Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2004, 02:49 PM   #161
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
GREEN DRAGON INN FACTS:

It is the 4th Age, year 12. By the Shire Calendar it is year 1433 S.R. (Shire Reckoning).

King Elessar is on the throne of the Reunited Kingdom of Arnor and Gondor.

Mirkwood has been reclaimed by the Elves and is now called Eryn Lasgalen.

Paladdin Took, Pippin’s father, is Thain of the Shire. (Thain is an honorary title for the military leader of the Shire. The title has been held in the Took Family since the position was first established in 3rd Age 1979 with Bucca of the Marish as First Thain.) Paladdin Took dies in year 13, and will be succeeded by his son, Peregrin, ‘Pippin’, Took.

Samwise Gamgee is Mayor of the Shire, having succeeded Will Whitfoot in 1427 S.R.

The Innkeeper, in the Green Dragon Inn of this forum, is:
Aman – a young woman from Rohan.

Before her, the Innkeeper was Piosenniel, and before her it was Dwarin, the Dwarf.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Other ongoing characters in the Inn:

Ruby Brown, Hobbit – not married – server and maid

Buttercup Brownlock, Hobbit – not married – kitchen assistant and maid

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Ongoing characters from outside the Inn:

Halfred Whitfoot – local Shiriff from Bywater and Postmaster for this area of the Shire; his pony’s name is Dumpling.

Fredgar Hornblower – local Shiriff from Hobbiton – played by Fool of a Took

Please Note:

No 'SAVES' are allowed in the Inn.

With the exception of the Innkeeper and the Moderators, no OOC (Out Of Character) comments are allowed in the Inn.

Only the Innkeeper, Amanaduial, or the Moderators move the timeline for the Inn forward.

Visitors to the Inn will need to read the posts that come before theirs to get an idea of what time it is in the Shire, what the weather is like, and what is happening.

Please be familiar with the rules for the Inn and Games in The Red Book of Westmarch, the first topic in the Shire.

IT IS NOW MID AFTERNOON. THE WEATHER IS PLEASANT.

THE INN IS ALLL BACK TOGETHER AFTER THE FIRE. PLANS ARE BEING MADE FOR A REOPENING PARTY.

Party Planning Note:

Please include the party preparations in your posts for the next few days as the placard below suggests. All party preparations will hopefully be completed by late Thursday afternoon (real time), March 18, at which time I will move the Inn forward to the evening and the party will begin.

Cami Goodchild, Shire Mod (Child of the 7th Age)

Hawthorne's placard:

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED

Time is fleeting! The Green Dragon would appreciate your help in preparing the Inn for the party. Please consider helping with any of these chores.
[list=1][*]Prepare your favorite dish to share with other partygoers.[*]Help arrange the tables, set out the flowers, and string up a welcoming banner at the entrance to the Dragon.[*]Replant the seedlings in the Inn's rear courtyard.[*]Mosts important of all, bring out your fiddles, flutes and other instruments to get ready for the party.[/list=1]

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 03-17-2004 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:55 PM   #162
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Witch_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Aduthondiel
"Crystal you don't have to leave. I'm the one that needs to leave. I have caused too much trouble as it is." She turned around to face the girl. She seemed only a child to Aduthondiel. All she had to do was leave the Shire and never look back. It was simple.

"I will leave after the party is over. I wish to spend one more night with my friends." It all sounded to easy for her. After all Crystal had came to the shire before her. "Crystal it is only right. You have a life now. Don't waste it. Remember LIFE IS PRECIOUS!" Aduthondiel looked at her horse and began to remember their journey from Rohan to the Shire. "You must stay. I will go. Don't argue with me child. That is the way I must let it be."
Old 03-18-2004, 06:35 AM   #163
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Crystal Heart has just left Hobbiton.
Crystal looked up in shock. She couldn't forsake her life for hers! She had already done so much.

"No, he will come here whether or not you ride out to meet him. I will be the one to leave," Crystal said.

She couldn't believe that she had, but she knew her father and knew that no matter what he would come to the Shire and make sure she was dead. He trusted no one and made sure that everything was done properly. He would make sure that her 'death' was authentic and not a scam, in which it was at the moment. If she stayed he would find her. Then all of the end of the world would come. He would bring her home quietly then torture her with beatings and lashings and many other things that Crystal had had quite enough of. She would have to be the one that leaves the Shire, for the safety of her home and for her new love.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:04 AM   #164
bilbo_baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In my front hallway, grabbing my staff, about to head out my door
bilbo_baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to bilbo_baggins
"Come my young Hobbit friend, we shall help in the party preparations," said Enessar with a smile, knowing he had a wonderful friend now in this adventurous small Halfling.

"Do, lets! I love partys," was Ponto's instant reply, as they headed for the Inn.

"I think they have some tables and benches that need to be set up for the extra people who will undoubtedly show up," said Enessar; and they headed inside.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:41 PM   #165
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Mad Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Mirabell awoke with a start, and for a moment forgot where she was. She was nestled in the sturdy branches of a small tree outside of the Green Dragon; yes, that's where she was. Sunlight filtered through the leaves, drawing an intricate pattern on her body. She stretched, yawned, and attempted to climb out of the tree. In her sleepy state, she executed a rather clumsy dismount and landed on her bottom. Standing up, she brushed herself off and began to walk towards the Inn. When she got inside, she noticed several patrons examining a placard. Mirabell jostled through the crowd and read the words upon said placard.

"Bring musical instruments?" she said, thinking. Remembering the little flute she had in her dress pocket, she took it out and looked it over.

"I wonder if Aman would let me play at the party?" she wondered aloud, and made her way towards the bar to ask the location of the innkeeper. A hand waved her towards the end of the counter, where Aman was keeping busy. Mirabell went over to her and cleared her throat.

"Hello, Aman. I was going to ask you, would it be possible for me to play my flute at the party?" she asked, lifting up the flute to show her. Coughing, she waited for a response.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:47 PM   #166
Child of the 7th Age

Hawthorne Brandybuck:

As late afternoon gave way to early evening, the preparations for the party were drawing to a close. The tables had been arranged along the wall with a spacious area cleared out in the middle of the floor that would soon be filled with many folk dancing once the music had begun. There was a small niche to the side just adjacent to the bar where Regin had reserved a spot for the musicians to perform. Large bowls overflowing with flowers graced each of the tables, adding to the overall festivity of the room.

Ruby and Buttercup had been feverishly engaged in cooking and baking for the past two days. They were particularly eager to please Cook who was expected to return sometime that evening. The two Hobbits had outdone themselves preparing a vast array of recipes designed to please the palates of all the guests who would be attending-- Hobbits, Men, Dwarves, and Elves. In addition to the efforts by the staff, there were a number of other platters and bowls overflowing with delicacies that the residents of Hobbiton and Bywater had dropped by the kitchen earlier that day.

Eel stew, fine beef pasties, and steak and kidney pie were crowded together on the main table along with crusty loaves of brown bread, a large bucket of apples and a varied assortment of dishes that featured mushrooms as their main ingredient. On a side table sat many deserts: apple cobbler, sweet honey cakes and dishes of candy reserved especially for the children.

Hawthorne and Regin stood together at the front of the Common Room mentally checking off last minute preparations to make sure that nothing had been forgotten. Hawthorne looked down at the list of musicians that Aman had just presented to her. At the head of the list was Mirabell's name who'd been the last one to sign up. Regin and another Dwarf had worked hard to put the finishing touches on the giant banner that now hung above the Inn's front door. Emblazoned in bold letters, the sign welcomed partygoers to the rebuilt Dragon and invited them to join in the celebration.

The front door to the Inn was still latched shut. At that moment, Hawthorne heard a scuffling noise in front as the silver bill repeatedly pealed out. The Hobbit lass ran to answer the door. Throwing it back, she spied a number of partygoers standing on the steps anxious to begin their celebration. At the head of the column stood her Uncle Meriadoc Brandybuck who'd just arrived in from Buckland. With a warm hug to Merry, Hawthorne welcomed them all inside. The party to celebrate the rebuilding of the Dragon had finally begun!
Old 03-18-2004, 05:48 PM   #167
Child of the 7th Age

OOC Comment:

The party at the Dragon has begun! Please craft your posts to reflect this celebration.

Pio and Child
Old 03-20-2004, 01:26 PM   #168
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
~*~ NOTICE OF NEW GAME OPENING ~*~

This RPG Discussion Thread will be opening soon:

Himaran's game: Search for Rhûn

Please read the proposal carefully and submit your character requests to the Discussion Thread as Himaran has requested once it does open.

Do not submit Character Descriptions and Posts to me.

Should be a fun game!

~*~ Pio

Check the Inn for further notice of the Discussion Thread opening.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:27 AM   #169
nynnd1
Haunting Spirit

nynnd1 has just left Hobbiton.
Bredan of Gondor walked through the door, he had heard the noise from afar and did not know how his entrance would be taken, as it happened nobody even seemed to notice him, but that wa snot necessarily a good thing. It looked like the scene he expected from the stories of the Hobbit's and their land which he loved to hear, small people dancing and singing merrily, but he had not forgot his troubles, the troubles that he had since leaving the white city where he grew up.

It had been a peaceful journey from Gondor, until he was attacked at Sarn Ford by the wild men, he was still hurting, even though he had fought them off. The fact that they had stole his horse, Sam (for he had named him after his favourite character from his favourite tale) had not helped, for the walking had put back the time in which his body had to recover.

As he went to sit in the corner he smelt the room, the atmosphere just seemed to lift his worry, the shire was just what he needed, he just hoped they liked him.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:26 PM   #170
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Aman surveyed the room proudly: once again the Green Dragon has put on a spread worthy of any Gondorian hall. And it will be a party fit for any part of the Shire too, she added to herself, despite the non-halfling nature of the Innkeeper. But it wasn't quite ready yet, the Innkeeper was convinced; something was missing...Aman narrowed her eyes as she looked around the tables, sure she had missed something out.

Darting back into the kitchen, the woman visually checked everything. The rest of the cakes for later were laid out, hundreds of little teacups lined the surfaces for when coffee and tea would be served, jugs of squash, readily prepared to be brought out when the drinks already there were finished, sat covered in a clump in the middle of the central table: orange, apple, cranberry, summer fruits, pear. In the gaps and on the shelves were perched various sweet, sugary and savoury delights to be brought out on the trays stacked at the side later. Hands on her hips, the Innkeeper finally had to conceed, as she stared around the immaculately prepared kitchen, that maybe it was all ready...

Fiddling with the fine, cream-coloured linen sleeves of the long-sleeved underdress she was wearing under her pale blue dress, the Innkeeper then absent-mindedly straightened the slanting, elbow length sleeves of the overdress, mentally going through the arrangements for the party. Hawthorne is in the Common Room, Ruby and Buttercup getting ready upstairs, barrels filled behind the bar, food out on the trestles, extras in here, musicians notified and practised, Vinca arriving this afternoon!...I'll just get the trays of sweets ready now, to save time afterwards-

Aman's fidgety mind was caught mid-sentence as the silver bell at the door, not often used because the Inn was so rarely closed, pealed out clearly through the ground and first floor. The Innkeeper heard Hawthorne run for it and closed her eyes, steadying herself for a second, before opening them, a smile spreading onto her face. Think, Amanaduial - how many times have you really messed up at the Green Dragon?

With that reassuring thought in mind, the Innkeeper opened the kitchen door and swept majestically into the Common Room as the visitors entered, flowing around the small figure of Hawthorne, who, Aman could now see, was just parting from an embrace with another hobbit...

"Master Meriadoc!" she exclaimed, delightedly as he turned. Forging forward through the generally mid-torso high crowd, Aman then knelt down in front of the hobbit so as to be on his level, shaking his hand warmly. "Welcome to the Dragon, Master Brandybuck."

"Master Brandybuck? Goodness me, Aman, how distant - it's still Merry, as it ever was," came the pleasant reply accompanied by the mischievous twinkling of his bright eyes as he added, "Unless I am to call you 'Miss Amanaduial'?"

"It is Aman, as it ever was, Mast- Merry," Aman replied, smiling back, then straightened up. "Welcome again - I'm glad to have you here. I must greet the first influx of guests at least, but I hope we shall talk later?"

"Aye, Aman, I hope so," Merry agreed then, nodding politely, he turned back to Hawthorne as Aman made her way to the door, shaking hands and exchanging smiles, comments and compliments with the newcomers, human, elven and halfling. Through the elegant new door, the sun could be seen hanging nearly halfway between it's peak and the horizon - midafternoon, and as the party began, Vinca, Zimzi and Derufin drew ever nearer...
Old 03-22-2004, 01:08 AM   #171
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Narya

~*~ RPG Discussion Thread Open To Take On Players ~*~

The Discussion Thread for Himaran's new RPG, Search for Rhûn , is now open for prospective players to take a look at.

Please read the proposal carefully.

Follow the instructions for the characters that Himaran requires and submit your character proposal directly to the Discussion Thread - don't send them to me.

Should be a fun game!

~*~ Pio
Old 03-22-2004, 07:42 AM   #172
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Aduthondiel
Aduthondiel looked around to see if she could find Crystal. She had seemed to reluctant to leave the Shire earlier that day. Evidently she doesn't know her father as well as I do. After all I have spent more time with him than she has. The party was coming along good. Aduthondiel was suprised to see so many people there. Count was with the other horses, so Aduthondiel had nothing to worry about. It would take General Dorian a few more days to reach the inn. "Crystal?" Aduthondiel looked at the figure in front of her. The girl looked so different than she did earlier. "Can I speak with you for a little while?"

The look on her face changed, she was no longer thinking of her own safety. "Crystal there is one thing I must tell you before I leave tonight. You have to promise me that you will not leave the Shire. You have to stay here with Mr. Angry. You have made something out of your life. That is one thing I dont' want you to give up on." Aduthondiel shifted her position. "You have to stay here. I'm leaving and you can't stop that. After all I have eternity to make peace with the world. You only have now." She knew her words sounded like commands, but she couldn't figure out a way for them to seem sincere. "Crystal you must stay here. Maybe some day I can return. Perhaps to see the day in which you are to be married to some lucky man. On that day I will return with news of your fathers death. Then perhaps we can both move on with what life has for us."

Aduthondiel looked at Crystal and tried to force a smile but couldn't. Aduthondiel remembered when Crystal was a little child and had none of the worries she had now. Yet she knew times had changed and Dorian had only became cold hearted and cruel to everyone but her. She couldn't figure out why Dorian had always beens so kind to her but evil to everyone else. Aduthondiel had so much to look forward to in her life that now she knew she had to stop Dorian from coming to the Shire. "Crystal, have you seen Hama?"
Old 03-22-2004, 09:26 AM   #173
Silent Sam
Pile O'Bones

Silent Sam has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe First post in a BD RPG, hope it's good...

Pippin and her cousin Merry surveyed the goings on of the inn with great intrest. They were both named after two of the four hobbits who had disappeared on a strange journey, those many years ago. Being still in their early tweens, as soon as they had caught word of there being a party, each had come as fast as thier hobbit feet could carry them.

Pippin's auburn curls fell into her eyes, drawing glances of her hobbit-boy clothes she was accustomed to wearing rather than traditional dresses. This made some of the elders scowl at her for not being a proper young girl, but she never noticed, or perhaps never cared. She wandered about the crowds looking for cousin, greeting people as they passed, and occasionally having to jump out of the way of the busy servers.

Merry wandered along the food-laden tables, every dish looking more tantilizing than the one prior. He reached out for a particularly large apple, and recived a light tap on the hand from one of the older hobbits.

"Here now lad, shouldn't y'be sayin' 'hello' to some of the others before you go straight to the sweets?"

"Hello" Merry replied, grinning.

The old hobbit shook his head, and disappeared into the crowd leaving Merry to snatch up his sighted prize...
--------------------
Beware of still people and silent watchers...
Old 03-22-2004, 10:10 AM   #174
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadel Vinorel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Silmaril

A silver bell could be heard ringing across the yard. Smiling to herself, Galadel hurried dressing and pulled her worn, brown cloak on. She slipped her hood over her head, and tied a soft, silver case to the golden belt that graced her slender hips. Leaving the small tent that she had been given to change in for the party, she smooothly walked across the yard towards the main building of the Green Dragon Inn.

The elf entered the main hall of the remodled inn. Inside were gathered a variety of folks, all laughing and drinking, and having a splended time celebrating after their long labor. Galadel smiled and nodded to a young hobbit lass that came up to her and asked very politely if she could take her cloak. Unhooking the clasp near her neck, the cloak fell from her as she caught it in her arms to reveal the dress that elf woman was now wearing. It was a very simple, silver dress, with only a golden belt around her waist, and a thin line of gold emboridered in the shape of an ivy vine at the heam and sleeves. At her side hung a silver case, and upon her feet she wore slender silver shoes.

As the hobbit lass moved away to tend to the other gathering guests, Galadel drifted towards the fire. She stood there for a short time, warming herself, one of her hands constintanly fingering the silver case at her side. Finally, after a few more partygoers had entered the main room, Galadel pulled her flute from the case at her side. It was a wooden flute, with the shapes of animals and other forms of nature engraved in gold and silver on its sides. The beautiful instrument had been made from the wood of one of the trees of Lothlorien by her older brother, and was very special to her.

Turning around, the elf spotted Snaveling and some of her other new friends entering or gathered there in the room. Nodding to the man, Galadel brought the flute up to her mouth, and quickly choose a piece to play. And then she began to play. The soft, gentle music of the flute floated in the air, and as she played people gradually became silent to turn and listen to the music.

Yet, Galadel did not notice the many faces staring at her, for she was lost in the gentle lullaby that she played. She poured everything that she was into that piece, expanding it, making it longer, and yet structured so that it stood on its own, unaccompanied, and yet was whole. Suddenly Snaveling stood forward from where he had been standing next to Tobias. Looking at him, the elf nodded and, never missing a note, changed her melody. And then the man of the South began to sing.
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Old 03-22-2004, 11:13 AM   #175
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
All day Snaveling had avoided Roa by helping replant the herb garden with slips of plants donated to the Inn by a well-to-do hobbit. Many of the herbs he was familiar with, but some were unknown to him. The Kingsfoil had been a welcome surprise and he had lingered long over its glorious odour. Many a night he had comforted himself with a highly-scented tea made of the herb, according to a recipe long known and cherished by his people. Eventually, the shadows had lengthened and the sky had decorated herself with stars, and the workers outside had gone off to prepare themselves for the party. Snaveling had retired to his makeshift bed in the stables – the Innkeeper had offered him a room in the remade Inn, but he preferred the privacy of his stall – and made himself as ready as he could. There was not much he could do, given he was already wearing all the clothes that he owned. Still, he had been able to give himself a good scrubbing with the help of a handful of hay and a bucket of water, and he had sharpened his knife to shave off the scraggly black beard that hung from his face like moss. There wasn’t much that he could do with his clothes, but he dusted off the muck as best he could and did up all the ties and buttons. The last thing he did, almost as an afterthought, was to take the small amulet from beneath his tunic where all could see it.

He entered the Inn with trepidation and anticipation. What met his eyes staggered him; having spent the better part of his life alone and in the wild, the plenty that awaited him within the common room was at the limits of imagination. Tables groaned with food, and were decorated with huge bunches of fresh flowers. Garlands hung from the walls and ceiling rafters, and a large fire blazed in the hearth, filling the room with warmth. Candles and lanterns added to the light, to the point where there was no shadow upon the evening. The Room was already filled with gaily dressed people, and there was music and talk and laughter from all directions. Snaveling paused for a moment on the very threshold, ready to flee should the crowd take notice of him and realize that he did not belong. But then his eye fell on Roa where she stood chatting gaily, and he stepped forward into the warm embrace of the party.

He stood in a corner, his eyes on the Woman and his heart in turmoil. He did not know what to think of his vision: ever had the woman in his dreams been a faceless person, defined solely by the comfort that she would provide him. She had been as much a feature of his lodge as was the carved front door and the bench of hewn logs at the eastern wing where he could clean his kill. But now she was a person, and one who was far more than a domestic drudge. He wanted to have Roa with him in the lodge just to be with her. The idea of actually wanting to share his life with another was so new to him that he hardly knew how to approach it – all he knew for sure was that Roa was altogether admirable and entirely beyond his reach. Recognizing this gave him an intense pain in his guts that was not altogether unpleasant.

He was drawn from his reverie by a music that felt like sunshine in autumn, and he looked about for the source of it. Galadel stood by the fire playing a tune on a little flute. The melody spoke deep to his hear, and like all Elvish music it took on a form that he saw. Green fields opened before him, and the cry of seabirds rang out. For a moment, he even felt that he could smell the slight tang of saltwater. Galadel altered the tune and looked at him. Seized by the music, Snaveling stepped forward and put the vision into words:

Flow down, cold rivulet, to the sea,
Thy tribute wave deliver:
No more by thee my steps shall be,
For ever and for ever.

Flow, softly flow, by lawn and lea,
A rivulet then a river;
Nowhere by thee my steps shall be,
For ever and for ever.

But here will sigh thine alder tree,
And here thine aspen shiver;
And here by thee will hum the bee,
For ever and for ever.

A thousand suns will stream on thee,
A thousand moons will quiver;
But not by thee my steps shall be,
For ever and for ever.

It was an old song, one that he had not heard sung since he left his homeland, and singing it took him back to much happier times in his life: times when he enjoyed the company of others and looked to them to provide the kind of solace that the lonely spirit was unable to bring itself. He looked about him, and was terrified to see the many faces of the guests openly staring at him – some in amusement, some (those who had knowledge of him) in open shock. Roa’s eyes were, however, perhaps the widest. He looked at her and, made bold – or driven mad – by the music, he sang again:

All things uncomely and broken,
all things worn-out and old,
The cry of a child by the roadway,
the creak of a lumbering cart,

The heavy steps of the ploughman,
splashing the wintry mould,
Are wronging your image that blossoms
a rose in the deeps of my heart.

The wrong of unshapely things
is a wrong too great to be told,
I hunger to build them anew
and sit on a green knoll apart,

With the earth and the sky and the water,
remade, like a casket of gold
For my dreams of your image that blossoms
a rose in the deeps of my heart.

He fell silent, as did Galadel’s flute. Snaveling slumped into a chair, his heart pounding in his ears, and called for ale.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:34 PM   #176
astarielle
Haunting Spirit

astarielle has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to astarielle
Eye

The door banged open whith a loud 'thump'. The floor boards creaked as a black boot stepped into the light of the in, quickly followed by another but with a hole in the end. The owner of the boots was that of Astarielle, an Elf from the woodland realm. She had been gone from the area for many a month on end and slowly walked, half limped, into the inn. Her travelling cloak was smothered with what can only be described as muck, go any further than that and you probably wouldn't want to know. In be frank the only part of her which was not absolutely filthy was her eyes, they still shone with the radiance of a thousand stars.

She closed the door silently, quite contrary to her entrance, and made her way to a comfy corner. She sat down as if she had not in weeks, which was probably quite true. Her travels had taken her near and far, over land,water and moutains to places rarely seen. Through snow, hail and driving rain with no thought for what she had left behind, just this moment in time. Now she returned to the place she left long ago to recuperate before setting of on another adventure with old friends as well as new.

She sang to herself, an old elven tune sung to children, those leaving and those returning;

It is a long road,
Winding ever onwards,
Never ceasing for the weary
Or those that dwell on the past.

You know where your feet have trodden
but have know idea where your next step will take you.
Walk on, walk on, with joy in your heart
Embrace life, unending
For you carry the hopes of us all
Our child.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:28 PM   #177
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Roa was dressed in a simple country dress another guest had lent her. All she had brought with her was a single change of clothes, and they were a traveler's fare to be certain. Usually, she did not concern herself with such things, unless appearing in court. This, however, was a truly special occasion, for the fruit of their long labors was being celebrated. Roa also new that two sets of clothing would not do for much longer. I shall have to see to some purchases...

Roa was not in a particularly festive mood, but soon the atmosphere of the room gathered her in it's embrace, and she relaxed a little. She was quickly swept into a lively conversation. Some asked her for news of the outer world, and she in turned inquired about local business, a topic she had not been able to discuss till now. She quited a little when Galadel began to play. Elven music was a treat to her, despite it's familiarity. Did not her Queen bless the land with her gracious prescence?

She stopped talking all together, though, when Snaveling began to sing. She could not even hide her surprise. He looked at her while he sang. For a moment, the gaze made her question her own actions, but her memories were still fresh. Roa let her face harden, and she quickly turned away. The song ended, she her him call for ail, and she busied herself again in conversation. A hand on her shoulder with drew her. Turning to see Galadel, she excused herself.

"Youu must be tired," she the elf-woman. "Why don't you help yourself to the food?" Roa smiled and obliged her friend. They found a table together and sat down to talking. Galadel was quickly driven to a fit of luaghter from Roa's antics. Roa herself new that her friend would only play along for a short while. Then, she would address the ice that had encased itself over Roa's heart.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Old 03-22-2004, 07:03 PM   #178
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Tobias Hornblower wandered through the raucous din, wading past folk of every age and size as if they represented some dense ocean to be forged with haste. He held onto the small tin mug clutched firmly in his hand with all his might, but could not stop the overflowing froth to splash out onto the unwary backs of some hapless inn-goers, though they didn’t seem to notice at all. The hobbit wore his finest and was acting in the most polite manner he could. Having abandoned the gaudy sequined vest that had been singed beyond repair that day which seemed so long ago, he wore his brightest, flashiest outfit and his warmest demeanor.

He heard countless noises, mugs clicking together noisily, the endless buzz and chatter of conversation, and, from the darker corner of the room, a smooth but stern melody. The elder gentlehobbit heard a cry for ale ring from nearby, and a fervent one at that. He normally would’ve ignored the plea, but he knew who it came from. It was Snaveling’s voice undoubtedly. Toby suddenly realized that the melodic tune that had just coursed through his ears was Snaveling’s, though the man’s course voice had been strangely altered for the better as he sung. 'Strange indeed.' thought the hobbit as he scurried to Snaveling.

“Here you are. It was you who called out for ale, was it not?” he chuckled.

Snaveling wrenched the brimming mug from Toby and imbibed most of its contents in an instant. After a great quaff, he lowered the vessel and nodded to the hobbit, seeming gratified enough to please Toby.

“Master Sna- I mean Snaveling…that was indeed a memorable piece of work. I am, for once, chagrined that I know not the ways of outsiders. The only songs I can sing are the more jovial tunes of the Shire, and they are naught compared to that. I suppose I can sin as well as the next hobbit, but you would not desire to hear my rambling tunes. You have more talent in song than I had thought, Snaveling.”

Snaveling nodded but Tobias could barely tell since most of his face was hidden by the mug again.

“Did I not tell you that you would do well to stay for this gala event? I promise you, my friend, by the end of this night we will all be a great deal happier. We will each pay our debts to this place for bringing us together. You have your way…and I most certainly have mine.”

Toby muffled another laugh as he patted his bulging vest pocket meaningfully and turned to the crowd.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:28 PM   #179
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Mirabell weaved in and out of the crowd, smiling politely and nodding to those who looked down at whatever was pushing them. Her blue sprigged dress swished about her legs and her hair bounced on her shoulders. She hummed a little tune and reached a table, where she sat down on a bench with a sigh. Mira tossed her curls out of her eyes and surveyed the scene. People milled about, enjoying the party and chatting with others.

Mira hopped off the bench and walked about in the crowd, looking for someone to chat with. She saw a young hobbit giving someone a brimming mug of ale, then patting his vest and turning away towards the crowd. Stepping towards him, she curtsied and said, "Mirabell Baggins. Would you like to have a chat with me?"

The young hobbit turned towards her, a bit startled at the sudden question. Mira smiled kindly and waited for a response.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:08 AM   #180
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Crystal looked around the room and shook her head.

"Actually I haven't seen Hama in a while. I will stay here, but I want you to know that I do not like the fact that you are risking your very life because of me. That being said, I thank you. I've never had anything stable in all my life. You have given me a great gift, one that I wish I could give back to you," Crystal said as she continued to look around the room.

Everyone was in high spirits, something that Crystal hadn't seen in a long time. She smiled. This was her new home. This was her new life. No one, not even her father would take this away from her. Everything was going to be alright now.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:50 AM   #181
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Aduthondiel
"Crystal there is nothing to regret and only everything to be thankful for! Always remember that what I have given you is something that anyone can take back. I am sorry that I had originally planed on ending what you have now got. I only wish that I had been there with you longer." Aduthondiel knew that what she was going to do would only make her life worse. "I just don't want to loose Count. He's my best friend." She could tell that everything she had accomplished would be the best things she had ever done in her life. "Crystal I hope that I can return to the Shire some day."

Aduthondiel was glad to see that everyone was in such happy moods. She knew it was now official that the Inn was complete and her life was going back to the same horrible state. "Crystal if you see Hama tonight tell him I need to see him. Perhaps I won't have to face your father alone. Who knows what mood he is in now." In the end I know I will regret my decision. If only I hadn't let my emotions get in the way of my duties. Aduthondiel would soon be alone in the world. "Crystal do you remember when you was just a little girl and no matter how hard your father tried he couldn't keep up with you. Now those were the days." Yes but that was also the time that I had first vistited Rohan and didn't know what it would be like to be a Elf shield maiden of Rohan. Oh well it was still the good days. She couldn't remember a time when she was happier. For once in her life she didn't have to worry about whether she would complete her duties or fail only to disappoint the general.

"Yeah those were the good days. Back then the only pleasure in my life was watching you and your father." She missed the easy life which was never easy to begin with. "I wonder what ever happened to those days." The past only seemed better to her when she compared it with her life today.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:25 PM   #182
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Bartholomew-Arthur's brother

He hurried into the Inn. He had heard a rumor that his brother's girlfriend now resided here. His eyes scanned the room quickly. He spotted her. A beacon of a memory that shone through the crowded room. He pushed his way through until he stood in front of her.

"Miss Crystal Heart! I am so glad I found you! I bring great news. Your father was ambushed and killed twenty kilometers out of Rohan! My men took him down. He was riding without an escort. See! You must believe. I have his precious sword!" He said excitedly. He held out the sword, no longer shethed.

Crystal's eyes studied it. She held it in her hands. Slowly her face came to realization and burst into a smile. A smile he hadn't seen in years.

"Bartholomew! Do you know what this means?!" Crystal exclaimed. He nodded. Yes, he understood. The killer of his brother had been killed. Vengence had been his. It also meant that Crystal Heart could safely return to Rohan and live her life in peace.

"You can come home Miss Crystal. Isn't that wonderful!" He smiled, but saw that her eyes didn't hold the same joy.

"The Shire is my home, Bartholomew. I shan't be returning to Rohan," Crystal informed him softly. He stood back, shocked. This place was nothing compared to Rohan. She would be looked at differently because she wasn't a hobbit. Who would she stay with? Who would even look after her?

"You can't be serious, Miss Crystal?" He asked in surprise. She nodded her head and turned away. She held her hand out to a hobbit that stood near her.

"Bartholomew, this is Angry Brandybuck. Angry, this is my good friend Bartholomew," Crystal said. Bartholomew bowed his head in respect. It had been years since Arty's death. He never figured that she would move on to another love. And that was what Angry Brandybuck was, another love. He looked into her eyes and he knew that she loved Angry with all of her strength. He hadn't seen her this happy since before Arty's death. He was happy for her, but sad at the same time. Yet, it had been Arty's one wish. He had wanted her to continue on if he had died. He had confinde that in him.

"It is wonderful to meet you, Mr. Angry Brandybuck. I am sorry that you will not be returning to Rohan. Who knows, you might marry the hobbit and I'll return to see you. Make sure you tell me if that ever does happen. I wish you the best of luck," He said as he started away.

"Wait, won't you stay and celebrate. The Inn burnt down a couple of weeks back and we helped build it again. You and I could celebrate the death of my father," Crystal said. He shook his head.

"I'm needed with my men. Good bye Miss Crystal."

"Good bye Bartholomew."

Bartholomew left the happy Inn, feeling as if Crystal had made the correct choice. He hoped she was happy and would await the day when she sent message of her upcoming marriage.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:23 PM   #183
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
As always, it was Toby who knew what Snaveling really needed. The ale coursed through the Man’s blood and cooled the fires of self-pity and rage that coursed through him. What in the world was I thinking? he railed inwardly. And what is it about Galadel that gives her such power over me? His eyes strayed toward Roa where she sat with the Elven woman. Her reaction could not have been more dismissive nor so clear of her opinion. Snaveling was torn between relief and anger. He did not know what he had hoped for or wanted with his song, but whatever it had been he had not received it.

“Did I not tell you that you would do well to stay for this gala event?” Toby was saying, “I promise you, my friend, by the end of this night we will all be a great deal happier. We will each pay our debts to this place for bringing us together. You have your way…and I most certainly have mine.” Toby muffled another laugh as he patted his bulging vest pocket meaningfully.

“What do you mean?” Snaveling asked, intrigued by the hobbit’s manner in spite of his distracted feelings.

Toby merely winked at him, saying “All in good time.” Toby turned away to look over the crowd as a hobbit lass stepped up and spoke to him. Snaveling was in no mood for idle chatter; at the moment, even a brief conversation with his friend was beyond him. Scowling at the entire room, he drained the last of his ale and slipped away from the table. He moved along the walls to where the Innkeeper was standing. He had, of course, seen much of Aman in his weeks at the Inn, but he had avoided all but the most necessary conversation with her. He did not trust the Men of Gondor, but he despised the people of Rohan. As his own people’s nearest neighbours, they were the outsiders with whom they most often came into conflict.

Aman was talking with an especially large fellow – for a hobbit – who appeared to be someone of importance in the Shire. As Snaveling neared them both, they turned and the hobbit looked at him with open suspicion. Aman, however, courteously – if not with great warmth – asked if there were something she could do for him. Snaveling returned the hobbit’s glare before answering the woman. “Is there naught but ale and wine in this place?” he asked. “I feel the need of something much stronger!”
Old 03-23-2004, 05:30 PM   #184
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Toby was distracted from Snaveling’s next statement by a polite female voice behind him. He spun around to face the voice’s source, not entirely ready to be addressed by anyone, but quickly regained his composure and noble demeanor. He quickly assessed the girl in front of him, looking her over from head to toe with his keenly focused hazel eyes, now half-closed and squinting as the mixed light of the inn played upon them.

“Mirabell Baggins.” said the hobbit lass as she curtsied, “Would you like to have a chat with me?”

Toby smiled warmly as thoughts began coursing again through his mind. ’A Baggins, eh? Probably one of my cousins or some distant relation. Well, no matter, she seems to be polite enough and it would do me good to talk to someone besides Snaveling. As friendly as he has become, that man just can’t have a good conversation for an extended period of time.’

“Tobias Hornblower the Third, madam,” replied the elder hobbit as he bowed, executing one of his signature dignified flourishes as he did so, “If a conversation is what you desire, I would certainly not mind obliging you.” He sat down on one of the recently vacated chairs before someone else could get to it and reclined, sighing happily. The atmosphere had elevated his mood greatly and he found that he was much more inclined to start a friendly dialogue with this stranger. He leaned forward in the chair and blinked.

“So…what is it you would like to discuss, exactly?” he queried pleasantly.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:53 AM   #185
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Aduthondiel
She was startled at the news she had heard. Could her great General Dorian actually be dead? In her heart she wanted to cry for his loss but couldn't in front of Crystal. She didn't have to leave after all, Count was going to be her's for as long as they both lived. "Crystal this is good news, but I am sorry to hear about your father." Aduthondiel wanted to say he was a good man but knew in her heart that he was only an evil tyrant. "Crystal now what are you going to do with your life?" She knew she should be asking herself the same question.

What am I going to do now that Dorian is dead? Will I stay here to watch everyone around me succomb to death while I live forever? Aduthondiel was already thinking about how life would be without Dorian around to haunt her every dream. Aduthondiel had an idea of what Crystal would probably do. Crystal would probably go on with her life and marry Mr. Angry. "I guess I don't have to leave after all. Though I can't think of any reason to stay. I have no one here. All my family.. well I'm not sure where they are now." For her age she knew that everything in her past affected what was in her future. She had to change what she was going to do if she wanted to have a happy life.

She tried to recover from the news but couldn't. Crystal seemed so happy now. Yet all she could feel was a sadness deep down. No matter how hard she tried the feeling didn't want to go away. She thought she felt a tear roll down her cheek but decided it was only her mind playing tricks on her. "I guess all our troubles have come to an end. Perhaps if I return to Rohan I will make it in time to see who your father successor will be. If I'm lucky maybe Aduthondiel will be the new General! Wouldn't that be nice." She thought she was going to fall down laughing but couldn't. She let out a giggle and went on drinking her ale. "General Aduthondiel. Has sort of a ring to it."
Old 03-24-2004, 01:35 PM   #186
Feared Half-Elf
Wight

Feared Half-Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Elkamia stood in the stables, one hand on the nose of her large silver mare. Annufin had finally been moved inside. 'Valar help me' she thought 'I haven't worn a dress since the wedding of Elessar and Arwen.' She glanced down at herself.

The white dress she wore was simple but elegant, with long flowing sleeves. She didn't need a belt with it, strictly speaking, but she wore one anyway, a long scarf of fine silver fabric. White slippers were on her feet, though she would have preferred something sturdier. Her long brown hair was brushed to a shine, and careflly braided in the style she usually wore to keep it out of her eyes.

She sighed, fingering the silver chain about her right wrist. She always had been one for fights and wars, tending to avoid parties whenever possible. 'I can't avoid it tonight. I've helped them rebuild the inn and I can't offend the people here by not coming to the party. And a party means a dress, however much I hate it.'

She took a deep breath, checked her clothes for loose hay collected in the stables, and went to the common room. The room was a bundle of noise, people laughed and joked to each other. Still nervous about wearing the dress, she looked around at the people in the party, seeing if there was anyone she recognised.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Last edited by Feared Half-Elf; 03-25-2004 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:20 PM   #187
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Aldor smoothed out the creases on his tunic and took a look at the Green Dragon Inn, the cool breeze swam through the lighted lanterns and the banner welcoming all to join the festivities. "See, Miss Peony, all our hard work paid off after all" he winked and led her inside like a true gentleman.

"Now before you take your seat, we must have at least one dance to ensure you'll sleep the night away with sweet dreams swimming in your head", Peony tried to protest at first but gave in "alright Aldor but only one dance, after that we should take it easy and relax" she smiled and her green eyes glistened like emeralds in the lamplight.

"Believe me miss you can have have just one dance!" he took her hand as a folk song started up, they danced among the bustling crowd as more people came into the new Inn and to pay there respects to Master Meriadoc for attending the joyous occasion.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:42 AM   #188
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Deva woke from his nap and headed downstairs. There was a party of sorts and everyone was dancing, laughing, or drinking the night away. He looked around in search of Peony hoping she was still in the Green Dragon.

Finally he spotted her, ending a dance with a young man. Deva wasted no time and hurried over to her. "Peony, glad to see you stayed out of trouble while I was gone."

Peony looked down to him and smiled, patting his head. "Nice of you to join us. I thought maybe you were just going to sleep away the whole night."

Deva shrugged and looked past Peony to the man she had been dancing with. "And who is your friend."

Peony became aware once more of Aldor's presence. "Deva, this is Aldor. Aldor, my companion I had told you about, Deva."
Old 03-25-2004, 08:41 AM   #189
bilbo_baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In my front hallway, grabbing my staff, about to head out my door
bilbo_baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to bilbo_baggins
Enessar

Enessar had become seperated from his friend, Ponto the hobbit in the dance; he had probably found a hobbit lass, or more likely, some food and drink. As he chuckled at this humorous thought, he noticed an amazingly beautiful lady enter through the door.

He approached her and said, "My dear lady, I am Enessar. Might I have the pleasure of your acquaintance?"

"Well yes, thank you. My name is Elkamia," was the enchanting lady's reply.

"Elkamia, that is a lovely name, is it not? Would you care to dance?" asked Enessar, who desperately wanted to meet this ecstatically beautiful maiden...
Old 03-25-2004, 09:01 AM   #190
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Crystal smiled at the prospect of the new title of General.

"So you will be leaving us to go back to Rohan as well?" Crystal asked. She admitted that she was sad to see it happen. She had become very close to her. She was such a breath of fresh air. A part of her new life.

Crystal knew that she was sad for General Dorian's death. Dorian had always been kind to her for some odd reason. She had always been around him. His death wouldn't be a complete cause for celebration.

But for Crystal it was. The one man that caused her pain, the one man that caused her fear, the one man that caused her grief was finally gone from this world. She had never felt any type of love for her father. He had beaten her and hurt her so savagely that she had wished for his death many times. She had been running from him for years and had finally found one place where she was loved once again.

She had been loved in Rohan by Arty and her mother, but after their death there hadn't been any reason to stay. She had fled shortly after and had lead a life of danger and fear. Then she had come to the Shire and into the Green Dragon Inn.

Her life had changed the night she had decided to stop in for something warm to eat. She had been sick then, almost on the brink of death. She barely had enough coins for the food or for the room that sweet Aman had offered. She had sat upon the stool and believed that she would be dead before the night was through. Then she had met Angry Brandybuck.

His eyes, his face, his words had caused her to hold on. She had gotten to know him and had held on to the fact that she had fallen in love once again. A fact that she now cherished. She had almost succumbed to death, but had held on. Hama had helped her through and Angry's warm hand in hers and his gentle face had kept her holding on to the small ray of life that she had maintained.

Angry had taken her home, had given her a warm bed to sleep in. She remembered that morning as if it were still happening to her.

She had woken up in the hobbit's home with a smile. She hadn't rested in such a way in all of her life. She had gotten up and had walked past the closed door of Angry's room. She had decided to make breakfast for his kindness.

She had made eggs and he had come into the kitchen. She had felt that the scene was so right, so natural. They talked over breakfast, both blushing profusely.

They talked about his parents. Angry wasn't sure if they would agree. Crystal hadn't minded. She said she would keep hope until there was no hope to hold on to.

He had left her shortly after that. He had gone to his parents. She had stayed and kept the house orderly. She felt like an anxious wife who awaited her husband.

She looked over at Angry and smiled softly. Her life was finally wonderful.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:21 PM   #191
Hama Of The Riddermark
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hama Of The Riddermark has just left Hobbiton.
Hama sat on his horse outside the inn on the road, looking down it. He had his hood covering his face, and after a while he dismounted resignedly and led his horse back to the stables. Entering he saw Crystal and Adu. Walking over he sat next to Adu and ordered an ale. Adu whispered in his ear "Dorian is dead."

Hama's eyebrows raised, but he did not give any open indication of the shock that had just hit him. "Dead? how?", "Outside of Rohan, ambushed."...Hama shook his head. "He was a treeible man, but no man deserves to be killed in an ambush..."

Crystal now turned fiercely to Hama and opened her mouth. Hama raised a hand. "No words from you Crystal. I need to think..."
Old 03-25-2004, 04:55 PM   #192
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Mira sat down, smoothing her dress as she did so. Tobias sat down quickly in another chair, reclining comfortably for a moment. Then he sat forward and asked, "So…what is it you would like to discuss, exactly?” Having done this, he leaned back in his chair again and watched Mirabell.

"Well, Tobias...ah, me...have you a nickname? Mine is Mira," she answered, toying with a lock of hair.

"Yes, in fact I do: Toby," Toby replied, "But besides shorter versions of names, is there anything else you would like to chat about?"

Mira thought for a moment. "Well, let us start at the beginning. I'm from a hole in Hobbiton. I heard that the Dragon was having a grand re-opening party and I decided that it would be a treat to myself to come along. I've been here once or twice before, and thought it a very homely place. I am rather fond of the old place," she said thoughtfully, gazing around at the walls of the Dragon. Snapping out of her reverie, she looked at Toby and inquired, "What about you? Where do you hail from?"
Old 03-25-2004, 10:51 PM   #193
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn Skywalker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Eowyn Skywalker
Willow

Willow wondered where her father had went, she hadn't seen him since she had went to fetch her fiddle.

Her old violin.

It was a fine fiddle, she had owned it since childhood, and played it for years, though with all her rush about Ando, the young hobbit who was her brother, she had left it for a while.

And now, she had a chance to play, even if none would listen to her music. It was a fine time to see if her fingers still had their old skill, and to see if there were still people who appereciated fine fiddling.

She smiled as she picked up the bow, and stroked it over the strings. After a test run to tune it up, she headed down to the common room, where the party was in full swing, and people were talking left and right.

She waited till a lull in the music, then picked up her bow, and ran it across the strings in a fast, dancy tune that she had played since childhood.

Willow was aware of people's eyes upon her, but she didn't care. All she focused on was her fingers, and the tune she played.

When she finished, she felt her cheeks burning, and realized that she was standing in front of people...

She dashed away, suddenly embarassed, and ran out of the common room.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:07 AM   #194
nynnd1
Haunting Spirit

nynnd1 has just left Hobbiton.
Bredan rose from his seat, his legs and whole body feeling less tired. The inn was now at the hight of it's time, or so thought, as he had never been to a party of hobbit kind but had heard of them as they were legendary.

He walked to the bar, thinking of his opening line for conversation. He went towards the woman he took as the inn keeper, he had heard people call her Aman. He felt a bit more comfortable talking to her as she was of his height, not being disrespectful to the Hobbits or Dwarfs.

"Why is their a party?" he asked nervously."Is their a birthday".

He really hoped that everyone was friendly, as they seemed to be. He didn't need trouble now.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:27 PM   #195
astarielle
Haunting Spirit

astarielle has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to astarielle
Eye

Astarielle was in a dream world. To those who say her she probably looked as if she was sleeping, far from it. When she awoke she streched out her back stiffly. There were many more people in the inn now, she had forgotten that a partu was going to take place. Feeling rather self concious in her ragged travel worn gear she left unnoticed my most apart from another Elf of course. She stepped outside and whistled a long wavering note, which seemed to drift with the wind yet against it all the while. Astarielle closed her eyes, as inhibitting one sense hones another, and listened. Clear as a bell she heard it, the familiar thundering of hooves drawing ever nearer.

The glistening white horse came to a stop inches from her feet. Astarielle rubbed its' face with the palm of her hand. She reached over to wear the saddle bags hang a unbuckled one. After rooting inside for a while she withdrew a gleaming pendant with a pale blue stone. she held it up to the light were in hung and reflected the light onto the walls of the surrounding houses. Then Astar moved to the other side of the horse, Talandir, and brought out a carefully folded and wrapped dress. It was long, dark blue and made for her by the finest dressmakers. She smiled to herself, turned to the Talandir and with a mere flick of a finger the horse galloped off into the distance.

A while later she returned to the inn, now feeling over dressed but happier than she had felt in her muddy travelling outfit. She slid in noiselessly and sat back doing, the party now getting into the swing of things.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:02 PM   #196
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril Aman

Aman smiled at the nervous looking individual as she drew out a pint for him, pushing it across the bar. The man (a Gondorian, Aman made an informed guess) smiled gratefully before wrapping long fingers around the brass handle, then Aman answered him.

"Not a birthday, no - or not in the sense of a person's birthday. The Inn - this Inn, that is, the Green Dragon - recently suffered a fire, and the travellers coming by along with the halflings have done the folk of Middle Earth justice," she smiled fondly. "They rebuilt most of it, as it had to be pulled down, but not even three weeks later..." she gestured around her, a small smile of proud slipping onto her sharp features. "Less than three weeks later, I have almost a new Inn, and that is what this party celebrates. And may I ask what your name is, sir? You have not been to the Shire before, I guess?"

"Aman."

The voice did not come from the man in front of Aman, but from another, who spoke before the nervous possibly-Gondorian could speak. Aman turned to see Snaveling standing nearby, half hidden even in the light atmosphere of the Inn. Something had always struck her as wrong about this sneaking, shadowy-natured man, and she had heard gossip...but then, the Innkeeper paid little heed to gossip, being as much of it was about her, and after all, it was a party! "Snaveling, can I help you?"

"Is there naught but ale and wine in this place?" he asked. "I feel the need of something much stronger!"

Snaveling's tone was slightly mocking, but more jovial and slightly louder than his usual quiet mutterings. He has been drinking...such men are dangerous when they drink, I fear... warned the voice in Aman's head, but her expression remained unruffled as she gave a small smile.

"What is it that you wish for, Snaveling, that is 'stronger'?" She replied lightly.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:56 PM   #197
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Roa and Galadel had been talking for some time, mostly about nonsence. However, Roa could not remove the melody of his song from her head. Irritated, she excused herself for a moment to get a drink. Galadel gave her an all too knowing smile and nodded. Quickly, the ranger found a tray-bearing server.

As she was about to help herself, a slightly too loud and certainly too familiar voice hit her ears. She turned sharply to see him speaking with Aman. Wrinkling her nose in disgust, she decide against the drink. But something else tugged at Roa, something akin to pity, and she tried to push away the saddness she felt for the poor man. Poor man! He would have let you die! He is nothing more than a cold blooded murderer! By this time, she was back at the table. Galadel gave her an inquisitive look, and said, "Is he really? I could have sworn you were mistaken."

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Old 03-26-2004, 07:32 PM   #198
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn Skywalker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Eowyn Skywalker
Willow

Willow breathed in the night air, relaxing now that she was out of the common room.

"What came over me?" she asked herself. "Why can I never go anywhere where someone would hear me play?"

She picked up her bow again, and gazed out into the evening. Not one to really truly party, she felt more at home where it was silent, though the party still sounded in the background.

She picked up her fiddle again, and ran the bow across the strings, and played a slow, haunting, and mournful melody, that echoed across the hills.

A song that she had known since childhood, and a song that fit with her feelings. When she finished, she felt better, and less scared, for reasons she did not understand.

But still she played, standing out under the faint moonlight, until all her fears had passed away.

"And that is that," she said, smiling. She walked back into the common room, for playing had made her thirsty.

Willow tucked her fiddle under her arm, and looked around for Aman, the innkeeper.

She noticed that the innkeeper was talking with some other people, but still she walked over, even though she hated to interupt other people's conversations. "Do you have any water here?" she asked.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:44 AM   #199
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

“Where do I hail from?” said Toby, leaning back again and laughing to himself, “Therein lies a tale which I have told far too many before you. But it is always a pleasure to tell it again.

Reclining further, Tobias Hornblower took a great, guzzling swig of the frothy ale that lingered in his tin mug. He had a great supply of ale earlier, quaffing to his heart’s wholesome content. The elder hobbit began to fear that he was letting the drink get to his head as well as his belly, but he was successful in rattling off the traditional “Hornblower Heritage” story that he’d told Snaveling and Roa several days earlier.

“I am a gentlehobbit of Longbottom, ma’am, and the stunningly green fields of the Southfarthing. There, my family, the Hornblowers, is one of the most respected and honored of the hobbit dynasties. For many long years we have tended the land around Longbottom and exported pipe-weed to the rest of the Shire. In fact, one of my own distant relatives first planted pipe-weed in the Shire and began to increase its popularity. Now, we Hornblowers have his legacy to continue.”

His warm grin remained pleasant, but became less direct as he looked away from Miss Mirabell, staring into the blurred colors of the crowd as it seemed to sway, swell, flow, and ebb around him like multicolored tides with countless rays of light refracting into delicate rainbows through them. It was a beautiful sight, though it was not the sight his eyes actually were witnessing. “And then….and…and I came to the Green Dragon…about a year ago…no, that’s not right, it was about a month ago…or was it a week.” Toby’s narrative oration crumbled as his words began to come out slurred together. Ignoring the fact, he took another drink, finishing off the ale in his mug and carefully inspecting every last drop that clung to its innards.

“Yes, yes, about a month, I think…” he trailed off, the colors of the crowd and the various dim lights beginning to captivate him as the ale mingled with the rest of him. He sagged in the chair, his eyelids drooping. He managed to perk up after a deep breath and almost fell forward in the hobbit-size chair.

“So…how’s life in Hobbiton nowadays? I have many a relative around these parts and I would certainly like to know of any interesting recent happenstances.”

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Old 03-27-2004, 10:30 AM   #200
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Aman

"Do you have any water here?" The hobbit's voice broke into the gap before Snaveling could speak. Guiltily a little glad to have an excuse away from this slightly uncomfortably situation, Aman nodded, unable not to smile as she crinkled her nose a little.

"Of course, miss," she replied, not knowing the hobbit woman's name, and inclined her head slightly. "If you'll just come with me..."

The woman looked slightly surprised, obviously expecting to have just been waiting there, but she didn't seem to mind too much, walking beside Aman on the other side of the bar. She even seemed slightly relieved - although the glinting look which had appeared in Snaveling's eye was not, Aman had to admit, something that many people would immediately want to be nearby for long. But that was not the reason the Innkeeper had led her away - the fiddle under the hobbit's arm told Aman immediately who she was: the hobbit who had played that delightful dance, then dashed away so hastily. From the embarassed rush she had been in, Aman realised the hobbit probably wasn't Middle Earth's keenest performer, but the Rohirrim Innkeeper believed that such talent should be rewarded and complimented.

She darted into the kitchen to fill a glass with cool, clear water and handed it to the hobbit as she came out. "No charge - it is only water," she said as violinist reached for her pocket. But as she reached, her fiddle shifted, slipping, and Aman grabbed the neck quickly to stop the instrument from falling. The hobbit looked intensely relieved and smiled openly, taking back the violin.

"Thank you, Aman." Her voice was warm and soft, as mellow as the sound of her playing.

"A pleasure - it would be a shame for such an instrument to break, of course, especially when it makes such a beautiful sound."

The hobbit blushed, but Aman pressed on. "I heard you before - not only in the Common Room, but when you played in the corridor a few moments ago. Don't worry, I don't think anyone else will have heard," she added hastily as the hobbit looked mortified. "I stepped into the corridor for a moment, that's why I had the pleasure. But listen, that is no ordinary instrument, and you are a fine player. Will you not grace the party with a few tunes later on, Miss...?"