The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-22-2005, 01:59 PM   #1
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree What did the movies do for you?

This is kind of one of those reflective discussions, on what the movies did for you? Or perhaps what lessons/morals you learned from them? Did they serve as entertainment, seeing large scale battles or the story unfold between your eyes?

Well, for me personally, you might say it restored my passion for LOTR. This is probably the biggest reason why I have loved the movies so much. I had first read the books when I was younger (still in highschool), my dad got me 'em for Christmas and my birthday. I read them, and like most other books I read...read them once and stuck them on this wooden shelf that I had made. Of course, they passed out of all knowledge into I hear there are movies made on them.

I get the new edition that came out with all three books combined in one and read them over again...and now I'm sure you can all see the rest of the story? Basically, I got hooked. It got me wondering whether other people had a "restored love" for the books when the movies came out or not? Or perhaps it got you to read and experience JRR Tolkien's books?

Then there's what did you learn from the movies? This comes from my recently viewing Kingdom of Heaven, which besides the lack of a leading actor (:cough:Orlando Bloom:cough, was a pretty good movie that had important lessons behind it. (I don't wish to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it). So, that got me thinking of what did you learn from the movies? Was it something that's similar to what Tolkien's morals were that even the smallest people can change the course of the world? Or did they get you to understand the books better?

Because, when I first read the books, and read them after learning about the movies, or even watched the movies Boromir really wasn't my favorite character. I was a Gandalf/Gimli guy. Then Boromir (and the wonderful performance by Sean Bean), kind of grew on me and I began to notice all these other reasons why to like Boromir then just for his fault in being tempted by the Ring.

So, again...what did the movies do for you? What did you learn, any important lessons? How did it help you understand the book better? All that reflective stuff that we all love.