The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-26-2003, 11:34 PM   #1
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Earendil Halfelven has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Is Mordor language the Maiar language?

I was just wondering about Sauron's language. Since he is a maiar, could the language he speaks be similar to the language of other Maiar or could it also be the language of the Maiar? I was thinking that since Sauron was a servant of Melkor that Mordor language is probably similar to that of the Maiar and probably the Valar. What do you think?
Old 02-27-2003, 01:02 AM   #2
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This a copied from a section on an interesting web page for languages of ME.

Quote:
Where did the vocabulary of the Black Speech come from? Surely Sauron had no more "love of words or things" than his servants had, and one might well think that he simply invented words arbitrarily. This may be true in some cases, but it appears that he also picked words from many sources, even the Elvish languages: "The word uruk that occurs in the Black Speech, devised (it is said) by Sauron to serve as a lingua franca for his subjects, was probably borrowed by him from the Elvish tongues of earlier times" (WJ:390). Uruk may be similar to Quenya urco, orco or Sindarin orch, but it is identical to the ancient Elvish form *uruk (variants *urku, *uruku, whence Q urco, and *urkô, whence perhaps S orch). But how could Sauron know Primitive Quendian? Was he the one who took care of the Elves Morgoth captured at Cuiviénen, and perhaps even responsible for the "genetic engineering" that transformed them into Orcs? As a Maia, he would easily have interpreted their tongue (WJ:406). To the first Elves, Morgoth and his servants would be *urukî or "horrors", for the original meaning of the word was that vague and general, and Sauron may have delighted in telling the captured Elves that they were to become *urukî themselves. In his mind, the word evidently stuck.

But there were also other sources for Black Speech vocabulary. The word for "ring" was nazg, very similar to the final element in the Valarin word mâchananaškâd "the Doom-ring" (WJ:401, there somewhat differently spelt). Being a Maia, Sauron would know Valarin; it could indeed be his "mothertongue", to use the only term available. If it seems blasphemous to suggest that the tongue of the Gods may have been an ingredient in Sauron's Black Speech, "full of harsh and hideous sounds and vile words", it should be remembered that according to Pengolodh, "the effect of Valarin upon Elvish ears was not pleasing" (WJ:398). Morgoth, technically being a Vala, must have known Valarin (or at least picked it up during the ages he was captive in Valinor). According to LR:178 he taught it to his slaves in a "perverted" form. If so, Valarin naškâd "ring" may have produced nazg in one Orkish dialect of the Second Age, from which Sauron took it.
Here is a link if you would like: languages and stuff
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 04:29 PM   #3
Meoshi
Wight

Meoshi has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

A Maia. Sauron was a Maia.

Another thing: Why did the Elves shudder at hearing the Black Speech at Rivendell? Was it that awful-sounding? Or was it the link to Valarin?
Meoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 04:35 PM   #4
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

Good question. Maybe both?
Old 02-28-2003, 04:56 PM   #5
doom _huntress

The Eye

why would elves (who weren't still exiled) shudder in apparent horror if it was linked to the valar? it was obviously not as valarish (if that's the right word) as well as elvish was a language of beauty and song and this language was harsh and stony. i think it's probably derived from an ancient orcish as the sounds and words are very similar.
Old 02-28-2003, 05:00 PM   #6
Meoshi
Wight

Meoshi has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Remember that Orcs had no unique language of their own; they perverted the languages of others, filling them with their foul curses.

Perhaps the Black Speech is completely unique? Sauron doesn't seem like a lingual type, but if you are a Dark Lord, it might be handy to have your own language, if only to use it as a code.
Meoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 08:54 PM   #7
Lady Alasse
Wight

Lady Alasse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wasn't Gandalf also a Maiar, he could also speak the black speach. Where does it say that Valarin was harsh on the ears? I'm just wondering. I always thought it would sound nice. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
He teacheth my hands to war; so that a bow of steel is broken by my arms.-II Samuel 22:35
Lady Alasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 07:36 PM   #8
Scott
Wight

Scott has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Scott
Tolkien

I don't know how it would sound, but Valarin is described as sounding like the glitter of swords.
I think all of the elves shuddered at the Black Speech in Rivendell just because it was the Black Speech. Not only does it sound scary, but it represents the evil in the world that they fear. Heck, when I heard Gandalf talk in it in the movie, I shuddered myself. Ardalambion has an interesting section on the Black Speech that I think answers most of the questions asked.
~Scott
Old 05-26-2003, 03:35 PM   #9
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I have also read that Valarin sounded harsh to the ears of the Elves, just because it contained a lot of "zh" sounds and others similar to that. Think of a harsher-sounding version of Khuzdul. As for Sauron taking elements from Valarin, I wouldn't put it past him. I remember reading somewhere that Sauron could not create, he could only corrupt. So it would make sense that he would take bits of other languages and corrupt them into something that all "good people" would instantly shudder at.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 08:53 AM   #10
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Why did the Elves shudder at hearing the Black Speech at Rivendell?
They shuddered not only because it sounded harsh but mainly because of the words. These were the very words that they heard when Sauron first put on the One Ring. It most likely brought back memories of the horror of the thought of enslavement, not to mention they were the words that started the War in which many of their friends and/or relatives died, and also in which they might still die. It was not just the harsh sound of the Black Speech that made them shudder, but the meaning that the words held for them.

On the argument of Black Speech having its origins in the language of the Maiar, I believe that it is not blasphemous to think so, because every language has its origin somewhere, and the Maiar's language was probably one of Sauron's "native languages". He could not have possibly thought up a languge that was not based on something that he was fluent in or used to. Not even Tolkien did that. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2003, 01:42 PM   #11
Afrodal Fenyar
Haunting Spirit

Afrodal Fenyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
They shuddered not only because it sounded harsh but mainly because of the words. These were the very words that they heard when Sauron first put on the One Ring.
Where was this said, btw? I've read it myself, but can't simply remember it now..

~Eomer
Afrodal Fenyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 03:30 PM   #12
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

FotR: the Council of Elrond
Quote:
Out of the Black Years come the words that the Smiths of Eregion heard, and knew that they had been betrayed.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:11 PM   #13
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Considering how much Sauron enjoyed corrupting all that was good, could it be possible that the reason Black Speech sounds similar to Valarin is that Sauron wanted a corrupted version of Valarin for his slaves to use? In that way, he would have mocked Iluvatar, by saying, "Look, don't I resemble you? I'm doing exactly what you were." That would have greatly hurt Iluvatar and the Valar, which is probably what Sauron was going for.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 06:24 PM   #14
Scott
Wight

Scott has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Scott
Tolkien

Hitting on the main question again, I was just reading the history of the black speech on Ardalambion a few moments ago and I found this:
"Where did the vocabulary of the Black Speech come from? Surely Sauron had no more "love of words or things" than his servants had, and one might well think that he simply invented words arbitrarily. This may be true in some cases, but it appears that he also picked words from many sources, even the Elvish languages: "The word uruk that occurs in the Black Speech, devised (it is said) by Sauron to serve as a lingua franca for his subjects, was probably borrowed by him from the Elvish tongues of earlier times" (WJ:390). Uruk may be similar to Quenya urco, orco or Sindarin orch, but it is identical to the ancient Elvish form *uruk (variants *urku, *uruku, whence Q urco, and *urkô, whence perhaps S orch). But how could Sauron know Primitive Quendian? Was he the one who took care of the Elves Morgoth captured at Cuiviénen, and perhaps even responsible for the "genetic engineering" that transformed them into Orcs? As a Maia, he would easily have interpreted their tongue (WJ:406). To the first Elves, Morgoth and his servants would be *urukî or "horrors", for the original meaning of the word was that vague and general, and Sauron may have delighted in telling the captured Elves that they were to become *urukî themselves. In his mind, the word evidently stuck.

But there were also other sources for Black Speech vocabulary. The word for "ring" was nazg, very similar to the final element in the Valarin word mâchananaškâd "the Doom-ring" (WJ:401, there somewhat differently spelt). Being a Maia, Sauron would know Valarin; it could indeed be his "mothertongue", to use the only term available. If it seems blasphemous to suggest that the tongue of the Gods may have been an ingredient in Sauron's Black Speech, "full of harsh and hideous sounds and vile words", it should be remembered that according to Pengolodh, "the effect of Valarin upon Elvish ears was not pleasing" (WJ:398). Morgoth, technically being a Vala, must have known Valarin (or at least picked it up during the ages he was captive in Valinor). According to LR:178 he taught it to his slaves in a "perverted" form. If so, Valarin naškâd "ring" may have produced nazg in one Orkish dialect of the Second Age, from which Sauron took it."(www.ardalmbion.com)
So I guess it has it's roots in Elvish and Valarin. That is of course if you rely wholeheartedly upon Ardalambion as a viable source of information. I myself do.

~Scott
Old 06-20-2003, 10:00 PM   #15
Baran
Haunting Spirit

Baran has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Scott, it is wise to read the thread before you post.
Baran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 12:05 AM   #16
BobTheGrey

Pipe

I always thought the elves were upset because the dark tongue was being spoken in their home. The people of Middle Earth seem to place great importance on what is spoken where and when. They refuse to talk about evil things at night (LotR:FotR The Shadow of the Past). Another example of this preoccupation with the power speech is more closely related to the subject. Gandalf says in the same chapter that he "will not utter here "(in the shire)" speech of Mordor. I think in their minds it spoils a land and brings evil over it to speak words of such an evil origin in a land as yet untouched by evil. However I might be wrong. Feel free to correct me.

[ June 30, 2003: Message edited by: BobTheGrey ]
Old 07-05-2003, 10:28 PM   #17
turin64

Sting

hey, don`t forget that Morgoth not Sauron started the orcs and such, they were his slaves he was above them and they like so many cultures on earth probably created their own language and with the vulgarnis of them and their language it would quickly be dispised to hear.