The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2008, 01:58 PM   #41
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andsigil View Post
Yes,

Read the part in the Fellowship when the Council discussed the idea of throwing the ring into the ocean.

p. 280
(Glorfindel) "Yet oft in lies truth is hidden: in the Sea it would be safe."
"Not safe for ever", said Gandalf, "There are many things in the deep waters; and seas and lands may change."
Well, "things" by itself doesn't say anything

But combined with what I posted above, we can conclude at least one thing: the sea is not completely deserted

Yes, but likely, there is something which might eventually maybe even bring the Ring to Sauron? Or how else to read this remark? Considering the opposition water X evil, which is very strong in all Tolkien's works, it seems unlikely that there would be really Sauron's or Morgoth's monsters down there - rather, I would think there may be something like Gollum, which could eventually bring the Ring to Sauron... and as for the "voices terrible to mortal ears" and the things that have these voices, I am inclined to believe in some kind of creatures which are not necessarily evil, but it will be advisable for the "dry-walkers" not to meddle with them - something like, for example, Huorns.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:04 PM   #42
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye See, gulls are sitting there! Beware! Gulls do not sink.

Oh, Bethberry Andsigil and Legate,

how could you forget

Quote:
There are many monsters in the Sea,
But none so perilous as HE,
Old horny Fastitocalon,
Whose mighty kindred all have gone
Old 09-05-2008, 05:56 PM   #43
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
The thing that has eyes for hands and devours people, oops wrong movie. Umm an army of trained, yet wild boars...wait that's not from the books.

Ok, I got it. The imagery of Grima slithering on the floor or the Mouth of Sauron's horse.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:52 AM   #44
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
10. Gollum. All that talk about him crawling through windows and stealing babies just makes me shudder.

9. The Watcher.

8. Balrogs, specifically the Balrog that overthrew the kingdom of Khazad-Dum. I can just picture him reeking havoc across the great halls and mines.

7. The Old Forest. Those are some angry trees!

6. The dungeons of Barad-Dur. It is scary to think about all the possible devices that Sauron might have used on his prisoners.

5. The far north. It's where the greatest evil always comes out of and there just might be some remnants of that ancient evil left.

4. Carcharoth

3. The Barrow Wights. The thing that scares me the most is to think that they were once great men now fallen and cursed by the Witch King.

2. Morgoth, the power-fullest of all the Valar. The depiction of him fighting Fingolfin is just amazing.

1. Nazgul, by far the scariest things that Sauron ever created. The concept of the living dead has been around for years but Tolkien really nails it with these nine.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:39 PM   #45
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
The Barrow Wights. The thing that scares me the most is to think that they were once great men now fallen and cursed by the Witch King.
Actually, not, mind you. That's one common mistake. The Barrow-Wights are evil spirits which have nothing to do with the Dúnedain or Men from there. The spirits of the Men from there hopefully already departed to where Men go after death. Cf. for example LotR, Appendix A, I, iii:
Quote:
It was at this time that an end came of the Dúnedain of Cardolan, and evil spirits out of Angmar and Rhudaur entered into the deserted mounds and dwelt there.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:48 PM   #46
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Rhudaur? That's the realm where Rivendell is, how can evil spirits dwell there? Hmm... I'm going to have to look up on that.

Thanks ,Legate, for clearing me up on that and sparking my interest in it!
Old 09-06-2008, 02:26 PM   #47
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Out of left field here maybe

for she is one of my favourites but maybe Galadriel - think of the effect on that toughest of all tough nuts Gimli:

The travellers now turned their faces to the journey; the sun was before them, and their eyes were dazzled, for all were filled with tears. Gimli wept openly.

"I have looked the last upon that which was fairest," he said to Legolas his companion. "Henceforward I will call nothing fair, unless it be her gift." He put his hand to his breast.

"Tell me, Legolas, why did I come on this Quest? Little did I know where the chief peril lay! Truly Elrond spoke, saying that we could not foresee what we might meet upon our road. Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord. Alas for Gimli son of Gloin!"

The power to make a dwarf cry - now THAT is scary.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:43 PM   #48
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Now that I came to think about it, the only things that really creep me out in Tolkien's books are hints - hints such as the given examples about things in the Sea, or rumours of darkness gathering in the East in the very beginning (that is one thing I forgot to mention in my last post, though it is probably one of the most disquieting things in the whole LotR), or dark things that creep in the northern wilderness.

The proud, ambitious people who fall into madness are a different thing entirely, they are, as has been said, scary in a different way. But scary nonetheless, I insist.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:01 PM   #49
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thats a good point Greenie. I remember Mirkwood seeming scary when I first discovered the Hobbit and I still puzzle why Gandalf, Beorn and Bilbo went the long way around to get home even after they had the blessing of The Elvenking to pass through.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:49 AM   #50
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
for she is one of my favourites but maybe Galadriel - think of the effect on that toughest of all tough nuts Gimli:

The travellers now turned their faces to the journey; the sun was before them, and their eyes were dazzled, for all were filled with tears. Gimli wept openly.

"I have looked the last upon that which was fairest," he said to Legolas his companion. "Henceforward I will call nothing fair, unless it be her gift." He put his hand to his breast.

"Tell me, Legolas, why did I come on this Quest? Little did I know where the chief peril lay! Truly Elrond spoke, saying that we could not foresee what we might meet upon our road. Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord. Alas for Gimli son of Gloin!"

The power to make a dwarf cry - now THAT is scary.
She always makes me think of Margaret Thatcher (with a better haircut, nicer clothes and less of a liking for South American dictators) with her aura of frightening determination. Like that alleged story about her having a meal with her Cabinet where she was asked what she wanted:
Mrs T: "I'll have the steak."
Waiter: "And what about the vegetables, madam?"
Mrs T: "They'll have what I'm having."

Or was that just Spitting Image?
Old 09-11-2008, 06:11 AM   #51
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
She always makes me think of Margaret Thatcher (with a better haircut, nicer clothes and less of a liking for South American dictators) with her aura of frightening determination. Like that alleged story about her having a meal with her Cabinet where she was asked what she wanted:
Mrs T: "I'll have the steak."
Waiter: "And what about the vegetables, madam?"
Mrs T: "They'll have what I'm having."

Or was that just Spitting Image?
I think that was just spitting image.... but I did meet someone who had hosted Sir Denis as a guest speaker for a dinner and he proffered his empty gin glass "any chance of another one of these?- it's true what they say about me you know!"

Yeah I could think of him as Celeborn.... wonder if the wise one kept hitting the miruvor ...

Old 09-11-2008, 12:56 PM   #52
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
The old forest- trees that can hate, and go against you, and do things when your back is turned.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:41 AM   #53
Diane C
Pile O'Bones

Diane C has just left Hobbiton.
I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say Tom Bombadil!

Obviously Tom is by no means evil, and neither is he terrifying to look at. But its just the fact little is known about "him" that scares me most, surprisingly.

It is unknown whether Tom has greater power over Sauron, or whether Tom can stand an attack from Mordor on his land. Tom is indeed very powerful but it is also said that he is not a mere mortal and would therefore not concern himself with the threat & subsequent consequences should Sauron possess the Ring once more and reign terror on Middle Earth!

Tolkien hinted that Tom was more or less "created" shortly after the beginning of time in Middle Earth - is he of flesh & blood or a spritual entity, we don't really know, even though he is one of the oldest life-forms on the planet, older than any the elves & wizards, as far as we know.

Putting all these factors together, plus a number of unknown factors, and we end up with one very scarey individual in my eyes
Old 11-07-2008, 05:43 PM   #54
Gothbogg the Ripper
Wight

Gothbogg the Ripper has just left Hobbiton.
The scariest thing Tolkien ever created? it's a tie.
On the one hand you've got Smeagol, a psychotic, schizophrenic killer who would kill his own mother if it meant he got his mitts on the Ring.
And on the other you've got Shelob, a grotesque, bulbous spider that would just love to eat you alive.
I can't decide between these two.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:35 PM   #55
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
The Nazgul taking off their clothes (stop thinking of uncloaking jokes!) in order to become fully invisibe
Old 11-18-2008, 02:45 PM   #56
Gordis
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gordis is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
The Nazgul taking off their clothes (stop thinking of uncloaking jokes!) in order to become fully invisibe
What? are you scared by grey robes and helms of silver?
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:31 PM   #57
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis View Post
What? are you scared by grey robes and helms of silver?
I mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hunt for the Ring
It is probable that the Captain took the one horse that remained (he may have had strength to withdraw it from the flood) and unclad, naked, invisible, rode as swift as he could back to Mordor
[bolding mine]
Old 11-19-2008, 05:43 AM   #58
Gordis
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gordis is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I know... we are just discussing naked nazgul here http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=15176
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:30 PM   #59
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
I'm not totally sure but I don't think anyone has mention the cursed men of Erech.

Quote:
The dead are following
Baldor's skeleton and his finger marks on the door.

Quote:
The way is shut.
It was made by those who are Dead.
And the Dead keep it.
Until the time comes.
The way is shut.
All frankly terrifying.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:34 AM   #60
Aaron
Haunting Spirit

Aaron has just left Hobbiton.
I think that the Mewlips are quite freaky. They carry your bones around in a sack.
Although the Barrow-Wights are much worse in my opinion. They inhabit a graveyard, possess the bodies of the dead and seem to hypnotise you with their dreary singing.
That's pretty unsettling.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:48 AM   #61
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
...possess the bodies of the dead and seem to hypnotise you with their dreary singing.
The Cure seemed to have that effect on many folks some years ago.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:30 AM   #62
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Dunno, it sounded more like he was describing Girls Aloud to me....
Old 02-11-2009, 02:53 PM   #63
thewichtking
Animated Skeleton

thewichtking is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
1420!

i think it's pretty scary when the orc's cut off the head's of all the dead gondor soldiers and then catapult them at the city that scared me a lot when i first read the books

Old 02-11-2009, 04:55 PM   #64
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
The ringwraiths is by far the most scary creations ever!
Well, actually it is the black riders I find scary and not the consept of a ringwraith.

What I find scariest is when they hunt Frodo, especially when Frodo and friends look up the hill that they came from and see a black rider on the top. That always make me look over my shoulder. . .half expecting to see a cloaked figure standing behind me.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #65
TheOrcWithNoName
Animated Skeleton

TheOrcWithNoName has just left Hobbiton.
Ungoliant - the evil spirit & queen of the Giant Spiders that roamed Middle Earth.

I am not keen on spiders in the real world at the best of times, but given how Tolkien describes the Great Spiders from The Silmarillion, that even the great Melkor himself feared her and ultimately suffered her wrath.

I think of Shelob, but on a much more greater, more terrifying scale than the spider that attacked Frodo. Ungoliant is like my worst ever nightmare, a nightmare that lasts a lifetime of unwoken dread & fear
Old 04-30-2010, 12:10 AM   #66
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Here I come drudging up an ancient thread from the bottom of the sea...

MY LIST OF TOP FIVE NIGHTMARE-FUEL TOLKIEN CREATIONS

(01) The Silmarils / For from the Silmarils all chaos and bloodshed hailed...
...... I have always considered their creation to be parallel to the Original Sin of Adam and Eve, who by partaking of the fruit aspired to be more than mortal.

(02) Gurthang, Turin's Bloodthirsty Sentient Sword /
...... "Yes, I will drink thy blood gladly, that so I may forget the blood of Beleg my master and the blood of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly."

(03) Hurin's Eyes (No wonder, considering what he had seen done to his children) /
...... "Hurin had grown grim to look upon: his hair and beard were white and long, but there was a fell light in his eyes."

(04) Feanor and His Oath /
...... Feanor was of the Firstborn and yet bore likeness to the children of Men in his spirit; in he existed both the promise and the downfall of Mankind.

(05) Nazgul / Souless shades steering the steeds of the Revelation. Hey, that alliterates!
Eorl of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:47 AM   #67
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Dark-Eye

Hmm tough one. I don't think I have any preferences, but my list would definitely include Minas Morgul, The Watcher in the Water, Ulmo, Balrogs, Nazgul, Sauron, Melkor, Ungoliant and The Two Watchers.
Galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:41 AM   #68
deagol
Pile O'Bones

deagol has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Whatever is beyond the edge of the map.
deagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #69
Peregrin Took
Animated Skeleton

Peregrin Took has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Scariest?

The Barrow-downs. Imagine Frodo's fear, being all alone in the gloom and mist of night, before being overcome by the Wight? Alas!
Old 05-09-2010, 03:51 PM   #70
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Ted Sandyman.

Because I know people like that.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:18 PM   #71
spirit_of_fire
Pile O'Bones

spirit_of_fire has just left Hobbiton.
What about Gollum, from the woodsmens point of view in the lord of the rings, I think when Gandalf was discussing him to frodo or at the council he said something like: "the woodsmen were terrorfied of some new and unknown horror that crept through windows and stole babies from their cribs in the night".

Or the eyes that kept watching bilbo and the dwarves in the pitch black of mirkwood, they would glow in the dark eerily, stare for minutes at a time, and then blink out, only to appear somewhere closer.

The winner of course has to be melkor though, he is the only reason arda has fear, and few of even the most valiant inhabitants of arda could meet his gaze without trembling.
spirit_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:04 PM   #72
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
What I find scariest is when they hunt Frodo, especially when Frodo and friends look up the hill that they came from and see a black rider on the top.
Yes, yes, yes Rune. This is the only bit in the whole of LotR which ever caused me to think twice about sleeping with the lights off ... which for me is the definition of scary!
Old 07-24-2010, 02:30 PM   #73
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron
...possess the bodies of the dead and seem to hypnotise you with their dreary singing.
Still do, still do.

Reading a lot of people's comments about the Nazgul make me think of how often my nightmares are (mostly were) about being chased by an often unseen but terrifying foe.

And the Spiders (those of Mirkwood, Shelob, etc) have an extra layer of terrifyingness (besides simply being spiders, which is scary enough) because they can poison you and wrap you up in a cocoon like a bug. I'm claustraphobic and am terrified of losing control such as one would after being poisoned by Shelob or the Mirkwood spiders...but then the Wight's magic is more frightening in that regard. And at least for the spiders all I need is a flamethrower.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:05 AM   #74
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
After the nightmare of last night I am definitely nominating Black Riders, the Ringwraiths. If Sauron tells them to do something they just go out and do it, whatever way possible. They are completely under his command, they have no will of their own. Their master told them to go out to find Frodo, a clueless hobbit, and take the Ring and what was supposed to happen to Frodo? Who knows, really? Not only that, but they were built off of greed, for money and power and glory. In a human, there's not much more frightening. On a final note; the atmosphere of them is, well, fear. That is plain enough as it is, I think.

I didn't used to think them scary, but now that thought is thrown out the window. I find that my mind can make something much more frightening than Peter Jackson can.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:47 PM   #75
ecthelion
Pile O'Bones

ecthelion has just left Hobbiton.
Nameless things are one of the scariest things I can think of and I dont even know what they look like.
ecthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:07 PM   #76
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The scariest thing is...

Definitely Gandalf the Grey... uncloaked.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #77
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
10. Balrogs. Do not make them mad, unless your idea of a day in the sun is being burnt alive by a magma-whip.

9. Sauron. The engine of destruction in the 3rd Age, and the murderer of millions.

8. Gollum. You never know when he's going to snap, and say GOLLUM...

7. Worgs. Hey cute puppy, do you like when I pet youu....OW! My hand!

6. Morgoth. Would I face Satan on the field of battle? Yes. Would I win? I hope...

5. Nazgul. Relentless pursuers with dark souls and mindless evil...and they are watching you.

4. Ungoliant. A giant spider of unknown origin... but someone out there has to know...

3. Thuringwethil. A vampire. The only one???

2. The Mouth of Sauron. I do not believe he died when Mordor fell. He is still alive...somewhere...watching...

1. The Nameless Things. No question about it, no telling how powerful, ancient, or evil they may be...
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:13 PM   #78
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Simply nothing could be more frightening than the thought of four Hobbits prancing about the Barrow-downs stark naked.

Speculating on what that hammer-wielding thing in Moria that was disturbed by Pippin looked like though, has always given me a bit of a turn.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:16 PM   #79
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

I'd fled Boston, having concluded my business there, and was happy to be quit of its four lane slightly-moving parking lots that look much like major highways, the life-filled crowds on the streets after dark and that *something* that was just missing from every lungful of air. All of this struck me as I drove home from my airport, cruising warily through the wasteland still called McKeesport. It was night (though day doesn't feel much different), and traffic was scattered as everyone was just passing through just like me, to leave the place as quickly as the red lights would allow - why these lights still exist, when there is rarely cross-traffic, I'll never know. I'd left the windows down, catching the scent that will always remind me of the place, a mix of tire-fire and that coppery taste you get from blood in the back of your throat. Ah, the path home.

No one - you might not understand this sentence as I write it - but no one was on the streets or sidewalks, not by the deserted three story bank building, not in the windows of the corner gas station, not even down some black cut between buildings. The city was dead.

It was hours before midnight.

You may find a 'bad part of town,' with a small crowd or two looking hungrily your way 'creepy.' What would you feel when you drive through a smaller city, down Main street, and it's empty, broken, decaying, silent, lifeless?

I wouldn't get out of my car, streets deserted or no.

But there are people there. I know this. I've seen them in the day, I read the police blotter about their actions at night. Thought about riding through some night with a special camera with infrared vision, which would help me see into the dark places. Better would be heat vision, where anything warmer than the street would be visible.

But what if something moved, yet had no heat signature?

That, I'd guess, would be a zombie. Living so close to Pittsburgh, we take our zombies seriously. Have a procedure at work for dealing with a zombie apocalypse (Hint: hire slower-moving coworkers). What's creepy about zombies is that, once, they were your neighbors, your friends, your coworkers, and now they're trying to eat you, and you have to separate the walking, staggering undead from their heads to get them to stop. Zombies were human once, but now are predators and you're the prey. Run bunny run! Zombies are relentless - once you're targeted, zombies will pursue you until destroyed or they find another target. You're never safe, as they have but one mission, which is to find a living meal. If you hole up somewhere 'safe,' you may find the next day you are surrounded by a moat of zombies, all moaning, all waiting for you or your defenses to fail.

And you start finding it hard to trust other non-zombies, as if a person is bitten, he/she will turn into a zombie, which you will have to destroy, and as everyone knows this, that this infection is just a misstep a way, no one volunteers any information about 'little scratches' which might be bite marks. One minute that helpful guy is sharing his food; the next he wants some of it back, and he'll get it himself mind you, even though you'd eaten it.

Zombies are a bit like Terminators, for those of you aware of the James Cameron movies of the same name. These are machine zombies, not as human (if at all), and so you don't hesitate taking one down. They too have only one goal, which is to find (usually a specific person) and assassinate you, not caring what collateral damage happens along the way. Terminators are differently difficult as they typically pack some firepower, are much more mobile, and are full of 'tricks' that are used to deceive the unwary. A Terminator may take on another's voice to making you think that the person is there, though it's only the machine-zombie lying in wait.

They employ other deceits, much like Bram Stoker's vampires do. First you think they're dead; the next moment they've arisen to draw your blood. You think you're safe as he's up there and your down here, and then you see Dracula climbing down the sheer wall, spider-like, and then you know that you're not safe at all.

They are coming for you.

And that's what the Nazgul are like, to me.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #80
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deagol View Post
Whatever is beyond the edge of the map.
True that. And by the way, I find the end of Maglor really creepy. I wonder what happened to him...
Sad, because he's one of my favourites (HE BEATS DAERON ANY TIME AHA!).

Sorry...