The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2008, 01:57 AM   #3081
Maedhros_the_Tall
Haunting Spirit

Location: North East of England, currently at university in South West Scotland.
Maedhros_the_Tall has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maedhros_the_Tall Send a message via Yahoo to Maedhros_the_Tall
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
*chuckles* Legate, do you have any idea how long it took me to figure out who Amon was? *puts her Theodred wig on for effect* Woooow. I'm a FoaT.

By the way, welcome, Maedhros. I'm Sally (I say this before you start calling me Stan like Kath did for a bit )
Maybe I should go for Stan, there is a precedent after all!
Maedhros_the_Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:31 AM   #3082
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Well you have my apologies Sally but what comes more naturally from 'satansaloser' ... stan or sally? Mmhm, thought so. But I'm happy enough having changed Lommy's name.

Anyway, welcome Maedhros! Please call her stan, it will make me laugh!
Old 06-06-2008, 05:46 AM   #3083
Maedhros_the_Tall
Haunting Spirit

Location: North East of England, currently at university in South West Scotland.
Send a message via MSN to Maedhros_the_Tall Send a message via Yahoo to Maedhros_the_Tall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Well you have my apologies Sally but what comes more naturally from 'satansaloser' ... stan or sally? Mmhm, thought so. But I'm happy enough having changed Lommy's name.

Anyway, welcome Maedhros! Please call her stan, it will make me laugh!
Stan it is then!
Old 06-06-2008, 05:46 AM   #3084
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I'm the infamous Lommy person she's talking about. Just if it was confusing you as it's not the most logical nickname you can derive from my username.

Anyway, (a rather late) welcome to the 'downs, Maedhros! Enjoy your stay. If you post enough, Kath may compose a nickname for you too...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:25 AM   #3085
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I'm the infamous Lommy person she's talking about. Just if it was confusing you as it's not the most logical nickname you can derive from my username.
I remember that I was slightly annoyed with people calling you Lommy, way back when. . .I wanted to call you Thin or something of the sorts.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:32 AM   #3086
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Stan it is then!
Perfect!

Quote:
Pshaw! It's perfectly logical. You just have to live in my head for the links to be clear.

Quote:
I remember that I was slightly annoyed with people calling you Lommy, way back when. . .I wanted to call you Thin or something of the sorts.
Ah, but she didn't like the nickname Thin. See, I was being nice.

Quote:
If you post enough, Kath may compose a nickname for you too...
Tough one, tough one. I can only think of Maddy which works only if you're female. You're not are you?
Old 06-06-2008, 07:57 AM   #3087
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Maddy! Lommy! Why was it Stan, then? Sally makes a lot more sense given this pattern, Katty!

(You have the problem, however, that it's not that "kosher": your name is not long enough.)

Speaking of that, I think Thin won't have been better, Rubby

(of course I originally thought Runny, but Rubby is more complex and describing it all. Or then, Russy... or Russby... but that's leaning away from the pattern. Okay, I am already overdoing it.)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:36 AM   #3088
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I cannot remember if it was Thin, Thinno, Thinlo or Thinkagainmate. . .I just remember it had something to do with the begining of the name.

Rubby? why prolong my name? btw it sounds like Rubbish, but maybe that was your intention.

Rune, Runey (Rooney) or in very rare cases "RUN FORREST RUN" are the main choises of the downers.

Anyways I forgot to greet our newcomer before. . .Welcome to the downs, may your years here prove to be a rotten afair.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:45 AM   #3089
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Quote:
Maddy! Lommy! Why was it Stan, then? Sally makes a lot more sense given this pattern, Katty!
I explained this. satansaloser - stan comes from that a lot easier than sally!
Old 06-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #3090
Maedhros_the_Tall
Haunting Spirit

Quote:
Tough one, tough one. I can only think of Maddy which works only if you're female. You're not are you?
Ach, sorry to disappoint, but I'm definitely not female, your going to have to try harder

And thank you for the welcomes
Old 06-06-2008, 02:33 PM   #3091
Agent Elrond
Newly Deceased

Agent Elrond has just left Hobbiton.
Agent Elrond reporting here, I became a LotR nut after seeing the Fellowship of the Ring and have since became completely fascinated by all things Middle-Earth. I just hope i don't embarrass myself on these forums too much
Old 06-06-2008, 03:22 PM   #3092
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Welcome to the Downs Agent Elrond (loving the sig)

and of course Maedhros_the_Tall (mathy, Tally, Mally, ros, etc.), who I didn't get a chance to welcome before.

Rubby!
Old 06-06-2008, 05:41 PM   #3093
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Welcome, Agent Elrond! Hope your stay is long and pleasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Ah, but she didn't like the nickname Thin. See, I was being nice.
No, I don't really like it because it's an adjective I've definitely never identified with (except maybe as a premature baby born almost two months too early, but I guess I didn't identify with any word back then )... Besides, if one thinks of the mere sounds of words "thin" and "lommy", the latter sounds much more like how I am. Okay, now I'm getting carried away and semi-philosophical... But anyway, I don't mind being called Thin (as long as it's not the common way of addressing me) as it's very nostalgic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune
Rubby? why prolong my name? btw it sounds like Rubbish, but maybe that was your intention.
I agree that's it bad: it sounds similar to the way people talk about b-level Swedish studies here...

As for Maedhros... I can really only think of "Meady"... or "Maedy" (or maybe even "Mayday"? )... or Maedhry or Maedhri (latter one looks better in my opinion, but it might look more alien to you English-speakers)...
Old 06-06-2008, 05:45 PM   #3094
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Quote:
Maedhri
Ooh, I like this one. Though for eases sake I would probably go with Maedy.

Ah! And welcome Agent Elrond. Nice to see so many new faces.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:23 PM   #3095
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Elrond View Post
Agent Elrond reporting here, I became a LotR nut after seeing the Fellowship of the Ring and have since became completely fascinated by all things Middle-Earth. I just hope i don't embarrass myself on these forums too much
Welcome Agent Elrond, and don't worry about embarrassing youreself we do it all the time!
Old 06-06-2008, 07:41 PM   #3096
Olórin the White
Newly Deceased

Olórin the White has just left Hobbiton.
well hello there. I've trolled around on Tolkien forums for years and never really been compelled to post, but I was at last prompted to after reading some discussions over The Hobbit and film adaptations
I greatly look forward to being in community with other ardent fans of Tolkien's genius!
Olórin the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:13 PM   #3097
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Welcome to the Downs, Olórin the White, it looks like we're getting a surge of new members!
Old 06-06-2008, 08:15 PM   #3098
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Hmmm...people...
Old 06-06-2008, 08:36 PM   #3099
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ohhhh, dear....Hehe Kath, you're welcome to call me Stan....so long as I'm welcome to lynch you.... Kidding, KIDDING! *gives sister Kath some special tea....*

Nah, I understand, but seeings how I'm a girl and all (I think that actually confused someone. Don't remember who, but the first game I was in someone kept referring to me as a male and I kept having the urge to lynch Stan so I could have my account all to myself)
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:07 AM   #3100
Maedhros_the_Tall
Haunting Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
As for Maedhros... I can really only think of "Meady"... or "Maedy" (or maybe even "Mayday"? )... or Maedhry or Maedhri (latter one looks better in my opinion, but it might look more alien to you English-speakers)...

No no, Maedhri is good! I like it! Sounds cool to be honest!
Old 06-08-2008, 04:27 AM   #3101
TeleriFan
Newly Deceased

TeleriFan has just left Hobbiton.
Hey I'm Maya and I just joined the forums....
I became a JRRT fan when i saw the LOTR trilogy and since then i have read The Hobbit and I'm still busy reading The Silm.
TeleriFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:25 AM   #3102
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
How about Maedi or Madi (or Medi for that matter).

And welcome TeleriFan
Old 06-09-2008, 11:32 AM   #3103
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Welsome, Olórin and TeleriFan! Enjoy your stay.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #3104
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
She's Back!!!

I have been somewhat neglecting the Barrow-Downs for the past two months because of musicals and Facebook and vacations and my computer at home not working, so I thought that it might be a good thing if I introduced myself once more into the wonderfully dead land of the Barrow Wights...

Here I am!
Old 06-10-2008, 04:11 AM   #3105
Maedhros_the_Tall
Haunting Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
How about Maedi or Madi (or Medi for that matter).

And welcome TeleriFan
Lol, any of the ones suggested are fine by me but Maedhri is my personal favourite at the moment! Does that rule it out of the running?

Don't know if I've been here long enough to get away with this, but, welcome TeleriFan!
Old 06-10-2008, 10:02 AM   #3106
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Welcome back, TGEW! I thought that we had lost you for good in the land of the living, but I'm glad that you have returned to the land of the dead!

Welcome, TeleriFan. I say there certainly are a bunch of you new people arriving.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:16 PM   #3107
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Welcome back, TGEW! I thought that we had lost you for good in the land of the living, but I'm glad that you have returned to the land of the dead!
Oh no, you haven't lost me... I have just recently acquired myself a Facebook and that has kept me busy and plus my computer is acting funny, but I am at my grandparents house right now and I have a computer all to myself because of their excess of computers... also I discovered the Chronicles of Narnia again...

But thanks for the welcome!
Old 06-11-2008, 10:27 AM   #3108
stowni
Newly Deceased

stowni has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf well hello!!

heya, im hannah... dont really know what to say really :S but hello x
Old 06-11-2008, 11:17 AM   #3109
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Hi Hannah! Or stowni. I see you're a Kentish lass too, whereabouts are you in our fine county? Also, welcome to the 'Downs, hope you stay with us.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:23 AM   #3110
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Welcome, stowni. Enjoy being dead.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #3111
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
I say there certainly are a bunch of you new people arriving.
Yes...good....goooood.

Here, drink some kool-aid. We all do.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:58 PM   #3112
Feanathiel
Newly Deceased

Feanathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Hello all! So I'm actually the same person as Olorin the White...but I found a user name I prefer so I've switched to a new account
Feanathiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:06 PM   #3113
Siiw
Newly Deceased

Siiw has just left Hobbiton.
Hi there 8)

I am Norwegian, a florist, and have read everything apart from the history of middle earth. I think these books are some of the most inspiring works i have ever read.
Siiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:15 PM   #3114
SemperHobbit
Newly Deceased

SemperHobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Well, Hello!

Greetings Barrowdowns!
My name is Candise Rose, but just Rose is fine. I am 20 years old, and I love books of all types and genres, but (as I am sure is the case with everyone here), LOTR has always been my favorite series. Currently, I am serving in the United States Marine Corps, which, combined with college and scraps of a social life, has kept my hands pretty tied for quite some time. However, ive had the oppportunity for some good downtime this past month, and I spent it re-reading my favorite trilogy which, got me all motivated to get back into foruming, and thats how I came to be here! Lets see..my favorite character(s) would have to be Samwise and Eowyn, and the Tolkien book that I intend to work on next is Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.
SemperHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:21 PM   #3115
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Downtime...heh heh. Sure you don't mean downs-time?
Old 06-24-2008, 06:27 PM   #3116
SemperHobbit
Newly Deceased

SemperHobbit has just left Hobbiton.
(Insert comical drum and cymbal here)
ba-dum tssh!
SemperHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:30 PM   #3117
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Gwath that's terrible! Don't scare the newbies away.

Welcome to the 'Downs Semper. Glad you've got a chance to re-read, been meaning to get round to that myself.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:39 PM   #3118
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

Welcome to the downs SemperHobbit! Thank you so much for your service to your country!!! I hope to see you around patroling the forums!
Old 06-24-2008, 06:44 PM   #3119
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Gwath that's terrible! Don't scare the newbies away.
I thought it was rather good.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:46 PM   #3120
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
I thought it was rather good.
Hey I said it was terrible, not that it wasn't funny. It's a Christmas cracker type joke, and they're the best.