The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-30-2003, 07:07 PM   #41
harlindon
Animated Skeleton

harlindon has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

There are sooo many very good lines from the books and the movies. some are very funny and some are sooo sad. From the books:

"Here is the heart of Elvendom on earth," he said, "and here my heart dwells ever, unless there be a light beyond the dark roads that we still must tread, you and I. Come with me!" And taking Frodo's hand in his, he left the hill of Cerin Amroth and came there never agin as living man. <---- this is soo sad to me.

"It is the job that's never started as takes the longest to finish" <--- Sam

We don't want to go that way! The Withywindel valley is said to be the queerest part of the whole wood-the center from which all the queerness cames, as it were. <--- Merry

"A plage on Dwarves and thier stiff necks!" said Legolas. .... "a plague on the stiff necks of Elves!" said Aragorn

Gollum:
Those thieves! Those filthy little thieves! Wheeere isssit? Wheeere isssit? They stole it from us. My preciousssss.

Legolas:
A red sun rises. Blood has been spilled this night.

Merry: Pippin:
Pippin! Merry!

Pippin:
It's talking Merry. The tree is talking.
Treebeard:
Tree? I am no tree! I am an Ent.
Merry:
Treeherder! Shepherd of the forest.
Pippin:
Don't talk to it Merry. Don't encourage it.

Sméagol:
Argh!! Whats he doing! Stupid fat hobbit. You ruins it!

Sam:
Whats to ruin? There's hardly any meat on them. What we need it a few good taters.

Sméagol:
What's taters? Preciousss, what's taters? Huh?

Sam:
Po-ta-toes!! Boil them, mash them, stick them in a stew. Lovely big golden chips with a nice piece of fried fish.
Sméagol:
Phooh!
Sam:
Even you couldn't say no to that.
Sméagol:
Oh yes we could. Ssspoiling nice fish! Give it to ussss raw. and wwwriggling. You keep nasty chips!
Sam:
You're hopeless.

Gimli:
It's true you don't see many dwarf women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, they are often mistaken for dwarf men.
Aragorn:
It's the beards.
Gimli:
And this in turn has given rise to the belief that there are no dwarf women. And the dwarves just, spring out of holes in the ground! Which is of course ridiculous. Whoa! [Gimli falls from his horse.] It's alright! It's alright. Nobody panic. That was deliberate. It was deliberate.

Aragorn:
Minlû pedich nin, i aur hen telitha. Translation: "You told me once, this day would come."
Arwen:
Ú i vethed...nâ i onnad. Boe bedich go Frodo. Han bâd lîn.
Translation: "This is not the end. It is the beginning. You must go with Frodo. That is your path."
Aragorn:
Dolen i vâd o nin.
Translation: "My path is hidden from me." Arwen:
Si peliannen i vâd na dail lîn. Si boe ú-dhannathach.
Translation: "It is already laid before your feet, you cannot falter now."

Gimli:
Argh! Stinking creature!"

Gimli:
Where is he! Where is he! Get out of my way! I'm gonna kill him! You are the the luckiest, the cunningest, and most reckless man I ever knew! Bless you, laddie!

Legolas:
Le ab-dollen. [Translation: "You’re late."] You look terrible.
Aragorn:
Hannon le. [Translation: "Thank you."]

Legolas:
Aragorn, nedin dagor hen ú-'erir otheri. Natha daged dhaer. [Translation: "They cannot win this fight. They are all going to die!"] Aragorn:
Then I shall die as one them!

Legolas:
We have trusted you this far and you have not led us astray. Forgive me. I was wrong to despair.
Aragorn:
Ú-moe edhored, Legolas. [Translation: "There is nothing to forgive, Legolas."]

Gimli:
What’s happening out there?
Legolas:
Shall I describe it to you? Or would you like me to find you a box?<----- DUH!

Gimli:
Legolas, two already!
Legolas:
I’m on seventeen!
Gimli:
Arg! I’ll have no pointy-ear outscoring me! Legolas:
Nineteen!

Gimli:
Come on. We can take them!
Aragorn:
It’s a long way.
Gimli:
Toss me.
Aragorn:
What?
Gimli:
I cannot jump the distance so you have to toss me. Ehh.. Don’t tell the elf.
Aragorn:
Not a word.

Sam:
It’s me. It’s your Sam. Don’t you know your Sam?

Yeah ok taht is enough!! sorry people it easy to get carries away!(cant blieve I put so many arggg!) agin i am sorry [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2003, 10:14 PM   #42
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Ring

'You?' cried Frodo.
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
Old 02-01-2003, 09:50 AM   #43
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

I'm not sure about how complete this line is, but it reminds me of Les Miserables:

Quote:
Let this be the hour that we draw our swords together! -Theoden
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 10:16 AM   #44
iclecherry

1420!

I like it in the first movie at the prancing pony when merry says ' It's a pint" then Pippin says "It comes in pints" and runs to get one. I also had many laughs immitating Gandalfs "You shall not pass" [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-01-2003, 10:31 AM   #45
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

theres too many quotes for me to even think of! here's a few from the to of my head, not necessarily my favourites

elendil- in this place will i abide and my heirs until the worlds end

gandalf: you shall not pass. i wield the secret flame of arda. (and the rest which ive forgotten)

feanor- see this? it is sharper than thy tongue!

fingolfin- half brother in blood, full brother in heart shall i be. thou shalt lead and i will follow ( i love that 1)

i like the bit when saruman dies- and a pale mist rose from him, and lingered for a while, looking to the west. but from the west came a cold hard wind.

the ents war song

argh! theres way 2 many!

all the songs, such as gil galad was an elven king, a elbereth gilthoniel, 3 rings, all that is gold does not glitter, song of the ent and the entwife, old tom bombadil... basically all the songs

gandalf- fool of a took!

gimli- an elf goes into a cave and a adwarf dares not!

iluvatur to aule- i shall grant them life. but oft there shall be strife between mine and thine

those are just from memory, and i still have more you are sooo lucky i dont have the lord of the rings and silmarillion in front of me!

the line i like least is in the hobbit, when it keeps repeating- bilbo thought of his home. he wanted to be back there. not for the last time! its just so childish!
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 10:01 PM   #46
Helín Anyára
Pile O'Bones

Helín Anyára has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Wow, I thought of starting a page like this, because I love quotes, but I'm glad I did a search first. Most of my favorites, that I can think of off the top of my head, have been used already. There is very little I could add without some serious perusal of the books! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Aragorn~
"Yet with your hope I will hope, and the shadow I utterly reject."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And though I oft have passed them by
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun.
~Frodo
Old 08-21-2003, 08:28 AM   #47
Naurwen_of_Lothlorien
Haunting Spirit

Naurwen_of_Lothlorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Naurwen_of_Lothlorien
Sting

Here are a few lines from the movie that moved in some way, be it to tears or laughs...

Quote:
It’s like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were.
And sometimes you didn’t want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy. How could the world go back to
the way it was when so much bad had happened...But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come.
And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something. Even if you were too small to understand why.
But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back only they didn’t.
Because they were holding on to something.
I cried when Sam said that...I just cried right there in the cinema...
Especially when he says

"Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something. Even if you were too small to understand why."

I don't know why but that line always moves me to tears. Every time. Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Another scene that made me cry (Gosh, I cry a lot) was this:

Quote:
It’s me. It’s your Sam...Don’t you know your Sam?
Quote:
I wonder if people will ever say, ‘let’s hear about Frodo and the Ring.’ And they’ll say ‘yes, that’s
one of my favorite stories. Frodo was really courageous, wasn’t he, dad.’ ‘yes, my boy, the most famousest of hobbits.
And that’s saying alot!
Quote:
You left out one of the cheif characters. Samwise, the Brave. I want to hear more about Sam.

[Frodo stops to look at Sam]

Frodo wouldn’t have got far without Sam
I just love most of the lines between Sam and Frodo. Their friendship is so beautiful, its extremely moving.

Also, Boromir's death scene in FotR was quite emotional. Sean Bean played Boromir wonderfully. Boromir is a complex character and I think Sean was perfect for the role.

But now some lines that made me laugh.

Quote:
Hmmm....doesn't make sense to me...but then, you are very small...
Made me giggle. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

And when Gimli belched at Edoras in the middle of a serious discussion. Just seemed highly amusing to me.

Well, must run,

Yours movedly

~Naurwen
Naurwen_of_Lothlorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 02:29 PM   #48
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

Wow. That's a good question...

Bookwise I actually have no preference. Tolkien's writing never ceases to amaze me.

In the movies... you guys already put all the good ones, thanks. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] It's nearly everything the Fellowship says. Especially Aragorn, Sam, and Gandalf. I really liked Sam's speech at the end of TTT.

Um... The lines about the "pint" were also great.
Does anyone else get a kick outta the way Merry says "Hello, Frodo!" when they first meet in Farmer Maggot's field? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Frodo Lives! Revive the slogan!

First Annual Golden Ring Marathon! October 20th 2005! Spread the word!

[ August 21, 2003: Message edited by: Arwen Eruantale ]

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 04:24 PM   #49
Naurwen_of_Lothlorien
Haunting Spirit

Naurwen_of_Lothlorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Naurwen_of_Lothlorien
Sting

Oh yes! When Merry says "Hello Frodo" It makes me smile too [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Them lovable hobbits! I love them all!

But yes, I do love the way he says that. Such a simple line, but it always makes me smile. Glad I'm not alone on that.

Yours gladly

~Naurwen
Naurwen_of_Lothlorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 07:59 PM   #50
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Oh, man...such a tough one.

I like a lot of the lines from the movie that reffered to the books...just 'cause Jackson took the time to reffer to the books.

Sir Ian M (Gandalf) "Oh, a long expected party."

Same guy: "Riddles in the dark."

One of the first lines that made me bust out laughing (and also cleverly connected to the book): Billy Boyd (Pip) "It's a shortcut to mushrooms! "

I will continue later, as listing EVERY line I liked from either movie or book would make far too long a post. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 07:35 PM   #51
Amaris Ethne
Animated Skeleton

Amaris Ethne has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amaris Ethne
1420!

No one mentioned the Drinking Song!!!

Hi-Ho to the bottle I go
To heal my heart and drown my woe
Rain may fall and wind may blow
But there'll still be
Many miles to go!

Sweet is the sound of the pourin' rain
And the stream that falls from hill to plain
Better than rain or a ripplin' brook
IS A MUG OF BEER INSIDE THIS TOOK!
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

K...now that song's stuck in me head... I also like the line where Gandalf isn't able to open the doors to Moria and Pippin says "Nothin's happenin." Then Gandalf's reply about thrashing Pippin's head against it or something like that. Also in the extended edition, if u listen to the cast commetary a lot of parts are funny:

Orlando Bloom's odd obsession with those little hobbit kids.

When Sean says that he knew that Dom didn't like him after the scne where Merry runs into Sam in Farmer Maggot's corn field

The idea that Pippin and Merry were the Elf's "sugar daddys" as he Billy put it, and that they had impregnated a bunch of them

"That sound you hear is acutally Billy screaming like a little girl"--refering to the scene where Merry and Pippin steal one of Gandalf's fireworks.

That's all for now.
Amaris Ethne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 07:40 PM   #52
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I can tell you my least favorite line in the movie. At the end, when Aragorn says "Let's hunt some orc." It sounded far too Hollywood, and it would never be a line you would come across in the books.

My absolute favorite lines are in the Shire, when Gandalf is explaining the history and evil of the Ring to Frodo:

"He needs only this Ring, to cover all the lands of a second Darkness. He is seeking it, seeking it, all his thought is bent on it. They are one; the Ring, and the Dark Lord."

That was always particularly moving.

Cheers!
-Angmar
Old 08-23-2003, 07:45 PM   #53
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Movie:
Faramir: "And who are you? His body guard?"
Sam: "I'm his gardener!" LOL--I love the way he says that....

Aragorn: "Sam, do you know Athleas?"
Sam: "Athleas?"
Aragorn: "Kingsfoil."
Sam: (practically horrified) "Kingsfoil, that's a WEED!" [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

LOL...ask a gardener.... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 08-23-2003, 08:31 PM   #54
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Welcome to the Downs, Amaris Ethne! Enjoy being dead! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Quote:
listen to the cast commetary a lot of parts are funny
I feel really dumb asking this, but can anyone tell me how to find/activate the commentary on the DVD?

I have tried and looked and everything, but I can't find it on mine. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Frodo Lives! Revive the slogan!

[ August 23, 2003: Message edited by: Arwen Eruantale ]

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-24-2003, 08:36 AM   #55
Amaris Ethne
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Arwen Eruantale, here's what you do, it's very simple.First you need the first disk. In the menu, you know where it has the choices of "pick a scene" and "special features" choose special features. There will be a list of commetarys; direcotr, special effects and cast. Select the cast, then it will take you to another screen of all the cast members who have done the commetary (Viggo isn't on it [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] ) There will be to choices; return to main or play with commetary. Choose play with commetary. The movie will start from the begining and the first person you should hear is Ian welcoming you. When you put in the second disk and hit play you'll have the choices of continue playing with commitary, continuing playing or go back to menu. Again, Ian will be the first to welcome you after Elija (I think it's him) makes this funny little trumpet sound.

Hope that helps. The commetary is *great*!

Enjoy!
Old 08-24-2003, 11:19 AM   #56
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Thanks, Amaris! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I'll go try it as soon as I get a minute...

Frodo Lives!

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-24-2003, 02:27 PM   #57
Amaris Ethne
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Okay, here are more of my favs, I'm going to try to *not* type out the whole dang book here...

One of my favourite Gandalf ones is one that this site has often (which I'm very overly happy about):

Saruman, Saruman!
Saruman, you missed your path in life. You should have been the king's jester and earned your bread, and stripes too, by mimicking his counsellors. Ah me!" [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Sam: I ain't been droppin' no eves, sir, honest. (I can't decide if I like this one better than the book one or not)

Gimli: Here's one Dwarf she won't snare so easily. I have the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a...oh.

Legolas: Would that this night would end, and I could have better light for shooting."
(I said this one day as my fiancee and I were going hunting...he thought I was nuts.)

Gandalf: Despair or folly? It is not despair, for despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt. We do not. It is wisdom to recognize necessity, when all other courses have been weighed, though as folly it may appear to those who cling to false hope.

There are lots more, but I'll stop there.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:30 PM   #58
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Sting

I really love the end and the beginning from The Hobbit and the end of LotR:

Quote:
In a hole in the ground lived a hobbit. Not a nasty hole, wet hole filled with the end of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.
Quote:
Of course! And why should not they prove true? Surely ou don't disbelieve the prophecies, because you had a hand in bringing them about yourself? You don't really suppose, do you, that all your adventures and escapes were managed by mere luck, just for your sole benefit? You are a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!
Quote:
At last the three companions turned away, and never again looking back rode slowly homewards; and they spoke no word to one another until they came to the Shire, but each had great comfort in his friends on the long grey road.

At last they rode over the downs and took the East Road, and then Merry and Pippin rode on to Buckland; and already they were singing again as they went. But Sam turned to Bywater, and so came back up to the Hill, as day was ending once more. And he went on, and there was yellow light, and fire within; and the evening meal was ready, and he was expected. And Rose drew him in, and set him in his chair, and put little Elanor upon his lap.

He drew a deep breath. 'Well, I'm back," he said.
This one is so bitter-sweet and always makes me cry on the inside everytime I read it.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:48 PM   #59
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Quote:
Another scene that made me cry (Gosh, I cry a lot)
You're certainly not the only one. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
I just love most of the lines between Sam and Frodo. Their friendship is so beautiful, its extremely moving.
I whole heartedly agree.

Sam:"This is it."
Frodo:"This is what?"
Sam:"If I take another step, it'll be the furthest away from home that I've ever been."
Frodo:*Smiling, turning back and taking Sam by the arm* "Come on, Sam." (as if to say, "It'll be all right, I won't leave you.") and then a little later, in the cornfield, when Sam "loses" Frodo:

Sam: *Panicked* "Mr. Frodo!?"
Frodo: *Appearing behind him, says reassuringly* "I'm right here, Sam. "
*Look of relief on Sam's face...* [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]

I felt that, despite the fact that Sam was supposed to be the "servant", Frodo (being fifteen years Sam's senior, after all) kind of felt responsible for him--like mom was away on a long trip and he was left to take care of the little brother, if that makes any sense. I know this didn't happen, but I can almost hear Frodo saying before they left:

"Don't worry, Mrs. Gamgee, the lad's in good hands--I won't let anything happen to him, I swear..." [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2003, 06:05 PM   #60
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I can only pick one? [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Hmmmmmm... Can I say fav from each book each movie? *yes* Okay good.
FotR book:
(flaps through book and finds the first fav she comes to) Gandalf: "You are not to talk or worry about anything today, by Elrond's orders." (gigle giggle, so cute, I'm glad Tolkien thought to enclude something like that)
TTT book:
"Here is the strangest riddle we have yet found!" exclaimed Legolas. "A bound prisoner escapes both from the Orcs and from the surrounding horsemen. He then stops, while still in the open, cuts his bounds with an orc-knife. But how and why? For if his legs were tied, how did he walk? And if his arms were tied, how did he use the knife? And if niether were tied, why did he cut the cords at all? Being pleased with his skill, he then sat down and quietly ate some waybread! That at least is enough to show that he was a hobbit, without the mallorn-leaf. After that, I suppose, he turned his arms into wings and flew away singing into the tress. it should be easy to find him: We only need wings ourselves!" Gotta love it. Lego would die if he had to be a Ranger.
But then there's also that part when one of Faramir's merry men mistakes Frodo and Sam for elves:
Faramir: "Nay not elves. Elves do not walk in Ithilien in these days. And Elves are wonderous fair to look upon, or so 'tis said."
Sam: "Meaning we're not I take you. Thank you kindly."
RotK:
(technically, I haven't read it yet, but I do konw this one part [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Eowyn: "But no living man am I. You look upon a woman. Eowyn am I, Eomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Be gone if you be not deathless, for either living or dark undead, I will smite you if you touch him." oh yeah! Eowyn rocks!
Movies:
FotR:
Boromir trying to take the ring from Frodo and then him screaming after Frodo runs away, and also he realizes what he's done. Sean Bean really is a great actor.
TTT:
Aragorn: What do fear my lady?
Eowyn: A cage. Having to hide behind bars until use and old age accept them. And all hope of valor has gone beyond recall or desire. (so cool!)
But then Aragorn's next line kinda ruins it. "Shield madien of Rohan"? Where in Middle Earth did that come from?!
I don't think I got Eowyn's line right. It is at least one of my favs. I REALLY what to learn it. Where can I find the scripit on-line?
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 06:26 PM   #61
BlingBlingtheWarriorElf
Newly Deceased

BlingBlingtheWarriorElf has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

My Favorite is at the council of Elrond.

Quote:
You need people of inteligence on this sort of mission, quest, thing.
Pippen is so clueless
Old 08-29-2003, 08:23 AM   #62
Daewen
Wight

Location: Stuck inside an Aquafina bottle...HELP! ...seriously, I'm getting claustrophobic
Daewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daewen
Sting

Hmm...wow good question. My favorite line...I have so many!

BOOK:

Ho, Tom Bombadil, Tom Bombadillo. Bright blue his good old jacket is, and his boots are yellow. Old Tom Bombadil, water lillies bringing, comes hopping home again, can you hear him singing?

Farewell Eowyn sister-daughter! (c'mon, sister-daughter? am i the only one who found that funny?)

Ai! Ai! A balrog! A balrog has come!

I can see, and hear, and smell, and feel, from this, from this, from thisa-lalla-lalla-rumba-kamanda-lind-or-burume

Now that's an Oliphant if I've ever seen one. My old gaffer will never believe this.

Bless us and splash us my preciousss!

You have nice manners for a liar and a theif

MOVIE

Bilbo, have you been at the gaffers old brew?

We've had one, yes, but what about second breakfast?

Oh well that's nice! Ash on my tomatos!

It comes in pints? I'm getting one!

Of course you are! And I'm coming with you!

Fangorn! What madness drove them in there? (hm...how about the madness of the battle that was going on behind them Gimli?)

You would die before your stroke fell!

Little orcs, barrarum

Don't talk to it Merry. Don't encourage it!

Oh...well that's good news!

You don't have any friends! Nobody likes you!

You're late. You look terrible.

Shall I describe it to you? Or would you like me to find you a box?

I cannot jump the distance you'll have to toss me!

PO-TA-TOS

What's it doing!? Stupid fat hobbit!
Daewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 04:06 PM   #63
Angadraug
Animated Skeleton

Angadraug has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Boromir's Lady wrote it all already so I won't write it again but that speech between Frodo and Sam near the end of TTT is great.
Angadraug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 06:42 PM   #64
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Unfair question!!! This is so unfair because there are so many great quotes from both book and movie!!! Of course, I don't really remember the books so well because I haven't read them in a while, but here are the movies:

Quote:
Legolas: Forgive me, Aragorn. I was wrong to despair. You have led us this far and have not led us astray. Aragorn: There is nothing to forgive.
Pippin: Maybe Treebeard is right. Maybe we should go home. Merry: But the fires of Isengard will spread...something, something, something.

Everything with Gollum

Quote:
... stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread.
Quote:
I made a promise, Mr. Frodo: "Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee" and I don't mean to...I don't mean to.
Quote:
I would have followed you my brother, my captian, my king.
And there are many more.

Books:

When Pippin is talking with Frodo, Sam, etc after the counsil of Elrond and he says that instead of throwing Sam into chains, instead he goes and rewards him for his cheek!

That's really the only one I can remember but there are so many others. Yes, I know I am repeating myself.

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 11:14 PM   #65
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield

I gotta hurry and jot down a few before I'm kicked offline by my mom. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Quote:
In Western lands beneath the Sun
the flowers may rise in Spring,
the trees may bud, the waters run,
the merry finches sing.
Or there maybe 'tis cloudless night and swaying beeches bear
the Elven-stars as jewels white
amid their branching hair.

Though here at journey's end I lie
in darkness buried deep,
beyond all towers strong and high,
beyond all mountains steep,
above all shadows rides the Sun
and Stars forever dwell:
I will not say the Day is done,
nor bid the Stars farewell.
-Sam
Quote:
Though Isengard be strong and hard, as cold as stone and bare as bone,
We go, we go, we go to war, to hew the stone and break the door!
-The Ents
Quote:
Of all the confounded nuisances you are the worst, Sam!
-Frodo
Quote:
You fool, he isn't dead, and your heart knew it. Don't trust your head, Samwise, it is not the best part of you.
-Sam
Quote:
I am glad you're with me. Here at the end of all things, Sam.
-Frodo
And, of course:

Quote:
Well, I'm back.
-Sam
I'll think of more later. All of the above were from the book btw. Can you tell who my favorite characters are yet? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
arianrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 08:05 PM   #66
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

I just read a good one that made me laugh a bit in Fellowship.

Quote:
"Well, I have a rather rascally look, do I not?" said Strider with a curl of his lip and a queer gleam in his eye.
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Will you pay attention?
Old 09-02-2003, 11:37 PM   #67
Pherdacilion the Elf

My favorite line comes from the movies. Frodo is saying how Bagginses used to be respected and didn't go on any adventures. To this Gandalf says:
"If you're refering to the incident with the dragon, I was barely involved. All I did was give your uncle a little nudge out the door."

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2003, 04:59 PM   #68
Fedaeglin
Pile O'Bones

Fedaeglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
I would cut off your head, Master Dwarf, if it stood but a little higher from the ground.
Quote:
Should I describe it to you, or would you like me to find you a box?
Quote:
You're gonna have to toss me. . . . Don't tell the elf.

When Gimli and Aragorn are sneaking up on the huge army of uruks. . .
Quote:
Come on. We can take 'em!
I just love the way he says it [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] LOL

Quote:
I will not risk open war.
Quote:
Open war is upon you, whether you would risk it or not.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:38 AM   #69
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I love these..

"They have a cave troll"- Boromir, (yes he does say it good)

"Not idly do the leaves of lorien fall" -Aragorn.

"Shall i describe it for you, or would you like me ot get a box" - Legolas.

"Why do you lay these troubles on an already troubled mind?" -Grima. ( I always shiver every time Grima speaks, hes just CREEPY!)

"Nasty, triksey, false!" Gollum.

"Too long have you watched my sister, too long have you haunted her steps!" Éomer.

"Dont talk to it Merry! DOnt encourage it!" - Pippin (this is the best one though)

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 01:36 PM   #70
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It's a v.long quote, so I shan't write it down, but the speech Theoden gives and then the description of the Ride of the Rohirrim in the chapter of the same name is awesome. actually makes me cry. Also:'And thus came Aragorn, son of Arathorn...'. Or how bout one of the most moving lines I've ever read when Sam says to Galadriel: '...as if struggling with tears. "No, I'll go hame the long road with Mr Frodo or not at all..."' Amazing.
Film is just a goldmine! 'One does not simply walk into Mordor. More than orcs guard its Black Gates, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. There is evil there that does not sleep. Tis a barren wasteland riddled with fire and ash and dust, and the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand men could you do this. It is folly.' Or maybe: 'The nine have left Minas Morgul. They crossed the River Isen on midsummer's eve, disguised as riders in black. They will find The Ring, and kill the one who bears it.' 'Did you seriously believe a hobbit could contend with the will of Sauron? There are none who can.' '"It would be wise, my friend." "Tell me, *friend*, when did Saruman the Wise abandon reason for madness!?"' '"No, Sam. I'm going to Mordor alone!" "Course you are, and I'm coming with you!"' So many more. '"How many are there?" "Ten thousand strong." "Let them come."' '"I will not lead my people to open war." "Open war is upon you." "When last I checked I was King of this Hall." "BUUUURP!!!"' "WRAITHS! WRAITHS ON WINGS!" '"I don't think Gandalf meant for us to come this way." "Gandalf didn't mean for a lot of things to happen, Sam."' 'The tree's talking, Merry.' 'Don't talk back, you'll only encourage it!' I'll leave it at that. Man, I love this kinda stuff! Hehe!
Old 09-19-2003, 02:12 PM   #71
Airerûthiel
Wight

Airerûthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have loads of lines I love! The poem that Théoden quotes before the battle of Helm's Deep is an excellent quote:

"Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing? Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing? Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing? They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow; The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow."

I also really like Éowyn's reply to "What do you fear, my lady?" in RotK (book)/TTT (movie), and Gandalf's quote from the movie: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Very deep.

For comedy value, the scenes with Legolas and Gimli at Helm's Deep in the TTT film (and the orc-killing contest in the book) and also "You have to throw me"..."Don't tell the elf" are the best. Pippin's movie lines are quite funny as well: "You need people of intelligence on this sort of mission...quest...thing."

But my absolute favourite quote has to be from Frodo and Sam sailing up the Anduin:

Frodo: "Go back, Sam! I'm going to Mordor alone."
Sam: "Course you are. And I'm coming with you!"

I think that's a very Sam sort of thing to say (if that makes sense).
Old 09-19-2003, 02:22 PM   #72
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dûm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
Welcome to the Downs, SamwiseGamgee! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Many of my favorites have already been said here, but another one (from the movie) that always has me cracking up is Pippin saying:
Quote:
Let's get another one!
For some more serious quotes, one of my favorites is Aragorn's line in Rivendell -
Quote:
The same blood runs in my veins. The same weakness.
And of course there are many more...far too many to list here. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ September 19, 2003: Message edited by: Goldberry ]
Old 09-19-2003, 04:26 PM   #73
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Quote:
The same blood runs in my veins. The same weakness.
Ah. I had forgotten about that one. Definitely one of my favourites.

Will you pay attention?
Old 09-19-2003, 05:15 PM   #74
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

My all-time favorite:

Eomer: ROHIRRIM!!!!! TO THE KING!!!!

(I bawled like a baby when he said that, because it seemed like I could feel every emotion passing through him, and the realization that he would do anything to cut his way to his uncle and king to save him.)

Other favorites:

Gollum: Stupid, fat Hobbit!!!!

Sam: I know. It’s all wrong. By rights we shouldn’t even be here. But we are. It’s like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn’t want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened.
But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.
Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something. Even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back only they didn’t. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.
That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.

(That was another scene where I cried, because it is so rare to find such love in this world, or in any other world for that matter.)

Legolas: Or too few. Look at them. They’re frightened. I can see it in their eyes.
Boe a hyn: neled herain... dan caer menig!?
Aragorn, nedin dagor hen ú-'erir ortheri. Natha daged dhaer.

(It made me think of Legolas as a spoiled Elf brat for some reason.)

Legolas: Le abdolen. *looks Aragorn up and down* You look terrible!

(So does this one.)
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 07:20 PM   #75
Mooncalf
Pile O'Bones

Mooncalf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This part always makes me want to cry... it's from the chapter "The Tower of Cirith Ungol" in ROTK.

Quote:
"Frodo! Frodo, my dear!" cried Sam, tears almost blinding him. "It's Sam, I've come!" He half lifted his master and hugged him to his breast. Frodo opened his eyes.

"Am I still dreaming?" he muttered. "But the other dreams were horrible."

"You're not dreaming at all, Master," said Sam. "It's real. It's me. I've come."

"I can hardly believe it," said Frodo, clutching him. "There was an orc with a whip, and then it turns into Sam! Then I wasn't dreaming after all when I heard that singing down below, and I tried to answer? Was it you?"

"It was indeed, Mr. Frodo. I'd given up hope, almost. I couldn't find you."

"Well, you have now, Sam, dear Sam," said Frodo, and he lay back in Sam's gentle arms, closing his eyes, like a child at rest when night-fears are driven away by some loved voice or hand.
::sniff::

Although it's scenes like these that make me really afraid to read LOTR fanfics... Think of all the slash possibilities...
Old 09-19-2003, 09:18 PM   #76
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Mae Govannen! Welcome to the Downs, Mooncalf! An interesting name, it has a nice ring to it, if I do say so myself. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

*kicks self nice and hard* I had almost forgotten about that scene in RotK... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I didn't cry, but I absolutely loved all of those lines. I sort of sat for a minute after I read them, just seeing that, both terrible and wonderful all at the same time, over and over again... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Will you pay attention?
Old 09-19-2003, 10:26 PM   #77
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Thumbs up

Ohh.. you've picked a difficult topic for me.....

well, i will go with one of my most favorite line from the two towers...

it's were gollum is sitting next to sam, and it's apparent that sam desided to "cook" the cronnies i.e. rabbits and gollum is crying over it. Then sam gose on about potatos and cooking fish which he calls chips. Then he makes the remark that gollum would even like that. Ok here it is my favorite: Gollum then screws up his face and says "We don't likes your chips!"

out of all my family members who were watching this i was laughing the hardest... and i don't really know why.hmm. you can deside why... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

When you do things right, people won't be sure that you've done anything at all...
- Futurama
Gravedigger, won't you dig my grave?
Make it shallow,so that i can feel the rain...
-Dave Matthews
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 10:55 PM   #78
Engwaromenion

Shield

my fav line is
Quote:
Not all who wander are lost
Gandalf lotr-fotr
Old 09-20-2003, 01:47 AM   #79
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

I'd prefer not to, thanks. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Let's see...favorite line from a movie...

*gasp* "Mr. Frodo--it's an Oliphaunt!"

Just the childlike "Wowness" of that scene...if that makes any sense....
Old 09-25-2003, 10:34 PM   #80
Noldorin King
Animated Skeleton

Noldorin King has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Finduilas to Gwindor:'I have pity for your hurts, have pity on mine. Turin loves me not nor will'
-Unfinished Tales
words of love unreturned is grieving...here's another (not a romantic one)
Curufin to Eol:'Those who steal the Daughters of the Noldor without gift or love do not gain kinship with them'
-Silmarillion
Noldorin King is offline   Reply With Quote