The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2003, 05:44 PM   #41
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>As a (very amature ) writer myself, I can understand being more than a bit miffed at the slightest change. Maybe a line he was really proud of that wasn't included, a minor character that he was very fond of who was left out...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>My thoughts exactly. I think Tolkien would have been disappointed with some of the changes (removal of numerous characters, extreme character alterations of others...), but overall would have enjoyed the movies. The hype surrounding them is what he'd hate (and this is just what I think). <P>What I want to know is if we're talking about if Tolkien lived until the movies came out, or if he were pulled from the 1950's when the books were first published. This would change his opinion drastically.<P>If he were pulled here from the 50's and saw the movies, he would be stunned. Technology has advanced so much between then and now, and he would be amazed at some of the unusual scenes, characters, and locations. Personally, and if this were the case, I think he would wonder where we procured a Balrog and the Nazguls' steeds, not to mention the Eye. And where did we get hobbits and orcs? <P>In either of the above stated cases, I think some things would touch him positively: the locations, dedication to detail (scale, ethnic differences in items, etc.), costumes, and of course the wonderful score. Some of these may have been able to amend for the (rather tragic) plot changes that PJ inserted. <P>But, as a writer and artist, I think he would respect the creative liberties that PJ took. He might not have liked them, but he can understand that not everyone would have the same vision as he did. Of course, if Tolkien had been alive until this time, and PJ is as devoted to the books as he says he is, he would have gone to the Professor for advice on producing his masterwork. As an aspiring author myself, I know I wouldn't like anyone wantonly changing my work for no good reason. <P>I don't think Tolkien would have hated the movies; he would have liked them, but would have been a little disappointed that PJ hadn't been true to the original work.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:44 AM   #42
secretfire
Pile O'Bones

secretfire has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Imagine you were Tolkien. What would you say about:<P>1. Cate Blanchett as Galadriel<BR>2. The portrayal of Galadriel
Old 06-09-2003, 06:33 AM   #43
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Sting

I think he would have liked some of it, but not all. I think he would have been dissapointed that Tom Bombadil wasn't in the first movie...I was.....But hey, I'm not Tolkien!
Old 06-10-2003, 12:58 AM   #44
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

Location: Wellington, New Zealand (Middle-Earth Baby Yeah!!!)
Frodo 007 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I think Tolkien would have been impressed with the movies!Im not sure how he would like all the hype up over it though but i think he would be proud!