The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2003, 08:08 PM   #1
nPiLL
Haunting Spirit

nPiLL has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to nPiLL
Question Should Frodo have been the one to carry the ring?

After watching the movies and reading some of the books, a topic that i have wondered myself is, should Frodo have been the one to carry the ring?

Mostly after watching the movie TTT, it seems that Frodo would never have made it to Mordor without Sam. This raises the option that maybe Sam should have been the one to carry it. Then again, Frodo is very weakened from the ring.

Id like everyone to give their opionion on this topic and name any other characters that you felt may have been worthy of carrying the ring.
nPiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 08:19 PM   #2
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, Frodo should have been the one to carry the Ring. It would have had the same effect on Sam as it had on Frodo, and Frodo was as good a choice as any given the circumstances. A greater man (think Boromir) would probably have succumbed to the power and temptation of the Ring long before Frodo.

Do you have any other possible Ring-bearers in mind?
Old 08-28-2003, 08:32 PM   #3
Voralphion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voralphion has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Since Frodo inherited the ring from Bilbo and he had shown some power to resist its influence on the trip to Rivendell, the council, well Elrond and Gandalf at least, decided that Frodo would be the best bearer of the ring. Whether Sam would have resisted its power longer and better than Frodo is not known. Sure he rejected the images it put into his head when he bore it, but if he had had the ring as long as Frodo had at that stage, maybe he would have been worse effected.
Also I doubt that Sam, even if he had been a more suitable bearer would have been able to throw it in the cracks of doom either, as the power of the ring ther was to great.
Were mirrored in his silver shield
Voralphion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 11:06 PM   #4
Elaron

Sting

I think that Frodo was the best choice to carry the ring. Sam probably could have done it to. Hobbits may have been more immune to the rings power because they dont really desire power or to rule the world. They just want their meals and peace. But if any of the other people at the council had tried to carry the ring they probably wouldnt have made it out of Rivendell before they were overcome by its power.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:39 AM   #5
Maeglin
Wight

Maeglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well obviously the hobbit's are the most fit for the common task to transport evil rings into dangerous places and destroying them. This since they (as said) has few desires than their daily meals. And their ability to travel unnoticed is also of great use.
It seems to me like frodo was the most earnest of the hobbit's in the fellowship wich probably made him the best choice.

I've also noticed that your membernumbers are very high. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

/Maeglin on a visit
Old 08-29-2003, 11:09 AM   #6
nPiLL
Haunting Spirit

nPiLL has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to nPiLL
Sting

Hmm, those are all very good answers. As far as the hobbits carrying the ring goes, I would not trust Merry or Pippin just because they seem to be more of the "wild" type of the hobbits.

Are there any other characters that could have possibly carried it? Legolas? Aragorn? As for Legolas I wouldnt really know if he could have or not. He seems to be very loyal and trustworthy, yet again Galadriel said even she would not be able to carry the ring. Aragorn dosen't seem to be like the normal man that that is described in the books as being a power-hungry being. Perhaps Aragorn could have accomplished this task?

The reason I left out Gimli would have to be because its obvious that he couldnt be trusted with the ring of power lol.
nPiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 02:01 PM   #7
Ophelia
Wight

Ophelia has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Well would it have been so interesting to read if a man (which are very easy to corrupt by the Ring , no matter are they strong in will or not) or an Elf (if even Galadriel , as you said your self, refused to take it) would have taken it ? If they would , no hobbit would appear in TTT . And now that would be sad . And besides , the Council decided to give the Ring to Frodo because of he's big resistance to It's power . So that is my answer . I know it is not much sientific but that is just what I think .
Old 09-01-2003, 12:54 AM   #8
Voralphion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voralphion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
yet again Galadriel said even she would not be able to carry the ring
Although she said she wouldn't be able to carry the ring, this doesn't mean no elf could. Galadriel desired lordship over others, one of the reasons for her leaving Valinor, and so would be more easily corrupted by the ring.
Were mirrored in his silver shield
Voralphion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 10:15 AM   #9
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I totally believe that Frodo was the one so to speak to be the Ring bearer and take the One Ring to Mount Doom and destroy it. Also I do believe that Frodo wouldn't have gotten very far without Sam, but how far would those two have gotten without Gollum?
Old 10-08-2003, 03:52 PM   #10
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ElentariGreenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aragorn woul not have taken the ring, because he feared the weakness an corruption that ran in his veins. He believed that given the same opportunity as Isildur, to cast the ring into the cracks of doom, that he too would fail the task and keep the ring from destruction, later to be betrayed by it.

Hobbits were definately the right choice. Frodo was older and wiser than the others, and also would most likely have had more resistance to the ring's power, even more than Sam. Sam was only 'immune' to the ring's power because he was thinking of Frodo. Because of the love Sam ha for Frodo he could resist the power and return it to the true Ringbearer, as he knew in his heart he should do. Plus, hobbits taking the ring makes a better plot than some other race taking it. ^_-
Old 10-08-2003, 05:01 PM   #11
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Frod was definately the right choice. I think, that deep down, he would not have let it go to anyone else at the council anyway, he had already carried it for how long?

Sam wouldn't have felt right carrying the ring when it was, by all rights, his master's. He would have probably given it back to Frodo anyway.

Merry would have made quite a good ringbearer I think, but he was very young, and wherever Merry went Pippin would surely go. I'll just say that Pippin isn't the most stealthy of all Hobbits.

Pippin, a Took in charge of the ring? Hobbit he may be, but a little quick to act without thought to be a ringbearer.

Boromir, well, we all know what happened to him and Aragorn had another path, plus the whole being a man thing, which makes him suseptable and untrustworthy whether he likes it or not.

Legolas couldn't take it because the Dwarves would be outraged and probably start a revolt. And Gimli couldn't take it because he likes shiny things too much.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:18 PM   #12
Gilbo
Animated Skeleton

Gilbo has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Hobbits are the best choice to bear the ring because they are least desirous of it.To Bilbo, it was never more than a bauble with a useful trick to it. It enabled him to avoid unpleasant, and unwanted, company. Not until later years, when the Ring began to desire him that it became a problem.
Frodo was ideal to bear the ring because the ring came to him. He did not have to CHOOSE to take it. The desire of the ring, and the TAKING of the ring lead to the downfall of the taker. How long do you suppose it would have been an heirloom in Deagol's house had not Smeagol acted on his desire. And look at the result for poor Smaegol. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Gilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 12:04 AM   #13
miellien
Animated Skeleton

miellien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The Ring gives power equal to the measure of its bearer -that's not an exact quote because my books are unreachable at the moment. Hobbits were a good choice because unlike men, elves, Istari, etc. they did not have much power of their own to be corrupted. The power to be loyal and to eat second breakfasts, yes? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2003, 05:01 PM   #14
kittygirl02
Haunting Spirit

kittygirl02 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittygirl02
Sting

Well, think of what Gandalf said, that he was Bilbo's heir,a nd that he was the rightful one to carry the ring.

I may be different, but differences don't make you special.It's what you do with your differences that make you special.
kittygirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 08:36 PM   #15
Nurantien

Sting

In my opinion, I don't think anyone could have carried the Ring all the way to Mount Doom and destroyed it on their own. It was the combined efforts of Sam and Frodo that made it possible for them to make it as far as they did. Even then, if it wasn't for Gollum's desire for the Ring... who knows?
Old 10-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #16
DragonFox713
Newly Deceased

DragonFox713 has just left Hobbiton.
I am honestly of the opinion that Sam would have made a better ring-bearer. It's not that I think Frodo made a bad one, he was very earnest and good-hearted, but he didn't really have any personal motivation to destroy the ring except for saving the Shire. Alternatively Sam's loyalty to Frodo would have encouraged him to resist the ring so that Frodo wouldn't have to bear the burden that he unfairly inherited from Bilbo. Frodo constantly shown signs of giving into despair, and while that can be attributed to the ring whose influence is greatest on it's bearer, it's influence can also effect those around it and the entire time Sam still showed great resolve.

Edit: Holy crap I revived a dead thread, for which I apologize X.X I had just googled "Should Sam have been the Ring-Bearer" and this was the first link that showed up
DragonFox713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:02 AM   #17
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Welcome to the Downs, DragonFox! Since we have a "dead" theme here on the forum, reviving dead or dormant threads is no problem! No need for apologies - please do look around and see what else you find that's interesting. Revived topics can make for fun discussions!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:34 PM   #18
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFox713 View Post
I am honestly of the opinion that Sam would have made a better ring-bearer. It's not that I think Frodo made a bad one, he was very earnest and good-hearted, but he didn't really have any personal motivation to destroy the ring except for saving the Shire. Alternatively Sam's loyalty to Frodo would have encouraged him to resist the ring so that Frodo wouldn't have to bear the burden that he unfairly inherited from Bilbo. Frodo constantly shown signs of giving into despair, and while that can be attributed to the ring whose influence is greatest on it's bearer, it's influence can also effect those around it and the entire time Sam still showed great resolve.

Edit: Holy crap I revived a dead thread, for which I apologize X.X I had just googled "Should Sam have been the Ring-Bearer" and this was the first link that showed up
Firstly, welcome to the Downs

Now, to the point. I feel you are forgetting something: Frodo was Sam's motivation. Sam would not have gone to destroy the Ring, even if he were told he could save the Shire. His true loyalty lies with Frodo. I feel also that pretty much anyone would have shown signs of giving into despair! This is, after all, the One Ring we are talking about While Sam's resolve was great, I would not say Frodo's was any less.

Or perhaps I simply trust Gandalf's words too much