The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-08-2005, 07:16 PM   #1
jordainian

Sting The mouth of Sauron

I have not read the books but i have seen the movies. People keep talking about a mouth of sauron and i have no clue wat they r talkin about.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:28 PM   #2
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Here, I'll try and explain it as best as I can without my books.

After the Battle of the Last Alliance when Isildur took up the Ring and claimed it for his own, Sauron wasn't utterly destroyed. His spirit fled his body and hid in the East for a time. Then he lived in Dul-Guldur(? I forget how to spell it propoerly, if that isn't the way) and got the Nazgul, that is the Black Riders, to make Mordor ready for his return because he knew of the coming of the Istari (the Wizards) and that the White Council was going to attempt to overthrow him. Thus, he feigned retreat and once again took up abode in Mordor. I don't know how long afterwards, he took someone to "be his mouth" and tell everyone what he wanted done. How, I forget. If I missed someting in my explaination, maybe one of the more knowledgeable(?) members, such as Enca, Estel, Legolas, Gil, Fea or maybe the B-W himself could help out.

~Glirdy~
Old 09-08-2005, 07:52 PM   #3
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

jordainian, if you haven't seen ROTK EE you would not be familiar with the Mouth of Sauron. Jackson adds him in the EE.

He is Sauron's herald and ambassador. Lieutenant of Barad-dur. His main purpose in LOTR, as seen was to deliver to Aragorn and co. at the black gate the mithril shirt they found and claiming that their attempt had failed and the poor hobbit Frodo was tortured and killed. He then delivered terms Sauron offered for the everyone to submit to Sauron and pay tribute to him, of course Aragorn denied.

The Mouth was said to be a black Numenorean taken in by Sauron, grew in his favor, and taught him a bit of sorcery. That's really all that's said on the guy. Hope that helps. If you really want to see a good depiction of the Mouth of Sauron I suggest reading the books, instead of watching the movies, because Jackson's movie version I don't think shows too well the Mouth of Sauron's true purpose, to be a messengers. Which was to offer the terms that Sauron gave. He would spare their lives if they submitted fully to Sauron.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:54 PM   #4
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
1420! Cheers to Boro!!

There we go, someone who explained it better. So, did that clear things up?
Old 09-08-2005, 07:56 PM   #5
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
The Mouth of Sauron was also a Black Numenorean, a Numenorean who fell under the sway of Sauron. I doubt he was born in Numenor, probably he was just the descendant of the Numenoreans (perhaps of a garrison of soldiers and women in Umbar). Anyways, in the last years of Numenor the king captured Sauron and took him to Numenor. Sauron rose through the ranks, so to speak, and became the king's advisor. He corrupted the mind of the king, started a satanic religion, and was generally the real ruler of Numenor. The Black Numenoreans were those who followed him.

And I would read the books, if I were you, or our conversations might sound like nothing but elvish babble!

EDIT: Whoops, cross-posted with the last two.
Alcarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:40 PM   #6
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White-Hand Fear. The city is rank with it

Yes, that part of the book is a pretty fun one. One of those 'Battle of the Witty Insults'. When I think of it, it reminds me of the chapter where Gandalf battles wits with Saruman. Good stuff. It's been described pretty well. Well...since this is in the movie forum, i'll give a little movie description. Well...I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Book Version

Movie Version

Basically, movie version has dental problems, and back spasms.
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:47 PM   #7
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Oh I agree Perky. That part of the book was sadistically fun to read. I always love it when the bad guys monologue and think they're so great only to be shot down by the good guys with one clean swipe (which works literally in the movie).

I do prefer the imagination that went into the movie version of our favourite black foe...
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 05:07 AM   #8
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
White Tree

One thing when reading the book, I actually was more creeped out by the guys horse more than the Mouth of Sauron. His horse is maybe the most frightening description in the books.

Ainaserkewen, I agree, I think the giant peacock hat need not be there, but the rotting teeth, and just showing the Mouth was good imagination on Jackson and the design teams part.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:43 AM   #9
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I also appreciated the imagination that the design team put into creating the Mouth. He didn't seem that impressive when I first saw him (in fact I almost laughed at times because it seemed like he was too over-the-top), but once I watched some of the appendixes and listened to what the team was thinking and how they added things here and there and what their reasoning was behind some of his design I was pretty impressed.

Now I can at least watch the scene without stifling laughter, although I still don't appreciate how he meets his end (but that's a subject for a different thread).
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 08:57 AM   #10
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
he deserved all he got. and, even in the book version, if someone had killed him I would say this would not be against 'law' ('where such laws hold' of course as Gandalf states).

The main reasoning behind this is that the Parley was set up as part of the trap anyway.
Quote:
He gave a great cry, and turned, leaped upon his steed, and with his company galloped madly back to Cirith Gorgor. But as they went his soldiers blew their horns in signal long arranged; and even before they came to the gate Sauron sprang his trap.
You use a parley as part of a trap and you are under NO laws of protection.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 09:13 AM   #11
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

But the reason why the good guys are the good guys is that they are a rung above the bad guys on the "Edicate Ladder." In the books they had no real way of knowing for sure that it was a trap so they couldn't have used your reasoning there. In the movie, we presume that the future King of Gondor will have enough self control to endure a few taunts and not react like the stereotypical bad guy would.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:37 AM   #12
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

wat is ur problem with his death it was sooo cool LOLOL

But seriously, we spoke about his death before and it went on for quite a while. We probably shouldn't start again here.

To be closed, I imagine.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:41 AM   #13
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Exactly. There must be another good two, three threads with a lot of posts on them, though I haven't the time to find them & link to them right now.

Or maybe I'm just lazy.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:18 PM   #14
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

of course there are more threads - i'm arguing on two of them at the moment about the same thing.
Quote:
But the reason why the good guys are the good guys is that they are a rung above the bad guys on the "Edicate Ladder." In the books they had no real way of knowing for sure that it was a trap so they couldn't have used your reasoning there. In the movie, we presume that the future King of Gondor will have enough self control to endure a few taunts and not react like the stereotypical bad guy would.
to answer your first point. "goodies and baddies" is not black and white in Arda. If there's one thing I've learnt from the books, there is no overall 'good' (or bad for that matter). Take the elves and the kinslaying for example.

your second point. in the movie I put it to you that Aragorn did not kill the MoS because of his taunts, but because the people of the West were losing Hope. the MoS was defeating them with his words. He had to be stopped. It's as simple as that. In the book Aragorn helped to do this with a look, but that just wouldn't work in this film, so he lopped his head off.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:08 AM   #15
Bandobras Took
Pile O'Bones

Bandobras Took has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Also you could try scape goat (but he is not on very often) he is very very good.
Bandobras Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 11:02 AM   #16
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Leaf Elvish?!?

Here's something I just noticed: In the movie, the Mouth of Sauron says
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouth of Sauron
And who is this? Isildur's heir? It takes more than a king with a broken elvish blade to- *die*
...broken elvish blade? But...didn't Telchar, the DWARF smith make Narsil? Hmm....I guess it's just another one to be added to the infinite pile of errors in the movie! Happy Hunting!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
Old 09-20-2005, 06:00 PM   #17
Lord Melkor
Haunting Spirit

Lord Melkor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perky Ent
Here's something I just noticed: In the movie, the Mouth of Sauron says

...broken elvish blade? But...didn't Telchar, the DWARF smith make Narsil? Hmm....I guess it's just another one to be added to the infinite pile of errors in the movie! Happy Hunting!
Of course that could be explained by saying that the Mouth of Sauron did not know who made the blade, only that it was used by the elves. As such it is not unreasonable for him to assume that the blade was crafted by the Noldor.
Lord Melkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 06:39 PM   #18
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Leaf Silly Legolas! Logic is for Men

I guess that's him. All mouth and no brain. I'd prefer meeting the Ear of Sauron. He wouldn't mouth off at me, and he'd just listen to my demands. And when he's done listening, I can have the satisfaction of hearing Legolas say :" Look! The messenger only has ears! ". You'd think I'd react with a , but when you've know him as long as I have, it's more of an
Old 09-20-2005, 07:57 PM   #19
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

White Tree

Quote:
your second point. in the movie I put it to you that Aragorn did not kill the MoS because of his taunts, but because the people of the West were losing Hope. the MoS was defeating them with his words. He had to be stopped. It's as simple as that. In the book Aragorn helped to do this with a look, but that just wouldn't work in this film, so he lopped his head off.~Essex
That still doesn't mean anything. Even in the unhonorable times of war we live in now, directors show they can understand that you couldn't kill a messenger (Tolkien understood this too and he fought in the first war where really it wasn't honorable any more).

Prior to WW1 wars were seen as a "Gentleman's war." With rules that each side followed because it was considered the honorable way to fight. Directors of Troy, Braveheart, Gladiator, King Arthur...etc all show they understood this concept. You can't kill a messenger.

If the MoS was using words to defeat people then Aragorn needs to use words back to send him away cowering, like Tolkien shows. Clearly stated within the books (as well as Kuru's sig), he could not be assailed. No matter how vile, low, or cruel the MoS may have stooped with his words, you can't kill a messenger. He's not there to fight, he's there to deliver terms and may not be assailed.

Let me take some common day examples. I don't know what it's like in England but in the US if someone breaks in your house you can't kill them and say it's self defense. You may only use a force equal to that of the attacker. So if a guy breaks in your house, there's no fear for your life, he has no weapon, no fear that he's there to kill you just rob you, you can't kill him and claim self-defense. Now if he had a gun and he was pointing it at you, then of course you are afraid he's going to kill you and therefor can take the proper action in defending yourself. So, it's this concept that you can only use the amount of force that is equal to that of the attacker. Even without this, still the bottomline is you can't kill a messenger.

In this case, the MoS was using word, Aragorn can use words back. I prefer the banter that went on to the three seconds of talking and "off with your head."
Old 09-20-2005, 08:22 PM   #20
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Don't kill the messenger! But, almost most of this is true: [quote=boromir88]Prior to WW1 wars were seen as a "gentleman's war"]. If you think about it, one of the reasons America gained it's independance from Britian was because it used Guriella warfare when the British expected them to follow the rules they fought by. But yes...You are, of course, right!
Old 09-22-2005, 11:51 AM   #21
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boromir your point
Quote:
he's there to deliver terms
He was not there to deliver terms in the movie. yes, he was in the book, as I've explained before on various threads. But in the film he was just there to taunt them and to remove any last vestages of Hope.

He was NOT a messenger, nor there to Parley.

Therefore, off with his head!
Old 05-19-2006, 01:56 PM   #22
Witch King of Agmar

The Eye The Mouth was a diplomat in both the movie and the book

When the Mouth addresses Aragon, Gandalf, and the others, in the film, he begins by asking "Is there any in this route with authority to treat with me?". To treat as defined below is a term for negotiating.
Treat- to negotiate terms- intransitive verb to negotiate, especially in order to reach a settlement
Thus the was there to negotate and not just to fling insults. So there was really no reason to kill him.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:58 AM   #23
Ellewen
Animated Skeleton

Location: Somewhere in the woods looking for a place to recharge my laptop's battery.
Ellewen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

This has probably already been said, but if you watch the EE of RotK. You'll find the Mouth of Sauron there.

- Robin Hood
Ellewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:59 AM   #24
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

As far as I know, the Mouth of Sauron was the messenger of Sauron himself AND the lieutenent of the Dark Tower (Barad Dur). He is not slayed in the books, although he is in the movie by Aragorn. In the books, he refers to himself as an ambassador who may not be attacked.
This whole scene happens at the Black Gate when Aragorn leads the host of the west into Mordor to bide time for Frodo and Sam to destroy the Ring.
Hope this helps!
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote