly loud cough. It was too late for this, he'd deal with whatever Umbar had to bring in the morning.

"About that room, sir?"

--------------------------------
Hope that works

[ October 23, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-22-2003, 08:45 PM   #66
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

Pipe

The point of replying to the Outline, was mainly to take attendance.

Quote:
That being said, I feel it would be inconsistent with the abilities of the allies to just bop around without protecting themselves, much less to let Devon ramble around on his own. Not to mention that that was just what he was doing when he got involved in the whole mess.
I never intended for them to "bop around". Obviously they're going to be very self-conscious with a nervous eye turned behind them incessantly. The three of them are not going to grasp the enormity of their situation right away. How do they know that Jythralo's words aren't just talk? It's been five years since he's done anything out of character. He's getting older and the four Gondorians have always seen him as nothing more than just an elderly government official. That doesn’t oppose much of a threat.

The whole POINT of the kidnapping attempt is to jerk the Gondorian youths into realization that what they're dealing with goes a little farther than just political discontent. Since Devon will be relaying his story to Calnan, Callath, and Adeline, the tone he adopts and the urgency he speaks with will have the initial effect on his friends. They did not hear Jythralo speaking with Agdar so they can't be sure of his intentions. They might even have doubts towards the importance of what Devon is saying.

After the kidnapping, they will be much more cautious, but Devon will not submit to solitude no matter what Calnan says. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] He is capable of defending himself to a point and it is necessary that he is able to be out and about doing his share.

Quote:
Re-reading the outline, I'm a bit concerned about the lack of action on the Allies' part. They basically do nothing (except for what seems a rather haphazard raid on Jythralo's office) until Jythralo acts and they lose the initiative. The initiative - very important in military matters, as I am learning. But I digress.
THE outline, open to discussion, is a VAGUE idea on what I intend to happen. OBVIOUSLY we have a good deal of time for an RPG chock-full of adventure. I don't intend to waste a moment of it. While Jythralo and his crew are meddling in their unwholesome affairs, the Gondorians will be antagonizing his efforts and causing a good deal of trouble against him as well as developing their own counter-plans. JUST because I do not have their every little step specified on that PRIMITIVE outline DOES NOT mean they are doing NOTHING. I'm sorry I wasn't clear...

Quote:
(A) Try to put a spoke in Jythralo's wheel themselves, or (B) Find out all they can about his plan, his preparations, and especially his own allies; then, depending on the strength of the evidence they gather, they can again approach the Gondorians with a case worth looking into (and in a manner very different from Devon's first attempt), or they can implement a modified Plan A.
Let's assume Devon overheard Jythralo and Agdar's conversation on Day 1. Okay. The morning of Day 2 he tells his friends. Devon heard no date in their discussion and since things had been EXTREMELY dormant for FIVE YEARS, it would be most acceptable that they settled on an indecisive idea and decided to present it to authorities or whoever TOMORROW (Day 3). The EVENING of Day 2, Jythralo makes his moves and any preemptory attempts at diversion the youths might have had is DASHED. They now are caught up in the madness of Corsair Rebellion as the Gondorian guards try frantically to regain power.

The reason the Gondorian guards fail is because after five years of substantial peace they have grown fat and bored. In their shock, they arrest too many people, overflowing their jails, and even most of the corsairs get away unmolested. It is a futile effort. The pompous Ambassador is just as scared and he and his few delegates are frenzied in their attempt to restore order. Eventually in a matter of three days OR LESS, most government officials, wealthy upper classmen, or foreign merchants have evacuated the city, fleeing for their safety, and leaving it to the few people brave enough to face Jythralo and his rebellious Corsairs.

These few people consist of four Gondorian youths, a retired Navy Sea-Captain, his crew, and (possibly) a handful of others (secondary characters yet to be named). Not very many. So far it appears that Jythralo has even won. But to make sure, he retreats to his Bay to retrieve his ships and bring them to oppose any last-minute (speaking v figuratively) Gondorian efforts to reclaim Umbar. His fleet may consist of only ten or more ships (this is as reasonable as I've decided it can be), BUT they are of the best make, with the most talented crews, and their sea-maneuvering capability exceeds that of any other water-traversing ships. It's a real threat.

How will one sleek ship under Avershire's command defeat Jythralo's modern armada? That remains to be seen... *mysterious smile*

Arvedui: Very nice. Have you by any chance read The Belgariad by David Eddings? Telson reminds me a lot of my FAVORITE character from his books: Silk, or Prince Kheldar. I'll PM you tomorrow, er, actually, maybe Saturday morning.

This weekend is going insane on me. The RPG will probably open Sunday.

Have I covered everything? If there are more questions, do not hesitate to ask, I will not hesitate to answer.

-Maikafanawen
Old 10-22-2003, 09:07 PM   #67
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

Maika,

Please accept my most sincere apologies for the harsh tone of my comments on your outline. I was just writing down some thoughts and apparently was too blunt in making sure I was understood. I am extremely sorry for offending you in any way.

Thank you very much for the clarification of the rationale behind the events. I assumed that since so much was happening, a correspondingly long amount of time would be needed. I take it the "Acts" in Part I stand (roughly) for days?

Everything really looks terrific. I'm getting very excited to be finally on our way - especially once my math test is over!

Pio: I guess you didn't see that I had edited in my character's last name - he is now "Calnal Dontal." Thanks!

Most sincerely,

Nuranar
Old 10-23-2003, 12:37 AM   #68
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Final Character List

Pro-Corsair
  • Earendil – Corsair enthusiast - Jythralo Doran – male
  • Himaran – Co-conspirator – Jurex Quetell – male
  • Arien – Co-conspirator- Acacia Ratan - female
  • GaladrielOTO –Co-conspirator – Hessa Taiel – female

Pro-Gondor
  • Maikafanawen – Devon Thrann – male
  • 1st Ally – Nuranar – Calnan Dontal - male
  • 2nd Ally – Amanaduial –Callath Harres - male
  • 3rd Ally – Brinniel – Adeline Montrés – female
  • 4th Ally – Arvedui III - Telson Telemarson – male
  • 5th Ally - Maikafanawen – Captain Kent Avershire – male

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Maika

Let me know when you are ready.

Shall I put Arvedui's post on - or will she place it later?

[ October 23, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-23-2003, 02:11 PM   #69
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

Pipe

Nuranar: It's alright. I hope everything is clear now. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
I take it the "Acts" in Part I stand (roughly) for days?
Yes, and some even stand for only a few hours. Many things will be added at our discression of course so who knows where this will lead us... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Pio: I'm working on the post where Devon tells Adeline, Calnal and Callath about what happened. After that is up here we can open the thread. You can go ahead and put Arvedui's post up now at the very end of all of our's. Also, I think Arvedui is a "he". [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks!
-Maikafanawen
Old 10-23-2003, 04:06 PM   #70
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

Pipe

Alright Pio, here's the post. Once you put this up we can begin playing.

Quote:
Devon kicked absently at the straw-littered ground with his boots, making scuffmarks in the packed dirt. Early April brought a cool breeze up from the harbor and the faint scent of salt tingled his nose. The familiar odor of marsh and rotten things hauled in from the south also wove into the stable and the ambassador's son was constantly blowing air out his nose to rid of the stench.

He looked up as Adeline entered the stables. A loose dark brown curl fluttered across her fair cheekbones and the pale blue dress she wore swayed as she stepped down from the doorway into the hall.

"What's going on?" she asked inquisitively eyeing the agitated expressions on the youths' faces. Devon's eyes especially were dark with repressed anger and he nodded curtly, deciding he was not the one to speak just yet.

"Devon's a bit upset by something he overheard last night," Callath explained calmly. "He was just going to tell us." Calnan moved aside so that Adeline could walk past him and sit on a stool beside an empty stall.

Resisting the urge to kick the wooden gate to splinters, Devon took a deep breath and relayed everything that had happened last night. He explained in as much detail as possible doing his best to choose just the right words to depict the exact scenario. When he was finished, Callath let out a low whistle and as a second thought, stepped away from the traitorous captain's black stallion with a look of profound distaste.

"Did they see you?" Callath asked, a thousand unreadable emotions running across his face. Devon hesitated and then shook his head.

"No, no I don't think so. He seemed to think I was a pickpocket. Anyways, they didn't come after me." Calnan's brow was furrowed and he looked very nervous. There was a pause as Devon's story sunk in.

"What do we do?" Adeline breathed.

"Well, as long as the most powerful man in Umbar is wrapped up with the idea that pirates never lie, there's not much we can do," Devon pointed out impulsively.

"Unless we do it ourselves," Callath said. He smiled mysteriously and it was obvious the beginnings of some wild idea was beginning to take place in his cunning little mind. Calnan immediately shook his head.

"No," he said firmly. "We need to be careful, and there are other government officials who can help us besides Devon's father. We'll talk to them."

"What makes you think they'll listen?" Adeline countered. "Doran is a very powerful figure. Almost everyone trusts him. And those who don't wouldn't raise a finger against him anyways. I doubt we'll get very much help from them Calnan." She smoothed a fold in her skirt and began to fiddle with her locket.

"What about people who aren't government officials?" Callath offered, disappointment written slightly on his face at Calnan's immediate dismissal of his incentive adventure. "You know like merchants or aristocrats."

"I don't think so," Devon said. "They're pretty content with the blossomed trade and business opportunities opened in Umbar. And since Doran's helped so much to make their dreams a reality, they've absolutely no reason to hate him." Devon uttered an awful malediction and slammed the oak beam he leaned against with the side of his fist. "He thought of everything I bet! Oh sorry Adeline," he apologized quickly seeing the girl's eyebrow shoot up at his curse.

The attaché shook his head and began to pace in thought. "There's got to be something he missed. I just can't put my finger on it."

"Well, can we think about this over breakfast? My stomach is just as nervous as the rest of us, but it'll be furious with me if I starve it." As if on cue, a low gurgling sound came from the stable-hand's belly. Callath smiled innocently and the four left the stables for a light breakfast at their favorite inn and pub: Snifter and Song.

After greeting the bartender, Mister Rheels, the four took a corner table by the window and enjoyed a steamy meal of sausages, biscuits, eggs, and cheese. So absorbed in the delectable meal the Snifter and Song chef provided for them, the problem of Captain Doran seemed to be less insistent of their concern and the traitorous sun, casting the shadow of the windowpane on their table, captivated them and turned their thoughts away from the treacherous pirate.

"Do you have the whole day, Devon?" Callath asked, washing down his breakfast with milk (Adeline had forbidden them to consume ale so early in the morning: much to the stable-hand's contempt). "I haven't got too much to do at the stables today."

Devon shook his head regretfully. "Unfortunately no. I have three classes and a fencing lesson."

Callath rolled his eyes and pulled apart his second roll. "That will keep you penned up until late this evening!" he complained, mopping up the last bits of gravy from his plate with the bread. Devon snorted.

"In that case I'll just tell my tutor that Mr. Harres insists I join him for a day of pointless wandering around the streets of Umbar. I'm sure he'll understand." Calnan chuckled and Callath smiled sarcastically.

"Calnan?" he asked hopefully. The attaché shook his head. "Sorry." Sighing disappointedly, the stable-hand leaned back, folding his hands on his satisfied stomach. "Looks like it's just me and you, Adeline." The girl looked up from her glass of hot tea and smiled feebly, "You know I've got to help mother Callath." Callath shook his head and sat up, looking at them all accusingly. "I don't believe this! You're going to just leave me?" The three repressed their smiles and found sudden interest in the bottoms of their empty glasses.

"Well, look on the bright side," Devon said with a humorous twinkle in his eye. "You've got that swell new horse to get acquainted with." Calnan burst, laughing into his napkin. With a look of childish disappointment, Callath slumped back in his chair, his arms akimbo.

"There is still an hour or so to go before any of us are really needed anywhere," Adeline offered, trying to cheer her discouraged friend. "We could go down to the beach."

"That sounds good," Devon agreed. "What do you say Callath?" The youth nodded his consent and the four paid for their breakfast before making their way through the city down to the shore.
-Maikafanawen

[ October 23, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]
Old 10-23-2003, 07:53 PM   #71
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Earendil Halfelven has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maika-check your pm's.

I don't know if you got it because there was a little technical problem with sending pm's. Hopefully, you did, because it was a pretty long one.
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ October 23, 2003: Message edited by: Earendil Halfelven ]
Old 10-23-2003, 08:13 PM   #72
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Sting

maika- I couldn't help but notice a mistake in one minor detail.

Quote:
A loose blond curl fluttered across her fair cheekbones
Adeline actually has dark brown hair...
Old 10-23-2003, 08:44 PM   #73
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

Pipe

Oooh, and I meant to recheck the Bio! Sorry about that! Corrections of the sort are MUCH appreciated! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Earendil: I got it but I don't quite understand exactly... I'll PM you in a moment or two specifically.

-Maikafanawen
Old 10-23-2003, 08:48 PM   #74
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The lock of hair is now brown.

The Game is now open for play.

Remove all your signatures from your game posts - including any SAVES.
Old 10-25-2003, 02:45 PM   #75
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Just a reminder - I will be away from tomorrow morning until next Sunday.

Apologies again [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I really really hate missing the start of games... *hopeful*

[ October 25, 2003: Message edited by: Amanaduial the archer ]
Old 10-25-2003, 03:19 PM   #76
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

Pipe

Aman: Right. Have fun and we'll all write accurately for Callath while you're gone!

**Make sure one re-reads Callath's Bio and knows how Aman wants him to act etc. before one starts posting a lot of him.**

GaladrielOTO's Character: Alright Earendil, Arien, and Himaran, here's what we've got in mind for Menelien's character if you all consent:

Hessa's mother is ill—doh—and pretty soon she's going to need medical attention. The Taiels, or what's left of them, aren't really in the position to pay for a physician. So Jurex, who, if it's okay with Himaran, will be a friend of the Taiels (maybe he knew Hessa's brother and father), and he will try to help. He'll go to Hessa and tell her about what Doran is doing. He says that he can try to see if Doran will have something for her to do. Hessa agrees, "Anything for mother."

Jurex goes to see Doran and tells him of Hessa's situation. Doran, who is sympathetic towards his people, (and young ladies! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) will give her a job with pay. Her job is to be an assistant to Acacia, Doran's first mate aboard The Rapscallion. Hessa will run errands for her and help out with things that Acacia's in charge of. In turn, Acacia will teach Hessa how to survive as a Corsair of Umbar: fighting w/ a cutlass, speaking eloquently, etc.

The two may not start out as that swell of friends because Acacia is used to giving orders and having them followed while Hessa in used to be fawned over and adored—but not spoiled. There's also the problem of Hessa's issue with blood that will have to be overcome or whatever.

So what do you four think? Does this sound like a doable plan? If so, feel free to start writing this out on the RPG.

Earendil and I have finally gotten Doran's plan of action together and we're going to get it up on here as soon as he gets back to me with his final say-so's.

-Maikafanawen
Old 10-26-2003, 12:51 PM   #77
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

Pipe

Doran's Plan of Action

Quote:
Day 1

Under Doran's authorization, Jurex and two secondary characters under his command will attempt to kidnap Devon after he has dinner at the Snifter and Song with Calnan and Callath. Devon tells his friends that he is going to hang around a bit longer, have another drink, and start his way home in about another hour or so. Calnan protests and Devon reminds him that Doran has NO idea who he is, so he's in no danger at all. Still unconvinced, Calnan and Callath leave.

An hour later Devon gets his coat and sword and leaves the inn. He is cutting through allies on his way back and is ambushed by the three men. He fights them and escapes narrowly. Devon runs all the way to the stables where he finds Callath mucking out the last stall. He tells him what happens and Callath offers to harbor him in the stables for now since he can't go back to the estate: they'd be waiting for him.

For the past month or so, things have been acting up between the ex-corsairs and Gondorian common folk and many fights have been breaking out in inns and streets throughout Umbar. People have been getting slightly uneasy, but the officials are unaware of most of it since no organization has been shown and the threat remains inauspicious.

The night of Day 1, at the Low Tide Inn, Doran's plan is being put into action. A fight has been set up and two 'ex-corsairs' take on a Gondorian peasant for commenting on their raucous past. The Gondorian, Tomis Predd, is killed and the 'ex-pirates' flee leaving both sides at the inn fighting. More casualties are suffered until the authorities arrive. Finally the guards come and break up the fight. After interrogating the witnesses and seeing that the wounded are taken care of, they then take their report to the ambassador who is wakened and informed of the murder.

Day 2 beginning at 1:00 am

Thrann gathers together is delegates, and they discuss what should be done. Doran is among the group. The ambassador says things like: "Things have gone too far this time," and "It's time for us to put a stronger chain on these rebels." So Acts—strongly influenced by Doran (and unapproved by the king)—are drawn up against the 'ex-corsairs'. Some of these include:
  • If an Umbarian citizen has had connections with the Corsairs of Umbar in the past, it is required that [some symbol] is stamped on a sheet of paper that must be presented when applying for a job or buying/renting a home.
  • No Umbarian citizen who has had connections with the Corsairs of Umbar will be allowed in inns past the hour of 9 every day.
  • No Umbarian citizen who has had connections with the Corsairs of Umbar will be allowed to purchase weapons without liable reason.

These are only a few of the illegal Acts passed by the ambassador, and inscribed on parchments and posted up all over the city. Doran then sends Jurex to advocate to the corsair folk of Umbar, convincing them to rise up against the Gondorians and that they shouldn't put up with such tyranny. They like this idea, and begin to take matters into their own hands. Many resort to stealing and pilferage to get what they need since most Gondorians won't have anything to do with them.

So begins the Corsair Rebellion.

By Day 3

Chaos is wrought and the officials are constantly harassed by bandits in the streets and many of them leave. As the government falls apart, Doran stages a "kidnap" of himself and he goes to the Bay to pick up his ten ships and the crews and captains that will man them. After the kidnap of one of their most trusted and beloved delegates, the last few officials flee North.

Everything is going very nicely for Doran.

It is now up to Devon, and his friends to stop him. After employing Captain Avershire and obtaining a crew, they pursue Doran to the Bay hoping to head him off so that he cannot come back and make the conquer of Umbar final. Only once that is done can they worry about restoring the now anarchic Umbar.

Doran's Squadron

Quote:
At the Bay, Doran will have six ships plus his own: The Rapscallion. Each ship will be crewed by approximately 60 men (25-30 of which are archers for distance combat) plus a captain. Doran's ship, however, will have about 80 men and will be the highest quality of the seven. Even though it's not a very large amount of ships, each one is very fast and nearly invincible.

Smeared with tar to ensure lasting, all seven have a dreary black appearance to them. The canvas of each ship is also black. Each of his small squadron is very much like the frigate style of the British Navy in the 1700s. What is most notorious about these ships however is the fact that their bows and hulls are lined with iron, in select places to avoid sinking, for battering purposes. It is a sailor's nightmare in sea combat. Doran is in a very good position to take on the Gondorian navy with even so small a group of ships and the captains are very confident with themselves.
Any questions? Fell free to post or PM concerns. Let's get going! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

-Maikafanawen
Old 10-26-2003, 04:26 PM   #78
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

Wow, that's great Maika. *twitch, twitch*

Umm, if the murder that helps spark the whole revolt thing happens at the Low Tide Inn, do you want Telson to do anything? OR not do anything? Or even be there?
Old 10-26-2003, 07:15 PM   #79
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

Pipe

I thought I'd let you decide, Arvedui. *mysterious smile* I didn't put that there by sheer coincidence you know. But I guess you sort of figured that out. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] If Telson wants to do anything that's great. He can't get too involved though that would through off THE PLAN but feel welcome to sort of see something unusual that could be of use to Devon when they meet up. From the looks of it, the Gondorians are going to need all the help they can get. This Doran is a genius! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

-Maikafanawen
Old 10-26-2003, 08:11 PM   #80
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

Pipe

Let's get going everyone.

Nuranar: If you have not posted by 12:00 am on October 27th, then we're going to have to move on. The way this RPG works, I doubt that SAVES will be able to be used so often. We won't forget characters and posts can be added to the beginning or end of posts as we move along if necessary. Sound good? Usually, SAVES should be filled in within 24 hours of its posted date.

Allons-y!

-Maikafanawen