The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
1420! Geeky jokes are the best medicine

I don't know about you guys, but whenever I'm down, I turn to stupid LotR humour to make me happy (that's OK, you don't need to tell me that "this explains a lot," I already know).

Obligatory stupid LotR video.

Obligatory stupid Boromir Photoshop:

Here's hoping your run-up to the holidays isn't as nightmarish as mine (it would be hard to achieve, but just in case...).

And cheers to them starting casting on "The Hobbit."

P.S. Bwahaha. The title of this thread is missing a "y." It should be: "Geeky jokes are the best medicine." Slight fail.

Last edited by Lush; 12-08-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:42 PM   #2
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
*saves the picture and sets it as wallpaper*

I love that vid. "They're taking the Hobbits to Isengard! Ga-ga-ga-gard!"

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:56 AM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lush View Post
The title of this thread is missing a "y." It should be: "Geeky jokes are the best medicine." Slight fail.
Ohai - I fixded it for you - kthksbai.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
Ohai - I fixded it for you - kthksbai.
Haha. That explains it. I was surprised when I clicked on the thread to suddenly see an extra "y" and thought I might just be imagining it.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.

Many lolz for the holidays!

My favorite geeky pleasure is The Guild, though it's the most enjoyable when you've played an MMORPG and get all the references and sad truths.

(I definitely recommend starting with Season 1! Also, I guess I should warn that there is some adult content - pretty much just language and uh...awkward scenes.)
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:39 PM   #6
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindale View Post
I love that vid. "They're taking the Hobbits to Isengard! Ga-ga-ga-gard!"
Hey, indeed But it's really funny. The person who made it certainly took some time with that, it's not just "random" as many videos like that are, it shows some real thinking behind it and it's pretty good. I watched it first in the morning but now I had to watch it again
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I think that video was banned from Youtube (the maker was forced to withdraw it) for a long time ago. Good to see it back.

And not to regret when it is taken away the next time, go and load the "DownloadHelper", if you're using Firefox that is, and download the video to your computer or whichever player you have with you.

Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #8
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I think this is a funny fanfic.

EDIT: Oh, and ignore the voting thing on Chapter 2.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:09 PM   #9
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Advertising your own story? Don't sink so low. Next time just ask me to advertise it for you.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:08 AM   #10
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Hey, indeed But it's really funny. The person who made it certainly took some time with that, it's not just "random" as many videos like that are, it shows some real thinking behind it and it's pretty good. I watched it first in the morning but now I had to watch it again
I think it's not deliberate on the maker's part, but "gaga" is actually a Filipino word for "stupid" or something. So it made it funnier for me and my brother.

Legal Madness.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:22 AM   #11
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
I think it's not deliberate on the maker's part, but "gaga" is actually a Filipino word for "stupid" or something. So it made it funnier for me and my brother.
Interesting, for that matter, I think I have seen it used in English in similar connection too. But who knows where it came from.

Anyway, my favourite part in the video is probably "Tell me where is Gandalf, for I much desire to speak with him" and especially "A Balrog of Morgoth" ("What did you say?"). Put like this, the "r" sounds really stand out wonderfully
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 12-10-2009, 12:07 PM   #12
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
In England it is often used for someone who is senile - and apparently has it's origins in a French word for an old fool. By extension it is used about those who are otherwise demented ie by infatuation.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:28 PM   #13
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakon View Post
Advertising your own story? Don't sink so low. Next time just ask me to advertise it for you.
Meh, I was bored.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:12 PM   #14
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
Meh, I was bored.
And I was online.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:15 PM   #15
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

Most exellent Lush,

glad to see this back again, need all the smiles possible as winter begins to bite ;-)

R
Old 12-12-2009, 04:07 PM   #16
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
After watching it any number of times since Lush first posted it (and thank you for it, I hadn't known it before), I must say one of the funniest things in this very funny and very well-made little video is how the hills keep sweeping by behind Legolas. I mean, what were they up to? Running away from an earthquake? Getting a little exercise after standing there for the last few geological ages? Being stolen while he wasn't looking? Or what?
Old 12-12-2009, 10:27 PM   #17
Nazgûl-king
Wight

Nazgûl-king has just left Hobbiton.
I have seen that video before, it is pretty funny. They also have another one too with Sam and Gollum that I think is pretty funny:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihMMw0rnKz4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin View Post
Ha, this is pretty funny. It is made even funnier for me because the cat actually looks a lot like my mom's cat!

Edit: This is my 100th post here!

Last edited by Nazgûl-king; 12-12-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Nazgûl-king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:09 AM   #18
Lush
Fair and Cold

Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Thumbs up

Haha, I love the Tank Cat.

I think the best thing about "They're taking the Hobbits to Isengard" is how it takes this majestic Hans Zimmer soundtrack and makes it sound so, so dumb.

And thank you, Esty, for amending my fail. You're a real friend.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:43 PM   #19
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Silmarillion in 1000 words. It's funny.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:00 AM   #20
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Hey, that was funny. I especially cracked up at this:

Quote:
SAURON: Okay, that's long enough. Movin' into Dol Guldur.
SARUMAN: It's not him.
Though I figure one has to read it in course of the whole thing for it to have proper impact Also the repeated calendar remark in the end was fun.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #21
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
That's brilliant. Love it.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:47 PM   #22
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The bit about the shinies lol'd me so much

Quote:
VALAR: Oooooh SHINY TREES! Yavanna made shiny trees!
MELKOR: Want shiny.
VALAR: Nope.
MELKOR: Why not?
VALAR: Because you're a jerk.
UNGOLIANT: Want shiny.
MELKOR: Let's go get shiny.
FEANOR: I've made more shiny!
VALAR: Good, 'cos Melkor took ours. Can we have yours?
FEANOR: No! MY SHINIES! MINE!
And this too:

Quote:
ILUVATAR: Did I mention the world is round now?
NUMENOREANS IN EXILE: Well, crap.

Legal Madness.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:20 AM   #23
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I found a new one!

Legal Madness.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:04 PM   #24
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
How LotR should have ended

I'm pretty sure everyone has already seen it, but just in case, here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yqVD0swvWU
Old 01-14-2010, 01:55 AM   #25
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Silly, funny, and oh-so-true.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:21 PM   #26
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Lottie, that is hilarious. I epecially like the commandments, haha.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:23 AM   #27
Lush
Fair and Cold

Eye

This wouldn't be funny, but due to the peculiar magic of movie Legolas, it somehow is:

Old 01-19-2010, 07:15 AM   #28
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
That is all

My god I love this thread!

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #29
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Thumbs up My Day Has Officially Been Made!

All of those links are priceless and the pictures are hilarious!! Oh, and if you haven't seen this yet, you should!
Old 01-19-2010, 03:28 PM   #30
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan View Post
All of those links are priceless and the pictures are hilarious!! Oh, and if you haven't seen this yet, you should!
haha, we totally quoted that a lot on the bus ride!!! love it!

That picture Lush, is both terribly creepy and terribly hilarious.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:47 PM   #31
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Yes. Yes, yes, yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:24 AM   #32
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
That's excellent! One Ring to Rock Them All is also funny.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:06 AM   #33
Lush
Fair and Cold

Pipe

Here's the latest I dug up.

Is it wrong that this stuff just never gets old for me? Probably.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #34
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Quote:
I've seen it oh so many times and it's still funny.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #35
Lush
Fair and Cold

Thumbs up

Ohhh. That's a good one, Kit. Right-click-save.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #36
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Silmaril

Got a good one here, haha:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_25OvsirIxJ...0-h/lord12.jpg

Old 03-10-2010, 09:39 AM   #37
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Sauron made an appearance in one of my favorite geeky webcomics today...

If you liked it then you should have put a ring on it...

Old 03-14-2010, 12:18 PM   #38
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
An old one, but not widely known I think.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:57 AM   #39
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
It doesn't get geekier than the "Big Bang Theory"; here's a Gollum and the Ring video clip.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:31 AM   #40
Lush
Fair and Cold

Pipe

Perfect.

Here's another one I adore (and really ought to use at every opportunity):