The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2004, 04:06 PM   #161
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
i agree with Nightknight, if i didn't go on absent i might be 3000 or so...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightKnight
Nah, not in 2 months... 1,800 perhaps...
knowing Gil-galad, it might well be 3,000! not me, though... more like 30. pathetic, no? I just don't have the time...
Old 09-14-2004, 04:33 PM   #162
ninlaith
Wight

ninlaith has just left Hobbiton.
Hey everyone...it's me again.....ninlaith.....So I'm at college now.....my roomate doesn't like LOTR....I think she saw the movies but she just doesn't care.....I don't think I'm gonna make it....it has been about a month and I haven't watched any LOTR dvd's......if it wasn't for a guy in my dorm randomly doing a Gollum impression I don't think I'd be here to type this right now.....please help....I'm desperate.........
Old 09-14-2004, 04:45 PM   #163
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Just take a deep breath, open your LotR book, splash some ale around and repeat "the power of gandalf compels you, the power of gandalf compels you" if all else fails, think like a hobbit! dig a hole! make sour faces at random people walking by!
Old 09-14-2004, 05:19 PM   #164
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

we're all behind you, ninliath. except, of course, those of us who are ahead of you. *ahem* yeah, anyway, here's a suggestion: you could listen to the soundtracks whilst you study, or any other time. Smuggle your LotR books into any and every place possible. Don't let your non-LotR addict room-mate intimidate you! Every Downsaholic has his/her rough times. You'll pull through this, trust me. We support you!!

~Mithh~
Old 09-23-2004, 02:10 PM   #165
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InklingElf
The 3 people I know who went into an extreme posting phase during the summer were Perky, Morsul (where is he anyway?), and of course Gil.

Can you believe i´m still in the 400s!
Morsul's computer died so Morsul uses the one at the library
ok out of third person into first
Im actually able to somehow deal with my obsession and havent gone crazy first week was hard but withdrawal symptoms are subsiding...I wonder when I can go post crazy again I mean really Im now down to what? 11.23 posts per day!! thats crazy I miss my 15 or however high I got to..i think 19..not sure oh well...I suppose once in a while is better than never
Old 09-23-2004, 02:33 PM   #166
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Quote:
poor Morsul. I was without a computer for a couple weeks (way back when.... about a month ago), and experienced the withdrawl. ya know, Perky (where ever you are out there), you really should add 'post withdrawl syndrome' to the list of downsaholic maladies. the remedy would be, of course, to post more!
Old 09-23-2004, 04:06 PM   #167
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Oh, so that's why you haven't been online in forever! That stinks.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 01:35 PM   #168
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well today I found out grave news I am not getting another computer which means I shall rarely visit this site again...if I do...wow It didnt seem so bad when I wasnt here but now that Im on the site I know how much Im going to miss everyone...enca SPM HI Perky Firfoot Feanor... and everyone else all I can say is you made last summer the best summer of my life.

"elventy-one days is far too short a time to post among such great and admirable downers I dont know half of you as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve I wish you all very fond farewell, Good bye"
Old 10-07-2004, 05:11 PM   #169
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

I am still in shock after reading your post, Morsul. One thing I can say for sure is that we will all greatly miss the Marvelous Magnificent Malevolent M. Perhaps we should all pool our resources and buy you a new computer, rather than let you (and us) suffer. You will be missed.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:23 PM   #170
Gil-Galad

You were a semi-worthy foe to me, Gil-Galad, Poster-Boy of the Downs, Burninator of the Countrysides, Inquisters of the SPainish, Una-Bomber of McDonalds... well you get the point, though when you do seldomly return, i shall be here!
Old 10-07-2004, 06:27 PM   #171
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Here's to hoping Morsul finds his way back to the Barrowdowns site very often. If not for you, I'd never have been mistaken for the leader of an Elvish gang.
Cheers,
Estel
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 08:59 PM   #172
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420! Here's to Morsul.

Morsul! Nooo! Save your money! Use a school computer! Or a library computer! Or steal -- I mean, I'm going to miss you a lot. Here's to hoping you can get back on from time to time.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 02:54 AM   #173
yavanna II

yavanna II has just left Hobbiton.
It all started with my Friendster picture.... I wanted a Sil-inspired pic! Then, as I was surfing in Yahoo, a site name thing caught my eye.... Planet tolkien. Then I browsed, and I found the downs.... Then, as if fate willed it, a fellow tolkienite(my english teacher) learned that I was a Tolkienite, and advised me to create an account.... THen, I remember next that I was totally addicted to the downs!!!!
I became crazier!
But it is nice, with people whom I could relate, and add the fact that I am sick with that darn chemistry! BD made me forget about atoms....
yavanna II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 03:01 PM   #174
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I will return when I may and dont worry I will still be with you all its actually inspiring to see how much I shall be missed ...well I cant let you all down I shall see what I can Do to improve the situation, oh Aand I went tyo the LOTR exhibit inn boston saturday awesome but the line for sean astin was too long so I didnt meet him oh well

Edit: I also have just realized my post-per-day count is 9.31! a meager fraction of its once great girth

Last edited by Morsul the Dark; 10-18-2004 at 03:35 PM.
Morsul the Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 06:20 PM   #175
Vuelve
Wight

Location: A portal to an alternate dimension at your local Wal-Mart store.
Vuelve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Vuelve
Hi.....my name is......Vuelve....in case you've forgotten on account of I haven't been here in AGES! Not that I don't love ya'll I do, but I just kind of up and left! Don't really remember why because its been so long. I come to you know to ask your forgiveness.Please don't hate me Sniffle.

Everything feels so different since I left. I used to keep up with ME Mirth because it was my favorite forum, but now I'm so lost.Pages and pages of topics I will have to go through to catch back up!! My signature and avatar will have to be updated!! Old alliances shall need to be made anew!! Oh why did I trouble myself with leaving!! I should have known better!!ARGH!! O well if its any consolation to ya'll I missed ya'll and I though of ya'll!!I think I even had withdrawls at times.

Whew!! I just needed to get that off my chest. I think I need to go revive myself with some post theropy.

Ahh to see the Black and Green,
Vuelve
Vuelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 01:44 PM   #176
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I am here to speak about my soarly low post-per-day count 7.01 what is that?! I'm not too worried about not being here but going from 17.56 postsperday to 7.01 is very shall we say...disappointing.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:09 AM   #177
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
aha if it makes you feel better mine is:

and now I realize that this is an old thread that no one will probably take notice of anymore...No offense Perky.
InklingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 05:54 AM   #178
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

*takes notice*

I recently re-became a Downsaholic. After the movies were through I dropped back on everything Tolkienesque, and I didn't post regularly on the Downs for a long time. But now I'm back to my old habit of haunting Mirth like a particularly attractive plague.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:27 PM   #179
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

***Shameless bump***

THE WITHDRAWL!! ITS TOO MUCH!!!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 02:00 PM   #180
Gil-Galad

Perky, you should pop my mroe often
Old 09-01-2005, 02:43 PM   #181
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
I have to say, I didn't realize how bad I had it until the site complications of yesterday. I was going berserk, and I laughed at my husband when he groaned because the site was back on.
The Perky Ent will have to add a new problem about Tol-in-Gauroth. It's nerve wracking because Enca's game (IX) will be starting Saturday and she said she'd P.M. the secret roles either Friday or today and well, I'm checking my box and nothing! I need to know who I am!!
Old 09-01-2005, 07:36 PM   #182
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil-Galad
Perky, you should pop my mroe often
At least Gil-Galad hasn't changed

but where is trogdor?
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
Old 09-01-2005, 10:37 PM   #183
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Glad to see you back, Perky!

By the way, I think it's time you add a new malady, something related to the Werewolf games. Although I guess you'd have to join in one to know what I'm talking about.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 06:59 PM   #184
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

1420! The DA is meeting again!

THE UN-OFFICIAL DOWNSAHOLIC FIELD GUIDE
(Edited as of 08/04/04)

Symptoms: Worn out Tolkien Books, millions of page markers in books, spams

Problem: It appears that you are suffering from Bookiosis. Bookisos is a rare disease that occurs to serious posters on the Downs and newbies who post in the first Forum they see.

Cure: Unfortunatly, the only cure for Bookiosis so far will not cure you of being a downsaholic. The only known cure for Bookiosis is to either commit to Nov and New, Quiz Room, Middle Earth Mirth, or join an RPG.

Symptoms: Making fun of Newbies, constantly posting things without much though, bordom induced posting

Problem: You are suffering from Novia-et-Newia, a rare disease found in people who have been posting on the downs for a long time. Very rare, yet easily to cure.

Cure: There is one cure. Get a life. Stop tormenting yourself with the pointlessness. It will only make you more of an addict. Just get a life and move on.

Symptoms: Fried eyes, Broken movies and DVD's. Quoting Spasms.

Problem: Yep! It's a textbook case! You are suffering from Movioma. The actual word would be virus, not disease. It starts to consume you as you constantly post in the movies. Constantly checking the EE appendicies looking for comments.

Cure: A easy cury for Movioma is to watch other movies. A lot of other movies. Hopefully, the dranage effect should reduce your urge. If it doesn't, consider watching a really bad movie. It helps to clear your mind.

Symptoms: Obsessive posting, refreshing the forum every 2 seconds, pestering people about missed posts, constantly bumping threads, having ongoing conversations throughout a thread

Problem: Yes, you have it. The most fatal and popular disease currently spreading through the barrow downs faster then any other. You have Quiz Roomitis!

Cure: Sorry, there is no current cure for Quiz Roomitis. Just live the rest of you life to the fullest!

Symptoms: millions of page markers in books, constant search engines running for quotes, friends searching through multible books

Problem: You are Quotaphobic. Not as powerful as Quiz Room-itis, but still powerful.

Cure: If you get someone to hide your books, and let the threads go bye, it should cure the urge.

Symptoms: Knowing too much about the Sil, being too smart

Problem: You suffer from Silmariliapox

Cure: The cure for Silmariliapox is simply to stop being such a nerd. Just don't be a nerd. Ya nerd! God, you're such a nerd!

Symptoms: Forgotten homework assignments, spending all your time on the downs reading, spending weeks on a 5 paragraph post

Problem: You have RPGemia. It is common in a lot of downers and is not easy to cure, as you make a commitment by joining a RPG.

Cure: One cure for RPGemia is going on Hiatus. Taking a break. Saying you'll be out even though you won't. this cure wooks for some, but not others, as they will be caught posting in other forums but not the RPGs. Another harder cure is to balance your time, by placing convient saves and filling them in when you have time. Don't place a save when you know you can't fill it the next day. Also, make a chart of how many day's you have until they kick you out.

Symptoms: Being funny, having humor, having a good time.

Problems: There is nothing wrong with you. By posting in Middle Earth Mirth you prove you're not crazy.

Cure: posting in Middle Earth Mirth is the cure!

Symptoms: Excessive use of the "Who's Online?" page.

Problem: Someone has been abusing their power. You are suffering from Forum Stalkeritis, a drive-bye disease found during excessive posts.

Cure: The only way to prevent ForumStalkeritis from completely consuming you is repeating this everytime you feel the urge to click on the "Who's Online?" page: "I will not click here...I am not a stalker...I am a leader, not a follower." Repeat 10 times for the best results.

Symptoms: Primarily having long, sometimes massively off topic, almost entirely unreadable posts that are filled with stuff from LotR but are just too long and bizarre to even attempt reading. I myself have done this and, without offending anyone else, can honestly say I have seen posts like this from others (won't say who *whistles innocently*)

Problem: Hyperpostitis.

Cure: Probably a simple toning it down. Long, thought-out posts are always encouraged, but after you've written such an epic monstrousity, take moment to read it over and make sure it is comprehendable

Symptoms: You have become so attached to the Downs and its members that you are terrified of being shunned, even though the fact is unlikely, and thus never post anything controversial, interesting, argumentative, or even as far as your own views because you're afriad someone will disagree

Problem: Barrowostriphobia, a deep rooted fear of earning dislike from any member of the Downs in the form of 'cold-shoulder giving' or ostricism

Cure: Just take a deep breath, wait for the oppurtunity to rise, and post as any person would. Don't be afriad if you're wrong or if someone doesn't agree. Unless you do something really stupid, you're on the right track (if you have done something really stupid, be afraid...be very, very afraid)

Symptoms: An endless list of forum links in your favorites, a link to your own site, highlighted links clicked in other peoples links lists...

Problem: Forumitis

Cure: So far, no known cures, as I believe that I am one of the first noted cases. However, if you delete all the links, disconnect the internet, (Save to go on Barrow-downs...) and invest in a ton of books to mark out quotes, you may at least fall you one of the other noted sicknesses. Other then that, I can offer no hope to those who suffer forumitis.

Symptoms: Spasms, Constant checking of the "Who's Online", excessive use of the refresh button

Problem: You suffer who Stalkatoma. It is a occuring case in which you stalk other users. It causes no harm to you, but a little to your reputation.

Cure: Just tell yourself, "They should be stalking me!" twenty times then get a slow internet connection, forcing less use of the refresh button.

Symptoms: posting so fast that you see the message that says: The Administrator has made it so you can only post every 30 seconds.

Problem: You suffer from postaplexy. Postaplexy happens when you type your posts to fast, or so short, that when you go to post your next, you click post before the 30 second wait period. This disease is found mostly in The Quiz Room.

Cure: A very simple cure. After you post, take a minute to read it over after posting, to check for errors. Then, take a deep breath, slowly clear your mind, and move on the the next thread!

Symptoms: Having several pages of the downs up at the same time

Problem: You suffer from compulsive thread syndrome. It happens when you are searching, reading, or posting in 2 or more forums at the same time. It is mostly found Middle Earth fun and games, as well as RPG's for those who are in the Shire, Rohan, and maybe even Gondor.

Cure: What's the rush? It won't be gone in a second, unless it's in Fun and Games, in which case, just say "so what" and move on!

The DA is back! If you suffer from these things, please let us know, so that we might help you enjoy them
And of a special note: Please welcome Rune son of Bjarne to Downsaholics Anonymous! He suffers from Quiz Romitis, and needs your support.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:49 AM   #185
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf Cute leaf!

Quote:
Symptoms: Being funny, having humor, having a good time.
Problems: There is nothing wrong with you. By posting in Middle Earth Mirth you prove you're not crazy.
Cure: posting in Middle Earth Mirth is the cure!
Something I once had.

Quote:
Symptoms: An endless list of forum links in your favorites, a link to your own site, highlighted links clicked in other peoples links lists...
Problem: Forumitis
Cure: So far, no known cures, as I believe that I am one of the first noted cases. However, if you delete all the links, disconnect the internet, (Save to go on Barrow-downs...) and invest in a ton of books to mark out quotes, you may at least fall you one of the other noted sicknesses. Other then that, I can offer no hope to those who suffer forumitis.
Oooh, I've definitely had that for a long time.

I have one of the worst diseases of all. The one where you cease to post entirely. Not out of lack of interest or things to say, but I just seem to have frozen. Maybe I have a touch of Barrowostriphobia.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:48 PM   #186
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Ah. Barrow-Downs sterilization? Hmm...I think there's a cure. We'll need to get you 800ML of Mirth, stat!