Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2004, 07:38 AM   #81
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Witch_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Cree
Cree felt better now that she knew that something had happened since she hadn't had her normal spells. After all she was just a regular elf that was only cursed at birth. Theres bound to be something Grimm and I can do. The inn is almost finished and it seems that someone is planning a celebration. Cree could remember the last party she had helped with. She giggled before she snapped back to reality.

What does Aman have that I can help with now. As long as its not sorting through burnt items I'm fine. Cree stood there almost in a trance. "Aman I want to help with something. That is if there is anything I can do along with Grimm. I can never help enough to pay back the kindness I have been shown so far." Cree looked at Grimm and smiled. Everything is how it should be. I am finally happy with someone that isn't going to abandon me.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:33 AM   #82
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Snaveling did not like surprises, which is why he tried to hard to avoid them. But he had already received one today and was rapidly greeted with two more. The word “friend” coming from Roa’s mouth and directed toward him, made waking up with a horse nuzzling his face seem like the most normal way to start any day. As to Toby’s tale of hobbit gallantry…the very idea of these little people fighting off a pack of wild dogs was one that he could barely entertain. The image of them standing, undaunted, against a horde of orcs was not to be credited. And yet, Snaveling was practiced enough by now to tell when Toby was fabricating and when he was not, and he spoke his tale with the assurance that comes only from an honest soul. Snaveling had underestimated Roa – had he underestimated these Halflings as well?

The Common Room was beginning to fill up with all manner of folk looking for their breakfast. As they had finished their meal, Roa, Snaveling and Toby were obliged to give up their table to another party. “Well, Toby,” said Roa. “I know that Snaveling and I have agreed to help with the decorating, but if you wouldn’t mind I think I’d like to have a bit of a look about the place first. What about you Snaveling?”

“I wouldn’t mind seeing the result of our labours My…” he caught himself, “Roa,” he finished. The name felt odd in his mouth; like fine pastry might to a man used to bread.

Roa smiled at his near slip. “All right then. Toby, as this is your land, lead the way!” Toby was only too happy to oblige: leading was something he had proven to be very good at.

They walked back through the room toward the kitchen to have a look at the completed Inn. The builders had been as good as their word; everything was fit and secure and ready for full service. The bustle in the kitchen was mighty with hobbits running about amid a terrible clatter as they prepared the flurry of orders coming in from the Common Room. They moved away from the kitchen and walked back toward the front door.

As they walked through the hall, they passed the rebuilt cellar door. As Snaveling saw it, a sudden chill ran up his back, turned at the neck, and ran back down. Roa saw him shudder and before he could look away from the cellar door, her eyes followed his. She stopped in her tracks and he could see that she was working something out. He hoped, with every fibre of his being, that the moment would pass unremarked.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:30 PM   #83
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
As Roa followed Snaveling's line of sight, she froze. The cellar. Her lungs tightened instinctually. The memory's were coming back again. Slowly, Roa stepped toward the doors. Snaveling tried to stop her.

"Why would you go down that way, Roa? Nothing is down there," he said casually, but Roa could read the desperation in his voice. Toby stopped walking and could only gape. Roa's face had hardened completely. Now I remember. The barrels were blocking my path becuase... becuase... Roa turned and ran. She needed air, fresh air. She inwardly cried denial, but the memories did not stop, and it could not be denied. Snaveling... he trapped me... he left me to die!

Galadel was at her side in an instant. Valthalion came running as well. Toby had followed outside as fast as his hobbit legs could carry him- which was surprisingly fast. Only Snaveling did not rush to them. He followed her out cautiously, keeping a safe distance. Galadel produced a strange liquid and forced it down Roa's throat. Immediately, her breathing slowed. Galadel muttered something to Toby, who immediately set about dispelling the curious onlookers. With some fast words, he calmed their fears and suspicions, and they left. Valthalion helped Roa to a spot under the shade to rest a minute. Roa's face lost all expresion as she looked at Snaveling, who slowly making his way to their position.

"Why do you hesitate, sir? I gave my word that no harm would come to you through me, and my word stands, no matter how I regret it." He came and stood in front of her. "Help me to stand, Valthalion." The young man pulled her to her feet and supported her.

"Has you memory returned... my lady?" Snaveling questioned quietly. Roa noted the formal address. Friend no more, then.. "It has indeed, sir. From this day forth I release you from my bond. You are free to come and go as you please. I wish for you to never enter my sight again." Her voice stayed flat, her face blank, and her eyes would not look at him. I would have burned and it would not have kept sleep from him! It was with great restraint she turned from him. Facing Galadel, she surprised to see the sadness reflected in the Elfwoman's eyes. Roa was more surprised to feel the deep sadness within herself.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Old 03-04-2004, 04:41 PM   #84
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Aman turned flusteredly to Grimm and Cree and even in her business couldn't help smiling at them as they stood there in front of her. Her arm was hooked through his elbow, she was nestled slightly into his side, he stood so close by her - they fitted together naturally like the pieces of a well made puzzle. Aman smiled, then turned back to the question asked of her.

"What to do...no, I don't think there is anything now, Cree, Grimm - you're back to being guests at the Inn once more!" She beamed at them and added inwardly with a flush of happiness and pride, and soon Mr Meriadoc will be as well, then with slight worry, and so will Cook.

Cook...what would Vinca think of the Inn as it was now? To Aman's eyes, it was beautiful now, possibly even more than it had been before, just because it had been built up in front of Aman's eyes. Tokens and gifts from several Inn members adorned the walls and Common Room - a bunch of flowers from two young hobbit lasses, sitting in a rescued and restored vase on one of the windowsills, a charcoal drawing of the Shire from one of the elves, a carving of the Inn's name, entwined with a dragon above the fireplace, the magnificent doors. Even the Innkeeper herself bore some of the kind customer's work - her hair was tied back with two long, green ribbons, which matched her eyes almost perfectly. In all the new rooms of the Inn, Aman could see the craftmanship and kindess of the volunteers who had been so selflessly helpful (although she had her misgivings about a few...), people of all sorts, helping to build back a community that several of them didn't even know well. Such kindness was more than Aman had ever expected, and it delighted her in everything she now saw in the beautifully restored Green Dragon.

But the work was not over yet, for when such an achievement is reached, the work cannot go unrewarded. And, as Aman had found out last time there had been a party at the Dragon, for the naming ceremony of Mithadan and Pio's beautiful twins, a girl and a boy, there was nowhere that did parties at quite the same scale as the Shire. Still, they had managed it last time, in only a few days; over the past ten days they had managed to virtually rebuild half the Inn, all before Cook could see the damage (the last few beams and tiles were being fixed into place even now). To work out a whole party so quickly and for everyone who had helped and more? Sure, 'twould be no problem....right?

As Aman thought this, she finished climbing the stairs up to the attic, or the guest quarters as they were now (Pio and Mithadan's room last), and then approached the round window looking out across the green pleasantness of the Shire, swinging it open easily on well-oiled hinges. Then, hitching up her skirt, she climbed onto the sill - but not to do anything drastic, of course, not on such a delightful day when all was so well! Instead of throwing herself off as some who did not know the Innkeeper so well may have thought, Aman then turned around, spinning on her heels on her precarious top floor perch, then, gripping the grooves between the bricks firmly with her slim fingers, she put her right foot onto the top of the window and pulled herself up once more, so her chest was level with the roof. Then, with arms made strong from heaving bricks these past days and from handling half-wild colts her whole life, Aman pulled herself up, spinning mid-jump to sit neatly on the edge. Then, relaxing on the perch she had made hers, the blue folds of her dress hanging down over crossed, swinging feet, the faint, pleasant breeze ruffling the loose strands of her hair very slightly, the Innkeeper gave a great, contented sigh and smiled.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:46 PM   #85
SonOfBombadil
Animated Skeleton

Location: In a place that is not a place, in a time that never was.
SonOfBombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Ferumbras Whitfoot from Bywater

Ferumbras rode on his cart over the earthen road. He was moving slightly slowly because of the heavy load that his poor pony was hauling. But it was alright, it was a glorious day, and he had the whole day ahead of him. He rounded a corner and saw his destination, The Green Dragon Inn. He knew exactly where to go, but the inn looked so different. It was true! And the inn had been rebuilt. Then he had come for the right reason, and he was sure he'd have success.

As Ferumbras approached the inn, he noticed that a lot of hustle and bustle was going on, and a lot of people were going in and out of the inn. He slowed his cart, and then brought it to a halt in front of the building. The hobbit jumped down and looked around. He then noticed a young woman sitting on the roof of the inn. "Excuse me miss," he called up to her, "could you please tell me where I could find a Miss Amanduial?"
Old 03-04-2004, 07:33 PM   #86
Lumiel

Lumiel has just left Hobbiton.
In her time with Fungrim, short though it had been, all traces of the willful orphan Indy seemed to have disappeared. She nearly glowed, smiling always and finding new things to learn everyday. She had clothes on her back, a roof over her head, food, and a friend.

She sat at a table with Fungrim, nibbling at some bread and cheese for lunch. At first, Fungrim had seemed somewhat distant and uncomfortable with her, but he seemed to open up more and more each day. She was proud of the work that she had done with Fungrim, the stonework she had helped with would last for longer than she would in all likelyhood. Fungrim took a gulp from his mug and Indy turned to look at him inquisitively.

"Fungrim, do you have a family?" she asked with a half-mouthful of bread.

"What?" asked Fungrim. Her words had been partially garbled, but there still seemed to be something else to his question.

Indy swallowed and spoke again. "Do you have a family? You know, a mom and dad...brothers and sisters...or were you an orphan like me?" She picked at her bread, her small legs swinging to an unknown and irregular rhythm from her chair, short of touching the floor. She seemed oblivious to the sudden discomfort of the dwarf caused by her question, a question of his past.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:48 PM   #87
Memory of Trees
Haunting Spirit

Location: Here! Over here!!! Behind that rock. Yes, that is I...
Memory of Trees has just left Hobbiton.
Lyra stared down at her bare, brown feet, watching the dust puff up in little clouds around her ankles as she trod along the path. Her clothes were already a dusty rust color, so it did not matter about the dirt. She wasn’t one to worry about such things, anyway.

Tall and boyish in figure, it wasn’t that Lyra wasn’t a pretty girl. Long black hair and heavy eyelashes softened her dark features, making her attractive in that simple way that is so appealing to those who cherish beauty. A firm jaw and appraising eye spoke of hidden strength, and they spoke truth. She simply didn’t care, and there was nothing more to be said.

Mid-morning always put Lyra in high spirits, and as she walked along, she began to hum softly. It was an effortless tune, a lullaby or some such song that she could vaguely recall hearing, and she improvised when the notes in her head ran out. The weather was fine, and all was well.

Lyra saw the sign, sticking up like beacon on the dusty road, welcoming weary travelers. The Green Dragon Inn. Lyra began to hum once more.

In time, she arrived at the doorstep of the inn. She stepped in without the least bit of hesitation, and blinked several times to adjust to the lesser lighting. What she saw pleased her. The inn was bright and clean, very different from the cheap taverns where she had been sleeping. The place seemed to be under construction, but it didn’t bother her – she could handle a little noise, certainly.

Lyra must have made a funny sight as she stood there in the doorway. She was dressed in cut-off boy’s trousers, with an odd, tight shirt that hung down calf-length in the back. It was black, very ragged, and she wore no shoes. She must have seemed foreign and half-wild, standing in front of the door with the sun turning her outline to gold. But as we have said, Lyra did not care.

A young woman was behind the counter, wiping them down with an air of maternal pride that gave a great deal of indication to who she was. Lyra stepped forward, her bare feet making a soft padding noise as she walked. The woman looked up.

Lyra raised her chin: her tone was oddly imperious. “I want something to eat,” she said.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:27 AM   #88
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Regin Hardhammer

Regin took a step backwards to look at the newly completed Inn. Admiring the fine handiwork, Regin felt his chest swell with pride. Everyone had done a splendid job. The work had been completed nearly a week ahead of schedule, thanks to the persistence of the crew and his own hard headed determination. What a proud day it was for the folk of the Green Dragon!

Regin had put the finishing touches on the Inn gate not a day before. A roaring dragon etched in iron now greeted all who made their way up the road. Regin had done the metalwork himself, being the only person there with such intricate skill in metal. The Dragon spread its wings and clenched its massive talons around an oak trunk. For a comedic touch, Regin had spread a broad and leering smile across the face of the beast. Below the roaring dragon, embossed letters proclaimed, “Welcome to the Green Dragon Inn.” Surely any weary traveler would not pass up an Inn with a gate as grand as this, thought Regin. Pleased with his work, the Dwarf now turned to more pressing business.

Regin slipped away to his new chamber in the Inn where he had hidden his surprise. He would need to plan when he would present this. He searched for Aman to talk with her about planning the upcoming party, but could not find her anywhere. He had just about given up looking, when he spied her perched on the sill of the attic window and later on the roof itself.

He called up apprehensively, “Mistress Aman ,what in the world are you doing up there? You'd best get down before you fall.”
In the past, Regin had saved a pair of hobbits from certain injury when a rickety rope broke as they were climbing up, so he had a healthy skepticism of places that were too far above his head.

Scrambling up the steps to the attic, he poked his head out the casement and caught the Innkeeper's eye, “I have come to ask you about the rebuilding party. During the celebration, would it be possible for me to briefly address the workers. I wish to offer them my gratitude, and perhaps a special boon I have prepared. What do you say?”

Last edited by Regin Hardhammer; 03-05-2004 at 12:31 AM.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:03 AM   #89
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
Harold Brandybuck

Harold now had some food and then went on with his business ,Alwin his companinon had left him to tend the gardens almost destroyed by the horses and the ponies,and now Harold turned his attention to more pressing matters himself,Regin Handhammer had asked him to put up a board above the fireplace depicting Shire pictures and the name of the Inn.Regin had himself made the board at the entrance of the Inn ,so Harold feeling that he too should complete his own board got to work instantly.

"MY my how forgetfull i have become ?",said Harold realising that he had'nt had any wood left after he had made the chairs and tables in the common room.

'So where would i get some wood?',he thought,'of course let me ask Regin himself'.So putting out his pipe he went in search of Regin.....
Old 03-05-2004, 07:43 AM   #90
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

The truth was out at last. Snaveling stood silent as Roa accused him of leaving her to burn, for there was nothing he could say. As the story came out, unopposed by the silent gray Man who now stood apart somewhat from the strange company that had before enclosed and comforted him, the air of the yard began to change. Val’s eyes were once more filled with the hatred and disgust that he had felt for Snaveling upon their first meeting; even Toby turned a glance to Snaveling that was bitter and chill. The hobbit did not need to ask the Man if the accusations were true, for it was Roa who was accusing, and Snaveling who was accused. Only Galadel appeared unsurprised, but her look was one of sadness and, Snaveling feared, disappointment.

When Roa concluded by releasing Snaveling from his bond, he felt no joy and no comfort. Wordlessly, he turned his back upon his companions and walked back to the stables to collect his meager belongings. As he dragged his feet across the ground of the yard, he could feel the eyes of the curious following him as he went. He clutched the small iron amulet that hung about his neck and disappeared into the darkness of the stables.

It did not take him long to gather up his few meager possessions and put them into his ragged pockets. He took his travel-stained cloak from the nail where it had hung these past two weeks and threw it about his shoulders. He turned and faced out the door of the stable into the blazing sun. He did not move – for he did not know where he was going.

He paused. It seemed to him that he should know where to go. At least, he felt that he should know what he was seeking, but even the memory of the hunting lodge that had been his dream was now gone, leaving only a chill and barren space in his spirit. Melancholy came over him like a suffocating blanket and his vision went dark. His shoulders slumped in defeat and, for a moment, he gave way to the uttermost despair. It was perhaps the darkest moment of his life, and it almost overwhelmed his spirit completely. But he had not walked in the wild places of the world all those empty years without learning how to combat the grim defeat of the lonely man. He shook his shoulders and straightened his back. He forced himself to step out the stables and into the yard once more.

Before him lay the road that led away from the Inn and to all the lands beyond. Looking neither right nor left, he began to walk…

Last edited by Fordim Hedgethistle; 03-05-2004 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:04 AM   #91
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Cree
Nothing to do? I guess then eveything is under control. Aman has worked so hard, just like everyone else. Cree turned to look at Grimm, her eyes fixed on his. "So now what? Do we just go back and sit down?" Cree tried to relax but couldn't. She seemed out of place in a world with so much trouble. My life is now perfect. What more could I ask for? I just want to be happy and now I am. Perfect.... Just perfect.

It was easy to see the tension building up inside her. No doubt Grimm could feel it too. Cree tried to smile but it only made matters worse. "Grimm can we go sit down some wheres. I feel almost as if I'm going to faint." Cree layed her hand over her face. She thought her world was going to implode on her. Can I have so much and loose it.

Cree could feel a tear roll down her cheek. She didn't know why she would cry over something so natural for her. "Grimm I don't want to loose you, not now, not ever." Her gray eyes reflected Grimm's face. Every feature that Cree seemed to find comforting. Her life was better now with Grimm. She layed her head against his shoulder. "I don't want to loose you."
Old 03-05-2004, 10:31 AM   #92
bilbo_baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In my front hallway, grabbing my staff, about to head out my door
bilbo_baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to bilbo_baggins
Sting

As he arrived at the hill over Bywater, he came up to the Green Dragon! Oooh! That elfen witchy character looked positively creepy with her companion! Ah, well! Shouldn't judge by appearances, howener pretty or ugly, as his gaffer tended to say of a time.

Now for an ale and maybe a bit of labor, aye that would cheer him up no end. But what ho, the Inn is near finished! The scallywags! they had gone and done it again, they had done the work without him. Oh, well. As much as can be avoided should, as his gaf... Arrghh! He must have that ale and forget certain things.

-------

Ponto sipped the ale, and stared at the others nearby, elves and hobbits; mainly hobbits. So many people, so many. He had not been near so many since the days of the fire..... Siiiip!!!! He had to forget!

All of his past, all the things he done for his love, for naught! Why must he remember! It was always too painful a thing to broach. With the stopper unplugged, it all came down on him in a flood. All, from the fire to the awakening, to all the women scorning, to his late companion Oin Stealthanvil, to his gaffer Smallburrow. Why? He nearly wept with the force of emotion pouring over his self.

He had to have come here, to this Inn, this bustling place full of so many people. He would leave soon.

Last edited by piosenniel; 03-05-2004 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:36 PM   #93
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Tobias Hornblower wasn’t sure what to do or say. He stood, face set in stone, thinking hard. He had known that Snaveling was underhanded, but this went far beyond illicit behavior. Foul thoughts had passed between Roa and Snaveling too fast and strong for him to decipher, but he knew their bond was indeed broken and possibly never to be salvaged. In an instant, before Toby could think of anything to say, Snaveling, looking dejected, disappeared like a beaten shadow, fading as the sun’s light hit it. The hobbit didn’t move in the least, the rivers of his mind running faster than ever before.

“Is there nothing to be done?” he said at last, not quite sure why he said it. The words flowed out of pursed lips, which sealed themselves as soon as the phrase was uttered. No one responded, each person looking strangely subdued by the happenings, as was the elder gentlehobbit.

A sudden surge of unknown energy lanced through him as his feet began moving without knowing exactly where they were going. He fled swiftly from the grounds where Roa and Galadel were and heedlessly towards the stable area. He caught sight of the man directly outside, carrying both physical and mental burdens upon him. He bore his traveling cloak and his pockets and the bags that hung at his sides contained the possessions he had brought to the Green Dragon. It didn’t take Toby more than a moment to figure out what was going on. Snaveling was leaving.

Again, his thoughts raced, going in directions they had never attempted to travel in the past. He could do any number of things, follow many paths to different ends, but one path lay before him. Tobias Hornblower had to admit that he didn’t want Snaveling to go, though the fact struck harshly at his pride. He had a friend in the shady man, and friends in Roa and Galadel. He had become a new hobbit in a week, doing things he never thought himself possible of. If Snaveling left, every achievement of his would fade. Toby walked swiftly towards the man, not even having time to consider his words before them began ushering out of him regardless of his thoughts.

“Snaveling,” He said weakly, proceeding alongside the defeated man, “It is apparent to me that you and Miss Roa are not on the best of terms at the moment. It is also apparent that you may be considering fleeing from here. Though you may scorn my opinions, I beseech you, do not act so rashly. Remain here and right whatever wrongs have caused this depression. The party will lift your spirits, I promise you. Stay at least until then.”

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Old 03-05-2004, 03:37 PM   #94
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Aman

Aman squinted down, opening her eyes and emerging from the blissful state she had been in, and looked down to the newcomer, shading her eyes against the still-rising sun. A hot-looking, pleasant faced individual sat in the seat of a pony cart, looking back up at her.

"Can you tell me where to find Miss Amanaduial, miss?" He repeated his question. Aman smiled, her face still cast in the shadow of her hand.

"You have found her, good sir - I am Amanaduial, Innkeeper of this place, although people rarely call me by my full name," she called down. "Give me a moment - we shall talk more easily in the Common Room."

The man nodded and Aman turned quickly, sliding down agilely into the window to land with practised half-ease beside the cot that had been used for the twins and which was bathed in half light. Looking back outside, Aman let herself soak up a few more blissful moments of the calm and peace of the beautiful Shire, then turned to dart quickly downstairs and into the Common Room, and slipping under the bar as she saw a few people waiting for drinks - back to routine, she thought, with a trace of pride. Tucking a strand of chestnut hair behind one ear, she looked around again for the newcomer who had saluted her...
Old 03-05-2004, 06:06 PM   #95
SonOfBombadil
Animated Skeleton

Pipe

Ferumbras Whitfoot

Well of course she's the innkeeper, anyone can see that! Ferumbras told himself as he walked up the new wood steps. It's a wonderful day, and would make anyone with such a nice new inn want to climb on a roof. He walked in and looked around. He saw people all over the place doing this and that. Most looked busy, as if preparing for something, but a few were sitting on the chairs and stools having an ale or two.

Ferumbras then noticed, who he recognized as the innkeeper from the roof. He walked over to her. "Hello Miss Amanduial, my name is Ferumbras Whitfoot." The hobbit said, in a polite, cheerful manner. "Am I correct that this inn is newly built because your last one had a bit of an incident with a fire?" "Yes, that was this inn, but..." came a quickly cut-off reply. "Well then, I just might have a proposal that should be appealing to you." Ferumbras waited for a reply, while he caught his breath.
Old 03-06-2004, 06:28 AM   #96
Will Witfoot
Haunting Spirit

Will Witfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Fungrim sighed and took another draught from his mug. This was exactly where he did'nt want the conversation to go. His banishment from the ancestral hold of his kin was like a wound he had carried for years, keeping him in hurt and threatening to drive him crazy. Talking about it was too painfull.. or was it?.

He was supprised to realize that it did'nt hurt quite so much anymore, and if he was honest with himself, somewhat dissapointed, sad even.
Yet he knew beyond a shadow of doubt that the wound was begining to heal. He had adapted to a lonely life in the wilds, and of late he had started to care less and less about his past.
He tried to tell himself that he should be happy, that he could turn a new page, start a new life. And yet, all the things he had loved and cared about, his family, his life in the hold surrounded by his kin, was sinking into the swamp of oblivion. He found that he could'nt even remember his father properly. All that was left was a dull echo of old memories, like a shadow reflected onto the wall of a cave, disstorted and unreal.
At that moment, he disscovered that he was indeed an exile. All vague hopes he had harboured of one day returning to his family were splintered.

"No, Indy. I have no family."

"Did they die?" the girl asked, her small voice filled with sympathy.

Saddly, Fungrim shook his head.

"To them, I am dead."
Herein, it is said, the power of Ulmo was shown. For he gathered tidings of all that passed in Beleriand, and every stream that flowed from Middle-earth to the Great Sea was to him a messenger, both to and fro
Old 03-06-2004, 01:29 PM   #97
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

The party Snaveling heard Toby say. He paused in his tracks and turned toward his friend. Looking down at the fellow he stood there with his mouth agape. "The party?" he repeated.

"Yes yes yes," the gentlehobbit's words came as fast as they could. "The party tonight, to honour us for rebuilding the Inn. There's to be ale and wine and the best leaf; nobody has a party like we in the Shire, so you must stay. . ." and he trailed off into silence.

The party, Snaveling thought. The idea of going to a celebration seemed ludicrous to him, given what had just transpired. He looked across the yard to where Roa sat with Val and Galadel. Roa avoided his glance, while Val returned it with venemous bile. The Elf woman looked at him with distant pity and merely nodded to him, as though in acknowledgment of some pact or private understanding. Snaveling looked back to Toby. "You wish me. . .to stay?" The Halfling nodded his head vigorously. "But," Snaveling stammered, "I have been dismissed" dismissed? "I mean, released by Roa; I am free to go."

"But where in this Middle-Earth will you go, " Toby cried with apparent desperation. "I thought you wanted to get some land hereabouts and settle down. How many times in these past few days have I heard you talk about the lonely years you've spent alone in the Wild? I know that we Shirefolk can appear ridiculous and small to some from the Outside, but you've seen that we are a good sensible folk to live with."

Snaveling could not believe what he was hearing. "But," his thoughts were whirling. "But, I could have killed Roa, I. . ." He caught back a strange strangled knot in the back of his throat. "How could you possibly want me to stay?"

Toby looked at the ground and said very softly, "Because you are our friend." He looked up into Snaveling's eyes once more. "All of us, you stupid Man. Me, Galadel, Roa -- maybe not Val, not yet at any rate, but he'll come around." He smiled and Snaveling had to join him. "Just come to the party tonight. I'm sure that you can find a way to fix this with Roa. She's in a fury now, but as my old father used to say 'If it's breakable it's fixable'."

Snaveling looked at the Halfling in silence, then turned and looked down the Road. I have done Roa a great wrong, he thought, at the very least, I should try to find some way pay that debt. Even as he thought this, there came to him as a distant echo, like the memory of wind in the night, the sound of birdsong in a valley, and for a moment he caught a fleeting glimpse of stone patio in the sun, perfect for smoking. Where is this place? But the vision was gone. He shook his head and turned back to Toby.

"All right, Toby, I will stay for the party and try to find a way to speak with Roa. I have no hope that she will forgive me, but no-one will be able to say that I did not try."
Old 03-06-2004, 10:41 PM   #98
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Hawthorne Brandybuck

Hawthorne was hard at work trying to repair the damage that the ponies had done to the gardens. She'd managed to spruce up the flower beds, removing the half eaten blossoms and substituting others that she'd found in her walk along the banks of The Water. The herbs and vegetables were a more difficult propoposition. It had taken many long afternoons to find the stock of seedlings that she'd planted in the rear courtyard of the Inn. How would she ever replace them in such a short time?

Slowly, an idea formed in her head. Perhaps she could get some help from her former Nanny. Daffodil had been touring the West Farthing for several weeks along with several members of the Gamgee family while the Inn was being rebuilt. Now, she and the Gamgees had returned to Bag-end; Samwise wanted to come to the party at the Dragon, especially since his old friend Merry was expected to attend.

Of all the homes in Hobbiton and Bywater, Bag-end was still reputed to have the most beautiful flowers. No matter how much work Mayor Samwise had to do, he always saved time to keep his flower and herb gardens in tiptop shape. Plus, the Gamgee children were now old enough to help their father in his work, learning to plant, weed, and water the flower and vegetable beds.

Hawthorne decided that this might be a good time to visit Nanny Daffodil at Bag-end, and drop a few gentle hints about her carefully tended beds of herbs and salad greens that the ponies had trampled. A nice floral arrangement to grace the central table in the party room would also be of help. Hawthorne quickly slipped on her one spare dress -- all her others had been lost in the blaze -- and scampered out the door in the direction of Bag-end. She would need to carry out her errand quickly, since Regin had told her to be back soon to help with the party preparations.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:52 AM   #99
Lumiel

Indy did not understand. Fungrim's family had not died, but yet he was dead to them? For her young mind this was a cryptic message beyond her understanding. Yet he had used death in his answer, so the feeling of it, if not the true reality of it, was in Fungrim's heart.

Indy looked at the dwarf with large, sympathetic eyes. She might not understand exactly what it was that he meant, but she did understand the pain of death, of losing loved ones. On an impulse, she wrapped her arms around him in a hug and kissed his cheek. Fungrim patted her head and sighed. Sitting back down, she gazed at him with fawn eyes, thinking.

"Fungrim," she started softly, her small voice serious, "will you be my family?" she asked with sincerity. Fungrim turned to her, having been shaken out of his remembrance of a painful past.

"I'm not sure you'd want a dwarf, let alone me for family, Indy." he said to her. It wouldn't be right for him to replace his own family, no matter how lost they were to him. Besides, his lifestyle could never accomadate the needs of Indy, she was too young. She needed a mother and a father, and brothers and sisters too.

"But you're the only one I've got. No one else has ever cared for me like you have. No one else ever paid attention to me." she paused. "But if you want me to, I'll leave." she added, having misunderstood the intent of Fungrim's answer. Tears came to her eyes and she turned away, brushing them away angrily. She hated tears, she hated to look weak like this.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:35 PM   #100
Will Witfoot
Haunting Spirit

Will Witfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Fungrim gently placed his hand on Indy's shoulder and pulled the child to himself. She truned to face him, tears streaming from her eyes, trying furiously to wipe them away. He picked her up easily and placed her into his lap, holding her in a tight hug. She threw her arms around his neck and sobbed.

"Indy," he said in a gentle voice. "I dont want you to leave. But you must understand Indy, that I cant be your family."

Indy gave another sobb and continued to try wiping the tears away from her small face and eyes.

"You need someone who can look after you proper, someone who's got a roof over their head and who can provide you with a happy and safe childhood. I cant do neither."

"My paths are dangerous ones, lassie. I have taken it upon me to never cease the battle I have taken as my own, and though I am weary, weary beyond belief, I cant stop now."

He pulled out a red silk hankerchief he had borrowed from one of the little folk. Gingerly he wiped away the tears from the childs eyes. She looked up at him sad and puzzled by his words.

"But, Indy, you are my friend, my only friend in the world. And friends are for life, eh?".
Herein, it is said, the power of Ulmo was shown. For he gathered tidings of all that passed in Beleriand, and every stream that flowed from Middle-earth to the Great Sea was to him a messenger, both to and fro

Last edited by Will Witfoot; 03-10-2004 at 02:36 AM.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:47 PM   #101
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Aman

Aman smiled at the hobbit, catching her breath slightly, and he was obviously doing the same. In answer to her question, she said, "Yes, that was this Inn, but-"

"Well then, I just might have a proposal that should be appealing to you." The hobbit cut her off quickly and with an air of slight triumph. The Innkeeper paused, regarding him; she didn't like interruptions of any form, especially from people who she didn't know. However, it was rather hard to dislike this hobbit, and she stuck out a hand.

"First things first, sir - I shouldn't like to take any sort of proposition from someone I didn't even know the name of. You already know I am Aman, the Innkeeper of this fine Green Dragon, but who may you be? I'm afraid I didn't catch your name before. And then we shall move onto such propositions," she finished, smiling as she waited for the man to take her hand.

Last edited by Amanaduial the archer; 03-09-2004 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:52 PM   #102
Angry Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Angry Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
"I've been the White Rover nigh on twenty year,
So come sweet lassie and give me a beer!"

That wasn't quite right, but Angry would work on it later. He was nearing the inn now and didn't want anyone to hear him singing. There had been enough talk of him being unhinged as it was. He was in high spirits, however, and he wouldn't let anyone bring him down as he guided Old McFurly's horse and trap down the road toward the inn, that when he left had been a smoking wreck.

Now, however, it was anything but! The work these people had done in such a short time was incredible. He just wished that he had not had to travel to see his parents, but all was well, it had given him a good opportunity.

He pulled up outside the inn and got down. He was just struggling to remove one of the huge barrels of Brand Oak Bitter from the back of the trap when he heard a familiar voice behind him.

"Hello stranger" said Crystal
Old 03-08-2004, 06:30 AM   #103
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

A dwarf and a woman, quite the unusual pair. They had been on the road since before the sun this day and they were both tired a hungry. "What about stopping here?" The woman, Peony, suggested.

Deva stroked his long beard. "The Green Dragon? I haven't stayed here before, but it looks as good a places as any. Come on then, let's go get ourselves a room."

Peony followed Deva into the inn and it was a nice little place. The two must have looked an odd pair. A short, brownhaired, long bearded dwarf. And a tall, frail looking woman with long red hair and sharp green eyes.

"I'll get us a room, Peony." Deva said as he headed to the front desk.

Peony nodded and looked for a place to sit down. Her feet were tired and she wasn't going to be able to stand much longer. She found a table in the back and hoped Deva would find her when he returned. Meanwhile she looked around for someone to talk to.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:58 AM   #104
Angel_Queen
Animated Skeleton

Angel_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Ravon looked up. The sun was in her eyes and hay in her hair. Ravon stood up and began pulling hay from her hair. "Now to find Lewis." She left the barn and began her search for her friend. "Lewis!" All she could remember was falling asleep by the tree. How she got to the barn remained a mystery. She walked to the inn and noticed a familar figure.

"Lewis!" Ravon ran over to him and wrapped her arms around his neck. "I have missed you. How did I get to the barn?" She had a smile on her face that seemed to stretch from pointy ear to pointy ear. Ravon couldn't remember the last time she was so happy. All her life she was always in pain over a lost friend. Now she was happy and didn't want to end her happiness.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:59 AM   #105
bilbo_baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Not knowing where to go, the poor hobbit called Ponto stumbled and turned about in a slightly drunken stupor. He felt he should make a friend to help him if he should pass out, as there were things on his person he would feel better watched as he slept.

"Hello, how are you?" he asked a person walking past, "What is your name?"

"Harold, and yours?" the passerby asked.

"Ponto, sir. Ponto Smallburrow," was the simple reply, "Do you know the innkeeper?"

"Yes, urm; ah! there she is! There is Aman." Harold pointed at a young pretty woman with amazing blond hair, talking with a hobbit like himself. Ponto saw they were tense, a trifle uneasy.

"Well, thank you, Harold. I will see you later, perhaps?"

"Yes, well um, quite..." he mumbled as he walked off, speaking of finding some Regin character.

----------

As he approached the Innkeeper, he could hear snatches of their conversation, "...and then we shall move on to such propositions." She held out her hand for the other hobbit to shake.

"Eh, excuse me, miz. Aman, I believe?"

"Yes?" She replied, while hardly moving a muscle.

"I was wondering where I might find a room? I'll not be staying long." Ponto said.

"Ah, yes. They're through there." She gestured towards a corridor.

"Well, thank you, miz." Ponto started for the corridor entrance. He glanced behind and saw the Innkeeper extend her hand again to the stranger she was conversing with. "I hope it turns out alright, whate'er they're talking 'bout."
Old 03-08-2004, 06:00 PM   #106
SonOfBombadil
Animated Skeleton

Shield Lewis Of Rohan

Lewis heard his name being called, so he stood up, and turned towards the familiar voice. Without warning, Ravon had thrown her arms around him and was smiling her big, beautiful smile. "I have missed you. How did I get to the barn?" she asked him.

'Oh, I carried you up there once you had fallen asleep, I didn't want you to get cold outside." Lewis answered with a smile. He was happy to see her, his morning had been empty so far without her. "How did you sleep?" he asked.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:55 AM   #107
Angel_Queen
Animated Skeleton

Angel_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
"How did you sleep?" Ravon knew the question would be asked but she didn't know how to answer him. She slept good but the dreams were what bothered her the most. Ravon smiled.
"Well I slept good but that was only between nightmares." The word made her want to run away. She didn't know what had caused the nightmares to start with. She sat down on the grass and began to think about the dreams.
"I was being chased by someone or something. I don't know what it was. When it caught up with me the only thing I remember is seeing you come in and...." Ravon looked down at the ground. "I tried to stop it but I couldn't. The beast.. the blood.. The screams."

Ravon knew her dream meant nothing. All it was there for was to make her sleep more pleasant. Yet how could it when all she could do was scream everytime she woke up. "I know it doesn't mean anything but Lewis I don't want to loose you. You have made everything better for me."

As much as she wanted to cry she couldn't. For some reason all the tears had dried up. It was either that or she had lost all sense of feelings or emotions. She had changed so much over the years of her life. She was grown now, no longer able to hide. Ravon had to face her fears and conquer them before they conquered her.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:24 AM   #108
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadel Vinorel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Silmaril Galadel

Galadel could not say anything when Roa released Snaveling from her. It seemed as if the calming words that she wished to say were caught deep in her throat. She choked baack the tears that wished to come from her eyes and looked at Roa sadly. "Oh why, Roa?" she thought to herself, "It is not supposed to appen this way." Galaadel's heart was beating very fast alll of a sudden. "What is wrong with me?" And then a memory came, one from when she was only a young adult, a memory that she had spent years trying to forget.

"Sister!" said a young voice. The voice echoed through the woods of Lothlorien as a young elf girl with flowing golden hair and bare feet ran through the sweet grass of her homeland. "Sister come back here. Mama and Papa warned us not to go tooo far away. You are going to get me in trouble. I was supposed to keep an eye on you," said the girl, searchingly from side to side as she ran desperately, with increasing speed.
Suddenly a bloodcurdling scream echoed through the forest. It was the scream of a terrified little child. Immediately the running girl halted, a horrifed look upon her face. "Yarvenel!" she yelled at the top of her lungs. Then she began to run faster, with all the strength that she had towards the direction of the scream.
When she had reached one of the meadows she stopped to catch her breath, and that's when she saw her. In the middle of the meadow, her own blood staining the grass red around her, laid a small child, blonde hair also stained almost completely red by the blood streaming forth from the wound on her head. "Oh no! Yarvenel!" creid the older girl. Running to her sister, she fell upon her knees, tears streaming down her face. "What happened?"
The child's eyes fluttered open, a a tired and pained look in her eyes. "I'm sorry sister. I thought that I could climb the tree to touch the pretty bird, but I fell. I'm sorry for running away," said Yarvenel softly. "It's allright, little one. Everything will be fine now," said the older girl sadly.

"But there was no helping her," thought Galadel as the memory faded from her, "I could not save her. But I won't let myself make the same mistake twice. I must do something to heal this fued between Roa and Snaveling. Snaveling must not leave yet."

Galadel then stood up from where she had been seating. Leaving a confused Roa and Val behind her, the elf walked firmly towards the Inn's road where Toby and Snaveling stood talking.
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Old 03-09-2004, 11:30 AM   #109
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Crystal Heart has just left Hobbiton.
Crystal smiled as she saw a fimilar figure coming towards the Inn. She ran over to meet the one person she had been missing for quite a while. He had gone to talk to his parents about her before they actually came to meet her. She was worried, but felt that things had gone fine. She walked over him, her smile never failing.

"Hello stranger," Crystal said softly. The light in her eyes danced as she continued to smile. She watched Angry's face turn from concentration to great happiness and surprise. He stopped where he was and hugged her to him. She smiled brightly in his arms. Things hadn't changed while he was gone.

"I was starting to wonder if you were even going to come back to the Shire at all," Crystal teased as she pulled away from his face to look at him.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:48 PM   #110
SonOfBombadil
Animated Skeleton

Shield Lewis of Rohan

Lewis listened as Ravon told him about the nightmare that she had had the night before. It troubled him to hear that she wasn't sleeping well. She finished her sentence, "I know it doesn't mean anything but Lewis I don't want to lose you. You have made everything better for me."

Lewis leaned over and gave her a hug. "It will be alright, it was just a dream." he said, "I will never leave you." He looked her in the eyes and smiled. He noticed that her smile had returned, although not as bright as before, it was still a smile. "Come on, let's go see if there's anything we can help with for the party."

~*~*~*~*~*~

Ferumbras Whitfoot

"Oh dear, I must have been mumbling! I am sorry, my name is Ferumbras Whitfoot. I live in Bywater, and I am an inventor!" he said, "and I am most honored to make your aquaintance Miss Aman." Ferumbras extended his hand to meet that of the innkeepers, and shook it firmly. "Now, as for my offer. I am an inventor and I have something that would help very much in the case that another fire should start around the vicinity of the cook stove." He continued, "and if you are interested, I would be very happy to give you and your cooks a free demonstration."

He finished quite out of breath once again, as he tended to be rather long winded when he was nervous.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:31 AM   #111
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Harold Brandybuck

Harold had been busy all day ,he had found the wood he nedded from Regin and had completed his work on the board .

He looked at his work what a fine job he had done he thought,the board now showed flowing pictures of the Shire,a hoobit smoking a peaceful pipe and driking a mug of beer it showed and the name Green Dragon Inn in bold letters,but for now he covered his work for he needed to ask someone where he should put his board.

So he searched for Buttercup the maid of the Inn surely she would know he thought ,but he could not find her,thinking that she would soon return to the Inn he sat there in the coomon room chatting with a old Gamgee ,have a pint of ale and wondering whether they would allow to put up his work in the Inn...
Old 03-10-2004, 09:28 AM   #112
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
Dark-Eye

Aldor woke up with a start, having fallen asleep under the shadow of the large tree, which had now moved off from him as if it didn't care if he became blinded by the sun. He stretched and yawned and made his way back to the Inn.

Once he stepped inside it took awhile for his eyes to become adjusted to the dim light, he walked up to the counter and asked for a cold cider, which he recieved with a smile. He thought it still too early to enjoy a nice pint of ale.

His clear blue eyes scanned the room, he noticed Kiyvan and waved to him, then he noticed a girl or a women rather, he couldn't quite tell but she had a frail delicate figure and looked lonely. The young man from Rohan made his way to her and introduced himself,

"Hello Miss, my name is Aldor, may I join you, I noticed that you seemed lonely and thought I could give you some company".

He smiled politely as he waited for her to respond.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:36 AM   #113
bilbo_baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

1420!

After finding himself a room, he returned to the Common Room, sat down and had another ale. He would miss all his friends; Oin, Rosie, and Finky. Maybe he would travel to, what was that place again, oh it was on the top of his mind; ah, he would remember when he needed to go there. Siiiip!

And there was that Harold chap, drinking his own ale; mayhap he could be come acquainted. Probably not, there weren't many people as liked him. He was a loner for sure.

Already in a place like this he missed his friend, Oin. He would burst in song, something like this,... "Tip the glass and drink the ale, just forget the rain and hail!...." He stopped , because he noticed all the eyes of the Inn on him. He immediately quit singing out loud. Retreating into his ale, the Inn returned to normal.

He hoped the outburst had not disturbed the Inn's regular bussiness fares. He always srewed up something horrible in public, like this, after all, it wasn't even raining! Oh, well. Not many people liked him anyway. Siiiiip!
Old 03-10-2004, 02:30 PM   #114
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Aman

Aman smiled, her eyebrows rising, but she covered her mouth with a hand in a pretence of coughing as she felt a small laugh coming. She wouldn't like to offend him and although it wouldn't be her intention, she didn't know how he would react.

"An inventor? Gracious me, I am pleased to make your acquaintance, Ferumbras," she smiled politely. "If you will excuse me, I will find my 'cooks' - three hobbits, they are, a fine trio."

And a fine trio they were - Ruby and Buttercup had always been splendid, however gossipy, and Hawthorne had proved herself a hundred times over in the building of the Inn in the past two and a half weeks, although she had a tendency to be somewhat secretive. No doubt she'll be with her plants now, the Innkeeper thought with a smile. It seemed the hobbit lass had made it her mission to revive the garden; at least that would be something fine for Cook to come back to. Walking around the Inn to get to the side door - it was easier than going through the centre of the room, as Regin was giving his crew a few last minute instructions by the look of it - Aman made polite conversation with Ferumbras 'the inventor' as she sought Ruby and Buttercup.

"So, Mr Ferumbras - can I ask you what sort of things it is that you invent? I am curious..."
Old 03-10-2004, 03:38 PM   #115
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Led by Toby, Snaveling turned his back to the Road and faced the Inn. On the far side of the yard, Roa and Val were walking away from him, and for a moment he felt his throat constrict with the uselessness of what he was proposing to do. How can I hope that Roa will accept me? he thought. She has released me from my bondage to her, but not from my debt. How can I pay that, but with my own life?. Galadel approached he and Toby, her eyes in turmoil. Snaveling was taken aback by the sight. He had become so used to the Elf woman's solid and comforting presence - they all had - that the very idea of her being anything but calm was disturbing to him. He wondered what it was that could have so shaken her demeanor. He was sure it was not the division between himself and Roa, such things were, he was sure, far beneath the concern of one such as herself.

And yet, when she reached his side her manner was as feelingly real as Toby's had been. "Snaveling," she began, "you have done Roa a great wrong, and she is right to feel as she does. But I fear that she does not act wisely in thus rejecting you. I know not how, but your destinies are bound together in some way. You must find a way to make amends to her."

Snaveling was stunned by Galadel's intensity, almost as much as he had been by Toby's genuine concern. "You also want me to stay My Lady?" he asked wonderingly. "Knowing now what I have done, and what I am?" But even as he spoke, he knew that she had been aware of his true nature from the moment they met. And he knew also that she saw a nature in him that might - if he allowed it - come into flower and justify her opinion of him. It was almost enough to shame him. He looked at the two entirely mismatched beings who stood before him: Tobias Hornblower, gentlehobbit of the Shire, a creature dedicated to comfort and ease, his own preferment, wholly and happily unaware of and unconcerned with the world beyond his own narrow borders; and beside him, Galadel of the Eldar, a being of descent and nobility beyond the reach of Snaveling's imagination, possessed of the power to heal and to see things beyond the ken of mortal thought. What had he done to deserve their faith, their friendship? Now he did hang his head in shame. Nothing; he had done nothing to deserve their good-will, and yet they gave it to him freely. There is no grace harder to bear than grace unearned. The thought entered Snaveling's mind in his own voice, but it was as though some other power were speaking for him. He forced himself to meet Toby's and Galadel's eyes. "I do not deserve your friendship, but I will accept it. I am not worthy to offer you my friendship - not yet - so I will not offer it. But there is one thing I may do yet that will redeem me."

He set off across the yard to speak with Roa. He found her sitting at a table in the Common Room, Val at her side. As he moved toward her, the young man glared at him with a rage so intense that it was like a slap in the face. Roa saw the look in Val's eyes and rested her hand on his forearm, stilling the violent feelings that wracked the boy's frame. She looked to Snaveling. "I have forbid you to appear in my sight, Man of the South. Why do you thus tempt me to break the oath I made never to hurt you?"

Snaveling felt rather than saw Galadel and Toby enter the Inn behind him. His courage, which had been on the point of failing when he saw the fire in Roa's eyes, revived. He met Roa's gaze and spoke in as even a tone as he could. "I will not deny what I have done, nor attempt to justify it…My Lady - I would call you Roa, as you bade me to do not so long ago, but that is a right that I must earn again. You have dismissed me from your bondage, and I was prepared to leave this place and seek my fortune in the Wild once more, but these our friends," he paused, to let the word sink in somewhat, "have convinced me to stay and attempt to heal this breach." He took a deep breath. "You know that I do not acknowledge your King, nor do I overly approve of him," Roa's eyes flashed with the bitterest resentment and, for a moment, Snaveling was afraid of what might happen. Galadel stepped forward and called to Roa softly, calming her. Snaveling continued. "I know you do not like to hear this, My Lady, but you - all of you - have made an honest Man of me, so must now bear the hard burden of that truth! I do not acknowledge the right of King Elessar to rule me or my people; I do not acknowledge his claim to lordship. I do, however, admit that I owe to you a great debt, and that your King is your one true lord. I am therefore content to let him settle this matter between us. Should you ever be called back to him, and should you be willing to let me travel with you, I will stand before your King and accept whatever judgement he deems for me. What say you Roa? Will you accept these my terms, or am I to leave this place forever and seek my own way once more in the Wild?"
Old 03-10-2004, 05:40 PM   #116
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Peony looked up at smiled. "Please have a seat," she pulled out the chair for Aldor. "I would gladly welcome any company at this point, Mr...."

"My name is Aldor," he said shaking her hand.

"Aldor," She repeated, "Yes well I've been on the road weeks with my friend and it's easy to run out of things to say." Peony stopped speaking before going any further. "I am so sorry, you must think me so rude for not properly introducing myself. My name is Peony Minyatur."
Old 03-10-2004, 06:19 PM   #117
Lumiel

Hindolen toyed with the folds of her dress as Fungrim gently wiped her tears away. What did she care for a mother and father? Her mother had died, and she had no idea what fate had swallowed up her father. And why should she care? She'd made it this far alone, and she could continue if need be. But the fact was, she didn't want to. In Fungrim she had found another soul drifting and isolated, exiled from the happy world that everyone else seemed to so easily inhabit. It seemed to her that with him, they shared their own special world that no one else could touch, that could be and would always be their own. Yet he would not be her family.

Kinship, no, but friendship there was and he offered it to her freely. Leaning on the dwarf's shoulder, the sweet odor of pipeweed lingering in his clothes, Indy regained control of herself once more. Fungrim wasn't going to leave her or forget about her. He would always remember her, and as a friend. She would be remembered. She had hit upon a truth that many people stumble over only when much of their life has been done and gone; that life is not about money or things or frivolous pleasures and pains of the moment. It's about making something of yourself, of the world around you, so that when you're dead and gone, more than a silent, apethetic stone will record your former existence. She didn't understand it completely, but as the thought percolated through her quick-paced mind, her heart felt at ease. No matter what happened, someone would remember her, someone would call her "friend".

Nodding her head slowly, she spoke. "For life. Do you promise?" she asked, casting her eyes up once more to meet his. "Do you promise you won't forget me?"

Fungrim dipped his head slowly once. "How could I ever forget you?" he answered with a smile. "But will you forget me?" he asked with a serious expression.

Her brows ducked down for a moment. "I couldn't never forget you Fungrim! How could I?" she answered with her young grammar.

A small smile of mischief pulled at the corners of the dwarf's beard. "You're a young lass, with life full ahead of you. You'll find yourself a family and a home." He paused. "You'll have lots of other friends too. Boy friends..." he trailed off.

"Ewww! Boys are gross!" she retorted. Though she wore a dress and a ribbon in her hair, she was a tomboy through and through. She'd rather chase the boys and beat them up than make friends with them. And kissing? The very idea was despicable! "There ain't no boy who can out-run, out-swim, out-hide, out-smart, out-yell, out-spit, or out-wrestle me, so none of them are gonna be my friends!" she exclaimed in her childish voice. She knew that Fungrim was only teasing her, but it was true. None of the boys her age could even approach her without some apprehension, and she liked it that way. When she was older, that might change, but for now they were the enemy.

Her flighty mind flitted back to something that Fungrim had said. "What battle were you talking about Fungrim?" she asked. If this was the reason that he couldn't be her family, she wanted to know about it. Whether or not he was willing to tell her or not though, was another matter altogether.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:36 PM   #118
SonOfBombadil
Animated Skeleton

Pipe Ferumbras Whitfoot

"So, Mr Ferumbras - can I ask you what sort of things it is that you invent? I am curious..." Ferumbras came quickly with a reply as he followed Aman, looking for the three hobbits. "I mostly just invent things that I see a need for. Practical stuff that makes sense. And I also always try to keep them simple for ease of use for the customer." Ferumbras said with a grin, and continued, "Now, this one, is a sort of bin that sits above the stove, and is filled with sand. In the case of a fire, all you do, is pull a latch, and.. poof! sand comes falling down on the fire , quickly and efficiently putting it out."

Ferumbras talked with an air of pride when he spoke about this invention, he was quite proud of it. He looked to Aman's face to see if he could find a hint of interest.

Last edited by SonOfBombadil; 03-10-2004 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:41 AM   #119
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Cree

Cree watched as Avalon flew around in the air. She had always wanted to learn how to fly. She thought it would be fun to see an elf fly through the air like a bird. She let out a giggle that turned into a laugh. Everything was going better now that the inn was almost complete. The party was under way and Cree was at the happiess moment in her entire life. The grass was her pillow for watching the clouds. She no longer felt lost in the world. "Grimm, are we just going to stay here until the inn is complete or are we going to do something?" Cree was feeling tired off doing nothing. Life was too precious for her to waste it away like it was nothing. Even a life as an imortal was going to be hard.

As she sat up her hair feel down to meet her back. She was at peace now and nothing was going to take that away from her. The party was coming along good and for a change Cree was happy she was able to set there and watch the progress so far.

Last edited by Witch_Queen; 03-11-2004 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:17 AM   #120
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Harold Brandybuck

Harold had been sitting in the common room chatting with the gaffer wondering whether his work would be allowed to put up and he was waiting for Buttercup,but he could'nt see her,but he could see a young woman one of the big people he had heard her name Aman it was ,he had heard it from Buttercup.

He thought that she could help him,he had heard that she was the Innkeeper,so she could allow him to put up his work ,she was working near one of the tables cleaning the mugs,he decided to approach her," Hello my Lady ,I am Harold Brandybuck You may not have noticed me but i have been here and I have heard that you are the Innkeeper,I would like to ask you whether i was allowed to hang my carving above the fireplace,Master Regin Handhammer had asked me to make one."

Aman looked at him as if she was surprised at the endless energy he possessed for talking and then she replied...