The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-23-2003, 03:03 AM   #1
Anndvasawen

White-Hand The Elves

Hey Everybody!

I've decided to write my very first post about the Elves. This race, I know, is loved by many, many Lord of the Rings fans and is considered also by many the best race of Middle-earth. I love the Elves above all the other races Tolkien created because they, as he describes them, are one of the oldest, wisest and definitely the fairest beings. Because this race fascinates me the most, I did some research and here is me report:

The Elves, described in the book as fair, beautiful, tall and gentle, have a very close bond with nature. They live in airy and spacious homes, designed and built with the greatest care and the finest details. The Elves forged powerful weapons, light as a feather but more powerfulthan any others. The Elves are emotional and possess extreme sorrow and happiness. Although they are immortal and do not physically age, they do age in their souls, but they only grow more beautiful and wiser. The Elves speak fluently and their voices sound like the soft chiming of bells. They were the first race to speak and sing songs. The Elves normally had fair, light features. Blonde hair and a fair complextion. Princess Arwen, though, had rare and unusual darker beauty.

Tolkien definitely didn't imagine the Elves as fairies with pretty shimmering wings and magical wands. In fact, the Elves can be dangerous and powerful as well as gentle and mellow.

Thnak you for reading me first post and take care. Please don't forget to vote for me as a member!

Thank you very much.

Anndvasawen

Rescources: www.lordoftherings.net
Old 03-23-2003, 03:20 AM   #2
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Welcome to the Downs! This will probably be moved to novices and newcomers as soon as one of the admins or moderators sees it. Possibly closed too since it really has no point and is just taking up space. So to prevent it from being closed I advise you spark up a discussion (about elves I guess) for this thread. Good luck to you and enjoy being dead! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 11:23 AM   #3
Anndvasawen

Sting

Hey MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie

I think you had better watch what you say. I really couldn't care if you're a pathetic 'op' or whatever stupid rank you are in. You aren't more important than me at all, so just hold your tongue and let mje do what I want. I've actually had it up to HERE with you stupid operators, monoters etc bosses and ruling over others. I'll write where, how and what I wnat, thank you very much and there's nothing you and your stupid Internet freak buddies can do about it. Really, you make Barrowdowns.com have a very bad name.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:41 AM   #4
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey Anndvasawen,

First of all, welcome and enjoy being dead!

Second, MLD is quite right about what he says in his post, though maybe said in rash words. The rules are that introductions should be in a designed thread in the 'Novices & Newcomers-section'. Of course you're free to discuss with other members whenever you will in all sections. Yet, since you haven't started a discussion, but given information (btw: thanks, maybe you're able to start a discussion about you're findings) this thread may be closed when an OP looks into this thread. This part of the forum just is for discussions only.

greetings,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 11:46 AM   #5
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Quote:
I think you had better watch what you say. I really couldn't care if you're a pathetic 'op' or whatever stupid rank you are in. You aren't more important than me at all, so just hold your tongue and let mje do what I want. I've actually had it up to HERE with you stupid operators, monoters etc bosses and ruling over others. I'll write where, how and what I wnat, thank you very much and there's nothing you and your stupid Internet freak buddies can do about it. Really, you make Barrowdowns.com have a very bad name.
Saying something like that is probably not the best way to get excepted into a website community. Feel free to try if you want, though.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:54 AM   #6
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie I don’t know if I agree [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ! I think it was a nice article she wrote (well that is the first one). It has to do with elves and middle-earth, does it not? It was a good article just placed in the wrong place! Anndvasawen I thought your article was very nice but maybe next time you write an article maybe place it in novices and newcomers (A place where new comers place there articles to try it out) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] . Oh and MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie I didn’t get what meant by saying “enjoy being dead” ….. ummm what [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] ? And Anndvasawen next time maybe you should control yourself! The Wight’s are very important people and they are actually very nice people [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]! And remember respect others and they will respect you [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]!
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 11:56 AM   #7
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

"Enjoy being dead" isn't that as in the theme of the BDs? Death?
Old 03-24-2003, 12:13 PM   #8
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Eruanna has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Indeed it is. The Barrow Downs was a place of the dead where Frodo, Merry and Pippin became trapped and had to be rescued by good old Tom Bombadil. Hence our little titles (Pile 'o Bones, Haunting Spirit, Wight etc)
One of the most attractive things about this site (in my humble opinion [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ) is the respect and courtesy shown to all members. Especially when new to the Downs and finding one's way around.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:51 PM   #9
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

Thank you Eruanna I never knew that about the meaning of "Enjoy being dead". Lol I thought he was saying to her that she is going to be dead lol .... silly me! I am suprised at you Eruanna, I thought you would be all angry at her for saying those things about you .... I supose you do get calm happy really nice people out there like you .... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 12:53 PM   #10
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Yes, convert me to calmness....please..... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2003, 06:49 PM   #11
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Hey, to be fair, I don't think that MLD meant to be rude. He was just making the point that this forum is for discussions of Tolkien-related matters, rather than articles, and suggesting that Anndvasawen start up a discussion to keep the thread going. Nothing wrong in that. The "enjoy being dead" point has been addressed (we are all dead here), and he finished his post with a [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] , which is generally meant as a friendly gesture.

So let's not be too harsh on MLD.

Welcome to the Downs, Anndvasawen. I suggest that you look through a few threads to get the feel of the place. We are a friendly bunch really and the mods here do an exceptionally good job. Enjoy your time here, and have fun. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2003, 07:33 PM   #12
Scott
Wight

Scott has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Scott
Tolkien

Welcome to the Downs, Anndvasawen. And don't be too upset if this gets moved. I'm sure most of us have had a topic moved at some point or another. I know I did about a week ago. It's not really the end of the world [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2003, 08:45 PM   #13
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Yes, me too. As a matter of fact *blushes* I think I've had multiple ones that were mine or at least I participated in closed within the last few weeks... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2003, 10:14 PM   #14
Anndvasawen

Sting

Hey!

Thank you for telling me. I new, so I didn't know. I'm sorry, it's just I don't like to think I'm being ruled by other users. Thanks again for telling me what 'enjoy being dead' means because I did take it as a great insult at first.

Peace,

Anndvasawen
Old 03-24-2003, 10:59 PM   #15
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Welcome, Anndvasawen! You've certainly gotten quite a few responses to your first thread. Since this isn't an in-depth book discussion, and has turned into a kind of "Lesson 1" in posting on the Downs, I'm moving it to the Novices and Newcomers forum. Please check out the Forum FAQ thread on that forum as well, since it gives you much of the basic information you need to find your way around. Enjoy yourself!

[ March 25, 2003: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 12:49 AM   #16
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Seems like Anndvasawen misunderstood me. I'll explain in a PM.
Quote:
I'm sorry
Apology accepted. I meant in no way shape or form to be offensive or to insult you. Thank you to everyone who stood up for me. I hope we understand each other now, and enjoy being dead [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ...

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 03:51 AM   #17
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

uuh... yeh....
back to the elves...
I agree with what you said. Elves are as powerful and dangerous as they are beautiful and fair. Elves weren't always wise and truthful either. Remember the burning of ships and the kinslaying? [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 03:43 PM   #18
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

kittiewhirl1677 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiewhirl1677
Sting

Elves, I think, are the coolest of all beings in Middle Earth. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2003, 04:46 PM   #19
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

What is really the discussion here? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

~Menelien
Old 05-16-2003, 12:52 PM   #20
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hmmm...dunno, GaladrieloftheOlden! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Elves, I guess. *gives a confused smile and shrugs* [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 01:25 PM   #21
the witch king
Wight

the witch king has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Dont know, think Elves come across as a bit stuck up sometimes, like king Thingol but my favourite Tolkien character is Feanor and you cant get much more stuck up than him!!
Old 05-19-2003, 11:36 AM   #22
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

LOL, Witch-King

Yeah, I agree (as much as I love the Elves I agree [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img])that they do get a bit stuck-up!
My favorite Elf is...let me see...Galadriel. She's full of mystery! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 01:48 PM   #23
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

Hmmmmmmm.....

My favorite Elf in LOTR is either:

Elrond
As he has had much tragedy in his long life

Arwen
As she literally gave up everything to be with Aragorn

OR

Galadriel
As she is mysterious and downright cryptic at times!!!

[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

[ May 25, 2003: Message edited by: Arathiriel ]
Old 05-25-2003, 02:16 PM   #24
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

my favourite elf is feanor. come on, he made the silmarils! he started the war against morgoth. so he became a bit evil on the way, it happens. he is the number one elf.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 02:52 AM   #25
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Quote:
so he became a bit evil on the way.
A bit? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
I really like the idea of Elves in general, but I'm not sure i could [ick a favorite one... if I had to, it would probably be Elrond or Glorfindel. I don't know why. They just seem... oh I don't know, I like them [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

~Menelien
Old 05-28-2003, 08:16 AM   #26
Afrodal Fenyar
Haunting Spirit

Afrodal Fenyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Heh. Somebody gives an advice --> it's bossing. Yeah right. Thank god one can't write here whatever he or she wants. Well, guess I'd better stop, no point in talking about this anymore..

But anyways, my favourite elf is Fëanor. Same reasons what the guy who be short posted. As a character he's also got some personality, he's not pure good nor pure evil, as many others are.

~Eomer
Afrodal Fenyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 01:34 PM   #27
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Hello all,
Just thought I would give you a few threads where some things such as The Most Awesome Elf and Who's Your Favorite Race?, since that's the direction this thread seems to be headed.
I do, however, quite like the elves as a whole because they are noble, valiant, and beautiful. The young fire that was in them at the beginning was also especially exciting, and their love for nature and music echoes my own. Their 'fading' away lends them a wistful air and, being a hopeless romantic, I find this quality very appealing. The ancient lore and knowledge that they have gives them a sense of otherness, and they are very mysterious in a way not wholly safe. To put it in the words of C.S. Lewis, they are not tame lions. So that, in a nutshell, is why I like the elves. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Peace