The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-01-2004, 05:48 PM   #1
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree Albino Elves

Here's a question! If Races from all across Middle Earth have different skin tones (Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, Easterlings), is there a possibility that some could be albino? Or is that a topic that Tolkien failed to notice?
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 06:34 PM   #2
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Question

Quote:
Or is that a topic that Tolkien failed to notice?
He also failed to include any reference to jellyfish, giraffes, lung cancer or bronchitis. Did they exist in Middle-earth? Possibly, who knows? They could if you want them to. The main point being, however, that they were not relevant to the story that he was telling.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:39 PM   #3
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Good point. But still, that would be cool if someone was albino. and it could be relavent to the story. After stealing the ring from Deagol, for some odd reason it could have made him albino, which was another reason to go into the cave.
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 08:25 PM   #4
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Gollum is descirbed as being bone white sometimes...mind you, other times he's black as night. Basically, from a distance the guy's a wretched chameleon.

Albino's lack the menalin to handle the sun well...so though Orks have lots of pigment in them, you could say they suffer the ill-effects of albinosim.

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 10:01 PM   #5
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Albinism is a result of genetic mutation that causes a deficiency in melanin (there are several alterations that can trigger it). Who knows whether that mutation had showed up as early as Tolkien's stories take place? They certainly wouldn't have known what caused it, or even what to call it.

Maybe Dwalin's blue beard was a result of some odd genetic mutation, though.

Last edited by Legolas; 05-01-2004 at 10:15 PM.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 07:28 AM   #6
ohtatyaro
Wight

ohtatyaro has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Maybe Dwalin's blue beard was a result of some odd genetic mutation, though.
Or type of pipeweed he was smoking
Old 08-03-2004, 11:25 AM   #7
Isowen
Haunting Spirit

Isowen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Is there such a thing as Albino hair? Because most elves have white-blonde hair which is close enough isnt it? Elven folk are supposed to be fair of skin, so I suppose you could call them albino. It has a nice ring to it....."albino elves" In the films, the fellowship have more or less the same skin-tone but, just to raise a slightly different point; why do dwarves have darker skin than elves?
Elves are almost always outside, so surely they should have a darker flesh than dwarves, who spend their time underground! (because of the whole sun thing!)
Elves are pale, I suppose, to symbolise their purity and inner light. So you could call them albino.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:21 AM   #8
ohtatyaro
Wight

Quote:
Because most elves have white-blonde hair which is close enough isnt it
'tis in the movie. Golden hair had vanyar (the dudes that stayed in Valinor, when Morgoth killed the Trees), Noldor had black hair - Galadriel was an exeption, and Teleri grey-silver (at least Thingol). I mean blondies of the movie must be a movie makers vision - there were no Vanyar in Middle Earth at that time, right?
Old 02-04-2005, 02:12 PM   #9
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohtatyaro
'tis in the movie. Golden hair had vanyar (the dudes that stayed in Valinor, when Morgoth killed the Trees), Noldor had black hair - Galadriel was an exeption, and Teleri grey-silver (at least Thingol). I mean blondies of the movie must be a movie makers vision - there were no Vanyar in Middle Earth at that time, right?
Well, the Vanyar were the only PREDOMINANTLY blond race, but there is a smattering of blonds in the other races. Glorfindel, for example, is a Noldo. Thranduil (descriped in the Hobbit) is a Teler, of the Sindaring variety.

Also, for what its worth, most of the Teleri (be they from Aman, Beleriand, or elsewhere) are described as having "dark" hair, not unlike the Noldor. Silver-Grey seems to be a rare distinguishing trait of their royal house, where it is possessed by Thingol, Cirdan, Celeborn, and possibly others.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:26 PM   #10
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Being etiolated from light deprivation is not the same as albinism. I have found various sites that point out various flaws in the genetics of Middle Earth. Although Mendel started his experiments in the 1850s it is fair to say that it was still a very new branch of science when Tolkien was writing and I wouldn't think that errors would cause much impairment of the work.

Pale isn't the same as albino ... I was at school with a girl who was affected by it and it was far from cool. Aswell as lacking colour in hair and skin it always affects the eyes - in vision if not coulour - and she had a serious visual impairment. Elves certainly don't suffer from that.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:34 PM   #11
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I know in the games there is albino Wargs......
Old 12-20-2005, 07:41 PM   #12
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elu Ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elu Ancalime
im pretty sure there is a difference between whate hair and albino hair. white is pigmented white, obviously, but albino hair would really be defined as clear, making the hair look the color of the skin behind it. i think a polar bear is an example.
________
Vermont marijuana dispensaries

Last edited by Elu Ancalime; 03-03-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Elu Ancalime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 10:38 PM   #13
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Although Mendel started his experiments in the 1850s it is fair to say that it was still a very new branch of science when Tolkien was writing and I wouldn't think that errors would cause much impairment of the work.
I'm fairly sure not only that you are right, but also that when Mendel 'discovered' genetics, no one really payed attention until quite a few years after that. I took intro Bio in which we studied Mendel's work but I can't recall exactly when it happened that science took an interest in genetics again. I would think it was not until at least 1930, as the "boom" in genetics did not happen until mid-20th century.

Regarding albino characters, it is unlikely that there would be many. I don't know the statistics on how many albino individuals there are in a population but it's unlikely to be too big... and if you take into account that science was not very well developed in the timeframe Middle Earth is set on, it is likely that albino people would have been discriminated and ostracised by society. Either that or adored as demi-gods because their white skin showed how pure they are or something like that
Farael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 01:16 AM   #14
ohtatyaro
Wight

Quote:
it is likely that albino people would have been discriminated and ostracised by society. Either that or adored as demi-gods because their white skin showed how pure they are or something like that
It depends on type of society. I mean, elves do not ring a bell as likely to discriminate on that ground, neither to worship anyone but Eru. And Dunedain likewise.

Now, if we're talking about orcs...
Old 12-21-2005, 01:47 AM   #15
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
It depends on type of society. I mean, elves do not ring a bell as likely to discriminate on that ground, neither to worship anyone but Eru. And Dunedain likewise.

Now, if we're talking about orcs...
True, but I would guess MOST men and possibly dwarves might. And you never know, perhaps the dark elf (what was his name? the one who lived alone in a forest) was actually albino!
Old 12-21-2005, 02:37 AM   #16
ohtatyaro
Wight

If you say that was the reason he 'shunned the sun'...

But here is his description from Silmarillion:

Quote:
'Lord,' he cried, 'the Guard have taken captive one that came by stealth to the Dark Gate. Eöl he names himself, and he is a tall Elf, dark and grim, of the kindred of the Sindar; yet he claims the Lady Aredhel as his wife, and demands to be brought before you
I mean, they would not call him 'dark', if he were albino, however 'grim' he may have looked to them
Old 12-21-2005, 03:02 AM   #17
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
If you say that was the reason he 'shunned the sun'...
I mean, they would not call him 'dark', if he were albino, however 'grim' he may have looked to them
Maybe he had reverse-albinism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicale Science Journale
Reverse albinism: An uncommon disease caused by an over-accumulation of melanin, possibly due to a glandular reaction against a lack of that same pigment.
Edit: don't want to get into trouble.... just to be clear, I'm joking a little bit with that "journal entry".... as I have been proven clearly wrong!

Last edited by Farael; 12-21-2005 at 03:05 AM.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:00 PM   #18
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elu Ancalime
im pretty sure there is a difference between whate hair and albino hair. white is pigmented white, obviously, but albino hair would really be defined as clear, making the hair look the color of the skin behind it. i think a polar bear is an example.

Correct. Thus polar bears can sometimes appear creamy (from the sun) and green (from algae infections within their hair follicles).