Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2004, 08:43 PM   #561
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Five Merlocks... *grin*

I'd consider letting go of Mellonin, but she's part of the punch line... Not sure I can. But she can certainly be scarred for life.

Worse than Tharonwe? Eeek is right. It can't be Morgoth or Sauron... **ponders** Hoom hom.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:07 PM   #562
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

You guys might not like this, but I have a plan.

Worse and worse you say?

How about Aeron and Gwyllion go off by themselves when they make camp, just for some catching up. Gwyllion will tell Aeron of her dreams and how glad she is that he is still alive and all that sappy stuff.

Aeron will be shot by one of the elf's darts and maybe Gwyllion. The elf will take Gwyllion and threaten to kill her (maybe because he knows how Aeron is so attached to her?) and...he does.

LMP said for things to get worse and worse...currently Gwyllion is the youngest one in the group, no? Quite a horrid thing to happen to die so young.

Quite tragic really. I've been looking for a way for Gwyllion to die...but I haven't found one yet.

Old 10-08-2004, 09:07 PM   #563
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
I wrote up a brief little post for Liornung concerning his reactions to the disappearance of the lassies, as this would be something that would effect him deeply.

I know I don't want Leafa killed, but I have to consider just how far I'm willing to let things go with her. For some reason I seem to shrink away from the idea of any defacement, though I know with any other character I wouldn't mind too much. I must sit down a bit and try to work out why I don't want it for her and if it's a real, logical reason to forbid it from happening, or if the aversion merely stems from an attachment to her. It could just be because Helen's not object to Mellonin being scarred, and while it wouldn't be exactly unrealistic for the same thing to happen to two characters, it wouldn't give as wide a scope of emotions.

Righto... let me see now... it actually does seem that both Leafa and Mellonin could be scarred and there could still be a whole range of emotions, considering their different personalities and the way they would react to different things. Yet it seems also that with two characters running up against two different troubles, there would not only be a wide range of emotions, but a wider range of reactions to a wider range of situations.

Let me run along now and think out how I want things to go with Leafa, or at least what I'd prefer the basic to be.

EDIT: Immy, All I can say is: That really is 'worse and worse.' I'd have a difficult time reconciling myself to that... I rather liked Gwyllion.

Last edited by Nurumaiel; 10-08-2004 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Gwyllion
Old 10-08-2004, 09:34 PM   #564
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

And talk about leaving a completely wrecked Aeron.

Hoo boy!

Nuru, Tharonwe could deface one and injure another. Perhaps the kind of cut so she cannot walk, and can only ride with pain?

Or-- he could rake through her mind, and leave her stunned with what he finds, and mentally incapacitated-- either temporarily or permanently.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:44 PM   #565
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Quote:
And talk about leaving a completely wrecked Aeron.

Hoo boy!
Yes.

Has the Osanwe racking of both Aeron and the merchant happened yet? Or did that not happen?

Old 10-09-2004, 07:13 AM   #566
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Uh.... I glossed over the bit with the merchant. I'd call that one an almost but not quite; there was enough to wint he battle but no sifting. Yet.

Aeron-- not yet.

And it doesn't look like it'll happen tilBella and Argeleafa are recovered OR they have a serious breather in the meantime-- which I doubt. Once Amroth is on Tharonwe's trail, he won't quit.

But I have to think all that through!

I am unexpectedly home for the weekend-- sick as a dog, again-- and I have a to-do-list which contains the Amroth-Tharonwe confrontation. But I don't wanna rush it, or it'll be.... well, rushed. It needs percolation & inspiration. (Prayers for inspiration gratefully accepted.)

Everybody else dive in, please! Reactions, emotions, plot twists, left-fielders...

Actually, Immy, Taitheneb was "working" on both Gwyllion and Aeron during the mellee, so they have a bit of a link established-- Aeron could figure that out, and build a friendsihp with Taitheneb. So could Gwyllion. Might come in awfully handy. He's a good ally to have.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:27 AM   #567
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Whoosh!

Missed that conversation...cable went out for most of Thursday night and Friday I had a really long-lasting meet...sorry about that.

The only reason I don't want Bella dying...well, it would take me out of the game entirely, as she is my only character.

However...

I honestly think though that if anything were to happen to one of the other captured ladies, and Bellyn somehow escaped unscathed...she'd feel rather guilty. I'm also very uncertain of how she would react to just...well, being saved altogether.

Must think this through...

-Aylwen
Old 10-09-2004, 09:29 AM   #568
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

The ONLY reason, Aylwen? *glances at Nethwador*

Helen, thanks for the suggestions! I'd like her 'fate' to differ from Mellonin's enough so it isn't exactly the same, but not so different that it's blatantly unrealistic (a completely different happening for each lady, as if it had been planned for years... might be odd). I also don't want anything that might permanently hinder her abilities as a housewife... unless there's going to be a change of mind from one side or the other and there's not going to be a wedding in the future.

But I don't want to be taking too much control here...

lmp?
Old 10-09-2004, 09:59 AM   #569
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Dark-Eye The four women's fates

Thanks for the feedback and willingness to even consider (!) this.

Okay, Immy, go ahead with sending Aeron and Gwyllion out to talk. They'll have to do it in secret, or in frank disobedience of orders, because with now three women captured, everybody else will be very cautious indeed.

After that.....

one captive will die
one will be defaced
one will be injured
one will escape unscathed.

I'm not saying who, what, so that you'll have something to (ahem) look forward to.

Thanks much!
Old 10-09-2004, 10:37 AM   #570
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Quote:
one captive will die
one will be defaced
one will be injured
one will escape unscathed.
Oh boy...

Quote:
The ONLY reason, Aylwen? *glances at Nethwador*
Oops...so maybe I forgot a few really good reasons.

-Aylwen
Old 10-09-2004, 12:23 PM   #571
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Ooo, suspense! YAYNESS.

However, I need to re-read the game thread. I have no idea who the members of the other group are.

*hides from glaring looks* Yeah....well...*mumbles*, or at least all the parts with Taitheneb.

I'll try to have a post up today. Doubt it though. My Modern Mythology teacher assigned us four chapters of the Sil, On Fairy Stories, and C.S Lewis's On Myth to read in a week (the last two we have to write a journal entry to compare the two). I finished the Sil in a day, have to do the other two, and I have Geometry homework. And the worst thing is that I have to do this on Saturday and Sunday. *sniffs pathetically* Feel better soon, Helen...

Old 10-10-2004, 07:24 PM   #572
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

*Aylwen waits patiently in eager suspense*

Helen - I hope you feel better?

Also...is there anything the captives might be able to post about? I'm itching to write a post but I wonder if it might be silly to write a post about what Bella is dreaming or thinking about - if she's even doing such things at this point anyhow.

-Aylwen
Old 10-10-2004, 09:07 PM   #573
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Save filled! Imladris, if you have any changes you'd like to make on behalf of Gwyllion, just tell me.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:06 AM   #574
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Aylwen-- "Tapestry of dreams"-- yes, please do write about Bella's dreams!!! Or anything else you'd like.

Who's in charge of The Merlocks? Amroth's troop has almost caught up with Bella and her two Merlock captors.

Last edited by mark12_30; 10-11-2004 at 02:29 AM.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:11 PM   #575
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Silmaril Proposal

I'd like to propose that we set up a time to get together on YIM, to do the confrontation post between Amroth and Tharonwe. My idea is that we could actually collaborate and build the post, giving as many characters as seem appropriate, some kind of action and thoughts, all in one post. The real reason I want to do this is because I think there's going to be a lot of back and forth dialogue between Tharonwe and Amroth, and I'd rather not take 12 posts to complete one confrontational conversation!

I'm thinking that anybody who wants to be involved, could join this, and that time and day discussion should be based on GMT, if we're interested in actually doing this. What do you think?
Old 10-11-2004, 02:22 PM   #576
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Do you spose that I'd be needed?

And when are the women going to be meet their dooms? When should I do the post for Gwyll?

Old 10-11-2004, 03:20 PM   #577
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

lmp-- i love the idea.

I think as many of us who can, should be there, and jump in as needed-- this is actually a chance to do one of the old-style "Chat-Role-Playing-Games--Dialog between charactesr becomes live and real-time. While In general, the BD frowns on it, this is an exception, will be edited prior to finally posting the results, will open a crucial plot-item up to everybody's participation, and I think can make the final product superb.

ANyone that doesn't have a yahoo ID, they are (a) free, (b) Easy to get, and (c) you don't **Have** to install Yahoo Chat; there is a web-version you can use that will allow you to join in (at least I'm pretty sure about that. We can look further into it.)
Old 10-11-2004, 03:21 PM   #578
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

1420! times (after a little YIMming)

Yes, I/we want you to participate, Immy!

Immy can do it 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. GMT, but on Thursday.

I can do it 10 p.m. to 12 midnight GMT, any day this week.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:09 PM   #579
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

If I'm east coast, I add five hours to get GMT?
Old 10-11-2004, 05:21 PM   #580
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Helen, I do believe it would be -5 hours. But don't go on my word for authority! If it's +5 hours it would be awful to get on around 10 pm GMT, would it not? Those wee sma' hours.

Seeing as most are available around 10 p.m. GMT, I'll say I'm free then, too, from then to whenever it's over or I'm pressed to leave. Except Saturdays... I'm free at 10 p.m. GMT on Saturdays, but only for a little while.

But I don't have YIM. Where can I get it, or will I need to install it at all?

I don't know if I'd be absolutely necessary for the confrontation, but I want to spy on you anyway.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:32 PM   #581
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Thanks, Nuru!

If you are an owner or a member of a yahoo group, then you already have an ID.

One place for info is this:

http://messenger.yahoo.com/?i=1
and click on "New to Instant Messenger". That tells you all about the installed version.

I would use the Web Messenger instead of the installed version if I did not have a good firewall at home (I do, so I use the regular one.)

The web one is more limiting, but you can use it especially for a planned time & meeting, it should work. Go here http://messenger.yahoo.com/?i=1 , scroll down to the bottom of the page and choose "Launch Web Messenger".

You'll have to add our screen names to your buddy list. Mine is in my profile, as is immy's; I don't know about lmp.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:57 AM   #582
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Quote:
Immy can do it 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. GMT, but on Thursday.

I can do it 10 p.m. to 12 midnight GMT, any day this week.
Okay.

10PM to 2AM GMT
10 to 12 PM GMT

I went into options and set my own time to GMT. My Watch says almost eleven AM. The GMT clock says 2:52 PM, or almost 3 PM. So I add four hours to my own time to get GMT...

So I subtract four hours from GMT times to get my time...
So lmp's time is 6 to 8 Boston-time any evening
Immy is 6 to 10 Boston Thursday...
I think I can agree to that. Sounds like thursday so far?
Old 10-12-2004, 10:33 AM   #583
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Thanks, Helen! I don't think it should be too difficult to figure out. I'm not sure about our firewall... I think it's pretty good but I can't be positive.

I am realizing with humiliation that I was almost misguiding in my last post, for I misread yours! Yes, indeedy, you would at 5 hours to get GMT. I guess I was clear enough in what I was saying, however, to be saying you would take 5 hours away from GMT. It seems as though I didn't completely confuse you! Trivial, perhaps, but as a writer I hate to misread and then write something that might cause havoc.

So we'll probably be starting at about 10 p.m. GMT, on Thursday, and ending whenever we're done?
Old 10-12-2004, 02:03 PM   #584
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

It occurred to me just a few minutes ago that I'm not going to be around Thursday this week. Generally Thursdays are free for me but the little hobbit has a doctor's appointment this Thursday that directly conflicts with the times that work best for everyone here.

Hopefully it won't matter too much... I don't think I'm very necessary to the confrontation.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:19 PM   #585
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

1420!

I will figure on 10 p.m. GMT, Thursday. (6 p.m. EDT) Sorry you can't be there, Nuru. We could do it again as soon as Saturday, if necessary, or not...
Old 10-12-2004, 06:28 PM   #586
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Nuru, caring for the little hobbit certainly takes precedence! Give him a kiss for me. (Did he enjoy those songs?)
Old 10-13-2004, 02:40 PM   #587
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Pipe

I've edited my last post, adding some more plot developments to it.

Now the ball's in Herb Emblem's and Ambrose's court.

If they decide to send Tate Enid after Ędegard, one set of events will occur, which I've kind of mapped out.

If they decide not to send anybody after Ędegard, a different set of events will occur.

If everybody goes back to find Ędegard, yet another set of events will take place.

I look forward to seeing which way things go.

*rubs hands together, warming up to the plot*
Old 10-14-2004, 05:21 AM   #588
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

...my wonderful dog is very sick, struggling to breathe. I must get her to the vet today. Work is also horrendous. I will try hard to be here for the chat but if I'm not-- profuse apologies....

edit: ps. I might make it... I hope...

Last edited by mark12_30; 10-14-2004 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:12 PM   #589
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

104.5.... Wow, that's a high fever even for a dog! Poor girl! But she is better now, no temperature, and the swelling in her thoat has gone way down. Her neck is almost normal too. After anti-inflammatories and anti-biotics, my dog is home, and so am I. She is ready to play, and I am ready to chat. at 10 GMT...

God is good.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:43 PM   #590
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Pipe YIM Conference update

Hi everybody! Helen and I realized that we both have about a post in us each before the actual confrontation post, so we decided to hold off, and that it would be more fun to have more writers than just Helen and I. So, with only two days to plan, does Saturday work okay? If so, when?

And just to keep you all abreast of how things look to be going.... Helen has saved post # 509 for Amroth's decision regarding chasing after Ędegard; I've save #510 to deal with Raefindan's response to that. Anybody, please feel free to post up between now and Saturday. There are all kinds of new characters to interadt with. True, Erebemlin has ordered everyone to be quiet, but that won't stop Aeron, for example. So there can at least be curiosity, and Leafa can dream along with Bella and Mellonin.

Happy writing on this excellent rpg!

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 10-14-2004 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:18 PM   #591
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Aylwen, that was a wonderful post!! It seems to me that you are describing either Nimrodel or Mithrellas sitting against that wall of rock; is that true? If Bella is linked to Mithrellas dream-wise you could develop that with lmp (Raefindan is tied to Imrazor) OR if Bella is linked to Nimrodel, that might help explain Amroth's fondness for hearing Bella sing? Numerous possibilities. Let us know!
Old 10-14-2004, 07:14 PM   #592
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Oh, bah humbug! Saturday works as well as it could for me, if we're doing it at the same times as previously planned, but I can only be there for about an hour... it will be long enough to spy a little bit, however.

Helen, I'm so glad to hear that your dog is doing all right. I wonder if people will ever refrain from growing attached to animals? I haven't, and I don't want to! But it makes their illnesses and deaths terrible to bear.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:49 PM   #593
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

We could do a different time if it's better for you.

How is the hobbit?? I'm surprised to see you back already!
Old 10-15-2004, 10:13 AM   #594
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

I love when school is cancelled.

Quote:
Aylwen, that was a wonderful post!! It seems to me that you are describing either Nimrodel or Mithrellas sitting against that wall of rock; is that true? If Bella is linked to Mithrellas dream-wise you could develop that with lmp (Raefindan is tied to Imrazor) OR if Bella is linked to Nimrodel, that might help explain Amroth's fondness for hearing Bella sing? Numerous possibilities. Let us know!
Thank you.

I hadn't actually thought of Mithrellas, but I was thinking that she was Nimrodel when I wrote the post. I don't know why or how Bellyn would have such a link to Nimrodel, though, and I wouldn't want to overstep any boundaries there might be or ruin any plans. Though, the same dark-haired woman (Nimrodel?) has appeared in at least one more of Bellyn's rather strange dreams. I don't know why I keep going back to that. If this doesn't fit or won't fit, I could change it a bit and just pretend it was Bellyn's mother, or somethign to that extent. As of now, though, I would say it is Nimrodel, if no one else...

Oh, what a tangled web we weave.

What do you think? I don't want to ruin anything.

-Aylwen
Old 10-15-2004, 11:41 AM   #595
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Oh, it ruins nothing! On the contrary, it adds a richness and diversity to the tapestry....

People connected with Nimrodel via dream and/ or Osanwe:

Tharonwe
Amroth
Bella
Mellonin
...there may be more?

People connected with Amroth via Osanwe:
Erebemlin
Taitheneb
Nethwador
In a combative/ eveasive/ eslusive way, Tharonwe

Connected to Imrazor:
Raefindan

Connected to Mithrellas:
Sometimes Mellonin

Who else has been involved dream-wise? I KNOW I'm forgetting someone but I can't place it. Gwyll?
Old 10-15-2004, 02:09 PM   #596
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

No, not Gwyll, though she has had nightmares. Do you want Gwyll to be connected with Mithrellas?

Old 10-15-2004, 02:23 PM   #597
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Generally speaking, the more connections-- enven if it's just a thread-- the more the story weaves together. Gwyll's connection can be simple, tying her nightmares together with something Mithrellas has experienced. THen when it is related to Raefindan, it';l give Raefindan a clue about what's been going on with Mithrellas-- even better if its a clue for finding her.

She'd tell Aeron about it, I suppose? Otherwise, I don't know if anyone else would find out.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:38 PM   #598
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Yes, she would tell Aeron.

What would she dream about Mithrellas?

Old 10-16-2004, 08:21 AM   #599
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Pipe

Grrrr! My dial-up was verrry uncooperative last night. One of these years I'll convince my better half that the switch is worth it. Anyway, I assume that we're all thinking of YIMming today at 6 pm eastern daylight (10 GMT, 3 pm PDT). I'm find with that if you want to start that late, but those times were really for weekday considerations. We could start a little earlier too, for Nuru's sake. I can be on at 5 pm, if others want to do that. I'll be on until noon EDT today, and then not until 5. The plot continues to twist ... (in the wind?) :P
Old 10-16-2004, 08:55 AM   #600
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

I'm good with 5 EDT especially if Nuru can join us!