The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2007, 02:29 PM   #481
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up Correct, of course!

*gives aspirine for the headache*
Old 04-25-2007, 06:08 AM   #482
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Question

You won't believe how stupid I felt back then. For illustration, Hirgon was among the first possibilities I checked. I don't know how I could have forgotten Mr.Udalraph, especially when he was riding round Dol Guldur.

A sort of riddlish question: Tell me the name of this one who was surely a fine craftperson, though not as good as Fëanor, but still succeeded at one thing in which Fëanor failed.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:22 AM   #483
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Aule perhaps? he created the vessels in which the Sun and the Moon to travel the world, thus he created the light of the world, but Feanors Silmarils failed in its task.

also, i'm pretty sure in the Silmarillion Feanor was placed higher then Aule as a craftsmen
Old 04-25-2007, 08:51 AM   #484
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I would say Enerdhil
He is the legendary craftsman of Gondolin rumored to have made the first (and possibly only) Elessar
The stone could heal things. Feanor failed at this, as he refused to give Yavanna the Silmarils so that she could heal the trees, and the whole world as well...
Old 04-25-2007, 11:28 AM   #485
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Good attempts, but you both did one thing which I didn't mean in my riddle: Fëanor refused, from his own free will, not to give the Silmarils to Yavanna. You might consider it as failure, but I meant by it that Fëanor didn't succeed in something even though he wanted to.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 04-25-2007, 12:48 PM   #486
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Aha, now that you mentiont that aspect, I believe I know who you mean, it's good old Gimli.

He managed to get a hair of Galadriel's, which Feanor didn't, although he asked.
And Gimli is also a craftsman, but of course not as good as Feanor.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:37 PM   #487
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Thumbs up

Once again, correct, of course it was Gimli, precisely as you say.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:03 AM   #488
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Sorry about the time...
Who shares a name with a tree?
Old 05-01-2007, 10:15 AM   #489
Anáwiel
Pile O'Bones

Anáwiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Anáwiel Send a message via MSN to Anáwiel
Celeborn (the tree on Tol Eressea is named so, and the husband of Galadriel bears the same name)
Anáwiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:17 AM   #490
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Thumbs up

Correct
Old 05-01-2007, 10:29 AM   #491
Anáwiel
Pile O'Bones

1420! Great!

So, I guess it is my turn This one is easy, but I am not that good in trivia games as most of you
One elf (and his son) dwelt often as a guest in the dwarven mansions of Belegost and Nogrod and became skillful as a metalsmith. Who was that?
Old 05-03-2007, 06:26 AM   #492
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

I swear, I wanted to give someone else a chance, but I just can't leave an unanswered thread to rest in peace...

Eöl and Maeglin, you mean?
Old 05-03-2007, 10:35 AM   #493
Anáwiel
Pile O'Bones

Thumbs up

Correct.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:45 PM   #494
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Thumbs up

Fine, nice one it was. So then...

...give me the surnames of at least three characters who - consciously or just indirectly - served the Enemy (so that it does not confuse you, you might just imagine "who were evil" instead of it).
Old 05-03-2007, 06:13 PM   #495
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
(so that it does not confuse you, you might just imagine "who were evil" instead of it).
That bit really confused me!

Thalion
Turambar

hmm neither maeglin or Uldor seems to have a last name. . .neither does Saruman

Ok I have nothing so I am going to give a guess I am almost sertain is wrong, but my third guess will be

Gorlim the Unhappy

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:05 AM   #496
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

No, no, Rune, in your case, it'd be perhaps better if I stayed just with the first formulation "served the Enemy, consciously or indirectly" Neither Húrin nor Túrin served the Enemy at any point. And I wouldn't call them "evil" as well. You might use these examples to show you where are the "borders" of the terms I used.

Also, note please, that neither Turambar, nor Thalion, and certainly not Unhappy are surnames. Or, at least not how I meant it. Surname is, well, the family name, the name you have common with your son or father or whatever.

If there are any further questions, please don't be afraid to ask
Old 05-04-2007, 06:28 AM   #497
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

1. Barliman, Butterbur, who forgot about the message he was supposed to send and so indirectly helped the Nazgul track Frodo
2. Goatleaf, Harry and
3. Ferny, Bill who were suspected by Aragorn of doing work for the Nazgul

I also though about Hobbits, but none really helped Sauron
I actually had a more or less strange idea
It might also be that the Horblowers indirectly helped Sauron. Because of his cultivation of pipe-weed, it spread in the Shire and eventually even Saruman decided to purchase some. The squint-eyed Southerner that was on his way to Isengard to bring the pipe-weed was caught by the Nazgul and revealed precious information about The Shire and Baggins.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:38 AM   #498
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
No, no, Rune, in your case, it'd be perhaps better if I stayed just with the first formulation "served the Enemy, consciously or indirectly" Neither Húrin nor Túrin served the Enemy at any point. And I wouldn't call them "evil" as well. You might use these examples to show you where are the "borders" of the terms I used.

Also, note please, that neither Turambar, nor Thalion, and certainly not Unhappy are surnames. Or, at least not how I meant it. Surname is, well, the family name, the name you have common with your son or father or whatever.

If there are any further questions, please don't be afraid to ask
They sertainly did serve the enemy indirectly! Well in the sense that they served his purpose.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:47 AM   #499
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Good, good. Only I would except old Barney from it. Simply put: I'm looking for characters, who were evil and/or directly or indirectly served the Enemy. Barney was not evil, it was a mistake. The same on Túrin&co - their intention was not to do evil. Ah, yes, that's probably the best formulation: I'm seeking for three surnames of some who had evil intentions in mind. (and thus, indirectly served the Enemy)
Old 05-04-2007, 06:58 AM   #500
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

hehe thanks for clarifying. . .

Sackville-Baggins (debatable)
Wormtongue (or was he one of the enemies?)
Ferny

Old 05-04-2007, 07:02 AM   #501
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

You should try mentioning that in the beginning...
Ok, so you have two...
I'd add Baggins, Frodo
After he put on the Ring he became ensnared by it and definitely had evil intentions of controlling M-e; this served Sauron as he realised how close to destruction he was.

btw, I think Wormtongue is a title not a family name
Old 05-04-2007, 07:05 AM   #502
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Wormtongue is not a family name, as far as I know.
Sackville-Bagginses are debatable, as you said. Of course, we would mean Lotho here. But from what we know about Hobbits, and even from what is said in the Scouring of the Shire, it seems that his intentions were not actually evil. So, furthermore, we are leaving all hobbits out of that.

So, I believe here it is stated at the point I wanted it to appear: we're looking for three surnames of some who had evil intentions in mind. We do not include any hobbit in that. I'm waiting for your answers

EDIT: Cross-posted with TM. Frodo is another possibility, at the Sammath Naur point, but we might say, it was not his own will that was guiding him at that moment. He repented after that. I'm looking for some who didn't repent, I'm looking for some who really meant it (I think it was not Frodo's intention to rule Middle-Earth even at that moment), I'm looking for some, who would you really place into the rubric labeled "EVIL".

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 05-04-2007 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:12 AM   #503
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
Wormtongue is not a family name, as far as I know
No it is not, but you asked for a surname and that it is, just like Turambar is not a family name.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:18 AM   #504
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne
No it is not, but you asked for a surname and that it is, just like Turambar is not a family name.
And that's what I said earlier. Turambar or Wormtongue is... well... epitheton, or how would you call it. It's the problem of "surname" having seemingly more meanings in English, counting in even another name... I mean just "family name". So no Turambar, no Wormtongue, no Felagund...
Old 05-08-2007, 11:50 AM   #505
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Ok, so I have Goatleaf and Ferny so far.
And I need one more who did bad things and so helped Sauron.
But I can't find anyone, since all others have no family names, but titles or nicknames.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:22 AM   #506
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Yes, yes, Goatleaf and Ferny. However, the last one is the biggest trick. Hint: the answer is in the vicinage.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:25 AM   #507
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Eureka!
Bill Huggins!
I had almost forgotten that the troll actually had a family name...strange, isn't it?
And he did help Sauron, as he almost managed to kill Bilbo, which would have probably meant the failure of the Quest of Erebor.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:30 AM   #508
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Thumbs up

Of course, poor professor Huggins. Uh... that's not how it was... never mind... so, please take the thread
Old 05-10-2007, 06:53 AM   #509
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Who owned a red axe?
Old 05-10-2007, 06:56 AM   #510
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Dáin, he fought with Azog with that one.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:25 AM   #511
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Okay, I hope you agree with my answer and did not mean any other fellow with red axe whom I don't know...

To hold with the topic, who owned a red shield?
Old 05-13-2007, 08:13 AM   #512
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Yes, that was correct.
Erkenbrand.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:23 AM   #513
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quite obvious Please continue.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:05 AM   #514
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Please excuse the delay...
Here is a new one:

Who carried the banner of Rohan initially at the Pelennor Fields?
Old 05-19-2007, 01:40 PM   #515
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might
Please excuse the delay...
Here is a new one:

Who carried the banner of Rohan initially at the Pelennor Fields?

quite sure it was Gamling
Old 05-20-2007, 03:22 AM   #516
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Gamling wasn't even there...
Old 05-20-2007, 10:12 AM   #517
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
As far as I remember it was Gúthlaf.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:07 PM   #518
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Thumbs up

correct
Old 05-20-2007, 01:36 PM   #519
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'm too bad at inventing these

Who carried the news that started the War of the Dwarves and the Orcs?
Old 05-20-2007, 01:37 PM   #520
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Náin I believe (I once wrote a cartoon about it )

EDIT: Baah, take it back. Actually, it was Nár, I checked it now. I knew it was some "Ná..."

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 05-20-2007 at 01:44 PM.