The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2005, 11:53 AM   #1
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Tolkien Death of a Salesman- I mean, Maia

Well...after running through the Crazy Captions thread, I thought about the current picture. It's Movie Sauron after his fingers are cut off, when he's glowing and right about to explode. Movie version checks out with me: Powerful maia, Most powerful in Middle Earth, Source of Evil, almost omnipotent. No wonder he starts glowing and explodes in front of the Last Alliance. I don't doubt his glowing explosion. For further proof, it checks out in the books when Saruman dies. The book describes his death as
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R Tolkien
...a grey mist gathered, and rising slowly to a great heigh like smoke from a fire, as a pale shrouded figure it loomed over the Hill. For a moment it wavered, looking to the West; but out of the West came a cold wind, and it bent away, and with a sigh dissolved into nothing
If I'm interpreting it correctly (and I'm not that confident that I am) after Saruman dies, his spirit looks to the west as if to return of Valinor, but the Valar deny him passage, and he dissolves and is seen no more. That is a topic for another forum (The topic being do Sauron and Saruman return to Valinor after they die). But, after re-reading the passage from 'The Scouring of the Shire', a light clicked in my head. Why haden't Saruman followed the death pattern that had happened in the books?

Well, for starters we know that Peter Jackson really didn't like The Scouring of the Shire, and didn't include it in the movie. But, for a demand for Christopher Lee, Saruman was included (in the Extended Edition at least :P) . In movie Saruman's death, he insults wormtongue, Wormtongue stabs him, and Legolas fires an arrow at Wormtongue. Well, two outta three ain't bad. Both stories follow the same pattern (granted one is in the Shire, and one is in Isenguard) except for who fires the arrow that kills Wormtongue. In the book version of Saruman's death, it is clear when Saruman dies
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
But at that something snapped: suddenly Wormtongue rose up, drawing a hidden knife, and then with a snarl like a dog he sprang on Saruman's back, jerekd his head back, cut his throat, and will a yell ran off down the lane
When Saruman's neck is slit, and the mist starts gathering, it is clear he is dead. However, Movie Saruman has the misfortune of being stabbed at the top of the tower, falling down Isenguard (because after seeing Denethor fall down Minas Tirith, you know they're gonna want to see someone fall down Isenguard) and finally landing on a spiked wheel where his body is impaled. We know for sure he is dead by the time of hear the 'thud!' of his body on the wheel, but unlike the movie, there is no mist. There is no grey fog or fire, or body filled with light. He falls, and is dead.

Now, why is he not glowing? Why does he just fall and die like a human, and not a maia? Where is the power given to him by the valar? I have several explanations. For one, when Gandalf dies fighting the Balrog, he does not glow when he dies. Although we have established the glowing of Sauron, Gandalf is a grey area (get it? Grey ). Since the book does not discribe his death at the hands of the Balrog, there is no way to tell what is accurate or not. Maybe, to keep it simple for the movie viewers who haven't read the books, they don't glow simply because they don't want to get involved in the lore in terms of ranks of power and wether the istari are mightier than Sauron (which I believe is explained in several places). On the other hand, perhaps it's a forgotten detail, or a lack of time and budget. It certainly wouldn't be the first time in the series So...anyone have any thoughts
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 12:03 PM   #2
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand Point of order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perky
Well, for starters we know that Peter Jackson really didn't like The Scouring of the Shire, and didn't include it in the movie.
Jackson is on record as saying that the Scouring is one of his favourite chapters. He did not include it in the films because he did not believe that it would work from a pacing point of view. I tend to agree with him.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:29 PM   #3
arcticstorm
Shade of Carn Dûm

arcticstorm has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arcticstorm Send a message via MSN to arcticstorm Send a message via Yahoo to arcticstorm
Ring

My theory is that Jackson was trying to show how the life of Sauron was tied to the ring. He is trying to show that his physical form is only becasue of him having the ring and therefore, as soon as he lost it, his physical form exploded. Even when the balrog, another maiar, dies, he is shown laying there, but with Sauron exploding, it is kind of like a genie being sucked itno a bottle, he had to withdraw into the ring when he no olonger possessed it. They did this in order to make it more dramatic.
arcticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 12:44 PM   #4
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Pipe Tuche Saucepan man! Have some old toby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Jackson is on record as saying that the Scouring is one of his favourite chapters. He did not include it in the films because he did not believe that it would work from a pacing point of view. I tend to agree with him.
...that's what I meant when I said he didn't really like it and didn't include it. He didn't like it in terms of pace And yes Saucepan man, tuche.

Arcticstorm, you bring up good points. There is no doubt that drama was a part of it. As for the genie in a bottle deal, with him being sucked into the ring, his misty aura explodes, rather than implode into the ring. And, although it really isn't a good comparion, when Sauron actually dies in the movie, you can see him dissolving almost in the fashion Tolkien described how Saruman died.
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
Old 09-24-2005, 06:57 PM   #5
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

I doubt that any of the "Maiar" deaths in the films have anything to do with those dying being Maiar. After all, the concepts of Maia, Vala, Istari and Aman are not explained at all in the films.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:44 PM   #6
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Well...Aman is sort of explained whenever the elves are talking about leaving Middle Earth, or when Gandalf gives his monologue about dying in Return of the King. Still, it's not nerely enough so if you mentioned Aman, anyone would know what it was (assuming their only knowlege of LOTR was of the movies)
Old 09-25-2005, 11:12 PM   #7
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The 1,000 Reader is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
The interesting thing is, it was the other way around in the books. When the ring was taken from Sauron, his state of being dead was just laying there, not moving. Saruman, however, had the cloud when he died.
The 1,000 Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:01 AM   #8
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
I would have loved to have seen this in the movie
Quote:
with a snarl like a dog he sprang on Saruman's back, jerekd his head back, cut his throat, and will a yell ran off down the lane
but then ROTK would have been a 15 or 18 rating, and would have cost new line millions of lost revenue. They were lucky orc blood is black too.....
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote