The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2002, 01:03 PM   #1
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Question Language - Swedish

I was on Sagan om Ringen

Now, I don't know Swedish nor Finnish, but I am guessing that Sagan om Ringen doesn't mean "Lord of the Rings". I think that it means Saga of the Rings.

What is Lord of the Rings in Swedish? Why has the name been changed? Hope someone could help me here. Thanks.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 02:59 PM   #2
nocke7

Boots

The title "Sagan om ringen", which means The Saga of the Ring, was chosen by Åke Ohlmarks, who first translated the books to Swedish in 1959. The reason for his choice I don't know. Since then it has been the title in Swedish of the first book, as well as of the whole trilogy. The film in Sweden also has the title "Sagan om ringen", but in the posters is also written "Härskarringen", which is one of many possibilities to directly translate "The Lord of the Rings" into Swedish. Other possibilities would have been "Ringarnas härskare", eller "Ringarnas herre". By the way, for some reason I have always before thought of the English title as alluding to Sauron, instead of "The One". [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2002, 03:07 PM   #3
Carannillion
Wight

Carannillion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Umm, doesn't "Härskarringen" actually mean "The Ruling Ring", "the Lord's Ring" or "The Ring of the Lord" or something like that? It's definetely not a direct translation of "Lord of the Rings".

[ May 13, 2002: Message edited by: Carannillion ]
Old 05-13-2002, 03:45 PM   #4
nocke7

Thumbs up

Well, perhaps I shouldn't have written "direct", but the meaning is similar. As for myself I would have preferred the last example. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2002, 03:07 PM   #5
Elendur
Wight

Elendur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elendur
Sting

Quote:
By the way, for some reason I have always before thought of the English title as alluding to Sauron, instead of "The One".
Gerontius, the english title The Lord of The Rings does refer to Sauron. You could argue that Eru is the Lord of everything, but Sauron is the Lord of The Rings.

P.S. If I misunderstood what you were trying to say, sorry.
Old 05-21-2002, 12:10 PM   #6
nocke7

Sting

Thank you Elendur! By "the One" I was referring to the Ring. The Swedish title (not mine) "härskarringen" that I mentioned above definitely refers to the ring. The more appropriate translation "Ringarnas herre" is ambiguous in Swedish, where "herre" = Lord could be used for the person who is the master of the rings, but also for the One that is the master of the other rings. If you say so I suppose the reference is obvious in English. When I come to think of it I'm not quite sure that the subtitle "Härskarringen" in the Swedish movie posters is an attempt to translate LOTR, perhaps its a fantasy title used instead of "The Fellowship of the Ring".