The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-06-2004, 09:07 AM   #1
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree Others? What Others?

While reading through vBulletin 3.0 Gold Questions, I came across a statement that I have been wondering myself
Quote:
Miriel Undomiel: Just One question: what are these 'groups'? I've got a box in my user cp asking me to jain the Angmar Clan. What is this???
To which the Barrow-Wight replied
Quote:
It's nothing. Ignore it. If it becomes something, we'll let everyone know.
What first intrigued me was the fact that he said "others". What bothered me was that, as far as I know, The Barrow-Wight is the only member of "The Angmar Clan". To check my info, I started looking up the Admins, but they weren't part of "The Clan"! Are there others? Are we alone?

Second is another mysterious group. While looking through the View Forum Leaders section, which can be found right under Haudh-en-Ndengin, I noticed something weird. Another group exsist. One called Mod Gorthad. It seemes to be just like to Moderators list, but what's this!?! The Barrow-Wight and Mithadan are missing! What who else is there!?! Amanduial the Archer and Aylwen Dreamsong! Now nothing against those two. In my opinion, they work hard enough to be mods! My question is, why are they there? Is this some kind of secret Barrow-Downs conspiricy? The truth must be revealed!

Anyone with info related to the topic is much apreciated!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 10:32 AM   #2
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots crypts

No, Perky, this is not the BD-Files; however much we want to believe (in Middle earth), the truth is right here and there is no Cigarette Smoking Man, just some wraiths who don't even get to enjoy pipeweed.

Mod Gorthad is a sub-forum under Site Administration, the one for moderators. There is also a sub-forum called Tyrn Gothad (name of the downlands east of the Old Forest, the barrow downs burial ground) for the site Administrators (Barrow Wight, Sharkey, Mithadan, Mr. Underhill, Thenamir, Gilthalion). On the old UBB software, these sub-forums could be seen by everyone. Now only the members see it. For instance, I can no longer see Tyrn Gorthad, just as most of you no longer see Mod Gorthad. As far as I know, this is just a kink in the new software.

The moderators use Mod G, as we call it, to contact each other with questions about the daily operation of the site, notices of their own schedules, and the like. It is here that the Barrow Wight asks for nominations for new personal titles and here where we discuss any problem threads or posts or signatures. We also discuss software issues like bandwidth and thread length and plan the Barrow Downs birthday party. This is much easier than using PMs because it allows for group discussion. And, no, there is no daily happy hour when we all meet and make nonsense, chat posts and no TGIF party--more like a moldering barrow where sickly spirits commune with deathly wraiths about the skeletal parts of the Downs.

Why are Aman and Aylwen also in Mod G? Because of the work they do helping to run the two rpg fora, The Shire and Rohan. The fact that the Barrow Wight and Mithadan are missing from the list is likely just forgetfulness. They are very scary types and we would like to forget about them sometimes. Have you seen Mithadan's chat wight picture?
Old 09-07-2004, 11:35 AM   #3
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril 'The Other'?

...as I suppose that's what I therefore am

Firstly, let me express how glad I am that you don't have anything against myself or Aylwen! But yes, we were placed there fairly recently, as we were allowed access to Mod Gorthad on the old Barrowdowns forum. The reason we are allowed entry is because, basically, we are the 'Innkeepers' in the RPG forums: myself in the Shire's 'Green Dragon', Aylwen in Rohan's 'White Horse'. This includes obviously the longest running RPG parts on the Downs! But along with this came the added duties of helping Bethberry, Child of the Seventh Age and Piosenniel with reviews and games etc. Recently I haven't been doing as much (and neither has Aylwen I think) due to our own holidays, and commitments both on the Internet and in RL - and in the next year things may have to be a little quiet for me for the same reason, as I have my GCSEs (national exams set at the end of year 11 in Britain) in May...but nonetheless, there you have it.

Although if Fox Moulder ever decides to join us, you know...
Old 09-07-2004, 04:46 PM   #4
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

White Tree

Fox Moulder?
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
Old 09-07-2004, 05:10 PM   #5
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
X-Files... a sci-fi detective show, lasted about 5-6 years if i'm correct... anyway they had 1 movie which was okay i guess... but the shows dealed mainly with aliens and many otehr paranormal creatures...
Old 09-07-2004, 05:16 PM   #6
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

White Tree

1) That still doesn't expalin who Fox Mouler is!

2) Aman, when you say "on the old forum", does that mean there's the old version of the downs, but only available to you mods (and hardworking innkeepers)?
Old 09-07-2004, 05:54 PM   #7
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
My question is, why are they there? Is this some kind of secret Barrow-Downs conspiricy?
Yes it is.

Quote:
While looking through the View Forum Leaders section
I never knew that existed. Thanks!

Quote:
Firstly, let me express how glad I am that you don't have anything against myself or Aylwen!
I second that sentiment!

Quote:
1) That still doesn't expalin who Fox Mouler is!
A character on the X-Files show.

Quote:
2) Aman, when you say "on the old forum", does that mean there's the old version of the downs, but only available to you mods (and hardworking innkeepers)?
I know you said Aman...but...I believe when she says "on the old forum" she means the Mod Gorthad that existed on the old version of the Barrow Downs.

-Aylwen
Old 09-07-2004, 05:57 PM   #8
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

White Tree

Ohhhh! thanks Aylwen! BTW, nice location
Old 09-07-2004, 08:41 PM   #9
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Well, even though it doesn't seem to be a conspiracy (unfortunately ), I have to hand it to you for your detective skills, Perky!
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 01:02 PM   #10
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
I just hope everyone is joking when they say they don't know who Fox Mulder is ...or when they say X Files is sci fi...
*shrugs, goes back to lovingly wipe imaginary bits of dust from her stack of X Files cds*
Old 09-08-2004, 04:43 PM   #11
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe <-- So says the (pipeweed) smoking man

Quote:
Well, even though it doesn't seem to be a conspiracy ...
Don't you believe it. The truth is out there, but you have to have access rights to find it ...
Old 09-08-2004, 05:00 PM   #12
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

White Tree

Hmm...that gives me three options:

1) I become a hacker and hack the system
2) I prove myself to be the best of the best, the top notch, the best there ever was, is , or will be, or
3) Kill all the important people, forcing me to be the only one left

Hmm....I think I'll try 2 for now.... *foreshadowing*
Old 09-08-2004, 05:06 PM   #13
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye The Lair of Sharkû

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perky Ent
I become a hacker and hack the system
There is but one hidden pass into Mod Gorthad, and 'tis guarded by a dread creature ...
Old 09-08-2004, 05:10 PM   #14
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

White Tree

In light of that statment, I have come up with option 4:

Option 4: Create 2 jewels embodying the light of the sun and moon, then destory the sun and moon. Then, when the valar beg me for my jewels, I will accept on the terms that they show me the way into Mod Gorthad! I bet I could get Ulmo to help with that one!