The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2009, 11:21 PM   #1
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
David Eddings dies.

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/87...ings-dies.html

I remember reading his Belgariad sequence many years ago & enjoying it immensely. I didn't read anything else of his, but, well, happy memories of the world he created & sadness at his passing.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Whatever can be said of his later works, the Belgariad and its sequel series (the name of which I can't sadly remember) are brilliantly entertaining, captivating and funny works of literature. Rest in peace, Mister Eddings.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:05 PM   #3
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
(the name of which I can't sadly remember)
The Mallorean - which I didn't read myself. I don't think Eddings work has the depth (or touches the heights) of Tolkien's, but the Belgariad is a nice escapist read, uplifting, clever & funny (as I remember - its over 20 years since I read it). I have the urge to re-read it now, but am afraid of being disappointed - 'There's no going back...' & all that. Then again, maybe I'll dig out a copy of Pawn of Prophecy just to see.....
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:43 PM   #4
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
The Mallorean - which I didn't read myself. I don't think Eddings work has the depth (or touches the heights) of Tolkien's, but the Belgariad is a nice escapist read, uplifting, clever & funny (as I remember - its over 20 years since I read it). I have the urge to re-read it now, but am afraid of being disappointed - 'There's no going back...' & all that. Then again, maybe I'll dig out a copy of Pawn of Prophecy just to see.....
I loved Eddings when I was 10-12 years old and reread the Belgariad a few years ago with very low expectations (everybody had dissed Eddings so much that I thought I must have had a bad taste as a kid) and was positively surprised. It was good. But now, last autumn, I read his later Elenium series (which I also liked as a kid) and was really disappointed - it was funny and captivating, but it was also sort of dorky, chauvinistic, approving of violence and maybe worst of all, copying the characters of his earlier works (although I did notice that last part even back then as a kid)...

Anyway, I agree about him not reaching the depths of Tolkien or even such "lighter" authors as George R.R. Martin or Robin Hobb, but the Belgariad at least is well worth the read for someone who wishes to a) have a well-written and amusing fantasy story to entertain him/herself with or b) know the "basic works" of the fantasy genre.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dűm

Nessa Telrunya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Nessa Telrunya
David Eddings has had some great books, and I will forever remember Sir Ulath, no matter what the favorites are