The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-24-2011, 06:27 AM   #1
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Game Thread: WW LXXXVI - The Halls of Mandos

Welcome to Werewolf 86 - The Halls of Mandos!

This is an experimental game with an additional game thread for the dead.

This is the game thread for the living: we are a first age village of elves that is beset by werewolves. The living may post here during the Day; the dead may only read.

Living players who do not vote for two consecutive days will be modfired (moved to the dead thread) unless the player in question is Sally and the Days in question are 1 and 2.

Macalaure is the co-mod.

Multiple lynches of any number of players are allowed. Use it for good, not for evil (unless evil floats your boat).

Roles will not be revealed upon death.

The roles are:

-3 wolves. Normal wolf pack.
Living wolves can PM one another by Night, and dead wolves can PM one another at any time. Living wolves, however, cannot communicate with dead wolves.

-3 cobblers. No special powers.

-Beren and Lúthien - Lovers: when one dies, xe spends 1 Day among the dead, then returns to the living for 1 Day, after which both die. Aligned with the village, win if village wins.

-Glorfindel - Ranger: like the lovers, Glorfindel will spend 1 Day in Mandos and then return to the living the Day after that. Before his return, he has one protection per Night; after his return, he will have the ability to protect two people every Night. He can protect himself. He cannot protect a person twice in a row.

-Seer. Normal seer, except that xe continues to dream after xer death. Can only dream of the living when alive, can only dream of the dead after his death. Can detect cobblers.

-Hunter. Normal illogical hunter.

The living:

Shasta
Nogrod
Aganzir
Glirdan
A Little Green
elronds_daughter
Mänwe
Nerwen
Loslote
Wilwa
Legate
Lommy

Nessa
Blind Guardian
satansaloser2005
the phantom
Boromir88
Mithalwen
Anguirel
Fea
Macalaure
Rikae

Night 1 begins at 11 pm EST. Turn yourself invisible and check your PM box for your role.

Last edited by Rikae; 01-28-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
It is the year 100 of the Sun. Arien and Tilion shine upon the vast greens of Ard-Galen, where the Elves gloriously lay siege to the dark fortress of Angband.

This is the strange account of a group of twenty-two Elven riders of the House of Finarfin, obeying the orders of Angrod and Aegnor, patroling the grassy plains surrounding the Dark Lord's abide. Despite the due watchfulness of the scouts, this patrol did not promise to be any less uneventful as the usual one during these days of long peace.

After several days of scouting, and being many days of riding away from home, things happened the party did not, and could not, expect. They were about to set camp for the night, when in the twilight six evil spirits were lurking near them, undiscovered. They were waiting for the night to fall, biding their time to prey upon the Elven guards.

But they did not intend to kill them, nor capture them into slavery.

They had far worse in mind.

(It is now Night1. Wolves plot. Seer dream. Lovers may start pm'ing.)

Last edited by Macalaure; 01-26-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:00 PM   #3
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Night fell on the Elven scouts and - leaving two to guard the camp - they fell asleep.

On the six crept stealthily, evading the spiritual senses of Elf and beast. Each of the six chose a sleeping victim and sneaked towards them imperceptibly.

Simultaneously they entered their prey, and what happened to these poor souls in that moment, who can tell? The spirits put Morgoth's dark arts to use and changed them from the inside, turning goodness to evil, purity to corruption, and sanity to madness. The three more powerful ones then proceeded to change the bodies of their victims, so that they would still resemble their former selves in daylight, but during the night they would turn into abominations - vile beasts that would gruesomely slaughter anyone brave or foolish enough to oppose them: werewolves!

The spirits worked quietly enough to not wake anyone, but the guards became wary and the horses restless. The wolves knew what they had to do.

*~*

The next morning, the Elven riders saw what the night had wrought: A sight of unimaginable bloodshed of bodies and limbs of twenty-two horses lay around them, and in their midst, the mangled, dead bodies of their two guards, Rikae and Macalaure.

Day one has begun. Wolves stop PMing, hunter make your pick.

You may now post.

The living:

Shasta
Nogrod
Aganzir
Glirdan
A Little Green
elronds_daughter
Mänwe
Nerwen
Loslote
Wilwa
Legate
Lommy

Nessa
Blind Guardian
satansaloser2005
the phantom
Boromir88
Mithalwen
Anguirel
Fea

The dead:
Macalaure
Rikae
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #4
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Not the horses! Anything but the horses!

...Well, and Rikae and Mac too, I suppose.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #5
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Well, really. The horses and everything? Naughty, naughty werewolves. [/IC (insane cauterwaling? inadequate characterization?)]

Well, I think, with this new Dead Thread thing, we should adopt a new way of determining guilt. We've always known that among the first three people to post hides a werewolf. Let's switch that up a bit - among the first three people to sign up hides a werewolf! Talk about meta reasoning! This'll be awesome! We'll lynch either Shasta, Nog, or Agan. Sound good? *pause for cheering and such*

I thought so.

EDIT: xed with The Icicle Himself!
Old 01-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #6
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Ai, ai, my horse has been slain! We passed through many battles together! She deserved a more noble death than this mauling! A curse upon Morgoth for his evil works!

Oh... and that's too bad about Mac and Rikae too. They seemed like okay people, but maybe we should've picked different guards. Those two had a habit of shirking their duties in favor of.... other things.

(edit: Ha ha! Nice x-post Shasta! I swear I didn't copy you. )
Old 01-25-2011, 10:30 PM   #7
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I think this proves Shasta Icicle and The Puddingtom are packmates. Let's lynch 'em. Who's with me?
Old 01-25-2011, 10:31 PM   #8
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Lottie- you should vote me for Rep, right away!
Old 01-26-2011, 06:42 AM   #9
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Grr you are posting too much to my time-limited liking!
(Okay I just saw there were already two pages when I logged in and was expecting lengthy rules discussions etc. Scratch my complaint.)

Nog basically said everything I had in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
Nog's pinging on my suspicious radar. This is a real early, instant "twitter" impression, but definitely not a good impression. I'm not sure what to make of the "oops, have I missed that in the rules?" but his first post, while cutting straight to the point, looks too much like an attempt to start steering and spinning what Nog wants to spin.
And if he had continued the banter, you'd say "it's entirely unlike Nog to not post anything serious!"?

I have to go now, will be back later.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:45 AM   #10
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I have a sense that many of us are holding our breath. I certainly have been.

Here in no particular order are some observations and reactions -

This is a good set up for people with dodgy reputations, like, say, the phantom and, it must be said, me. Even if we are killed preemptively because we aren't trusted, we will have an active role to play; one of the reasons I was won over to this renaissance...

Nogrod, as you probably remember I'm always uncomfortable with the term nonsense; although admittedly, as we seem to agree, there has been chatter, I object to it not because it's irrelevant but because it's relevant and quite dangerous, being about Lovers etc.

The kind of nonsense I like - roles, hallo, yeargh, I be the village blacksmith etc - is not actually very much in evidence because we haven't picked roles. That said, I'm glad to find myself a First-Age Elf. I'm a follower of the House of Feanor. Obviously. I was carrying a message from Maedhros to Fingon and got mixed up in this ill-conceived patrol...

...still, fine, Nogrod, I accept that you are of the "stiff-lipped House of Finnwe", and prefer strategy on the whole to egregious colour. As a result Boromir's suspicion of you as a spinner seems, for the present, a bit too easy and a bit too tempting. Not that I suspect Boromir that much yet.

I'm not really of the school of thought that believes in giving such specific advice as you do to the Gifteds, though. Best pretend they don't exist, let them do their stuff cloak and daggered, ideally don't mention them until eight people are claiming to be the Seer and all that jazz.

A minor contribution to the interpretation of the Byzantine rules - it sounds to me like the spirits in Mandos do get told about cobblers; as in, they get told whether the ones they vote for are Elf or Wolf-aligned. But I agree it isn't very clear. I'd appreciate mod-Valar elucidation, but maybe that's a matter for the Dead Thread, not the Arda radar (ouch).

What happens if we kill all the wolves and there are still cobblers? (I feel cobbler is hardly the appropriate term for an Elven former cavalryman under minor possession!) We win, but we need an exorcist?

Oh, suspicions? Mith. How could you be so callous about my noble steed...sausages, for shame...

Real suspicions? I still don't feel any would be that rational. It's a striking fact, though, that there are an unusual quantity of evil voices here. Six out of twenty is almost one in three...every third contributor, alternately fanged and shod? Ok, Glirdan, Boromir and one other are wolves and Nerwen is a cobbler... ((by the way, this is a joke. It's also probably an inaccurate one. I really can't count.))
Old 01-26-2011, 07:50 AM   #11
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang
A minor contribution to the interpretation of the Byzantine rules - it sounds to me like the spirits in Mandos do get told about cobblers; as in, they get told whether the ones they vote for are Elf or Wolf-aligned. But I agree it isn't very clear. I'd appreciate mod-Valar elucidation, but maybe that's a matter for the Dead Thread, not the Arda radar (ouch).
The dead cannot see cobblers. Wolf or non-Wolf is all they'll be able to tell.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:02 AM   #12
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Ah, the strains of Maglor's harp reveal my mistake; thanks, chum

If anyone else happens to be around I'd appreciate a chat. I might not be around so much latter today (in particular, it'll be a miracle if I'm in at the deadline)
Old 01-26-2011, 08:05 AM   #13
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh Ang dear, don't take on ..no one could be fonder of living horses but I have a practical streak.. besides the traditional fate of a good hunter is to go to the dogs... anyway I am around and taking note.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:30 AM   #14
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Forgiven for now, Mith; what d'ya think of this then:

"Nog basically said everything I had in mind." - Aganzir

I can't remember if this is a traditional alliance, but right now I don't like it; or rather, I dislike it more expressly than anything else so far. I don't see it as wolf no. 1 shoring up wolf no. 2; but it does look a bit like finding a nice convenient protective elder brother...

It's just struck me, too, that presumably our horses will be in Mandos (whither I somehow expect to be expedited pretty quickly) - that's some comfort!