The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-29-2007, 09:53 AM   #1
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Desert Island Dwarves

So there you are, cast adrift on a sandy shore miles from anywhere, surrounded by the shark infested waters of the Great Sea. This is now your life and you must make the best of it.

You are allowed a little light relief though. And before you are to be cast from the back of Gwaihir, you have choices to make...

You can take three companions (as opposed to eight songs ). You may take One Downer and Two Tolkien characters, OR you may take Three Tolkien characters. You must justify your choices. Think about how useful they will be to your survival and if your sanity can stand being a lifelong companion of these three coves. Maybe you want to populate the island? In which case choose someone you don't mind doing that with. Or maybe you just want to laugh out the rest of your days? It's up to you.

You will be given a box containing the obligatory copy of Shakespeare's Collected Works, a Bible, and in my version of the game, a complete set of Tolkien's work. However there will be room in this box for one other thing - an object from Arda's long and illustrious history. It could be a sword, a magical Elven object, or something made by Sauron. It could even be something botanical or something made by Hobbits. The only thing you cannot take is a boat. What will it be? Can you justify your choice?

So what will it be?

Which three people are you taking to your lifelong rum-fest?
What object are you going to cart off?

With thanks to Desert Island Discs
Old 03-29-2007, 10:12 AM   #2
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
There are a couple of different sets that occur to me. Assuming that my lovely wife of nearly 23 years isn't invited, or that I'm single...

Set 1, along the traditional lines:
Yavanna -- there would never be a problem growing food.
Samwise -- Good comradeship and storytelling, aside from the fact that he's an excellent cook.
Arwen -- For the "other" kind of companionship.
And a Palantir, hopefully one with a wireless-internet connection.

Set 2 requires only one person and one object:
Cirdan the Shipwright -- for obvious reasons
The Party Tree from FotR -- Cirdan can't be expected to make the boat out of nothing...
Old 03-29-2007, 02:09 PM   #3
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Firstly, great thread Lalwende, I bow before thee!

Secondly...this is a tough decision
I think I'd take:

Set 1
If I really made a serious decision:
1. Ulmo, because as Lord of the Seas he could get rid of the sharks, I could at least get a bath that way
2. Yavanna to make some food as Thenamir already said
3. Probably Luthien, don't ask why

If it wouldn't be so serious
1. Legate, because that way I could spend my time talking about lore
2. Tom Bombadil to sing songs with
3. Rosie Cotton to bring us ale

Set 2
Probably Ulmo's horn so that I can annoy him until he decides to either kill me or get Osse move the island back to civilazation
Old 03-29-2007, 02:20 PM   #4
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
TM, you didn't include an object, artifact or other goodie in your choices. I'm thinking you'd probably want some kind of still...
Old 03-29-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thenamir, I understood this in another way.
Set 1 requires three persons, either three Tolkien characters or two characters and a Downer.
Set 2 only requirs one object.
Please correct me if I am wrong here.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:44 PM   #6
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

The way I understood it, you get to bring along (1) and (2). I messed up the thinking because I was trying (unsuccessfully) to be humorous.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:12 PM   #7
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Ah, don't be hard on yourself...you'll just have to say bye to the Palantir and Cirdan...
Old 03-29-2007, 03:29 PM   #8
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Lal, set us straight, please...
Old 03-30-2007, 03:44 AM   #9
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The Might is correct here, good sirs.

You are allowed to bring:

Decision 1.
One Downer and Two Tolkien characters, OR you may take Three Tolkien characters.

AND

Decision 2.
an object from Arda's long and illustrious history

So, Thenamir, if you wish to bring Cirdan then I'm afraid you'll have to send Arwen to the briny depths.

But who shall I bring?

davem - this is an obvious choice.
Faramir - a better choice than Aragorn. Both would be most useful chaps to have around in a survival context, but Faramir might be less annoyingly smug.
Galadriel - we would need another woman if circumstances arose where we wished to repopulate the island - she could be 'assigned' to Faramir - and she would also have the benefit of knowing lots of very old stories and a few magical powers maybe. Otherwise I would pick Gandalf, but he might not be so useful 'paired' with Faramir...and Eowyn might be a nuisance with her grumbling (can you imagine having to put up with her gripes about being in a 'cage' if she was trapped on a desert island?!).

I would say dear old Tom Bombadillo, but after several years' worth of his songs he might just get bonked on the head with a coconut, so t'would be a waste...

My object would be:
The Elessar - as it would ensure the island grew nice and green and all that business, meaning we would have plenty to eat.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:01 AM   #10
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ah Ha!

It's a good thread.

Decision 1

I'll take:
- The Phantom because Alien will probably follow thus creating much comedies
- Samwise: I hear he makes the best 'taters around! Also, it'd be good to hear some of the Gaffer's wisdom.
- Gandalf: Fireworks!

Decision 2

The Dragon Helm with which to scare off the sharks.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:58 AM   #11
Precioussss
Wight

Precioussss has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I would take:

1) Beren, because he'd kill some sharks for us to eat (I love shark)

2) A Balrog, because he could cook the shark, being a walking barbeque. He could also heat the water so I could get a bath.

3) Faramir, for company

The object I would take would be a Silmaril, so we would have a source of light in the dark. We could use it as a nightlight.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:50 AM   #12
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Thumbs up Interesting!

Well, even before I read TM's post, it was obvious for me (right after reading "or one Downer") to include him in the "package", for the same reasons he stated. Taking into mind the fact that we have the complete work of Tolkien with us there, I think actually nothing else is necessary. We'll just sit on the shore and ask each other trivia questions, until we both die by starvation and thirst

But if I had to be more... hmm... imaginative, then probably I'd take Saruman with me (seems a strange choice to you? He'd be great for the chatter!) - this also goes along with the possibility of taking TM, at least there will be fun - and... hmm... Galadriel. I like her far more than Lúthien, and also they might have really funny debates with Saruman by the time me and TM discuss the books.

If we wanted to repopulate the island, then I'll probably have to drop either TM or Saruman, which would be a shame either way. If I understand it correctly, then I'd probably have to leave Saruman and bring in Lúthien. The way the rules stand there would be no other choice. After all... it might not be so bad.

And also concerning the object... hmm... there are certainly many, many interesting things from ME... dropping the "watching TV" Palantír possibility (or even Mirror of Galadriel, when we have her.. I suppose the Mirror works even on the salt water and not only clear "fuel"), and presuming that we can't take the Flame Imperishable , then possibly something like the Elessar, so that our desolate island wouldn't be as desolate... or... (if I wanted to take Miruvor, it wouldn't be replenishable, right?)

Hmm, have to think about it yet...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:22 AM   #13
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

I'd have picked Saruman and Gandalf for sure if davem was not coming, but I seriously couldn't cope with the arguments once they all got going being sarcastic with one another, and I know it would be me who was left to go and gather all the coconuts and light the bonfires.

*awaits davem's repsonse*

Old 04-01-2007, 12:21 PM   #14
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Are we allowed one person we'd wap over the head with a piece of driftwood before they could stumble on to the beach?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:32 AM   #15
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Are we allowed one person we'd wap over the head with a piece of driftwood before they could stumble on to the beach?
Of course. As you will be on an isolated island, violence is something that can be gotten away with. Of course you may care to ponder what happened in Battle Royale...

I want to know who's going to get whomped with the piece of 2x4 now...
Old 04-10-2007, 03:34 AM   #16
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up I'll give it another go...

Decision 1

I'll take:
- Morgoth: At least if he's here, he can't be causing trouble elsewhere.
- Sauron: See above
- Gandalf: To tell the above two how bad they are and to beat them at chess.

Decision 2

- I'll have me the Black sword. You got to have a talking sword, just in case conversation with the others gets boring.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #17
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might
Probably Ulmo's horn so that I can annoy him until he decides to either kill me or get Osse move the island back to civilazation
Um...TM? Why don't you just bring Osse in the first section? Then you wouldn't be stuck on the Island anymore? Just wondering...

Anyway:

Section 1
1. The Lord of the Eagles whose name I can never remember how to spell
2. Sam
3. Manwe

Section 2
lembas
Old 04-10-2007, 07:16 PM   #18
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I would bring:

Formendacil - I would prefer to bring a person that I know I disagree with on a lot of subjects so that we would have plenty to talk about, it often becomes dull if you start a discution and all the other person does is agreeing. Plus with Formendacil it will not turn ugly.

Galadriel - She is hot/beautiful (I could do with Cate Blanchet as well) and clever and powerful and all that Jazz

Gandalf - So that I would have someone to beat in chess, he also tells great stories and especially in the Hobbit he is a cool dude.

and for the one item I would bring a. . .

Silmaril - You guess why!

Last edited by Rune Son of Bjarne; 04-11-2007 at 05:32 AM.
Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote