Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2006, 10:07 AM   #41
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I apologize about that. Should have explained myself. Thanks, Firefoot. But good news - Pop's been talking about getting internet at home, and Mom's rather pressing for it, and that helps lots. We'll see if I don't have it at home in a little while. . .then I'll be posting more constistantly.

I'll go see what's happening at the Mead Hall. . .

EDIT: LmP, since you haven't moved the time ahead, can I go ahead and write the necessary post? I honestly don't know what Thornden is going to say, but if it's still alright, I can write that and have it up before too long. What do you think?

-- Folwren

Last edited by Folwren; 01-31-2006 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:50 PM   #42
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
White-Hand

I'm thinking, the position of Chamberer(hmm can't seem to find the Anglo-Saxon equivalant) would best suit Ćđelhild, that would put her under Saeryn's supervision I would think and might make her a bit more at ease.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:04 PM   #43
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Chamber maid, maybe?

-- Folwren
Old 01-31-2006, 03:27 PM   #44
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Chamber is from Old French; in other words, it's a word the Normans brought with them in 1066. Curse 'em!

The closest Old English is 'cofa' which is related to modern English, "coffin". Heh.

Other alternatives are naming the role for an aspect of it such as Cinderella; cinder girl.

I got it! Barmaid. What do you think?

EDIT: I just read your great post, Nerindel: chambermaid it is, unless you can think of a better.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 01-31-2006 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:31 PM   #45
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

LmP, I can't think of anything constructive to write for Thornden until later in the RPG day. . .so unless you're expecting some sort of reply from him sooner, I'll have to wait until you jump the time until afternoon or so. I'm fine with waiting, as long as you weren't expecting anything sooner.

-- Folwren
Old 02-01-2006, 02:19 PM   #46
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I figured I'd give you an out, Folwren, by not including something like "Eodwine waited for Thornden to respond". It occurs to me that one of the things Thornden is going to figure out is that the job of steward and that of almbudsman can't be done by one person in a 'manor' as sprawling as the Middle Emnet (which I still have to figure out on a map). So after some time, Thornden might tell Eodwine that he has discovered this, say, after coming back to the Mead hall after the sun has set some night.

I'm thinking that the next Day will be seven days after this one, unless anybody would like to have the next Day come sooner.

One other thought: usually, the action that takes place, does so in the Inn, and anything outside the Inn is reserved for afterthought. This being a Mead Hall with lands attached, we may have to allow some posts to be written away from the mead hall. For example, the almbudsman can go to a farmstead and have a talk with the freeman who owns it, and request to collect such and such a fee. Just a thought. If we handle it well, it shouldn't be a problem; this thread should help. Thoughts?
Old 02-01-2006, 03:31 PM   #47
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

On your 'away' posts - why don't you just tag them with a bolded line above the post:

Away - Cráwham Village

or something like that . . .

Be easy to follow that way - especially if there were more than one 'away' situation happening at a time.

~*~ Pio
Old 02-02-2006, 10:31 AM   #48
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Great idea, Pio! Thanks! We'll go with that then.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:21 PM   #49
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Forgoil? Help me out. Looks like it means something like 'bad luck'.

This is going to be interesting, Anguirel. I like how you've built tension into the Eorling Mead Hall story. Especially concerning a certail Eorl of the Middle Emnet.

You see, Eodwine of the Gap used to be a humble farmer who owned land in the Gap of Rohan; had a wife and two kids. He was called to the muster of Rohan, and went to War, but when he got back he discovered that his wife and children, and farm, had been desolated by the Dunlendings. He was one of the leaders of the reprisals (he called it justice-seeking) against the Dunlendings. So this'll be interesting.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:49 PM   #50
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Forgoil. Strawheads. If I remember right.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:42 PM   #51
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
So says Ardalambion.

But the other names, like Caerissin, are they something Celtic? It would seem historically appropriate that the Old English Rohirrim would've invaded the lands of the Celtic language Dunlendings.

Last edited by Alcarillo; 02-05-2006 at 12:58 AM.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:20 AM   #52
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Let us consider, for the purposes of Eorling Mead Hall, Alcarillo, that the Rohirrim have indeed invaded the lands of the Dunlendings, as a reprisal for the Dunlending alliance to Saruman. I've had an rpg idea on the back burner .... in which Eodwine is appointed Warden of the Dunland Marches, in which he is ordered by Eomer to (1) bolster the defenses along the new border (2) impose Rohirric rule and law upon the folk of Dunland that are within the new border (3) give swift reprisal against Dunlending attacks onto the new Rohorric land.

Now it has to be someone beside Eodwine, since the man has a new Eorlship to deal with instead, but I still like the idea. It's a replaying of English history without the Norman influence, more or less.

I'd like to see Manywyth (is that right) brought into the mead hall before I make a post for Eodwine.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:20 AM   #53
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'd like to see the same before I post for Saeryn.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:51 PM   #54
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Yes, yes, I have half a post on my computer. Just let me finish it and Manawyth will be standing before your lordship in no time!
Old 02-06-2006, 03:41 AM   #55
Dunwen
Wight

Dunwen has just left Hobbiton.
Hello

Pio was kind enough to send me a message in mid-January suggesting that I take a peek at Littlemanpoet's discussion thread for the Eorling Mead Hall, which I have finally gotten to now that I am done preparing various projects at work. I am intrigued and attracted! However, I hesitate to propose a permanent character due to RL constraints -- my availability to post depends on what time of year it is.

However, I saw that Eodwine, as Eorl of the Mid Emnet, has holdings away from the mead hall itself...LMP, may I play a character from one of the freeholds? For example, a farmer would be expected to send provisions to the lord periodically. That would enable me come and go (so to speak) as I need to and would provide a character to interact with others in the Hall. If something like that would work, let me know.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:04 AM   #56
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Manawyth and Caerissin are both Welsh/Anguirelish words...

I think this is going to be interesting...
Old 02-06-2006, 10:00 AM   #57
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunwen
Pio was kind enough to send me a message in mid-January suggesting that I take a peek at Littlemanpoet's discussion thread for the Eorling Mead Hall, which I have finally gotten to now that I am done preparing various projects at work. I am intrigued and attracted! However, I hesitate to propose a permanent character due to RL constraints -- my availability to post depends on what time of year it is.

However, I saw that Eodwine, as Eorl of the Mid Emnet, has holdings away from the mead hall itself...LMP, may I play a character from one of the freeholds? For example, a farmer would be expected to send provisions to the lord periodically. That would enable me come and go (so to speak) as I need to and would provide a character to interact with others in the Hall. If something like that would work, let me know.
By all means, Dunwen,, I like the idea! Feel free to introduce your farmer at any time.

Feanor, it's still the same day - roughly lunch time. Falco has been a very late riser this day.

Yes, Anguirel, I'm finding it intriguing too. Especially with how Falco changes the whole dynamic.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:39 AM   #58
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Oh pish. Somehow I contorted my times. Blame a spastic weekend.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:52 AM   #59
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Great Heaven's above! You would have me figure out an answer, wouldn't you?

Well, at least I'm here today, so I'll be able to answer it before Tuesday. *sigh* We'll see what poor Thornden can do.

Anguirel, tell me. . .did your character (I can't spell his name) really call Eodwine a lout and plunderer? I thought he did but, I couldn't be quite sure. That's so. . .insulting.

-- Folwren
Old 02-10-2006, 11:10 AM   #60
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Not exactly.

He said that just as to Eodwine he looked like an outlaw, to him, Eodwine looked like a lout or a plunderer. Then he blamed it on cultural heritage.

Manawyth's really a rather liberal chap!
Old 02-10-2006, 11:24 AM   #61
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Aye, a little liberal in a place where it's not exactly healthy for a Dunlending to be liberal.

-- Folwren
Old 02-10-2006, 11:37 AM   #62
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

It's okay... it's creating such wonderful tension.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:12 PM   #63
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Okay, well, I've written a post. I really don't know how good it is. We'll see how others take it.

-- Folwren
Old 02-10-2006, 02:26 PM   #64
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
Great Heaven's above! You would have me figure out an answer, wouldn't you?
Hee hee! What fun.

Quote:
Well, at least I'm here today, so I'll be able to answer it before Tuesday. *sigh* We'll see what poor Thornden can do. (snip) Okay, well, I've written a post. I really don't know how good it is.
I was going to take you off the hook with my latest post, but you snuck it in there, as was your right and priviledge. I'm eager to see what Manawyth does with this latest twist in the plot. By the way, this is a gas! Great writing! I really like the way the various characters have reacted across the board, from Gárwine's truly Rohirric attitude (not unlike Eodwine's) to the 'not knowing' of Gudryn, to the reserved judgement of Thornden, to the open mindedness of Saeryn and others. Great variety!
Old 02-14-2006, 09:12 PM   #65
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Anguirel, do you want a reply from me? Adhelhild plays the flute, doesn't she, rather than the harp?

I'll make a post. Maybe I'll manage more than one paragraph....
Old 02-15-2006, 07:07 PM   #66
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Quote:
Adhelhild plays the flute, doesn't she, rather than the harp?

Indeed she does, though I have to admit that was all Bethberrys doing :P But she does have a geat love for music and will no doubt be greatly interested to hear something new
Old 02-15-2006, 07:41 PM   #67
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
Quote:
Adhelhild plays the flute, doesn't she, rather than the harp?

Indeed she does, though I have to admit that was all Bethberrys doing :P But she does have a geat love for music and will no doubt be greatly interested to hear something new

Ppfft and twaddle and fiddle de dee. Did you raise any objections to the idea?

And anyways, I think Fordim had dibs on the harpist, didn't he?
Old 02-18-2006, 05:33 PM   #68
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Just so everybody knows, Feanor and I are trading PMs right now, building a little dialogue that will be posted to the thread as soon as we've decided it's ready. So please feel free to post up while this develops.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:09 AM   #69
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally posted by LmP:
Just so everybody knows, Feanor and I are trading PMs right now, building a little dialogue that will be posted to the thread as soon as we've decided it's ready. So please feel free to post up while this develops.
Ah, yes, I see. I was wondering about that. It was a great post. Will have to rep the both of you on it somehow.

----------------

I'll do my best to get a post up today, but my right hand is bandaged (almost) entirely, so typing is slowed down considerably. But, I'll do my best, as I said.

-- Folwren
Old 02-21-2006, 09:16 AM   #70
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

[QUOTE=Folwren]Ah, yes, I see. I was wondering about that. It was a great post. Will have to rep the both of you on it somehow.[/QUOTE

My thanks. Give LMP the credit... he's the one that's got me dying to find out just what those "my d-"'s are.

Quote:
I'll do my best to get a post up today
I look forward to it. Sorry about your hand... hope it gets better quickly.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:42 AM   #71
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Thumbs up

Quote:
Give LMP the credit... he's the one that's got me dying to find out just what those "my d-"'s are.
lol Yes me too, a very nicely constructed post you two. Just enough to keep us guessing I love it the whole turn about with Eodwine swearing an oath to Searyn was great. I would have rep you but apparently I still have to spread it about a bit more

I too will try to get something up for Aeolhild tonight.

Anguirel how recent is Manawyth's injury? Aeolhild may know of something that can take down the swelling if it is recent.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:05 PM   #72
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerindel
“What… er… no, I meant about him being a Dunlending girl!” he frowned looking up at her.

“Oh he is!” she answered a little surprised,
Surely you meant boy, right?

Or was Master Boffin just being sarcastic to highlight Adhelhild's unknowing?

Last edited by Alcarillo; 02-21-2006 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:23 PM   #73
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I've noticed that a couple of you are around right now and just thought that with my cross-posting with Nerindel I would let you know in case some of you read it before I edited it that I did edit the first couple lines or so of my post. Just a bit about noticing Adhel's pouring of their wine for more continuity and in case it eventually leads somewhere.

And in that quote, I believe it is meant as Falco addressing Adhel and calling her girl, not meaning that the Dunlending is a girl.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:26 PM   #74
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

oh! lol well actually I did mean girl, but my punctation faulters somewhat when I am tired, it should have been :
Quote:
“What… er… no, I meant about him being a Dunlending, girl!"
the girl being a referance to Aeolhild not Manawyth but anyway I decided to take it out to save any further confusion.

My turn to cross post. Thanks firefoot I will check it out

Last edited by Nerindel; 02-21-2006 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:46 PM   #75
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Just so you know what direction I've finally decided to take with this:

The first few days, the carpenters are going to be erecting a canvas tent - quite large - to serve as the temporary dining area for the mead hall; which could get dicey in bad weather, so that the mead hall can afterward be properly constructed by the carpenters et. al.

Where is this tent going to be raised? Well, that's a puzzle, because I don't have a clear idea of the layout of the land that this old White Horse Inn lay on, just that it was in Edoras. I'll have to give that some thought. At any rate, the carpenters are busy at work outside for the first couple of days.

Any questions?
Old 02-22-2006, 07:30 AM   #76
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
I am thinking of adding a character to the Hall, but more as a guest than an employee. Is the Hall open for business, or should I wait until things are more settled?

Be it known that I do not yet have a particular character in mind.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:56 AM   #77
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyHallu
I am thinking of adding a character to the Hall, but more as a guest than an employee. Is the Hall open for business, or should I wait until things are more settled?

Be it known that I do not yet have a particular character in mind.
You certainly don't have to wait! You might find it fun to be a guest in the middle of all the hubbub of construction and tear-down. Soon as you're ready.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:59 AM   #78
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Awesome. I've never played anywhere here but the Green Dragon. May I just walk in IC once I have a character, or should I give warning here?

EDIT: I'm thinking that my character will be a Gondorian woman from Belfalas, and a cousin of Lothiriel. That will be a good excuse for a visit, don't you think?

Last edited by JennyHallu; 02-22-2006 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:42 PM   #79
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

I have introduced my character, Lin, in the Hall. Marenil is temporary only, I needed his viewpoint to properly introduce her.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:23 PM   #80
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Alcarillo, is there anything you would have Garwine say before Leof rushes off to help Jenny's characters? Or, you know, we can go with the awkward silence variety...