The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2008, 10:38 AM   #1
samwise7
Pile O'Bones

samwise7 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Tolkien Tattoo

I just got myself a Tolkien tattoo!

I was thinking about it for several years, and finally just got it done.

I got Tolkien's Sigil.

For those with a keen eye, you can see some LOTR action figures in the top left of the picture, hehe.
A sane being would have given up, but Samwise burned with a magnificent madness; a growing obsession to surmount every obstacle. He knew he would try again, fail perhaps, and try once more, a thousand thousand times if need be.
samwise7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Looks nice!
You know, when I first read the title I was worried you had gotten the face of the Professor, that might have looked a bit odd.
And nice figures, good old cave troll
Old 01-17-2008, 03:47 PM   #3
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Hope it doesn't start to sag or stretch when you get old. That would be ironic and gross.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:37 PM   #4
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
Didn't the entire film fellowship get one done or something? And no offence tattoos are a big no for me. I always think I'd regret having it done...
Old 01-17-2008, 10:11 PM   #5
samwise7
Pile O'Bones

I've been a big Tolkien geek since I can remember, even as a little kid I loved it (animated movies).

I don't regret it at all. In fact, I'm already thinking about another one, but not sure what else to get.

I thought about getting the Gondor symbol of the White tree and 7 stars, if I can find a good version of it somewhere. At least I think it was 7 stars, it's been awhile since I looked at it.

But that will be awhile before I get it, as they aren't exactly cheap.
A sane being would have given up, but Samwise burned with a magnificent madness; a growing obsession to surmount every obstacle. He knew he would try again, fail perhaps, and try once more, a thousand thousand times if need be.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:13 PM   #6
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

Nice ink!

I have 2 Tolkien tattoos myself.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:37 AM   #7
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Yes, the entire Fellowship got a tattoo of the number 9 in Sindarin I think.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:07 AM   #8
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Except for John Rhys-Davies, if I recall correctly - I think his stunt double doubled for him at the tattoo parlour as well!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:53 PM   #9
samwise7
Pile O'Bones

Quote:
I have 2 Tolkien tattoos myself.
Do you mind if I ask what the tattoos were of?
Old 01-18-2008, 11:48 PM   #10
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
On my left lower leg, I have one of the earlier emblems Tolkien drew for Idril. It's about 2" in diameter and reminds me of a really lovely compass rose.

On my right lower leg, I have a copy of a sprig of holly Tolkien drew in the Father Christmas book along with "Pio" in Quenya mode tengwar. Holly and name together are about the same size as the Idril emblem.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:08 AM   #11
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I have actually been considering getting a Tolkien related tattoo...I have several and thought a LOTR one would be a great addition..I'm not sure what I would get exactly... Something elvish perhaps?... Or maybe the one ring..... too many possibilities. any ideas?
Old 01-19-2008, 10:52 AM   #12
samwise7
Pile O'Bones

I bought a book called J.R.R. Tolkien Artist & Illustrator and it had some interesting designs in it, but many of them were not really LOTR related.

I thought the Mines of Moria door would be interesting (but big).

Sauron's Eye

One Ring with elvish would be great if you could find a good image somewhere that the Tattoo artist could stencil.

I like the Elvish script idea, but you might have to find someone fluent in Elvish to help you write what you want to write.

Favorite passages from the books or movies might work.

The White Tree

Pick one of many of the LOTR paintings and see if some talented artist could do it for you.

Lots of possibilities, but make sure whatever you get before you get it done.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:11 AM   #13
samwise7
Pile O'Bones

I thought this was a pretty cool looking image of the White Tree

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DN

Having the Elvish Inscription of the One Ring around your arm sounds kind of cool.

Last edited by samwise7; 01-19-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:16 PM   #14
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I've always thought the Ring inscription as an armband would be cool*. Or 'round the navel.

Last edited by Oddwen; 01-19-2008 at 12:18 PM. Reason: *Er, yeah, cross-posted.
Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:06 PM   #15
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ideally....

I'd have "Property of Mithalwen" tatooed on to Faramir

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 04:22 AM   #16
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I'd have "Property of Mithalwen" tatooed on to Faramir
Meh.

If you google you soon come up with some great (and some not so great!) designs that people have had done. I remember seeing a guy who'd had the whole ring verse done all across his back, it was a huge tattoo, and very impressive, but I can't find the pics now

I like the bolder designs best, symbols etc. Though having a Tengwar tattoo is very common these days apparently - and it's always good to run the script past someone you trust before getting the ink done, just in case some trickster has written "bum" in Tengwar for you or something
Old 01-26-2008, 11:34 PM   #17
samwise7
Pile O'Bones

It would be funny to get something tattooed in Elvish, and have it say something completely random.

"Eat at Joe's!"

hehe.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #18
Feanor_genious
Newly Deceased

Feanor_genious has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Tatts

I got the Stars of Feanor tattooed on my left calf, last week, it is really good. Always get loads of compliments about the design see attached.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jedimentat/5013219874/

If your a truly devoted Tolkien fan and you want a Tolkien tatt, get it done but make sure its a good tattoo artist,
Feanor_genious is offline   Reply With Quote