Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2004, 03:17 AM   #161
Will Witfoot
Haunting Spirit

Will Witfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Himaran, I have a post ready about Gortek's feelings about the journey south and on the arrival to Rhûn. Would it be possible to put it into that save of your's, since I don't have time at the moment to add to it and write about the journey over the mountains. My next post will be made by tommorow night.

Here is the post:

Will Witfoot's post

From the beginning Gortek had been joyed by the arrival of some fresh company, and the last couple of weeks had certainly not dulled that feeling. Even the apparent distrust that some of the party's numbers seemed to hold against the three companions couldn't bring him down.

During his journeys he had, of course, heard rumors and stories about the land of Rhûn. Everyone with the slightest inkling of the subject claimed that Rhûn was filled with a myriad of natural treasure, but that in it's jungles, death stalked those foolhardy enough to cross it's borders.
He wasn't worried about the potential dangers of the journey. If he had wanted a safe and secure life he wouldn't have made travelling his chosen way of life.
As for the promise of possible riches, Gortek had a hard time containing his excitement. Where ever there was wealth to be gained, he couldn't be kept out.

The simple thought of all the upcoming excitement made him want to burst out in mirth. Even now he couldn't entirely suppress a jolly cackle from escaping now and then. Completely caught up in his daydreaming, he failed to notice that the rest of the company were giving him some berth, seemingly unnerved by his mad laughter.

That was when he heard Bali call: "Over the next hill, we may be able to see the sea! We made it, laddies, were here!"

Gortek almost leapt next to the expedition's leader, eager to catch a glimpse of the fabled land of untold riches and death.
Judging by the gasps of surprise, cries of disappointment and the confused look on Bali's face Rhûn wasn't what they had expected it to be.
Gortek's own expectations concerning the place had always been vague, as news of Rhûn were for the most part very scarce. From what little he had heard though, he knew that entering the land wasn't going to be easy.

He glanced at the company.
"Well, what did ye expect? 'Course it's got to be difficult ta get in, otherwise all the riches would have been taken by now."

He joined the others as they began to trudge southward, looking for a way that would grant them passage into the land of Rhûn.
They had been travelling for several hours when they found what they had been looking for. Overhead, high in the mountains, one could see a high pass that cut it’s way between two ancient and mighty peaks. To get there, though, they would have to scale up the sheer face of the rocky cliff that arose from the earth like a natural wall. It seemed like Rhûn itself wanted to be left alone into its brooding solitude.
Herein, it is said, the power of Ulmo was shown. For he gathered tidings of all that passed in Beleriand, and every stream that flowed from Middle-earth to the Great Sea was to him a messenger, both to and fro
Old 05-27-2004, 07:25 AM   #162
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Will - I placed it in the appropriate spot.

Alright, we made it!

Now, we enter the dense jungle. It is time to get lost in the maze. All the while, we get closer to the sea, but get more and more lost.

PROBLEMS THAT NEED TO OCCUR: - I don't want to do this by myself:

Jungle is uncomfortable. Flies, snakes, etc.
Dwarves get lost, think that they are going in circles.
The map (useless as it is) gets blown off by the wind.
A dwarf stumbled of the side of a plateau. Holding onto the edge, he is forced to drop his provisions in order to survive.
Once they stumble upon a path, there is a roadblock. They are forced to enter the jungle again!

Other posibilities:

Harassment by Rhunians?
Minor injuries - broken hand? Fingers?

Final Destination:

Reaching the Sea of Rhun. (accidentally)
Old 05-28-2004, 10:40 AM   #163
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Novnarwen will deal with the following in her post:

Jungle is uncomfortable. Flies, snakes, etc.
Dwarves get lost, think that they are going in circles.

People still need to post about the following:

The map (useless as it is) gets blown off by the wind.
A dwarf stumbled of the side of a plateau. Holding onto the edge, he is forced to drop his provisions in order to survive.
Once they stumble upon a path, there is a roadblock. They are forced to enter the jungle again!

Seriously, why do I keep getting the feeling that I am the only person writing in this RPG? Some of you are posting regularly, but most are not. The game only has 30 days left. This is the INTERESTING part of the game, and no one is posting at all. The game is always at the bottom of the Shire.

I don't want to be harsh, but if you are having problems at least let me know. You need to post in the game thread twice a week for this game to finish, and it is not happening. Some of you haven't posted for a month or so.

I love RPGS - I love this game, and I know it can be successful and interesting. But we won't have time for interesting happenings at the sea and in the caves in people don't post and move the game along. I don't want to take up 5 consectutive posts on the discussion thread yelling at people to fulfill their obligations.

Please, lets finish this one out in a decent manner.

Himaran.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:07 PM   #164
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Novnarwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Novnarwen Send a message via Yahoo to Novnarwen
Question Posters?

I've filled my save. Hope it is alright that Dwalin was bitten by a snake. I don't know how bad it is yet, all depends on whether it was poisonous (?) ....

Anyway, I am not trying to criticize, but I feel I have to say it anyway.

I love this game, but it's really hard to write posts. This particularly, since there are so many players who have 'dropped out' in one way or another. (That is at least the impression I have.) Therefore, I think it's difficult to interact with other characters in a way I would think was more exciting, in a way I would normally want to. I mean, it seems to me that none of the characters are even talking to each other, exchanging thoughts etc.

I know I was probably exaggerating there, but I feel that the characters are never getting to really know each other.

Anyhow, if we want this to really evolve into an extraordinary Dwarven adventure, with these nice twists, we need to get more posters.

I’m not trying to criticize or offend anyone, but it's a fact (or at least for me) that I find it very difficult to write posts in this RPG for the reason mentioned above.

Cheers,
Nova

(I will delete this post if you think it is offending or etc.)
Old 05-28-2004, 03:24 PM   #165
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
I couldn't agree with you more Nova, and I'm sorry to everyone if I haven't been posting as much as I would normally but I am trying to as often as I can! Plus my "e" key hasn't been working, I have to press it three times before it works!

Now to the game:

I just got rid of the [useless] map, but are there any dwarves in the group who know how to take care of a snake bite? Could come in handy right about now...

LET'S GET POSTING!
Old 05-28-2004, 04:43 PM   #166
Will Witfoot
Haunting Spirit

Well, I just handled the part where a dwarf loses his provisions while dangling from the cliff side.

I agree with Novnarwen, although I'm quite aware that I'm one of those 'slackers'. Once more I appologise for that, but I did have a horrendous amount of schoolwork to do. Now that my vacations begun, however, it's a completely different story .

I will from now on keep a steady stream of posts coming. Lets hope we can get this game up & running properly again!
Herein, it is said, the power of Ulmo was shown. For he gathered tidings of all that passed in Beleriand, and every stream that flowed from Middle-earth to the Great Sea was to him a messenger, both to and fro
Old 05-28-2004, 05:04 PM   #167
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Dwalin is fine.

Gortek was pulled up, but he lost his pack. It had rope and provisions in it.

NOW: The dwarves go along the Plateau. Their path is soon blocked by an bunch of trees and rocks.

Remember: Before we reach the sea, the dwarves need to be in a poor physical and mental state. That means:

After going back into the jungle following the roadblock, the dwarve's food is ripped through by.... animals.... or Rhunians, if they post.

So....

We lose our food supply, and start getting hungry.
More injuries.
Tempers grow raw.

Then, we hit the sea.... We hit the sea on Wednesday, June 2.

About posters and non posters.

In essence, this game is going very poorly. There has been no bonding between characters because few characters ever post. This is solely there fault not that of those who have posted regularly.

I am not mad at anyone, just frustrated that friendships have not been forged between the dwarves, travellers, etc. Just rifts!

But maybe it is better this way - the company will bond when they are pitted against the Rhunians. The game could still end quite well, if people are willing to post.

Arvedui III: Time to start posting. We will meet your character soon!
Old 05-28-2004, 07:10 PM   #168
Arestevana
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arestevana has just left Hobbiton.
I put up a post for Maulká. Fellow Natives, if you have any objections to how I used your characters, I'm happy to adjust. We need to get out into the Jungle and start harassing the dwarves, methinks.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:14 AM   #169
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

It would be nice and thoughtful of people to continue posting in order to have this game be successfully completed. Thank you for your cooperation.

A slightly hoarse,
Himaran
Old 05-30-2004, 07:59 PM   #170
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

My name is officially mud, thick slimy dung infested mud.
I have posted, and will try to do so more often, its difficult for me to move the story alone; I'm not very good at doing that sort of thing. Since our bags have been raided, do we still have our weapons? If not its really going to become more difficult and frustrating for our Dwarves and travellers.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:57 PM   #171
bilbo_baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In my front hallway, grabbing my staff, about to head out my door
bilbo_baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to bilbo_baggins
I am extremely sorry about not posting as regularly as might be desired, Himaran and Pio. I would love to try to see the game to its proper end, whatever it may be.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:37 AM   #172
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Important! Read ALL of this!

We lose our food supply, and start getting hungry.
More injuries.
Tempers grow raw.

This has been done.

Rhunians: To tie all of this together, post about taking the dwarves bags, and releasing snakes in the camp, and other things that have happened. This will explain everything better.

In my last post, a warg of sorts attacked the company, so they have a little food. Rhunians: perhaps these creatures are your pets; tracking animals. And maybe the three of you who are out in the jungle set it loose on us?

Dwarves: Well, my misery itinerary is just about spent, now that Bali has injured his foot. Your next two posts need to bring us to the sea.

About the Sea

The "sea" is more like a huge lake, with its only inlet being from freshwater sources. It is beautiful; shiny, sparkling, with a nice sandy beach surrounding it. And, after all, it has the shining lights. Treasure!
Old 05-31-2004, 09:58 AM   #173
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

Sorry about not posting for a while. I'll try to keep it up on a more timely basis.

In my last post, I mentioned that the other Rhunians, while in the forest, were not techincally with my character. This is because a) Maulka made it clear that she wanted to hunt alone, and b) Bestailan never anwered me.

If it comes down to it, and the other two don't post, I can carry their characters to a certain degree, but I'd really rather not, since I don't know thier characters and they wouldn't be true to thier intended purpose.

Well, that's what I've got to say for now.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:50 PM   #174
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Haenir/Saraphim: Great Posts!

Important: Whoever posts for the dwarves next needs to move us through the Canyon. In the Canyon there is a side path that leads east. The dwarves look at it, wondering where it leads. It leads to the Rhunian's Cave Entrance. Thus, a dwarf might have a premonition that evil lingers in that passage. But either way, the dwarves ignore it and continue through the canyon to its end. Then they see the sun shining brightly on the ground.

It is THE SEA! And I post and describe it following our arrival.

Rhunians: I have a proposition.

Remember what I told you about the sea, and how you think that one particular aspect of it is sacred. The dwarves will desecrate it, in your view. Thus, you would get quite angry about it!

If Bestialen's Owner does not post in two days, we will have Bestialen attack the dwarves alone, and be killed.

Pio: Correct me if I'm wrong, but Bestialen's owner has not posted on either thread for over a month, right? Just making sure - if the player (I can't even remember who) has done so, we won't kill Bestialen off.

Himaran
Old 05-31-2004, 12:52 PM   #175
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Since some have asked, here is a summary of the condition of the dwarves:

A little warg meat
No other food
No bags
No map
No equipment except any armor and weapons they had on them - THEY DO HAVE WEAPONS!
Old 05-31-2004, 01:32 PM   #176
Arestevana
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim- Perhaps I didn't make this clear enough, but I wished to have Maulká actually hunting in cooperation with the others. She had just become impatient and was waiting for the others by the exit. It is quite alright for them to go seperately, but might they link up later on?
Old 05-31-2004, 01:41 PM   #177
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Since Eruwen (Bestialan) hasn't posted in so long and hasn't responded to any of my PM's, please feel free to take over the character and do with him as benefits the game.

~*~ Pio
Old 05-31-2004, 07:30 PM   #178
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Eye

Oh! Everything is clear now. Thanks, Arestevana, for saying something, or I would have blundered about for a while. We could link up later on, perhaps when either hear from Eruwen or Bestialan gets killed off from lack of posting.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:22 AM   #179
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Dwarves/Travelers: Get us to the sea, following these instructions

Whoever posts for the dwarves next needs to move us through the Canyon. In the Canyon there is a side path that leads east. The dwarves look at it, wondering where it leads. It leads to the Rhunian's Cave Entrance. Thus, a dwarf might have a premonition that evil lingers in that passage. But either way, the dwarves ignore it and continue through the canyon to its end. Then they see the sun shining brightly on the ground.

POST!

4 weeks left to go. I have worked out a schedule, and we can finish comfortably on time if people continue to post regularly.

Himaran

Last edited by Himaran; 06-01-2004 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:46 PM   #180
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Eye

I had Nephil lay out plans with Maulká in my last post. If they do not correspond with things already in motion, I'll edit swiftly, but I figured I'd get things in motion a bit.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:21 PM   #181
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Water!

We finally made it to the sea of Ruhn, and before any dwarves went mad too! But good things never seem to last...

Himaran- Just so you know: The next 2 or 3 weeks I'll be having exams, EQAO, and all that fun end of the year stuff. I should be able to still post regularly and if not then you can just carry my character along, but I don't think there should be a problem.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:24 PM   #182
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

[B]The secret of the Sea of Rhun has been revealed.[/I]

My post covers a long time period. If anyone wants anything to happen BEFORE Bestialen attacks, post it on the Discussion Thread, and I will put it in the game.

Rhunians:

Bestialen attacked alone. Perhaps, after watching the battle and seeing what good fighters the dwarves are, you have a double take and decide to head back to the caves. Then the dwarves find your tracks and follow you to the entrance.

BTW, Aresteva, I made us of your putting the snake in Durin's pack...

Carlas:

Thanks for the notice. I doubt there will be a problem.

Himaran

Last edited by Himaran; 06-01-2004 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:19 AM   #183
bilbo_baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In my front hallway, grabbing my staff, about to head out my door
bilbo_baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to bilbo_baggins
I am willing to post soon, Himaran. If Bestialen comes alone, can we still kill him, even if he is a pretty major character? Thanks.

I am rarin' to go and kill some Rhunians.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:48 AM   #184
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Bilbo: YES! Post away! Have the company fight Bestialen (he attacked alone because he was horried that we desecrated the sacred waters) and kill him!

Eruwen has not posted in any thread since April 24th (I think?). Her character (in my last post) attacked the travelers.

Himaran
Old 06-03-2004, 11:26 AM   #185
Will Witfoot
Haunting Spirit

I'd like this post put in before the death of Kain and the attack of Bestialan. I'll make another post later tonight or on tommorow morning.

EDIT BY PIO - The following post is now on the game.

Will Witfoot's post

Gortek marched on moodily beside the straggling line formed by his ragged and weary comrades, taking his sword to any bush or clump of weeds blocking his path. He swatted at a huge beetle possessed of a metallic sheen crawling on the back of his neck and spat out a curse. The accursed jungle was slowly wearing the party down, and even the mad dwarf's endurance was stretched to the limit.

He glanced at the young dwarves shuffling along like corpses with a gait crippled by the heat and eyes dimmed by fatigue and hardship. He knew that it was undeniably worse for the beardlings, who were not used to such hardship and danger. He wondered if they would be the breaking point for this party, the part from whence would begin the destruction of this expedition.
While Bali was a natural and able leader, the group lacked the bonding and camaraderie so desperately vital to any adventurers. You could never know when your life was going to be in the hands of your companions, after all, and the group was only as strong as it's weakest member.

The party continued to progress with a pace crippled by the harshness of the surrounding environment. After trudging on for what seemed like eternity they reached a well trodden path which seemed to head to the east. They stopped for a moment to debate about their next course and Gortek slumped down onto a boulder lying by the side of the path. It was important to harbor one's strength and rest whenever possible when facing such a cruel aspect of nature.
He felt more weary than he could ever remember feeling, in body as well as in spirit. Normally his indomitable happiness prevented him from loosing heart and gave him the strength to go on, but here, in this green, rotting hell that was the jungle he couldn't help feeling his age.

Hearing a bestial screech sounding from farther along the debated path, the group quickly changed their decision to take up along it. Instead, Bali and Haenir led them along the floor of the Canyon yawning in front of them and the march continued.
Gortek was jerked from his reverie by cries of "The Sea!" and "We found it at last!". Almost not daring to believe his ears he glanced up and spotted the silvery gleam visible from between the great trees, a gleam that could only point out to one thing.

With a new found vigor, Gortek joined the rest of the party in a wild dash for the Sea. Soon the trees parted to make way for the expanse of fine, white sand that was the shore. Gortek gained back his cheerfulness in an eye blink, giving a wild whoop of joy. Even the devil-spawned insects had been left behind into the jungle.

The moment Bali exclaimed that the water was drinkable, Gortek plunged his entire head into it, gulping and swallowing greedily. He resurfaced and hastily pulled off his leather gauntlets and plunged in again, this time sinking his arms into the sweet water up to the elbows. The coolness felt unbelievably good after weeks spent in the humid jungle.

After drinking enough and bathing in the Sea Gortek sat on the golden sand of it's shores, smoking the last of his tobacco. Behind him a few of the young dwarves were setting up the tent and getting a fire going. It looked like they might yet conquer this land.

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-03-2004 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:53 AM   #186
Arestevana
Shade of Carn Dûm

Here is a post to be fit into the relevant save.

EDIT BY PIO: This post has been placed on the game

“Bestialán!” Maulká breathed, watching the man charge the loathsome creatures who had desecrated the sacred waters. Maulká watched, thinking, He is a fool, but only if he is killed. If he is victorious, he will be called hero. Aloud she said, “It seems we have found Bestialán.”
“He is outnumbered,” said Nephil. “He will be killed.”
“Yes, and he doesn’t need our help to do that,” Maulká replied. “I have no wish to die fighting beside a fool.”

They watched as the dwarves recovered from Bestialán’s wild attack. Once the element of surprise had faded, numbers quickly turned the battle. Even the native warrior’s superior reach and skill brought down only a few of his opponents, whether dead or merely injured Maulká could not tell.

She and Nephil watched the battle impassively. Bestialán fought well, but he was soon overwhelmed. The faint moon was sinking when Nephil murmured, “Spirits protect his spirit,” and the sounds of battle were silenced. Maulká observed the creatures return warily to their camp. “They fight with more skill than I had expected, and their numbers are too great for us to overcome.” She noted. “We should return to the caves. Others will join the fight when they hear of the sullying of the sacred water, and Bestialán’s family should know of his death.”

Nephil agreed, and they crept past the creature that stood guard nearby, moving more quickly as they reached the canyon entrance. They hurried toward the eastern tunnel, merging with shadows in the hour before dawn.

Anyone- I will not be able to post again until sometime on Monday. Please feel free to carry Maulká if it becomes neccessary.

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-04-2004 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:45 PM   #187
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Great Post Aresteva!

Dwarves: Fill in the saves! Bestialen attacks, minorly-injures/knocks-unconcious a few members of the company, but is eventually overcome and slain. He fights with incredible agility and strength, swinging his blades in a confusing and deadly patern.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:00 PM   #188
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
I've just PM-ed Himaran a post in which I describe the battle between the company and the company, but it occurs to me I should post it here instead so you all know how it goes:

The strange Man from the forest whirled and darted amongst the company like a demon from the stories of old, his knives flashing in the moonlight like the movements of an animals talons. He drove at Bali first, who had been amongst the first of the Dwarves to recover from the shock of his attack, and had it not been for the quick reactions of Durin and Hænir, who were soon at their leader’s side, it would surely have gone badly for Bali. At first, Hænir was confident that the battle would soon be over, for they were many against a lone warrior – but the speed with which the Man moved, and his almost magical ability to see through the darkness that cloaked the beach were amazing.

Having been countered in his initial attack on Bali, the Man swung on Hænir. The Dwarf was able to counter the lightning-like blow with the shaft of his axe, and with a speed that almost matched that of his enemy, Hænir swung for the Man’s legs. So practiced was Hænir in this move that it did not occur to him it would fail, but the Man leapt into the air as the axe whirred through the space where his legs should be. Simultaneously, he lunged at Hænir with his knife, and only by lowering his head just in time was the Dwarf able to catch the point of the weapon upon the dauntless steel of his helm, rather than have the blade sink deep into the eye socket for which it had been aimed. Like a cat, the Man twisted in the air and came down on Hænir’s back, driving him into the earth, he then spun and threw himself upon the other members of the party.

As he struggled to his feet, Hænir heard the hue and crash of a hotly contested battle. He turned to rejoin the fray and realised that their opponent had cunningly managed to lead them all closer to the edge of the forest and under the darkness of the overhanging canopy where his apparent ability to see through the darkness was giving him the advantage. Hænir watched as two Dwarves fell with wounds, but the inky shadows beneath the trees made it impossible for him to tell who had been injured. He heard the unmistakeable sound of Bali’s voice crying out orders, but the clamour drowned out his words. Hænir stood beyond the edge of the shadows, looking in with the greatest intent. As luck would have it, a sudden breeze tossed the branches of the tree that shrouded the battle, allowing a single shaft of wan moonlight to pierce the scene. In that moment, Hænir saw the form of the Man standing over the stumbling form of Bali, his knife poised for the deathblow. Without having to think of what he was doing, Hænir hefted his axe above his head with both arms, and with a well-practiced move he sent it whirling through the air. There was the sound of tempered steel rending bone and flesh, and a slow strangled cry. The wind died and the shadows once more fell over the scene. Hænir rushed forward, unsure if he had hit the Man or his leader. He called out, “Bali! Bali! Are you all right, lad?”

“Aye,” came the slow reply. “Better at any rate than this fellow.” Hænir came to Bali’s side and looked down at their enemy where he lay with Hænir’s axe buried in his spine.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:11 PM   #189
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Fordim

Did you want this placed? Or are you awaiting an OK from Himaran?

~*~ Pio
Old 06-04-2004, 03:11 PM   #190
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

I placed Fordim's post in the correct area, so that does it for the battle posts. We have (based on my ever changing game schedule) until Monday, June 7th to enter the caves. Today or tomorrow, I will post a detailed description of the rest of the game, so people can start posting without waiting for my to yell at them.

Himaran
Old 06-05-2004, 08:43 AM   #191
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Ok: Here is a schedule for half of the remaining part of the game. I figure that if I reveal it to you now, you will be better able to post without having to wait for me to confirm something.

Rhunians:

Go to your leaders and report that you found an extraordinary large catch.
While you are giving your report, guards come and say that the catch has entered the cave system.
Your leaders decide: "Let them come deeper, farther."

Prisoner:

Hear's odd sounds.
Suddenly, a group of travelers breaks through your door.

Dwarves/Travelers:

Stumble around caves.
"This seems to be a door."
They break through it, only to find Arvedui III's character

Rhunians:

"They have broken into the hushed room!" (where catches are kept). "We can no longer wait."
The Rhunians (maybe twenty or so) hurry through the tunnels, heading for the prisoner's room.

Dwarves/Travelers/Prisoner:

"Something approaches."
"Stand ready, weapons out!"
Bali and Haenir shove the door back into place and brace it with two rocks.
The elf (I can never remember his name!) draws back two shafts. Hatchets are readied.
Then the dwarves hear noises behind them, they start to turn...
"Hold fast! Bali shouts. "It may be a trick - they will come. Durin, see if anything is there." And nothing is.

Rhunians:

The door won't budge. They bring in a small trunk, and pound it against the stone a few times. It collapses.

General Battle Scene: Anyone can post at this time.

The outcome is. Several dwarves are injured (not seriously), and everyone survives. About five Rhunian's die, and they retreat into the tunnels.

[b]Please: to make this go smoothly, take a section - one or two lines - and write about it from your characters point of view. If we all take bits and pieces of this IN ORDER, you won't all have to wait around for me to tell you what to write.

From now on, it is your responsibility as players to move the plot along. I will motivate, and post as well - But not five times in a row.

Lets Move!

Himaran
Old 06-06-2004, 02:53 PM   #192
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting Nasssty little things

Isn't it ironic how I *complain* about few posters, and then three days after my computer breaks down and I'm not able to go properly on before the 6th of June (today) ?????!!!

I'm really sorry, I feel so bad about this. I've managed to read the last page of the RPG though. I haven't posted since the 28th and there has been loads of posts after that, so.... Anyway, I won't be able to post now since my computer time is up... but...I PROMISE AT LEAST ONE POST TOMORROW, HIMARAN....

Computers are nasssssty little things..
Yet again, sorry.

The slightly unhappy
Nova
Old 06-06-2004, 06:45 PM   #193
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

[b]Ok: here are the next posts that need to be done by someone OTHER THAN ME!!!

Arvedui III: I put a save up for you so the game can keep going.

Prisoner:

Hears odd sounds.
Suddenly, a group of travelers breaks through your door.

Dwarves/Travelers:

Break through the door, only to find Arvedui III's character.

Arvedui III's character is a young Gondorian man, wearing Gondorian clothing. He has been there for some time now, so he is dirty and has a haunted appearance. After all, the sounds, and the leather, and the sting of the whip... They torture their victims, you see.

[b]Rhunians:

"They have broken into the hushed room!" (where catches are kept). "We can no longer wait."
The Rhunians (maybe twenty or so) hurry through the tunnels, heading for the prisoner's room.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:14 PM   #194
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! Hey!

I'm sorry for the lengthy disappearance. But I'm back on a regular basis now. I promise to post sometime today - tomorrow for our comrades east of the IDL.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:45 AM   #195
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Ok, my post covered a few things - the door has been barricaded, and the D/T/P are ready for a fight!

Here's what must happen next:

Rhunians:

The door won't budge. You bring in a small trunk, and pound it against the stone a few times. It collapses.

General Battle Scene: Anyone can post at this time.

The outcome is:

Several dwarves are injured (not seriously).
All D/T/Psurvive.
About 5 Rhunian's die
Rhunians: retreat into the tunnels.

Remember Dwarves:

These are very good fighters. Please: no "easy kills" where you swing at them and they fall over dead. Only exception is a hatchet or arrow kill when they bust through.

Himaran
Old 06-07-2004, 01:22 PM   #196
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dark-Eye Catching up....

Okay, here are three posts. They are quite short, mind you, but I hope they are all right. I'll try to put up another save now, and fill it soon.

This post should be placed after Esgallhugwen's post: reply #81 on the Game Thread, Page Three, first post.

POSTED BY PIO

They awoke the next morning discovering that their food was gone. To Dwalin's great sorrow their provision couldn't be found. They searched the place, but nothing was left of their food. The Dwarf shook with rage. So much had gone wrong; the snake bite, the long way, which had turned to be unexpectedly hard to find, and now their food was gone. They barely had anything to eat at all! How were they going to survive in this jungle? Furious by their latest loss, Dwalin sulked all morning. Nothing could cheer him up, not even his longing for the treasures; if there were any in this horrible place. It struck him that this might be the end to their adventure, which made him even more unhappy about the fact that they had travelled so far for noting. If there indeed was a treasure, they would have to find it quickly however.

As Bali announced their departure from their current campsite, Dwalin rose from the stone he had settled on and went over to Bali.

"What's going on?" he asked frowning and eyes shifting. What was frightened him the most was Bali's look, which gave Dwalin the impression that he was uncertain. Suddenly, a feeling of anger arose in Dwalin and his eyes reflected this.

"It'll be okay," Bali assured him, patting him on the back. "Now, let's get going," he continued, muttering it into Dwalin's ear. He only wished Bali hadn't said this to comfort him. He hoped he had meant it, and that his was fully aware of what he was doing. Pressing forwards now, would mean so without much food and without a map. Both things had been important during their long journey, and now they had neither. Could they possibly survive here in the jungle, without the necessary provisions they had been depending on earlier? Where would the find their food, and what if the sea was too far away from them to reach it, as they didn't have much water left either? These thoughts scared him, but he remained silent, but sulky, as they set out for another days' journey still hearing Bali's words buzzing around in his mouth:

"We must press on, we will not have come all this way for nothing"

Dwalin avoided the other's looks. He felt sure they were talking behind his back, whispering foul words about him and their misfortune. However, he didn't really pay attention; he was trudging in his own pace, left in his own thoughts. Maybe he just didn't care anymore. Obviously something, or someone, was trying to prevent them for getting what the dwarven company was after. Dwalin just didn't understand why.

Below Himaran's post at page three. Reply 91, at the very bottom.

POSTED BY PIO

Novnarwen's post

Reaching the sea appeared to be the best thing on this journey yet. Finally, Dwalin too, cheered up. It was such a beautiful place. The water gave a trickling noise, which comforted Dwalin. The blue-green surface was bathed in the fading sun, and the dwarf smiled once more. He couldn't believe it at first however. The whole scenery, which he found himself in, seemed so surreal. It was like a dream-world which you only enter when you're asleep. It was idyllic. Yes, even Dwalin could put his hatred towards the jungle to rest now.

Ordered to get the tent out, he strode off and unpacked it. To his horror he discovered a long slimy oblong thing, having a great time inside the tent. Trying to relax and be calm, he grabbed his axe. Halfway running after it, he tried to make an end to its pitiful life, but missed by an inch. He dried his brow with the back of his hand, sweating like mad. He realised soon enough though, that he had been able to be perfectly civilised while handling the little creature. Proud of his accomplishment, he carried on; putting up the tent properly.

Nevertheless of Dwalin's accomplishment, the night ended terribly. To Dwalin's surprise, Kain had gone over to Dwalin's side just after putting up the tent, telling him (amongst other things) that he longed to prove himself useful. Dwalin who hadn't considered this to be at all very suspicious, saw to his surprise later that very evening, Kain braking the glassy surface of the water. Struggling to get up for air, Dwalin turned his head towards him, blinked, and saw him no more. He didn't realise that Bali had gone after him, but was already on his way back as the shore as the devilish fishes had indeed been Kain's downfall.

Unable to react as he would usually have done, he stood stiff watching the water stream over his companion. "No!" he found himself screaming, but there was nothing he could do. Reproaching himself, being shocked, he claimed his feeling of guilt. "It was my fault. He told me he was going to go out and find the treasure, to prove that he was strong and old enough to look after himself." He didn't hear Bali's reply, but he could see by the look in his eye that he wasn't blaming Dwalin for this accident However, nothing could help Dwalin now. Too shocked for his own good, he didn't notice a man coming out of nowhere attacking the dwarves.

This should be placed at the bottom of Himaran's post. It's reply #93.

POSTED BY PIO

Novnarwen's post

As surprising as a lightening from clear sky, the attacker had come forwards and gone straight towards Bali. No one where really prepared for this battle, but the dwarves and the three travellers, where cast, unwillingly, into it. Dwalin looked nervously around, rising his axe aggressively. He turned to see Bali being cast into the air, landing several feet away from the attacker. The unknown man turned his attention to Hænir, who amongst others was backed up by Durin.

Dwalin wanted to rush over at Hænir’s side too, as his companion was forced to the ground by the barbarian. However, in his eagerness as he was about to run over to help, he tripped and fell to the ground. His face buried in the sand, he felt his nose crack. Blood streamed out of it, and made the sandy ground red. All the same he could feel his back ache and in his leg, where he had been bitten by the snake, pain arose and made him shiver. Unable to rise, by fear or pain he didn't know, he lay watching the wild man attacking his companions.

After a few seconds, which felt like minutes, the pain in his back and leg stopped and Dwalin made himself able to stand up. Axe raised, anger in his eyes, he darted over to the wild man. But just as he came over, ready to give his utter most in the battle, which had come like a surprise, he heard the sound of Hænir's heavy breath going over to a sigh. He had flung his blade into the man's flesh. Writhing in agony, the attacker fell to the ground.

Being witness to this he could think of no one other than Bali. Being assured he was okay, Dwalin breathed heavily; happy that everyone was alive.

Pio (or the posters of these replies), do you mind putting them up for me?
Please ket me know if they need editing.

Thanks in advance,
Nova

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALL DONE! ~*~ PIO

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-07-2004 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:28 PM   #197
Arestevana
Shade of Carn Dûm

I'm back, and have posted for my character. The barricade has been broken down. (Fight nicely, children. )
Old 06-08-2004, 08:09 AM   #198
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Ok, I got a fight scene up. 2 Rhunians down, 3 to go! First come first served, as only five are killed - you can injure as many as you like, however.

Get those fight scenes up!

Himaran
Old 06-08-2004, 01:09 PM   #199
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
One more Rhunian dead -- and one pretty badly injured.

Khazad!!
Old 06-08-2004, 03:48 PM   #200
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Rhunians:

Time to break off and retreat. You lost quite a few warriors.

Dwarves:

KILL, KILL, KILL! Once the Rhunian(s) post(s), the battle is over.

Himaran